The Real Retirement: Why You Could Be Better Off Than You Think, and How to Make That Happen

3.71 of 5 stars 3.71  ·  rating details  ·  17 ratings  ·  5 reviews
Straight Talk and solid retirement advice for all CanadiansIn the face of government changes, financial market volatility, and an aging workforce, Canadians are understandably concerned about the impact on their finances and their future retirement. This reassuring book debunks the generally-accepted claims about necessary savings rates, which can cause paranoia among thos...more
Published November 29th 2012 by John Wiley & Sons (first published January 1st 2012)

Chuck Slack
A good book that provides a no nonsense, mathematical, and logical approach to figuring out how much we need to retire. But what I really liked about was that it was not all financial planning rhetoric, there was advise to live life while we are living and working not pining away for some utopian retirement while forgetting to live and enjoy life along the way.
William
The author does seem to capture what I suspect most Canadians will be doing in this generation.

I was unimpressed by how he seemed to write that "People who focus their attention too much on planning for their retirement risk missing too much of their life before retirement, and that’s a tragedy".

His basic premise seems to be that most Canadians will only save a small portion of possible RRSP and TFSA savings that they could, in one example using 3.8% of total salary and in another example 6% o...more
Winnie
And very sensible book analyzing how we should prepare ourselves for retirement.
Lots of information about where your money comes from for the retirement : saving, investment, pension, government.
Also, about how much money is needed in different stages of retirement.
Then concluded that Canadians are better off than they think financially in their retirement stage.
So relax,just enjoy the present, enjoy what you like to do.
Jenny
Very good, hot-off-the-press, and Canadian - my favorite kind of personal finance book. Basically, we (as Canadians) worry too much about not having enough money in retirement. This book addresses that quite successfully, imo. I (specifically) am doing everything right and I can continue to not worry too much about my personal finances - everything is going well and according to plan.
Robert
Robert marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2014
Mahrie G.
Mahrie G. marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2014
Donna Tunney
Donna Tunney is currently reading it
Jun 24, 2014
Grant
Grant marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2014
Martha
Martha marked it as to-read
May 26, 2014
Matt Blair
Matt Blair marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2014
Suzanne
Suzanne marked it as to-read
Mar 19, 2014
Nct
Nct is currently reading it
Mar 02, 2014
Lilypad
Lilypad marked it as to-read
Feb 19, 2014
Spudd
Spudd added it
Nov 20, 2013
Hilliary Smith
Hilliary Smith marked it as to-read
Oct 28, 2013
Ambrose
Ambrose marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2013
Laura added it
Aug 06, 2013
Margie
Margie added it
Aug 04, 2013
Urose
Urose marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2013