Start by marking “The Art of Short Selling (A Marketplace Book)” as Want to Read:
The Art of Short Selling (A Marketplace Book)

The Art of Short Selling (A Marketplace Book)

To "sell short" on Wall Street, an investor finds overpriced stocks and then deals them before actually buying them. Regularly falling in and out of favor, the discipline remains one of the financial market's highest-risks but most profitable practices. The Art of Short Selling by Kathryn Staley, an expert in the field, uses examples and instructions to show how it can be ...more
Published January 15th 1997 by John Wiley & Sons (first published December 9th 1996)

To ask other readers questions about The Art of Short Selling, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Art of Short Selling

Asif
Mar 03, 2017 Asif rated it it was amazing
Pleasantly surprised with this book as I had low expectations to begin with. The actual book was fun and even for an analyst like me with 8 years of experience I managed to get a lot of new insights. The writing is direct and to the point without the storytelling flair that people like Michael Lewis has managed in his books.
Senthil
Aug 31, 2014 Senthil rated it really liked it
spellbound
Matthew
Apr 23, 2013 Matthew rated it really liked it
Shelves: markets
Superb. I've heard Kathryn Staley speak and she is sharp, thoughtful and dry, a very charming combination. (http://www.frankvoisin.com/2012/05/15...) This book is on hedge fund reading lists but I hadn't felt compelled to pick it up until after I heard her speak and then I felt I really should. No regrets there. Instead of theory, she discusses case study after case study. The chapters are loosely organized by type of short sell candidate. A brief background is given, then a summary of the short ...more
Karthikeyan Mylswamy
As I am not into short selling, this book felt little dry. But the author was clear with the concept and definitely a good read.

I thank the author for getting us to know about the mysterious world of short selling.
Yes & Not Yes
Jan 24, 2009 Yes & Not Yes rated it really liked it
This IS about short selling, but its also about how to read financial statements to find the beginning signs of a bad or unprofitable company. Very good read.
Gabriel Pinkus
Very thorough, very informative, very simple.

I'd like to develop the habit for myself of reading financials with the skepticism of short sellers. Going long with the skepticism of a short seller would prevent looking for confirming evidence which leads to self-serving bias and other unfortunate biases inhibiting rational investment decisions.

Thank you, Kathryn!

I think this book would have been a bit better if Kathryn included some shorts that did NOT work out. You want to learn about when a phil
Brian Zheng
Oct 16, 2011 Brian Zheng rated it it was amazing
Recommended by a few high profile fund managers as a must read and the best book about short selling. A very analytical book. The author categorizes different type of short selling opportunities which is supplied with large number of examples in 80s and 90s. The last chapter is especially helpful as the author lay out the research framework for a shortselling opportunity.
Mike S
Aug 02, 2008 Mike S rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone wanting to learn more about fundamental short selling (not day trading)
Shelves: non-fiction
Great introduction to short selling based on fundamentals (not for day traders). Thorough discussion with lots of examples, the author illustrates her points very clearly, this book was written a few years ago but it's still a very good read. I would recommend this book to anyone who wants to know what it takes to be a successful short trader.
Sid1983
Dec 05, 2014 Sid1983 rated it really liked it
Shelves: purchased, finance
Self note: mostly filled with examples but chapters outlined so relevant points in intro and at end of each chapter. last few chapters summarize the *process* quite well. Have incorporated into checklist
Tyson Strauser
Mar 01, 2010 Tyson Strauser rated it really liked it
Should be on every investor's shelf, a diagnostic of some of the most common short selling themes, including fads and bubbles usually with high multiples, accounting management, and poor cash flow as a leading predictor of earnings deterioration.
Ming
Jan 28, 2009 Ming rated it really liked it
a good book with anecdotal evidence and what to look for in a short. Illustrates invariably the most important lesson in shorting: timing. Also goes over the basics of how to recognize signs of business deterioration and management mumbo jumbo to cover it up.
Steve Hall
The bible on short selling
Evan
Feb 01, 2013 Evan rated it really liked it
Good Short Overview
Brad Favreau
Brad Favreau rated it really liked it
Apr 14, 2017
Greg Stefflre
Greg Stefflre rated it really liked it
Feb 07, 2012
Carlos
Carlos rated it liked it
May 23, 2012
Kevin Duffy
Kevin Duffy rated it liked it
Feb 28, 2014
David
David rated it really liked it
Nov 22, 2011
Dave Lefty
Dave Lefty rated it really liked it
Nov 22, 2012
William Skolnik
William Skolnik rated it it was amazing
Jan 02, 2013
Eric Gonsenheim
Eric Gonsenheim rated it it was amazing
Jun 28, 2013
Dex
Dex rated it really liked it
Jan 11, 2016
Pavel Gdetibil
Pavel Gdetibil rated it it was amazing
May 15, 2016
Sherif Shaheen
Sherif Shaheen rated it liked it
Feb 01, 2015
Debby
Debby rated it really liked it
Jul 23, 2016
Robert Hernandez
Robert Hernandez rated it liked it
Feb 12, 2011
Amit Kumar
Amit Kumar rated it it was amazing
Feb 19, 2015
Obieze Ewere
Obieze Ewere rated it liked it
Feb 11, 2017
Abhijeet Jain
Abhijeet Jain rated it liked it
Aug 16, 2016
David Gust
David Gust rated it liked it
Jun 23, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Quality of Earnings
  • Financial Shenanigans: How to Detect Accounting Gimmicks & Fraud in Financial Reports
  • Investing: The Last Liberal Art
  • The Rediscovered Benjamin Graham: Selected Writings of the Wall Street Legend
  • The Aggressive Conservative Investor
  • The Art of Value Investing: How the World's Best Investors Beat the Market
  • The Investment Checklist: The Art of In-Depth Research
  • Distressed Debt Analysis: Strategies for Speculative Investors
  • Beyond Greed and Fear: Understanding Behavioral Finance and the Psychology of Investing
  • Pioneering Portfolio Management: An Unconventional Approach to Institutional Investment
  • The Money Game
  • Theory of Investment Value
  • Damodaran on Valuation: Security Analysis for Investment and Corporate Finance (Wiley Finance)
  • Money Masters of Our Time
  • What Works on Wall Street: A Guide to the Best-Performing Investment Strategies of All Time
  • Contrarian Investment Strategies: The Classic Edition
  • Accounting for Value
  • Confidence Game: How Hedge Fund Manager Bill Ackman Called Wall Street's Bluff

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »