A Grid for Murder

A Grid for Murder (A Mystery by the Numbers #3)

3.72 of 5 stars 3.72  ·  rating details  ·  57 ratings  ·  15 reviews
Savannah Stone makes her living creating puzzles for logic lovers. But when a novice puzzle maker's number is up, Savannah has to fill in the blanks to solve a murder . . .
Savannah would almost rather drink poison than have tea with Joanna Clayton. Not only is the unpleasant woman one of the worst gossips in Asheville, North Carolina, over tea she flaunts her new assignme...more
Published October 1st 2012 by Berkley Books

Cheryl Landmark
My bad. I'm usually so careful about starting off a series with the first book, but, for some reason, I missed the fact that this was the third book in the A Mystery by the Numbers series. Oh, well.

Anyway, this was an enjoyable read for the most part, despite the fact that I came into the storyline a little later than usual. There was enough back story references to give me the general gist of the history of Savannah and Zach.

For the most part, I liked the characters and the mystery. Savannah so...more
Fred
A Grid For Murder is the third book in the A Mystery By The Numbers series by Casey Mayes.

Savannah Stone needs to go to Asheville to do some shopping and afterwards decides to stop be Cafe Noir for some refreshment before heading back to her home in Parson's Valley, that she shares with her retired police chief husband, Zach. Just as she finds a table, Joanna Clayton, waves and invites Savannah to share her table. Then Laura and Sandra, also from Parson's Valley are invited to the table. None of...more
LORI CASWELL
Savannah Stone makes her living creating puzzles for logic lovers but her life hardly follows a logical course. Who could have dreamed that Joanne Clayton would get a job for a local newspapers creating puzzles? A newspaper that has repeatedly turned down Savannah's work. Joanna Clayton knows nothing about making puzzles, all she knows how to do is spread gossip. There is no way this makes any sense but Savannah heard it directly from Joanne herself. Right there at the Cafe Noir. Savannah just w...more
Christine
Freelance puzzle creator Savannah Stone is happily married to Zach, a retired police chief, and is loving life in Parson’s Valley, North Carolina. One afternoon while running an errand to nearby Asheville, Savannah is approached by a not so friendly acquaintance, Joanne Clayton. Savannah and Joanne share a table at an outdoor café, where Joanne boasts to Savannah that she is getting into the puzzle-creating business. Joanne is later found dead – a victim of poisoning. Joanne had plenty of enemie...more
Jeannie and Louis Rigod
This third book in the 'A Mystery by the Numbers' series has to be my favorite one yet. Our sleuth, Savannah Stone only went into Asheville, NC to fax her latest math puzzle to her syndicate office, thought she would have a nice bite to eat outside and enjoy the fall weather at a cute cafe, The Cafe Noir. What happened is that she had a cup of tea with a woman who would shortly be a murder victim.

Savannah, married to the former Charlotte, NC Police Chief, Zach Stone, finds herself among several...more
Hillary
Decent cozy, though not quite enough atmosphere for me. Basically once our main character is on the case, that's all she does - stalk around town and question people. No working in of puzzles or atmosphere. No plot to have her accidentally overhear conversations, or learn things from third sources - just interviews and trips to City Hall/Hall of Records. I may go back and read the first in the series, but I hope it is a step up in the other elements.
Natalie
I wanted to really like this because I'm sick of so many of these involving someone dating (and I've been married for almost 13 years) but it just didn't work out as being a book I'd love, even though I appreciated someone in a happy marriage.

Not bad, just not anything to get excited about.
Joyce Rawlins
I enjoywd this book. The main character created math puzzles for a local newspaper. Her competitor gave her a hard time until she ended up dead. I didn't want to put the book down.
Amy
Enjoyed the book for the loveable character Savannah. Surprisingly it was a hard book to put down and had me guessing til the end.
Betty
the plot was much too simple for my tastes and the relationship with her husband much too bland
'jean
It's a mystery...the plot was okay, the writing was average.
Lillie
Loved it! Please tell me there is a book #4....
Anastasia
Did not feel outcome provided all the answers
June
I read this in one day. was very good.
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2014
Ami
Ami added it
Jul 28, 2014
Deb Sharp
Deb Sharp marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2014
Rob Bekkers
Rob Bekkers marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2014
Elle
Elle added it
Jun 07, 2014
Chim
Chim marked it as to-read
Jun 03, 2014
Angela
Angela marked it as to-read
May 22, 2014
Jenni Schell
Jenni Schell marked it as to-read
May 12, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
A Deadly Row (A Mystery By The Numbers, #1) A Killer Column (Mystery by the Numbers, #2)