Start by marking “Far Country” as Want to Read:
Far Country

Far Country (BattleTech Universe #23)

2.97 of 5 stars 2.97  ·  rating details  ·  117 ratings  ·  5 reviews
The most successful science fiction role-playing game of all time, Battletech is also a crossover book winner. Now the bestselling Battletech series continues as an alien land provides the warriors' ultimate challenge--and rebel and government forces are at each other's metal throats.
Published October 1st 1993 by Roc

To ask other readers questions about Far Country, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Far Country

Jwest82
Feb 19, 2015 Jwest82 rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Battletech Fans
Recommended to Jwest82 by: N/A
This is a book that has been at the center of many debated in the Battletech universe. Aliens, not the Clans but actual aliens. The difference is that humans are the aliens not the Tetate on whose planet the humans land. I think it is worth a read simply because it is something different in the canon that does not involve the 'mechs as the main characters. This book is a study of no matter what opportunities we have in front of us people will always want more, even if what we want has no real va ...more
James
This book is different from the other Battletech stories. The book opens with a jumpship having an accident during jump 500 years before the current battletech setting (meaning that Battlemechs are just a new idea) and the dropships crashland on an uncharted planet. 500 years later the same thing happens but this time with 5 battlemechs on board.

What happens is a mixture of different ideas - how the original strandees have evolved, sharng the planet with an alien species and how the humans cope
Eric Lawson
Far Country by Peter L. Rice is a strange novel in the Battletech Universe. It has aliens and descendants of the survivors of a shipwreck. Into this world another jump disaster shipwrecks a DEST infantry group, a lance of mercenary mechwarriors and survivors from the crews of the jumpships and dropships.

I didn't really enjoy this book, partly because it is such a departure from the Battletech Universe, but also because the characters are very stupid. The DEST commander the worst of all.
Grant
Far Country is a bit of a departure from the "main line" of BattleTech novels. It's okay, and worth a read, but be prepared for something not-quite-vanilla-flavoured-BattleTech.

It's a decent BattleTech novel, and the addition of sentient aliens doesn't intrude too much.

In the end, I liked the novel for what it was. But I wouldn't recommend it as typical BattleTech.
Friedrich Haas
Though it is outside of what happens in the BT universe, I enjoyed having an alien species, the one and only time to my knowledge, and I really enjoyed the use of the LAM.
Michael
Michael marked it as to-read
Jan 30, 2015
Seth Dearing
Seth Dearing marked it as to-read
Feb 26, 2015
Alexander Banker
Alexander Banker marked it as to-read
Jan 28, 2015
Colingrad
Colingrad marked it as to-read
Jan 11, 2015
Jonathan
Jonathan marked it as to-read
Dec 26, 2014
Fluxrez
Fluxrez marked it as to-read
Dec 26, 2014
Chris
Chris marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2014
Samuel Wilson
Samuel Wilson marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2014
Nukalurk
Nukalurk marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

BattleTech Universe (1 - 10 of 95 books)
  • The Sword and the Dagger (Battletech)
  • Decision at Thunder Rift (Saga of the Grey Death Legion, #1)
  • Mercenary's Star (Saga of the Gray Death Legion, #2)
  • Price of Glory (Saga of the Gray Death Legion, #3)
  • Warrior: En Garde (The Warrior Trilogy, #1)
  • Warrior: Riposte (The Warrior Trilogy, #2)
  • Warrior: Coupé (The Warrior Trilogy, #3)
  • Wolves on the Border
  • Heir to the Dragon
  • Lethal Heritage (Blood of Kerensky Trilogy, #1)
Damned If We Do... Monsoon (Renegade Legion, 5604) Triangle Campaign (Star Trek RPG) Frost Death (Renegade Legion) Streets of Gems