Love Is a Decision

Love Is a Decision

3.96 of 5 stars 3.96  ·  rating details  ·  180 ratings  ·  15 reviews
In this practical book, family counselor and best-selling author Gary Smalley, with John Trent, reveals a simple yet profound plan for a marriage of depth, warmth, and excitement. Guide your marriage for a lifetime by learning how to make your spouse feel truly honored, keep courtship alive, rebuild trust, and become best friends with your family. According to Smalley, goo...more
Published January 1st 2001 by Thomas Nelson Publishers (first published November 30th 1988)

To ask other readers questions about Love Is a Decision, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Love Is a Decision

Gina
Love is a verb, not an emotion. True love comes from what you do. When the typical "honeymoon" period is over, that does NOT signify the end of a relationship, but rather the beginning.

Six elements to staying in love, included in Love Is a Decision, are:
Making your spouse feel truly honored
Learning the art of touching tenderly
Keeping courtship alive in your marriage
Re-opening a heart closed by anger
Building, or rebuilding, trust in a relationship
Becoming best friends with your family

What does lo...more
Nate Dorsey
Gary Smalley speaks directly at not only today's issues but forgoes possibilities which have and or can take place regarding love/ relationship. He gives clear distinct action resolving within boundaries both sexes understand. But hey.. Don't take my word for it, grab a copy and read it yourself!
Gina Collins
This is a great book for any stage of a relationship but I think anyone starting out needs to read this before marriage. It could prevent a lot of divorce in today's day & age. Love is the commitment one makes to another, not just the feeling, because feelings can change.
Marc
Gary Smalley uses powerful and emotive stories to back up his statements. I would recommend any and all of books for understanding Godly approaches to relationships, romantic and otherwise.
Hilary
With reminders, strategies and some eye-opening admissions from Gary Smalley, this is another book I'd consider essential reading to help build and maintain your marriage.
Ekow
Apr 15, 2010 Ekow is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
God's love surpasses any kind of love on earth. Love God before you could love any other person better
Jeff Noble
Love is a decision: Ten proven principles to energize your marriage and family by Gary Smalley (?)
Apryl Anderson
(17.04.1994), Though provoking. Real perspective. Watch out for your expectations!
Jim Eshelman
Very much corrects many misconceptions about how a relationship works properly.
Rick Lefevers
Given to me by the pastor who performed our wedding ceremony. Good gift.
Ros
I've read heaps of books on marriage - this one is the best! Simple as that.
Jenny Dendinger
This is an awesome book! A must read guide to a healthy marriage!
Jenny

I didn't actually finish so I won't rate it.
Kristen
It was a little boring for me.
Bridget
May 18, 2008 Bridget marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: marriage
Have this book
Waylan
Waylan marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2014
Yewande O
Yewande O marked it as to-read
Aug 09, 2014
Jeremy Simpson
Jeremy Simpson marked it as to-read
Aug 01, 2014
Fred Burks
Fred Burks marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2014
Zachary Harless
Zachary Harless marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2014
Amy
Amy marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2014
Have been looking... 1 5 Aug 03, 2008 01:33PM
  • Intended for Pleasure: Sex Technique and Sexual Fulfillment in Christian Marriage
  • Have a New Husband by Friday
  • Stick a Geranium in Your Hat and Be Happy
  • What Wives Wish Their Husbands Knew About Women
  • Now You're Speaking My Language: Honest Communication and Deeper Intimacy for a Stronger Marriage
  • Saving Your Marriage Before It Starts: Seven Questions to Ask Before (and After) You Marry
  • A Heart Like His
  • Every Man's Marriage: An Every Man's Guide to Winning the Heart of a Woman
  • A Gentle Thunder: Hearing God Through the Storm
  • Fit to Be Tied: Making Marriage Last a Lifetime
  • Why Not Women?: A Fresh Look at Scripture on Women in Missions, Ministry, and Leadership
  • Chicken Soup for the Expectant Mother's Soul: 101 Stories to Inspire and Warm the Hearts of Soon-To-Be Mothers
  • Lost Women of the Bible: Finding Strength & Significance through Their Stories
  • The Man in the Mirror: Solving the 24 Problems Men Face
  • How to Really Love Your Child
  • Boundaries in Marriage Kit: An 8-Session Focus on Boundaries and Marriage
  • Creative Counterpart: Becoming the Woman, Wife, and Mother You've Longed to Be
  • Point Man: How a Man Can Lead His Family
The DNA of Relationships The Blessing For Better or for Best: A Valuable Guide to Knowing, Understanding, and Loving Your Husband Making Love Last Forever If Only He Knew: What No Woman Can Resist