Start by marking “The Curious Case of Benjamin Button: And Other Stories” as Want to Read:
The Curious Case of Benjamin Button: And Other Stories

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button: And Other Stories

3.33 of 5 stars 3.33  ·  rating details  ·  213 ratings  ·  49 reviews
In this brilliantly inventive collection of stories, the author captures the disparate lives of the residents of Manhattan's West 89th Street from marriages, car accidents, love affairs, and adoptions. Unabridged. 8 CDs.
audio cassette
Published March 1st 2007 by Blackstone Audiobooks (first published 1922)

To ask other readers questions about The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Curious Case of Benjamin Button

Ahmad Sharabiani
The Curious Case of Benjamin Button: And Other Stories, F. Scott Fitzgerald
عنوان: ماجرای عجیب بنجامین باتن و داستانهای دیگر؛ نویسنده: اف. اسکات فیتزجرالد؛ مترجم: فرشید عطایی؛ مشخصات نشر: تهران، نشر آموت، در صفحه

شامل داستان کوتاه است: ماجرای عجیب بنجامین باتن، داستانهای «بادبادک» و «عقده ادیپ من» نوشته موام و اوکانر، داستان «شیوهای که اکنون زندگی میکنیم» نوشته سوزان سونتاگ، داستان «تونی تاکیتانی» از این مجموعه به دنبال ترسیم تنهایی انسان مدرن از زبان هاروکی موراکامی
Jay
Short collection of short stories by Fitzgerald. If there's a common theme, besides dealing with the well-to-do of the time, they are about the past and how it can't be re-realized. My favorite of the bunch was "Three Hours Between Planes" because it dealt with how your memories of unrequited love might not be remembered in the same way by the object of your long-term longing. This felt the most personal of the bunch.
Lincoln
Dora and I listened to the first story, Benjamin Button, on our way up to Wisconsin; it's only a little more than an hour long. We agreed it was interesting and enjoyable. The premise is pretty well known since the movie came out: it's about a guy who grows old backwards; that is, he's born an old man and as time progress he gets younger. I thought it was impressive how Fitzgerald managed to make this premise work, even though it's so absurd. It must have taken some doing, but he's a good writer ...more
Natalie
A great collection of shorts by one of the most amazing writers of the twentieth century.

"Babylon Revisited" is a story that delves into the life of a man that made the big bucks in the Jazz Age and how his life was affected by that "wealth". A beautiful, touching, and frustrating story. One of my favorite shorts of Fitzgerald.

"The Curious Case of Benjamin Button" is a fantastical short story that is an insightful view of the progress of life. The story is much different from the film that was b
Ella Brooke
Short stories are interesting because so many things are unsaid. A good short story will imply a lot of depth in few words. Some of these stories were thought-provoking, and others left me thinking "that's it? !" But they all seemed to reflect on the past and how it can't be escaped nor re-lived, which I think is a lesson everyone learns the hard way.
Chad
I didn't see the movie, but picked this book up the other day figuring it would be a good introduction to Fitzgerald. While the premise is interesting, the delivery sucked. The characters had zero depth, and the narrative bland. It would have made an interesting Twilight Zone or Amazing Stories episode though!

Unfortunately, Benjamin Button was the best story in this collection. The others were terrible and seemed to lack any point whatsoever. They are like a brief glimpse into the life of averag
Richard G
It's interesting to me... listening to this collection of Fitzgerald short stories made me appreciate some of his longer works, yet I did not really enjoy the stories here.

I tend to characterize these stories as having some sort of "jumpy" quality. It's like Fitzgerald only provides the bullet plot points. I found myself trying to fill in gaps rather than enjoying the storytelling. A couple things here: (1) it might be off base for me to compare my listening and reading experience with Fitzgeral
Dawn
What a bizarre story, it's difficult to suspend belief long enough to enjoy the story. While I didn't find it wonderful, it was amusing.
F. John
This audio book was well done. Fitzgerald did a great job of telling the fantastic tale of a man who aged in reverse and all the problems this caused. I had never heard of this story but I'm tolsd it was made into a movie with Brad Pitt.

As to Babylon Revisited, we learn that our past has a way of getting in the way as the protagonist obviously got his life back together again and now wants his daughter back in his life. The daughter is being raised by a nervous aunt, the protagonist's sister-in-
Mark Hanson
The Curious Case of Benjamin Button did capture a unique story line which I appreciated in wrestling with the development if relationships and the similarly of the curve of birth and death. The other short stories were interesting, but left much unfinished and really seemed like they needed to be developed as if it was just enough to engage you but not quite enough to keep you going to the extent you weren't really sad to not be able to read more.
Ricky Penick
Well, he puts them out there to be beheld and, to some extent understood, whether you like it or not. These are the idle rich, the nouveaux, and the wannabes whose offspring fillibuster debt ceilings and loot corporate treasuries with impugnity.
As for the title story, I'm glad that I have held off on watching the film. Some may see the story as a throwaway or a light hearted romp but I see it as no less a social commentary as the rest of Fitzgerald's work except with a little satire thrown in fo
Christen
Came across this audio book when searching for new material. I've heard of the movie and am somewhat familiar with the plot line, but I've never seen it.

All of the stories are mildly interesting. Worth a read, but not something I'll rave about to others.
Annie Smidt
I feel a little bad, giving old F. Scott only two stars, because I do love him dearly. I finished all his novels years ago and adored them, and have always meant to polish off the remains of the oeuvre with the various short stories. But I'm not always predisposed to short stories. His, like his novels, are not particularly neat and that, perhaps, doesn't work so well for short stories. It's also the context... reading a mess of stories together like this feels random, whereas reading one indivi ...more
Chris Walker
I liked the other stories more than the Curious Case which I still can't quite see the point of it (and the movie made little sense to me either). The other stories were interesting because of the author's descriptions of well heeled life in New York and Paris in the early 30s when buildings like the Chrysler building in New York had just opened. (At one thrilling point a couple looks up to see a Zeppelin floating over Paris.) "The Crash" and how it turned the life of some of the characters arou ...more
KatieSuzanne
I'm normally not a fan of short stories but thought I'd give these a shot since Fitzgerald wrote my favorite novel. They were good. Benjamin Button was odd, but when you think of it as meaning something else it's pretty thought provoking.
The other stories were all good, made you feel slightly uncomfortable, but not too much. "Babylon Revisited" "Three Hours between Planes" "The Bridal Party" and "The Lost Decade" They all seem to be pretty inspired by his experience and life in Paris himself in
Sherry
Interesting idea behind the title story and the rest are good, but certainly not great. Fitzgerald on the downswing.
Steve
It's been forever since I read The Great Gatsby, but I'm guessing this collection of short stories is not Fitzgerald's strongest work. Still, it was mildly entertaining--mostly because of the insights it gave to what life was like (for some people) nearly a century ago. I'd guess the time period for most of these stories was 80-120 years ago.

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button in particular was more of an outline for a book than an actual book. (I still haven't seen the movie.) A few details, bu
John
Stories collected here are hit or miss. The opening section of Benjamin Button was pretty hilarious. The rest of the story was pretty lame. Other stories here had some real poignant moments. Babylon Revisited was especially good. The Bridal Party was okay. The other two were more like vignettes than stories.

A grown man doing the voice of a ten year old girl rarely turns out well. It didn't work for me here either (in Babylon Revisited).

In any event, I've read a couple of his novels and really en
Susan Henn
1/2013 The stories are were all well written and pull the reader into the situations presented. However, all the stories were rather sad. The title story was fantastical yet treated as truth. It was frustrating that the whole story was from a social, societal, and emotional viewpoint and the scientific curiosity was never even mentioned. Plus, Benjamin’s mother was never mentioned after the birth! The other stories were depressing and critical of the rich in the 1920s and 1930s focusing on exces ...more
Mayda
These short stories by Fitzgerald illustrate the often turbulent relationships in which people find themselves entangled. In the first story, it involves parents who have an unusual baby. The second, a father who longs to regain custody of his daughter is thwarted by his sister-in-law. Other stories involve lost loves and desires that seem to grow more important as the realization of them evaporates. This well performed audio version is a thought-provoking collection, but don’t expect happy endi ...more
While I didn't like "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button" at all (what was the point of it?), I quite liked the other stories: "The Lost Decade," "Three Hours between Planes," "The Bridal Party," and "Babylon Revisited." "Babylon Revisited" is am amazingly poignant and beautifully-written account of a man who has been an alcoholic trying to get custody of his young daughter. I found the stories all very unique and memorable, a testament to Fitzgerald's narrative talent.
Deb
The content was hindered by the lackluster narration (audiobook). The exposition was right on. But the narrator's poor skill decimated the dialog, especially that of the female characters. Other than that...I would've rated it higher. Fitzgerald's grasp of the era and his ability to unwind the tale while enveloping the reader and drawing one into the scene was seamless. At times, thought provoking, witty, and tender.
James
This audio series included The Curious Case of Benjamin Button,The Bridal Party, Three Hours Between Planes, Babylon Revisited and the Lost Decade. I found The Curious Case of Benjamin Button interesting and off the wall and Babylon Revisited depressing yet it kept my attention and I like it best. Only those two stand out, the rest were unimpressive and disappointing.
Jillian
This collection was haunting, beautiful and melancholy, like so much of Fitzgerald's work. Babylon Revisited had a profound effect on me. Anyone going through a transition in their life would benefit from reading it. Especially anyone struggling with addictions, or their image. This story, in particular, made me feel very sorry for Fitzgerald and his battle with alchoholism.
Thomas
Edit: while doing menial tasks, I decided to listen to music rather than continue this. At that point, I realized I was not going to finish. Sorry, no star ranking for an unfinished story.

Only a few "pages" in, and I'm not thrilled about the writing. However, it's short, popular and the premise is amusing, so I guess I'll soldier on.
Dee-Ann
It was good to read the story of BB after seeing the movie. I find all his stories grey ... dont love or hate them and find myself needing something a bit different at the endings.The short story "babylon ??' which was included in this package shows just how your past is always following you, no matter how hard you try to change.
Kitchengrrl
Really enjoyed Benjamin Button and Diamond as Big as the Ritz. Couldn't get into Tarquin of Cheapside. Don't know if there was another story after that. What use of language! I don't recall being all that blown away by The Great Gatsby, but I am encouraged to go back now and read it just to listen to his way with words.
Amy
I enjoyed these short stories; they were intriguing and I was never sure how they would end.

This was a perfect audio CD for driving since the collection of short stories provided many good stopping points (for lunch, for getting lost in the city when I got off the highway, for stopping to stretch my legs, etc.).
Rishi Garg
I really enjoyed "Return to Babylon". Fitzgerald has his uncanny way of combining Depression Era/Jazz-age era money lust with smartly-written romance, where the romantic interactions are unspoken, or the truth of the moments lie behind the words, but are accessible to the reader in multiple layers of sadness.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • The Casebook of Sherlock Holmes: Volume 1
  • The Year Nick McGowan Came to Stay
  • من هم چه گوارا هستم
  • آذر، ماهِ آخرِ پاییز
  • Saving the World at Work: What Companies and Individuals Can Do to Go Beyond Making a Profit to Making a Difference
  • تهرانجلس
  • نمازخانه کوچک من
  • The Black Hope Horror: The True Story of a Haunting
  • The Outline of History, Volume 1: Being a Plain History of Life and Mankind
  • The Authentic Life of Billy the Kid
  • مورچه‌ی آرژانتینی
Francis Scott Key Fitzgerald was an American writer of novels and short stories, whose works have been seen as evocative of the Jazz Age, a term he himself allegedly coined. He is regarded as one of the greatest twentieth century writers. Fitzgerald was of the self-styled "Lost Generation," Americans born in the 1890s who came of age during World War I. He finished four novels, left a fifth unfini ...more
More about F. Scott Fitzgerald...
The Great Gatsby Tender Is the Night This Side of Paradise The Curious Case of Benjamin Button The Beautiful and Damned