Made in Italy: Food and Stories

Made in Italy: Food and Stories

4.31 of 5 stars 4.31  ·  rating details  ·  134 ratings  ·  14 reviews
Giorgio Locatelli started helping out in the family restaurant at age five. He was raised in Corgeno in northern Italy, close to the Swiss border and Milan. Almost everything his family ate and drank was produced locally. He was told by the head chef at his first real Italian restaurant job that he would never make it as a chef. His grandmother, who shared her great love o...more
Published October 23rd 2007 by Ecco (first published 2006)

Christian Deysson
Well, this is a book you cannot read. It's rather a religion you have to practice, a science you have study, an art you have to master.
Fabrizio
One the best Italian cookbooks ever- full to the brim with passion and gastronomic brilliance!!
Jackie Donnelly (Baisa)
Fantastic book of Italian recipes. I honestly cannot get enough from his recipes, so plan to get the next book of his "Made in Sicily" at some point. The books are not cheap but every recipe is outstanding (and not super complicated, either). There are a bunch of gorgeous photographs throughout the book (pretty much a MUST for me) and some stories in between (of his grandparents and such). The section on breads is particular great. A lot of step-by-step instructions and lots of variations to the...more
Benjamin
Locatelli's tome is part cookbook, part essay, part autobiography. It is heavy and wordy with not nearly enough pictures, but also personal, charming, and passionate.

I think my favorite parts to read are the essays about different ingredients or famous Italian dishes. (e.g. pages just about salt or eggplant or risotto; where they come from, history, his tips and preferred methods for using them) They are fun and informative.

His personal story takes up probably the smallest space in the book, bu...more
Elaine
Carmen
Yes. The presentation of Italian food and culture in this book is just very, very correct and true. This is obviously a very personal work for Locatelli as he pours his heart into the pages, sharing stories of his childhood and obvious love of quality food and presentation. Above all, it is the sharing of good food that makes it truly great. This is one of those cookbooks that you can peruse for hours. The pictures are simple, beautiful, and will make you hungry. The section on risotto even has...more
Lauram
It's one of my favourite books. It's full of beautiful personal and historical stories and great recipies.
Emily
Locatelli's passion- and Italianess - really comes through in this book. Great stories, and thorough explanations of Italian cooking techniques and history, makes this a really great one for the recipe book shelf. Disappointingly, the editing is somewhat lacking (especially since this book was 5 years in the making) and you need to keep your wits about you when following a recipe as typos abound. He also tends to be a little over zealous with his quantities of butter, but that all just a matter...more
Adrian Bishop
This is my new all time favorite cook/food stories book.

Locatelli combines amazing stories, food histories, wonderful techniques and recipes and gorgeous photographs.

My risotto is now excellent. My pasta dishes have reached new heights. To cook these dishes really well it helps to have the history and basic theory behind them and Giorgio gives the real goods.

AMAZING!!!
Michele

I didn't read this book cover to cover, but what I did read I absolutely loved. Great photos on top of step-by-step directions make it a wonderful cookbook. Interesting stories on top of historical background information make it a fascinating read.
Aileen
love the stories, the eating culture in Italy..ehem! the recipe of course.! cook like the Italian mama!the journey to find the ingredients..passion to make the food for family..enjoy to see the face of satisfaction when they eat my food..
Tony
Part cookbook, part food stories, part Italian culture hit right on the head, part chef's memoir, this is a great reminder that, at our best, cooks are what we put on the plate.
Paul Miller
Cracking read. His chapter on olive oil and balsamic vinegar is very informative never mind the recipes
Donna
Very cool. The truth about italian cooking laid bare..mmmaaahhhhhaaa
A Garston
A fabulous tribute to the culinary delights of Italy.
Claartje
Fantastico!!
George
George marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2014
Mihir Prakash
Mihir Prakash marked it as to-read
May 28, 2014
Renée
Renée marked it as to-read
Malki Asmaa
Chas
Chas added it
Mar 30, 2014
Victoria Robinson
Victoria Robinson marked it as to-read
Mar 16, 2014