Start by marking “Love Does: Discover a Secretly Incredible Life in an Ordinary World” as Want to Read:
Love Does: Discover a Secretly Incredible Life in an Ordinary World

Love Does: Discover a Secretly Incredible Life in an Ordinary World

4.25  ·  Rating Details ·  24,533 Ratings  ·  1,837 Reviews
Now a" New York Times "Bestseller!

As a college student he spent 16 days in the Pacific Ocean with five guys and a crate of canned meat. As a father he took his kids on a world tour to eat ice cream with heads of state. He made friends in Uganda, and they liked him so much he became the Ugandan consul. He pursued his wife for three years before she agreed to date him. His g
Published May 1st 2012 by Thomas Nelson Publishers (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Love Does, please sign up.

Davide62 Kept going, or pursued means going on or farther
Barb Davies I found it hard to believe those some of the things happened. There probably a element of truth in them, but some of them are far fetched. I think…moreI found it hard to believe those some of the things happened. There probably a element of truth in them, but some of them are far fetched. I think they were meant to be parables. I wish he would refer to the bible by putting verses in the book(less)

Cinnamon Wolfe
Apr 16, 2013 Cinnamon Wolfe rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was an easy read and what I would describe as "feel good" book. I just couldn't give it that final star because I really feel that it was missing quite a big piece of the pie if you will.

Bob Goff talks about his life and his love for Jesus in a great conversational way. Its like you are just sitting there having a cup of tea with him while he describes for you how he feels he is supposed to live like Jesus. His main point being that Jesus does things. He doesn't sit around and talk about t
Kurt
Feb 23, 2013 Kurt rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Christians who want to love actively
Recommended to Kurt by: My dad
My dad, who loves me a lot, has been concerned for me since I rejected Christianity about a year and a half ago, and he bought me this book because he wants us to talk about spirituality through it. He says he sees a lot of his own thoughts in its pages, and because I love my dad, I read the book like he asked. I choose to lead with this introduction because I know that some Goodreads users will have the understandable opinion that a non-Christian should not be reviewing a Christian book. I get ...more
Leigh  Kramer
I've had a hard time starting this post. When I requested a review copy of Love Does from BookSneeze, I fully expected to rhapsodize about this book.

Like many, I first encountered Bob Goff in the pages of Don Miller's fantastic book A Million Miles in a Thousand Years. He seemed larger than life, yet the kind of person everyone would want to befriend.

In fact, were Goff's path to cross with mine, I'd insist on buying him a drink simply so I could hear more of his stories.

I completely understand w
Chris
May 06, 2012 Chris rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Let me start by saying how much I appreciate Bob Goff and the work he does for the glory of Christ. In fact I think he is even more dynamic and powerful in person than in print. Love Does has the opportunity to motivate you to action, which I believe is Bob’s whole purpose in writing it. He recognizes too many Christians sit and talk about God without doing anything about it. Bob has quite a collection of stories which range from risky to just plain unbelievable. Each story is like a little prov ...more
Andrew
Oct 30, 2012 Andrew rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I'd give it a one star review but it's not terribly written. The problem is the content and Mr. Goff should take a chapter out of his own book and keep some things secret. The book has some redemptive chapters however most of it comes across as bragging material about how great Mr. Goff's life is.

The sub-title is "Discover a secretly incredible life in an ordinary world." Apparently the words "if you have lots of money and time" were left off.

I do not know anyone including myself who has the mon
Jacqueline
Apr 16, 2013 Jacqueline rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed Love Does -- the stories were entertaining, it's a quick read, and I do think it communicates an important and necessary message. I liked it enough to give it four stars despite the following negatives:

1. Bob Goff and Donald Miller are friends and similar writers/thinkers, and I had the same issue with this book as I have with Miller's -- the writing tends to annoy me. I understand that the conversational style is an attempt at being frank and relatable, and to some degree it is, but t
Christy
Mar 20, 2013 Christy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book by an equally great man. I was a little less than half way though this book when I met Bob Goff. He seemed to be chatting it up with some old friends in the lobby of a conference my husband and I attended. We nervously lingered and I clutched my book, hoping for a signature. "Hey guys!!!" he exclaimed, as though he'd ran into some more old friends, grabbing us both in a big hug. "I'm reading your fantastic book and I was hoping you'd sign it if you have a second," I said. "I have all ...more
Matt
Jun 17, 2013 Matt rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I feel generous giving this book 3 stars, but hey, I'm a generous guy. There are several inspirational moments and I highlighted a few passages, but there are so many distractions from his message that I couldn't enjoy it as much as I had hoped.

