Start by marking “Practically Wicked” as Want to Read:
Practically Wicked

Practically Wicked (Haverston Family #3)

3.71 of 5 stars 3.71  ·  rating details  ·  224 ratings  ·  41 reviews
For some, virtue is a vice

As the illegitimate daughter of a scandalous woman, Miss AnnaRees is almost as well known for having been raised in the hedonistic demimonde as she is for her quiet nature. Anna longs to leave behind her mother’s world of courtesans…until she unexpectedly meets the handsome, charming and decidedly wicked Lord Dane. If only she could convince him t
Published October 1st 2012 by Berkley Books

To ask other readers questions about Practically Wicked, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Practically Wicked

Miss Anna Rees, The Ice Maiden of Anover House is said to be reclusive and spoilt. But Lord Maximilian Dane finds her anything but cold and unsociable. When he stumbles (literally) across Anna at the famous high-classed brothel, slightly drunk and trying to drown his sorrows at inheriting the title of viscount from his late brother, he's immediately attracted to the charming Anna. And he tells her he will call upon her in the coming week.

For Anna this is her first real conversation with any gent
Rachel (BAVR)
In the vast mob of Regency romance authors, Alissa Johnson is one of the few I'll read faithfully. I can't quite put my finger on why. Maybe because her characters aren't so dumb that their anachronistic little brains fall out of their stupid heads? Johnson writes characters with at least a modicum of intelligence who mostly act appropriately for the time period.

It's telling that I will read most of an HR author's work on the premise that her characters aren't quite as fucking dumb as others in

Sums up my reaction after finishing this awesomesauce book in one day.
Guess what did I just do?
Well, instead of studying like a normal student would before The Anatomy exam, I started this book this morning as a relaxation. I said to myself, just ten minutes while I drink my coffee.
And guess what. I just finished the book. No break needed, no fussing around like when I'm studying. No. I sat there very calmly and read the whole effing book. And it was worth it. I guess.
It was a great distraction, one I really needed. And now I'm satisfied with my new calm state.
Mary C. *Nulla in mundo pax sincera*
Reading this book left me feeling slightly unsatisfied, in part due to my own expectations formed from its intriguing premise, which might have set me up for some disappointments.

Anna Rees had grown up with her mother in the demimonde, living a cloistered life until one night when she encounters Viscount Maximilian Dane, who, despite being drunk, fascinated her in his charming demeanor. Max was equally enchanted with the innocent Anna, who had never seen such a mix of refreshing honesty and shy
Lynn Spencer
I still remember the first time I read Georgette Heyer's Venetia. I loved that story because the intelligent characters made me want, more than anything, for them to fall in love and live happily ever after. I found myself having similar feelings as I read Practically Wicked by Alissa Johnson. The characters utterly charmed me, and the dialogue just sparkled as I flew through the pages of a book I didn't want to end.

Readers in Romancelandia have grown accustomed to rakes as heroes, but in this n
Ana Rînceanu
I really liked the characters and the writing style, but this book needed to be 80 pages shorter.
4.0 Sterne

Am Anfang war ich überrascht, dass die Geschichte 4 Jahre nach dem kennenlernen spielt und es ein Missverständnis zwischen beiden gab, für das beide nichts können. Ich war überrascht, da ich vom Klappentext her etwas anderes erwartet hätte, sodass es wenigstens am Anfang ein paar Überraschungen gab, wenn auch nicht später.

Was der Roman ist:

- sympathische Charaktere
- eine außergewöhnliche Heldin
- einen nicht ganz
CJ Patrick
I am so glad I read this book. It is my first Alissa Johnson and it really met all my expectations. This book has been garnering some really good reviews and it deserves them. Anna Reese is completely believable as her role as a sheltered, hidden child of an aging courtesan who just wants to escape. She is naive, but extremely well-educated thanks to her governess/companion. It was a shock to me when her actual age is revealed at the end of the book.

