Start by marking “Constructing Grounded Theory: A Practical Guide Through Qualitative Analysis” as Want to Read:
Constructing Grounded Theory: A Practical Guide Through Qualitative Analysis

Constructing Grounded Theory: A Practical Guide Through Qualitative Analysis

Grounded theory is a highly influential way of working with qualitative data and Kathy Charmaz is a major player, both innovative and fluent. This book is a model student text: lively, carefully argued and full of vivid illustrations. Beginning students and professional researchers will find it to be required reading' - "David Silverman, Professor Emeritus, Sociology Depar ...more
Published January 1st 2006 by Sage Publications (CA)

To ask other readers questions about Constructing Grounded Theory, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Constructing Grounded Theory

Trevor
Nov 05, 2012 Trevor rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I didn't really know very much about grounded theory before reading this book. Recently I read Vygotsky's Thought and Language and I found a remarkable number of parallels with grounded theory. Grounded theory tries to encourage researchers to put off finding an over-arching theory with which to fit data into. In some ways it can be seen as a response to Kuhn and his paradigms. The problem is that we tend to be tied to ways of thinking and so too much research is based on theories looking for su ...more
Danielle
May 04, 2012 Danielle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyed this book. Great advice on process of coding and writing memos for qualitative researchers interested in grounded theory
AndreaD'A
Oct 31, 2010 AndreaD'A rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: education
not very interesting - but wasnt expecting it to be. all about how to gather data and then read it. blah
April Sanders
Great book for walking you through the world of coding.
Bailey
Sep 28, 2014 Bailey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent read. Charmaz does a fantastic job of writing about grounded theory in a very clear and accessible way. I enjoyed that she explained the concepts behind grounded theory as well as thoroughly describing the actual logistics of qualitative analysis.Reading her book was a great preparation for working with qualitative data, and I very highly recommend it!
Wisal
Jul 18, 2014 Wisal rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very useful book. When I first read the book, I was in the early stage of my PhD journey with basic knowledge about grounded theory. This book helped me a lot. It is well written and organised. The language is clear. Includes examples. I referred back to the book at different stages of my PhD. It is very useful.
Monique
Apr 01, 2015 Monique rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: phd-stuff
Let's be honest...I read this book because Charmaz is the scholar behind constructivist grounded theory. So that tells you that I have an interest in this area, in fact I'm using this theory in as my guiding methodology. Charmaz clearly details the origins, ideas and steps to use constructivist grounded theory in qualitative studies. I would consider this the 'bible' for constructivist theory.
Rainier Moreno-Lacalle
This book teaches you in accessible manner what grounded theory is. The grace, clarity, and style creates a feeling that you want to read more. Above all, it inspires you to use grounded theory in making research because it is scholarly merit, enjoyable value, and transformative effects.
Lisa Kruse
Feb 24, 2013 Lisa Kruse rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book makes me want to run out and start collecting data immediately.
Angela Rand
Dec 31, 2011 Angela Rand rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Explicit instruction on constructing grounded theory. Very much a handbook for qualitative researchers. Useful!
حمیدرضا اسکی
one of the best books on Grounded Theory Methodology (GTM). The book is well-written and very clear and practical with many live examples and cases.
Gemma
Mar 10, 2015 Gemma rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: work-books
A clear guide to conducting constructivist grounded theory. Quickly became my bible for my thesis.
Natalie
Aug 18, 2010 Natalie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sociology
This will likely continue to be my "bible" for doing qualitative research.
Erin
Yep. I still don't understand grounded theory. But that is my own problem and not the failing of this book.
Tamara
Good beginning to qualitative research
Jan
Very practical and concise 'cook-book' for qualitative data analysis, drawing on the traditional Grounded Theory methodology literature.
Ebony
Jul 21, 2009 Ebony rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
excellent book on doing grounded theory. systematic without being boring. thorough without being teachy. plenty of examples. a great reference and refresher.
Ken Varble
Ken Varble rated it liked it
Jun 13, 2012
Tony Fortner
Tony Fortner rated it really liked it
Oct 26, 2014
Aseel
Aseel rated it really liked it
Apr 16, 2015
Rob
Rob rated it really liked it
Jan 24, 2016
Alexander
Alexander rated it really liked it
Apr 21, 2015
Rhoda Bharath
Rhoda Bharath rated it really liked it
Jul 08, 2014
Ess
Ess rated it it was amazing
Mar 23, 2016
Craig
Craig rated it it was amazing
Jan 10, 2015
Zöe Yu
May 03, 2017 Zöe Yu rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My bible for this two months (thesis writing time). This is a very detailed book about grounded theory, and it offers a thorough understanding and rich examples.
Elisabeth Parker
Elisabeth Parker rated it really liked it
Jul 07, 2014
Shellie Foltz
Shellie Foltz rated it really liked it
May 02, 2014
Drew
Drew rated it really liked it
Dec 27, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Qualitative Inquiry and Research Design: Choosing Among Five Approaches
  • Discovery of Grounded Theory: Strategies for Qualitative Research
  • Basics of Qualitative Research: Techniques and Procedures for Developing Grounded Theory
  • Tales of the Field: On Writing Ethnography
  • The Coding Manual for Qualitative Researchers
  • Case Study Research: Design and Methods (Applied Social Research Methods)
  • The SAGE Handbook of Qualitative Research
  • Studies in Ethnomethodology
  • Writing Ethnographic Fieldnotes
  • Qualitative Data Analysis: An Expanded Sourcebook
  • Visual Methodologies: An Introduction to the Interpretation of Visual Materials
  • Qualitative Research & Evaluation Methods
  • Practical Reason: On the Theory of Action
  • Discovering Statistics Using IBM SPSS Statistics
  • Parenting for a Peaceful World
  • Interviews: Learning the Craft of Qualitative Research Interviewing
  • Interviewing as Qualitative Research: A Guide for Researchers in Education and the Social Sciences
  • Tricks of the Trade: How to Think about Your Research While You're Doing It

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »