Start by marking “The Backward Day” as Want to Read:
The Backward Day

The Backward Day

3.14  ·  Rating Details  ·  102 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews
Imagine your whole day lived backward, from beginning to end. When you got up, you’d put on your jacket, then your shirt and pants, and over those your underwear, because after all, backward is backward, and on a backward day backward is the way everything has to be. You’d walk downstairs backward and sit on your chair backward with your back to the table, and when your pa ...more
Published August 7th 2007 by NYR Children's Collection (first published 1950)

To ask other readers questions about The Backward Day, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Backward Day

Miriam
Jan 06, 2016 Miriam rated it liked it
Backward Day sound interesting? It might be if it involved more than putting on your clothes in the wrong order, going down the stairs backward, and sitting wrong was round in the chairs. Kudos to the kid for realizing it was a weak idea; otherwise how were they going to eat breakfast?
Cindi
Feb 03, 2009 Cindi rated it it was amazing
Could you find a more charming story about a little boy who on a whim decides "When it's backward day, it's backward day." My daughter wanted to know when backward day would come and got up and started walking backward (with her head turned so she could see where she was going) out of the room.
Kelly
Jan 19, 2009 Kelly rated it really liked it
I can't believe this was written in the 50s! It's a little wordy compared to today's standards, but the story is deliciously irreverent. The little boy announces it's backward day, and his whole family just goes along without questioning it. A perfect example of "playful parenting"!
Amy
May 18, 2012 Amy rated it it was ok
Seems aimed at a lower age so I guess we read it too late. Very simple and not really inspiring to try a backward day actually. Hey kids - who wants to be extremely uncomfortable with your underwear on over your coat, not eat breakfast and go straight back to bed?
Tayler Bingham
Krauss, Ruth, and Marc Simont. The Backward Day. New York Review of Books, 2007. This is the story of an imaginative young boy who decides that it is a "backwards day." Consequentially, everything he does throughout the day is entirely backwards. From putting on his clothes to sitting at the breakfast table, there is nothing he does normally. The book was tough to read simply because there was a lot of text to read, yet there wasn't very good illustrations in it. However, the author did make goo ...more
Oct 28, 2011 Sarah rated it really liked it
Can you imagine your whole day lived backward, from beginning to end? When you got up, you’d put on your jacket, then your shirt and pants, and over those your underwear, because after all, backward is backward, and on a backward day backward is the way everything has to be. You’d walk downstairs backward and sit on your chair backward with your back to the table, and when your parents greeted you in the morning you’d say, of course, “Good night.” I think that would be a very confusing day. The ...more
Siskiyou-Suzy
Feb 08, 2016 Siskiyou-Suzy rated it did not like it
I honestly found this book a little annoying. It's kinda like watching a time-travel thing where at a certain point it doesn't make sense. If everything is backward, then shouldn't he just sleep all day? Or should he really turn his head around and walk backward? He wouldn't walk like that forward.

Anyway, I'm sure children would like it and they would be all sorts of inspired, but there's too much there for me to find inconsistent, despite the fact that it's just a silly little book.
Holleah
Mar 16, 2014 Holleah rated it it was amazing
Shelves: march
I thought this book was hilarious only because I went through an "opposite day" phase when I was younger and this book sums it up pretty well. The boy went more out of the way than I did, like sitting backward at the table, but it was still fun to think of other things he could do. I love this book.
Mickey Reville
Oct 05, 2015 Mickey Reville rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-books
The story of a boy who one day decides to do everything backwards. You could use this book to teach diversity and how everyone is unique.

Maren
Jun 04, 2009 Maren rated it really liked it
The New York Review of Books has been republishing a number of out of Children's classics. The Backward day is a bit slimmer and for a younger audience than most of their other selections but nevertheless this volume is lovely and the original illustrations are charming. I can imagine this story would be quite a hit with younger children.
Danielle
Sep 19, 2012 Danielle rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Ruth Krauss is wonderful.

What I like most about this book is how the boy's parents respond to his backward day idea. They lovingly, playfully go along with it, letting the boy lead them through his experiment.

What a beautiful example of rolling with a child's imagination.
Nojood Alsudairi
Jul 21, 2008 Nojood Alsudairi rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
One of the classics. The plot is not strong but the illustrations are beautiful.
Russ
Jun 26, 2008 Russ rated it really liked it
great artwork with a silly story, beautifully bound... what more do you need?
Kristyn
January 2014. Boys, four and two, found it hilarious.
Sharper1
Apr 23, 2013 Sharper1 rated it did not like it
Wow. So glad we have better plots and illustrations now.
Lisa
Jan 16, 2009 Lisa rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
I'd like to see this as a bigger picture book.
Jennifer L
Gigi412
Gigi412 rated it really liked it
Apr 19, 2016
Kayla Rivera
Kayla Rivera rated it it was ok
Mar 28, 2016
Jess
Jess marked it as to-read
Mar 07, 2016
Yulya Epifanova
Yulya Epifanova marked it as to-read
Feb 19, 2016
Laura Rydberg
Laura Rydberg rated it liked it
Feb 04, 2016
Julie Oppenheimer
Julie Oppenheimer marked it as to-read
Feb 02, 2016
4 Starr Kids
4 Starr Kids rated it liked it
Jan 30, 2016
Emma Day
Emma Day rated it really liked it
Jan 24, 2016
Justin
Justin added it
Feb 06, 2016
Liesel
Liesel rated it it was ok
Dec 15, 2015
Kylie
Kylie rated it it was ok
Dec 14, 2015