Start by marking “Control and Freedom: Power and Paranoia in the Age of Fiber Optics” as Want to Read:
Control and Freedom: Power and Paranoia in the Age of Fiber Optics

Control and Freedom: Power and Paranoia in the Age of Fiber Optics

How has the Internet, a medium that thrives on control, been accepted as a medium of freedom? Why is freedom increasingly indistinguishable from paranoid control? In Control and Freedom, Wendy Hui Kyong Chun explores the current political and technological coupling of freedom with control by tracing the emergence of the Internet as a mass medium. The parallel (and paranoid ...more
Published December 23rd 2005 by MIT Press (MA) (first published November 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Control and Freedom, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Control and Freedom

Tony Poerio
Jun 28, 2016 Tony Poerio rated it really liked it
Around the time I was in college, I got very interested in new media theory -- I was studying literature at the time. This is one of the best contemporary books examining the internet as a mass medium, and I'd strongly recommend it to anyone else interested in the subject.

The book is academic, so be prepared for that--and it's probably best read/used in a class about new media, college level. I read it purely out of interest and enjoyed it, but not everyone is as nerdy as me.

Eventually, I went
Kaelin
Oct 29, 2007 Kaelin rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: those interested in technology, rhizomatic writing, cyberpunk, and internets
Shelves: theory
Despite the terribly droll title (and, really, the title is awful), this book is fantastically interesting. Chun's exploration of the semiotics of different internets displays a disturbingly keen sense of metaphor. While the technology sometimes gets in the way, and Chun sometimes teeters somewhat close to sounding like the rather disgruntled IT person who gets annoyed that you can't keep up with the jargon, her explanations are often elucidating enough to keep things light. Her form mimics cont ...more
Nissa
Nov 01, 2008 Nissa rated it really liked it
a less idealistic, more sort of "practical" study of new media (particularly compared to "Language of New Media"). also really interesting and thought-provoking. if you're interested in new media, I highly recommend reading both this book and LoNM. feel free to ask me more about either book, cuz I love talking about both of them.
Al Matthews
Nov 17, 2007 Al Matthews marked it as thesisavoidance
I can't say I loved the excerpt I read from this, but I'm giving it another shot on strength of prof recommendation.
Rebecca
Rebecca rated it it was ok
Mar 16, 2014
Faith
Faith rated it it was amazing
Aug 07, 2013
Zach
Zach rated it it was amazing
Oct 06, 2007
Nicole
Nicole rated it it was amazing
Aug 07, 2007
Sasha Ross
Sasha Ross rated it liked it
May 21, 2014
Edward Kozaczka
Edward Kozaczka rated it it was amazing
Jul 29, 2015
Marlin W Adrian
Marlin W Adrian rated it it was amazing
Jul 20, 2015
Caity Penzeymoog
Caity Penzeymoog rated it liked it
Mar 05, 2013
Cole Stratton
Cole Stratton rated it liked it
Feb 20, 2013
Alix J
Alix J rated it liked it
May 03, 2012
Denis
Denis rated it really liked it
Jul 25, 2011
The Media Bunny
The Media Bunny rated it it was amazing
Dec 04, 2010
Jane
Jane rated it really liked it
Aug 24, 2015
Hami
Hami rated it it was ok
Aug 04, 2016
Mentyrosa
Mentyrosa rated it really liked it
Sep 29, 2007
Alif Ibrahim
Alif Ibrahim rated it really liked it
Jan 09, 2017
Elena
Elena rated it liked it
Nov 15, 2015
Patrick Keilty
Patrick Keilty rated it really liked it
Jul 05, 2011
Ismail Muhammad
Ismail Muhammad rated it liked it
Mar 10, 2014
Stephen
Stephen rated it it was amazing
Dec 11, 2007
D.
D. rated it liked it
Jul 30, 2008
Erin
Erin rated it really liked it
Apr 08, 2010
Miki
Miki rated it really liked it
Nov 24, 2013