Based on his stories, a more accurate title would be _Love & Money Do_. Bob never acknowledges the fact that most of his adventures are possible solely because he has the time and money to do so. Maybe I'm a little jealous, but reading about him takin
Amy George
Aug 25, 2014 Amy George rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I would never have finished this book if a friend hadn't specifically given it to me to read. I complained all the way through it and was thoroughly annoyed.

Overall, I agree with the premise - Christians need to stop talking about loving people and tangibly be there for them. However, the entire book comes across as a "look what I did" with stretching comparisons to a vague concept of Jesus' life. There are no Scripture references and I often complained out loud - "How is anyone supposed to know
Anna Kristina
Jan 22, 2013 Anna Kristina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, library
I almost expected to feel like I should do wild and crazy things after reading this book. Instead, I finished with a strong motivation to do more within the life I am currently living: to love people better through action, to do the things God created me to do (which are completely different than what Bob was created to do) and let go of the rest, to not worry about "the rules" and instead love people the way God does.

Also, Bob wasn't kidding about being available. Ian and I called him, just to
Aaron Conrad
May 24, 2012 Aaron Conrad rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you’ve been around this blog any time at all, you probably know a few things about me. First, I review a lot of books. Second, I have given more than a few of them 4 or 5 out of 5′s. Lastly, “Quiet Strength” by Tony Dungy has spent an unbelievable amount of time at the top of my favorite all-time books. As a matter of fact, I think it’s undefeated. A lot of books have run past my eyes but Coach Dungy remained strong with very little challenge. Until this week…

Mr. Dungy…you are now number two.
Betsy
Oct 26, 2012 Betsy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
No mistake, Bob Goff does lead an incredible life. And while I love his thesis of love not just being, but actually doing, it's clear that Bob makes a lot of money. He uses this money to help kids in Uganda and India, but also to fly across the country for the sake of a practical joke. I don't know, some parts just rubbed me the wrong way, along with the rampant over-use of the words "whimsy" and "caper." I would highly recommend some cherry-picked chapters, though. And I love this part like cra ...more
Eric Moote
Dec 28, 2012 Eric Moote rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christian
Overall: I read this book in one day of travel from Austin, TX to Orange County, CA, so it took about 4 hours or reading. If you know me at all, then you know that I don't read books straight through very often. That speaks volumes in itself. The book is great! I highly recommend it to anyone looking for good stories and a great example of how to show Christ in your life through loving others.

I was given this book as a Christmas gift because my Mother-in-Law sat next to Bob Goff on a flight from
Bob Henry
May 11, 2012 Bob Henry rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I admit it. I am tired of arguing, debating, and spending so much of my time researching just to find an answer to another of life’s dilemmas. From family life to the weekly sermons, I find myself on a constant “rat race” to find answers, truth, and sometimes a way around it all–just finishing a doctoral program probably doesn’t help this mindset.

I have found over time, academia and religion have a way of taking the fun and reality out of reading. Books become resources, articles hold keys to g
Morgan
Nov 21, 2012 Morgan rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Welp, I was given an inscribed copy of this book by the author. So I read it. I think Bob is a good guy. I *really* appreciate that all the proceeds of the book are coming back here to Gulu. It's just that I think a better subtitle for the book would be, "Pick an Anicdote, They all Lead to Jesus - No Matter How Far I Have to Stretch I'll Find a Way."
So much eye rolling took place while reading, I had a very hard time paying attention to the message. Which in and of itself is nice - love is abou
Irene
Oct 05, 2016 Irene rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
In 31 short chapters, Goff narrates various personal experiences to illustrate spiritual platitudes. His premise is that God’s love is real, active and whimsical and our love for God and one another must be the same. In tone, humor, word choice and even the terms he found it necessary to explain, this had the feel of an inspirational speaker addressing a middle school youth group. Although simplistic, I did not find his message offensive, but I did find the delivery of that message condescending ...more
Tung
Jul 30, 2014 Tung rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Goff is one of the more popular Christian speakers, and this book is loved by all of the younger, hipper Christians (especially those that belong to missional churches) – so I know I’m going to receive flak over my review. This book absolutely infuriated me. Goff shares anecdotes from his life, and uses these anecdotes to make a point about God/Jesus and faith. In the initial chapter, for example, Goff related a story about him deciding to leave high school as a junior and moving to Yosemite. Wh ...more
Jessica
Feb 17, 2013 Jessica rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Jessica by: Gina
I've heard that Bob Goff is a great and inspirational speaker, and I can certainly believe that, but this book is a compilation of everything I hate about American Christian Culture. The obsession with manliness and "guy things." Lame jokes and forced metaphors. Reducing people to simplistic stereotypes (the phrase "bad guys" is used repeatedly throughout). Bizarre sweeping assumptions about people who aren't upper-middle-class white men. The fact that some version of the phrase "rode hard and p ...more
Carol Bushard
I hate it when people recommend a book and don't tell me that it's a Jesus/God book! I read all the stories which were OK and then skipped the part after each story that talks about religious implications. I consider myself a Christian but like to know before I start a book that it leans in the preachy direction.
Jason McIntire
Jan 06, 2017 Jason McIntire rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: did-not-finish
I probably would have read through to the end of this book if I'd had time before it had to go back to the library. Since I did not finish it, I will not address the worldview and philosophy of "Love Does," which, insofar as I read, seemed partly right but somewhat out of perspective. I will say that this is a very engaging book, written with sparkling humor and wit. Also, it is undeniable that the author has had, to say the least, an extraordinary life.

Why, then, the one-star rating? In my opin
Krissy Delovely
Some people add whimsy to their lives by making up songs when they're happy. Others put birds on things. If you're the author of Love Does, you need a lot of money, plenty of free time and even more privilege in order to live a lovely, whimsical life.

I wanted to like Love Does, really I did. I read about the concept and got really excited to hear about injecting whimsy and more love into my life. All of the reviews glowed and gushed with admiration for Bob Goff and his "whimsical" way of going t
Daniel Threlfall
Aug 08, 2012 Daniel Threlfall rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012
Love Does is a fun book. It’s a fun book because it’s very human, and you get to hear all the crazy things that humans do. In fact, the whole book is a series of anecdotes about one human — author Bob Goff. He recounts the usually hilarious, often unorthodox, and frequently shocking events of his life, and extrapolates spiritual life lessons therefrom. The book’s power lies in its quotable one-liners, heart-tugging tales of love, and poignant insights into human nature. I found myself laughing o ...more
Amanda Espinoza
Jun 08, 2015 Amanda Espinoza rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A review I wrote at amanda.so

The first time I saw Bob Goff was at IF:Gathering right before he left the theater in a cupcake food truck. The next day he was interviewed at the conference with his wife, Maria. I don’t remember what they said in the interview, but it made me curious about this lawyer guy and his smiling wife.

A few weeks after the conference his book Love Does: Discover a Secretly Incredible Life in an Ordinary World was on sale for $1.99. The reviews on Goodreads are mixed. Most
Gail
Jul 05, 2012 Gail rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It's not fair of me to critique a book like this — one with a theme (that love isn't about a feeling or a choice of words but about DOING and SHOWING how you mean it) I wholeheartedly support. And yet, I'm going to.

Because even though I'm still glad I read it (and I'm glad my purchase of it supports Bob's international non-profit, Restore International) at times, I wasn't always glad to BE reading it.

My issue with "Love Does" was this: Overall, Bob Goff's stories were hit or miss. There were 31
Clay Morgan
Jun 13, 2012 Clay Morgan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Every once in a while you read a book that enthralls so much you wish everyone in the world would read it. I figured I would like Love Does but didn't expect it to instantly be one of my favorite works of nonfiction ever.