Max is the perfect foil for her. He is initia
This is almost ALL character development. Not much in the way of action but that's what I liked about it. I love when characters are mature and slowly develop their relationships.

There wasn't a lot of drama though and Lord Dane wasn't particularly wicked. Which is fine....I loved him but with little to no conflict and not enough steamy sex scenes it felt a little slow.

Practically Wicked would be a good book when you want a slow simmering romance with two intelligent characters that you can't hel

Anna Rees had grown up with her mother living a sheltered life until she meets Viscount Maximilian Dane, fascinated her, even though he was drunk. He had a charming aura about him.This wasn't a one sided admiration. Max was in awe of the Innocent Anna. He had never been around anyone who was so charmingly honest and sweetly shy. They had a meeting planned but due to circumstances that meeting didn't take place until 4 years later. They both ran into each other when Anna went to visit her n
The exchanges between the heroine and hero are excellent. Several very funny passages,sometimes you can't keep from laughing out loud. Indeed, a keeper.
After three solid books in a row, I think we can officially be certain that Alissa Johnson is one of my favorite historical romance authors. Practically Wicked was charming, sweet, and enjoyable from start to finish. I loved how Max and Anna’s story had familiar elements but at the same time wasn’t exactly what I expected. Really, the entire book just made me exceedingly happy.

Johnson’s type of romance consists of lighthearted but real stories about mature adults. But as cute as her books are, t
I do so like Alissa Johnson. Her stories flow well, the writing is good, there is a a sprinkling of wit, but most of all, she is very good at characters.

Our heroine, Anna Rees, is a illegitimate daughter of a courtesan and a peer. She has been a recluse at her mother's house, but finally breaks free and gets to know her family. She is both strong and self-assured, yet bears the marks of her unconventional and isolated upbringing. The way she was sometimes a bit socially awkward rang very true fo
Reviewed for TwoLips Reviews, LLC
4 1/2 Kisses, ) peppers (M/F sweet romance)

When Viscount Maximilian Dane first meets Miss Anna Rees, he's drunk and just inherited his title. He's not pleased to have inherited the responsibility. Despite his stupor, he manages to see the allure of Anna, which is contrary to her reputation of being a spoiled Ice Queen. For her part, Anna is sure she is simultaneously the most notorious and the most boring spinster in the world. He promises to call on her the fol
Lord Rose
While reading this book, I discovered that I had actually read the previous book in the series, but that I'd forgotten I had. Actually, I remembered having it in my TBR pile, and I remember returning it to the library at some point, but I thought I'd returned it unread. So I was slightly surprised when I actually (kind of) remembered what had happened in it.

Anyway, I quite liked this book. The hero was, as the heroine said, adorable. (Even if he was not particularly thrilled by the label.)

The re
(Eirene) Sleepless Romantics
Practically Wicked is sweet and quite romantic. The focus of the book was on Viscount Max Dane and Miss Anna Rees. The conflict was how Miss Anna Rees’ reputation, thanks to her mother, might affect the future of this reluctantly blooming romance. Anna, despite or rather due to the fact that her mother is one of the most infamous ladies in the demimonde, suffers from the immense need to separate herself from the ton and the demimonde. She is well too aware of how she is viewed by society and wan ...more
Samantha Brody
3.5 stars: Also delightful! Misunderstandings & second chance romances & found families (also my weaknesses, also not necessarily in that order).

Have I mentioned how much I enjoy dumb pining boys and girls who have things to do (not including dumb boys)?

