Start by marking “Mrs. Pargeter's Package” as Want to Read:
Mrs. Pargeter's Package

Mrs. Pargeter's Package (Mrs Pargeter #3)

3.56 of 5 stars 3.56  ·  rating details  ·  291 ratings  ·  28 reviews
Although a trip to Corfu is not Mrs Pargeter's usual idea of a holiday, keeping a recently widowed friend company overrules her misgivings. But when that friend starts behaving strangely and is then found having apparently committed suicide, Mrs Pargeter resolves to get to the bottom of the mystery.
Published December 12th 2011 by Severn House Digital (first published 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Mrs. Pargeter's Package, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mrs. Pargeter's Package

Mrs Pargeter is such a great character. Pushy and determined and not allowing the sinister policeman to intimidate her, she ignores his threats against her and starts her own murder investigation. One of her father's criminal cronies happens to live in the very village where she is visiting and he provides great assistance. Each book adds more of her late husband's pals who are dedicated to helping her whenever she asks. They held her late "criminal" husband in such high regard that when he aske ...more
This series has really grown on me. I can't claim that they're great mysteries or insightful novels, but they are a lot of fun and I greatly enjoy spending a few hours in Mrs Pargeter's company.

(Brett does a great job reading his novels on audiobook, so if you're into those I especially recommend this series.)
"From the beginning of their package tour to Corfu, Mrs. Pargeter could see her recently widowed friend was having a frightful time. And the vacation got worse. Poor, overwrought, bewildered Joyce Dover bled to death in her whitewashed room in the Villa Elini.

"But the good Mrs. P. had pull. With the help of some mildly unsavory associates she traced Joyce Dover's former husband from South America to England and back to Corfu -- and to a secret hidden within a family called Karaskakis. Between th
Orinoco Womble (tidy bag and all)
A better read than the first two Pargeter novels. The characters are more credible, and I've lowered my expectations of Brett as a novelist and taken it for what it is--a mild divertissement. Many of the characters in this installment are so two-dimensional they don't even have names (such as the Blonde Secretaries); Mr Brett enjoys dealing with The British Stereotype. The plot is a bit better woven, though the reader of course is streets ahead of Mrs P. this time.

Mrs P's Cofu holiday starts out
I just love Simon Brett novels. This was entertaining, well-written and a decent mystery to boot. I enjoyed the descriptions of Greece as well.
I wanted to put in an excerpt, to illustrate what I love about Mrs. P and this series. Mrs. P, for reason's I won't disclose, needs to get to Greece outside of official channels (something her upright personality would usually cringe from), so she visits H.R.H., the exclusive and pricey travel agent to the underworld. As she's walking through the well-appointed offices filled with well dressed, beautiful assistants, she overhears the following. (I imagined this in well-bred English accents, and ...more
this is my second reading of the Mrs Pargeter series (the first time being a good 15 years ago at least).
this book is better than the first couple in the series with a more interesting plot and more characters appearing from the late Mr P's business career.

so far though none of the books seem as entertaining on a repeat visit. the same feeling has accompanied recent re-readings of the other series character from this time, Charles Paris.
3.5 I do enjoy these light 'cozy mysteries'. Just a simple story with quirky characters.
These books are great "lite" reading, not very complex, but fun and easy.
Emna Ghrabli
This one's not bad at all
Mrs. Pargeter must have been the pre-cursor to Carole and Jude. I love how tongue-in-cheek the author is about all of these women. Mrs. Pargeter has a lot of help in this story solving the mystery, but she's aided by two very stand-up criminals. The ending was a bit predictable, but this was a very enjoyable summer read.
Brett has created a most enlivened series with a cast of exceptional characters. Just when you think you solved current mystery it takes a new turn. Thus far my favorite in series which I recommend to anyone with a like of mysteries.
Set in Corfu, where the local atmosphere is admirably captured, Mrs Pargeter takes a holiday with a friend. But when misfortune strikes, Mrs P has to put her sleuthing to good effect to make sure that a satisfactory solution is arrived at.
Read this years ago. Vaguely recall the plot. Loved the heroine and her unique network of associates. Stopped reading the series because I had read all volumes available at the time.
Quick easy read. You can barely call it a mystery just because it is so simplistic. But fine enough if you want some thing you can easily breeze through.
This light mystery features a protagonist with a variety of 'contacts' from her dead husband's shady past; unfortunately its "deus ex machina" resolution mars its ending for me.
Nice British lighthearted mysteries, but Mrs. Pargeter's philosophical and moral views are beginning to grate a bit.
Fun little trip to Greece with Mrs. P. Lots of twists and turns. Nice summer reading.
Simple mystery, entertaining to listen to during commute. Main character is spunky.
Enjoyed this one better than the last. Nice little twist at the end.
very good - love this character
Light, but enjoyable, village cozy.
Fun. Lots of characters.
  • To Perish In Penzance (Dorothy Martin, #7)
  • Mrs. Jeffries Reveals Her Art (Mrs. Jeffries, #12)
  • Agatha Raisin and the Wizard of Evesham (Agatha Raisin, #8)
  • Dying Room Only (Pennyfoot Hotel Mystery, #11)
  • Harold at the North Pole
  • Rumpole of the Bailey
  • The Affair of the 39 Cufflinks (Burford Family Mysteries, #3)
  • Thale's Folly
  • The Lamplighter
  • Death to Go (Bill Slider, #3)
Simon Brett is a prolific British writer of whodunnits.

He is the son of a Chartered Surveyor and was educated at Dulwich College and Wadham College, Oxford, where he got a first class honours degree in English.

He then joined the BBC as a trainee and worked for BBC Radio and London Weekend Television, where his work included 'Hitch-Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy' and 'Frank Muir Goes Into ...'.

More about Simon Brett...

Mrs Pargeter (7 books)
  • A Nice Class of Corpse (Mrs. Pargeter, #1)
  • Mrs, Presumed Dead (Mrs Pargeter, #2)
  • Mrs. Pargeter's Pound of Flesh (Mrs Pargeter, #4)
  • Mrs. Pargeter's Plot (Mrs Pargeter, #5)
  • Mrs. Pargeter's Point of Honour (Mrs. Pargeter, #6)
  • Mrs Pargeter's Principle (Mrs Pargeter, #7)
The Body on the Beach (Fethering, #1) Death on the Downs (Fethering, #2) The Torso in the Town (Fethering, #3) Murder in the Museum (Fethering, #4) A Nice Class of Corpse (Mrs. Pargeter, #1)

“The only situation which might justify panic is one in which panic is likely to help. Such a situation never arises. Though pretended panic may sometimes cause a useful diversion, real panic can never be anything other than a waste of energy.” 8 likes