Bob Goff is a special guy. I doubt you'll be able to read this book without wondering where someone like him comes from or how anybody could see the world in such a unique way. I literally want to drive across the country and meet him. The crazy thing is, if I called and said I
Ginger
Jun 02, 2012 Ginger rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Larry Thompson
I really enjoyed this book. It was a immensely fun read.

It was significantly light on theology, to be sure (there was at least one chapter I borderline disagreed with, and a couple that made me slightly question), but his examples challenged me, and I have a feeling I will be thinking about his whimsy for quite some time.

I'd be interested to hear my father's thoughts on this. One of the formative concepts of my life is his life message: Do. Be. Know. (Great explanation of the concept here: http:
Eileen
Oct 27, 2015 Eileen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book took me a while to get through, half way it felt like I was reading similar things from chapter to chapter. I finally picked it back up to finish yesterday. Goff has a wonderful message he shares through the book. At times it is hard to relate to how he loves others/shows the love of Jesus to others as he has more means than most. But to leave it at that, would be to miss the point of the book. We all can show Jesus' love through tangible ways.
Carrie
Jan 17, 2017 Carrie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
i loved this book. I read it laying on a beach during my honeymoon and it was the perfect setting for a book like this.
Dean Anderson
Mar 17, 2012 Dean Anderson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Let’s start with that full disclosure thing: Bob Goff is a friend, now a Facebook friend but back in college a face to face friend. We worked in Young Life together, both went to San Diego State (he was a couple of years ahead of me) and went to church together. So one of the reasons I enjoyed this book was as an opportunity to hang out (in a literary way) with an old friend.
But for you it might be a chance to make a new friend. Bob has a fun, joyful and infectious personality which comes thro
Drew
Dec 16, 2012 Drew rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Bob Goff has something most of us do not. Bob his lived and is currently living a life full of excitement and direction. He is a risk taker and quite comfortable doing what he thinks is write regardless and maybe in spite of cultural norms. I greatly appreciate Bob's example of devotion to the cause of justice for those who cannot defend themselves.

My appreciation for Bob and this book ends about here. I do hope to see Christians forsake idolatrous lives of selfishness, comfort, and safety for a
Fairytale books 2 5 Nov 18, 2015 01:24PM
2017 Reading Chal...: Love Does 1 13 Sep 18, 2015 09:08AM
  • Wrecked: When a Broken World Slams into your Comfortable Life
  • A Million Miles in a Thousand Years: What I Learned While Editing My Life
  • Anything: The Prayer That Unlocked My God and My Soul
  • Unfinished: Believing Is Only the Beginning
  • Bittersweet: Thoughts on Change, Grace, and Learning the Hard Way
  • Interrupted: An Adventure in Relearning the Essentials of Faith (The Navigators Reference Library)
  • Undaunted: Daring to do what God calls you to do
  • Soul Keeping: Caring For the Most Important Part of You
  • Deep and   Wide: Creating Churches Unchurched People Love to Attend
  • More or Less: Choosing a Lifestyle of Excessive Generosity
  • Jesus Is: Find a New Way to Be Human
  • Prototype: What Happens When You Discover You're More Like Jesus Than You Think?
  • Jesus, My Father, The CIA, and Me: A Memoir. . . of Sorts
  • A Million Little Ways: Uncover the Art You Were Made to Live
  • Tables in the Wilderness: A Memoir of God Found, Lost, and Found Again
  • All In: You Are One Decision Away From a Totally Different Life
  • Soul Detox: Clean Living in a Contaminated World
  • Beautiful Outlaw: Experiencing the Playful, Disruptive, Extravagant Personality of Jesus
Bob Goff is the founder of Restore International, a non-profit fighting injustices committed against children in Uganda and India. Bob shares leadership in a Washington law firm, Goff & DeWalt, and he serves as the Honorary Consul for the Republic of Uganda to the United States. He is adjunct professor at Pepperdine Law School and Point Loma Nazarene University in San Diego. Bob lives in San D ...more
More about Bob Goff...

“I used to be afraid of failing at something that really mattered to me, but now I'm more afraid of succeeding at things that don't matter.” 146 likes
“I used to want to fix people, but now I just want to be with them.” 95 likes