This one could have used a bit more external plot/dramas to keep things tidily moving along, but beyond that, I was pretty happy with this book. More Alissa Johnson please.
an easy read. the writing is very good. it flows very smoothly - a vital ability for authors, but many of HRs i recently read felt somewhat amatuerish, so I really appreciated the good writing here. The plot was relatively simple - no revenge, no secret but just two people falling in love despite difference between them. I absolutely LOVED the author didn't contrive ridiculous plot twists or try to make their romance unbelievably easy. They have disagreements. They don't settle it outright; as m ...more
It was..okay,I think. I don't know why there have to be an evil someone in every historical romance,though she couldn't do much,but still. I appreciated that the misunderstandings were resolved fast and the obstacle which kept them apart was no other than their reluctance to yield one and other's lifestyle and thoughts. That gave the story a reality,I always like that. All and all it was a mild read,nor here or there.
What I particularly liked about this book was that the misunderstanding about him visiting when they first met is resolved quite early and the rest of the book is devoted to the development of their relationship which evolves naturally over the course of the stroy. I like that there was no great misunderstanding them keeping them apart after they had fallen in love (the conflict was there based on there differing positions but they never doubted their feelings). Sometimes there is a risk that a ...more
Frances Fuller
I don't know if this is really five stars but I had begun to believe two was all I was ever going to get. Loved the characters, well developed plot, and read it straight through.
Turned away by her controlling mother, Max encounters Anna again when she visits her just-discovered half brother. The two fall in love during morning walks through the countryside as Anna gets to know her new family.

After a dry spelling where historical romances are concerned, I've found one I thoroughly enjoyed. I've read so many historical romances with ridiculous plots that it was a relief to read such a simple story. I loved how the two characters spend a lot of time together, how the plot
The novel was okay enough. Can't say I care for the theme (rake reforms for virgin)... bleh.
a great story about how a mistreated young woman finds her place in the world
Fantastic! I have loved Alissa Johnson since I read her Providence series, but this just reminded me of why I love her work so much. The characters felt like people. They had their own individual traits and faults. The had misunderstandings that they actually CLEARED UP! I felt bad for Anna, but she remained a lady, regardless of how she was treated. I was actually really happy when they got their HEA. They deserved it. It was a legitimate love story. I will read anything this author puts out. S ...more
I liked Anna's discovery of her own character. It was a new twist to character development. She is the Ice Maiden of Anover House, or so everyone, including Lord Maximillian Dane, thinks of her. A pretty but uninteresting daughter of a courtesan. However, a chance meeting between Lord Dane and Anna changes his opinion. Max's character seemed like a secondary character to me compared to Anna. It was Anna's story and her journey.
Ahahaha, please don't judge this book by the cover. The title is ridiculous and the cover is...well, the point is don't judge the book by the cover. Unless you like the cover, in which case, judge away.

In addition to everything else, I really liked the character of the mom. I think Anna was a touch too hard on her, but I get it.
Oh that was a good one. Just like the one I read connected to this one "Nearly a Lady".

There is something so real and full of heart about this book.

These 2 are trying to find their way to each other, all the way to the end. Wonderful characters. Emotional and romantic.
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Feb 04, 2015 06:33AM
  • An Infamous Marriage
  • The Duke's Tattoo (The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse , #1)
  • One Wild Night
  • The Duke's Match Girl - A Fiery Tale Novella (Fiery Tales, #4.5)
  • A Gentle Grace (Wedded Women Quartet, #4)
  • A Tryst with Trouble
  • The Wicked Wyckerly (Rebellious Sons, #1)
  • Follow My Lead (The Blue Raven, #3)
  • Untamed
  • In For a Penny
  • Fallen
  • Wicked Nights With a Proper Lady (Dangerous Rogues, #1)
  • That Scandalous Summer (Rules for the Reckless, #1)
  • A Lady's Revenge (Nexus, #1)
  • Till Next We Meet
  • The Last Rogue (Regency Quartet, #4)
  • A Gentleman Undone (Blackshear Family, #2)
  • For the Earl's Pleasure
Alissa Johnson lives in the rolling hills of the Ozarks, where she is hard at work on her next romance.
More about Alissa Johnson...

Haverston Family (3 books)
  • Nearly a Lady
  • An Unexpected Gentleman
Nearly a Lady Tempting Fate (Providence, #2) As Luck Would Have It (Providence, #1) An Unexpected Gentleman McAlistair's Fortune  (Providence, #3)