Start by marking “The Real Retirement: Why You Could Be Better Off Than You Think, and How to Make That Happen” as Want to Read:

3.79 of 5 stars 3.79  ·  rating details  ·  34 ratings  ·  6 reviews
Straight Talk and solid retirement advice for all CanadiansIn the face of government changes, financial market volatility, and an aging workforce, Canadians are understandably concerned about the impact on their finances and their future retirement. This reassuring book debunks the generally-accepted claims about necessary savings rates, which can cause paranoia among thos ...more
Published November 29th 2012 by Wiley (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Real Retirement, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Real Retirement

Chuck Slack
A good book that provides a no nonsense, mathematical, and logical approach to figuring out how much we need to retire. But what I really liked about was that it was not all financial planning rhetoric, there was advise to live life while we are living and working not pining away for some utopian retirement while forgetting to live and enjoy life along the way.
The author does seem to capture what I suspect most Canadians will be doing in this generation.

I was unimpressed by how he seemed to write that "People who focus their attention too much on planning for their retirement risk missing too much of their life before retirement, and that’s a tragedy".

His basic premise seems to be that most Canadians will only save a small portion of possible RRSP and TFSA savings that they could, in one example using 3.8% of total salary and in another example 6% o
And very sensible book analyzing how we should prepare ourselves for retirement.
Lots of information about where your money comes from for the retirement : saving, investment, pension, government.
Also, about how much money is needed in different stages of retirement.
Then concluded that Canadians are better off than they think financially in their retirement stage.
So relax,just enjoy the present, enjoy what you like to do.
The 1st portion of the book much more interesting and helpful. These guys are actuaries and their investment advice reflects that.
Well written advice about how to plan for retirement. We are going to rethink some of our numbers with this data.
Very good, hot-off-the-press, and Canadian - my favorite kind of personal finance book. Basically, we (as Canadians) worry too much about not having enough money in retirement. This book addresses that quite successfully, imo. I (specifically) am doing everything right and I can continue to not worry too much about my personal finances - everything is going well and according to plan.
Christine marked it as to-read
Nov 23, 2015
Barbara marked it as to-read
Nov 14, 2015
Bal marked it as to-read
Nov 10, 2015
Stewart Mcgillivray
Stewart Mcgillivray marked it as to-read
Nov 07, 2015
Jason Hill
Jason Hill is currently reading it
Nov 05, 2015
Jim marked it as to-read
Amar Baines
Amar Baines marked it as to-read
Dennis Wilson
Dennis Wilson marked it as to-read
Tom Callaghan
Tom Callaghan marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2015
John marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2015
Rose marked it as to-read
May 31, 2015
Hans marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2015
Mark marked it as to-read
Dec 14, 2014