Start by marking “A Grid for Murder” as Want to Read:
A Grid for Murder

A Grid for Murder (A Mystery by the Numbers #3)

3.74  ·  Rating Details  ·  87 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
Savannah Stone makes her living creating puzzles for logic lovers. But when a novice puzzle maker's number is up, Savannah has to fill in the blanks to solve a murder . . .
Savannah would almost rather drink poison than have tea with Joanna Clayton. Not only is the unpleasant woman one of the worst gossips in Asheville, North Carolina, over tea she flaunts her new assignme
Published October 1st 2012 by Berkley Books

To ask other readers questions about A Grid for Murder, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Grid for Murder

Cheryl Landmark
My bad. I'm usually so careful about starting off a series with the first book, but, for some reason, I missed the fact that this was the third book in the A Mystery by the Numbers series. Oh, well.

Anyway, this was an enjoyable read for the most part, despite the fact that I came into the storyline a little later than usual. There was enough back story references to give me the general gist of the history of Savannah and Zach.

For the most part, I liked the characters and the mystery. Savannah so
Fred
Sep 24, 2012 Fred rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A Grid For Murder is the third book in the A Mystery By The Numbers series by Casey Mayes.

Savannah Stone needs to go to Asheville to do some shopping and afterwards decides to stop be Cafe Noir for some refreshment before heading back to her home in Parson's Valley, that she shares with her retired police chief husband, Zach. Just as she finds a table, Joanna Clayton, waves and invites Savannah to share her table. Then Laura and Sandra, also from Parson's Valley are invited to the table. None of
LORI CASWELL
Jan 16, 2016 LORI CASWELL rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2012
Savannah Stone makes her living creating puzzles for logic lovers but her life hardly follows a logical course. Who could have dreamed that Joanne Clayton would get a job for a local newspapers creating puzzles? A newspaper that has repeatedly turned down Savannah's work. Joanna Clayton knows nothing about making puzzles, all she knows how to do is spread gossip. There is no way this makes any sense but Savannah heard it directly from Joanne herself. Right there at the Cafe Noir. Savannah just w ...more
Christine
Feb 03, 2013 Christine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Freelance puzzle creator Savannah Stone is happily married to Zach, a retired police chief, and is loving life in Parson’s Valley, North Carolina. One afternoon while running an errand to nearby Asheville, Savannah is approached by a not so friendly acquaintance, Joanne Clayton. Savannah and Joanne share a table at an outdoor café, where Joanne boasts to Savannah that she is getting into the puzzle-creating business. Joanne is later found dead – a victim of poisoning. Joanne had plenty of enemie ...more
Jeannie and Louis Rigod
This third book in the 'A Mystery by the Numbers' series has to be my favorite one yet. Our sleuth, Savannah Stone only went into Asheville, NC to fax her latest math puzzle to her syndicate office, thought she would have a nice bite to eat outside and enjoy the fall weather at a cute cafe, The Cafe Noir. What happened is that she had a cup of tea with a woman who would shortly be a murder victim.

Savannah, married to the former Charlotte, NC Police Chief, Zach Stone, finds herself among several
Hillary
Jul 13, 2013 Hillary rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cozy-mysteries
Decent cozy, though not quite enough atmosphere for me. Basically once our main character is on the case, that's all she does - stalk around town and question people. No working in of puzzles or atmosphere. No plot to have her accidentally overhear conversations, or learn things from third sources - just interviews and trips to City Hall/Hall of Records. I may go back and read the first in the series, but I hope it is a step up in the other elements.
Natalie
Feb 09, 2014 Natalie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: penguin-2013
I wanted to really like this because I'm sick of so many of these involving someone dating (and I've been married for almost 13 years) but it just didn't work out as being a book I'd love, even though I appreciated someone in a happy marriage.

Not bad, just not anything to get excited about.
Joyce Rawlins
Feb 22, 2013 Joyce Rawlins rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoywd this book. The main character created math puzzles for a local newspaper. Her competitor gave her a hard time until she ended up dead. I didn't want to put the book down.
Amy
Jul 11, 2013 Amy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyed the book for the loveable character Savannah. Surprisingly it was a hard book to put down and had me guessing til the end.
Serena
Apr 01, 2016 Serena rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
My Rating System:
Misslea007
Slow and formulaic in the beginning. Quicker and more suspenseful toward the latter parts.
Betty
Aug 21, 2013 Betty rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
the plot was much too simple for my tastes and the relationship with her husband much too bland
ChrisGA
Dec 04, 2015 ChrisGA rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this series as well as the lighthouse series under the name Tim Myers
'jean
Dec 18, 2013 'jean rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
It's a mystery...the plot was okay, the writing was average.
Pamela Richard
Nov 22, 2014 Pamela Richard rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really liked this series, wish there were more!
Lillie
Apr 25, 2014 Lillie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it! Please tell me there is a book #4....
Anastasia
Jan 19, 2013 Anastasia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Did not feel outcome provided all the answers
June
Apr 04, 2013 June rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this in one day. was very good.
Amy Friedman
Amy Friedman rated it it was amazing
Aug 22, 2016
Samantha
Samantha marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2016
Levina Goon
Levina Goon marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2016
Ilene Harris
Ilene Harris marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2016
Brittany
Brittany marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2016
Jody
Jody marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2016
Deborah Bartosh
Deborah Bartosh rated it really liked it
Jul 17, 2016
Tammy Goldthorpe
Tammy Goldthorpe marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2016
Virginia
Virginia rated it really liked it
Jun 04, 2016
MJ
MJ marked it as to-read
May 31, 2016
Joe
Joe marked it as to-read
May 29, 2016
Stacey Schneller
Stacey Schneller marked it as to-read
May 28, 2016
  • Black Crow White Lie
  • Epiphany
  • Sleeping With Dogs and Other Lovers: A Second Acts Novel
  • Valentina Goldman's Immaculate Confusion
  • Hot Button (Button Box Mystery, #2)
  • Corpse in the Crystal Ball (Fortune Teller Mystery, #2)
  • Deadly Patterns (A Magical Dressmaking Mystery #3)
  • Bruja Brouhaha (A Mind for Murder, #2)
  • Finished Off (Bellehaven House, #2)
  • Pinned for Murder (A Southern Sewing Circle, #3)
  • The Diva Digs Up the Dirt (A Domestic Diva Mystery, #6)
  • A Sinister Sense (Raven's Nest, #2)
  • A Night at the Operation (Double Feature Mystery #3)
  • Hearse and Buggy (An Amish Mystery, #1)
  • String of Lies (Craft Corner, #2)
  • The Probability of Murder (Sophie Knowles, #2)
  • Closet Confidential (A Charlotte Adams Mystery #4)
  • Iced Chiffon (Consignment Shop Mystery, #1)

A Mystery by the Numbers (3 books)
  • A Deadly Row (A Mystery By The Numbers, #1)
  • A Killer Column (Mystery by the Numbers, #2)