Start by marking “The Olive Grove: A Palestinian Story” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
The Olive Grove: A Pal...

Deborah Rohan

The Olive Grove: A Palestinian Story

4.32 of 5 stars 4.32  ·  rating details  ·  84 ratings  ·  19 reviews
The Moghrabis have lived in Palestine for centuries. Near the end of the First World War, Ottoman soldier Kamal Moghrabi is imprisoned by his Turkish masters. Reunited with his family after being freed by British soldiers, he marries his childhood friend Haniya. But their happiness is short-lived as their homeland is ravaged by violence between the local Arab population an ...more
Published January 16th 2012 by Saqi Books (first published September 11th 2001)

To ask other readers questions about The Olive Grove, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Olive Grove

Theconsciousmuslim
Deborah Rohan undertook this unenviable task of writing a fictional autobiographical account about a Palestinian family. The story follows the Moghrabi family’s transition from comfort, prosperity and luxury, to statelessness, uncertainty and hardship amidst a time of political unrest due to two world wars. It then depicts their fight for freedom under Turkish and then British rule, which was consquently followed by the illegal Zionist occupation.

The novel is based around the lives of Hamzi Mogh
Mohammad Z
It's an awesome read, especially if you like historical non-fiction books. It gets emotional towards the end, due to the attacks from the Zionists and the unforeseen hardship the family faces during the final days of the British Mandate. Dramatic-Irony plays a very big part as well; the whole time they're talking about returning back to their home in Akka (Acre), the reader knows- from history- its very unlikely. :(
Thomas Hübner

The sturdy and resilient olive tree is the perfect tree for the dry mediterranean climate of a big part of Southern Europe and the Middle East. When you plant an olive tree or a whole olive grove, it will take fifteen to twenty years until the saplings will bear for the first time fruits that are ready to be harvested. Whoever plants an olive grove makes a statement: this is my home and I intend to stay and hand it over one day to the next generation.

Deborah Ro
Jeanne
Jan 05, 2008 Jeanne rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: those who think they don't know much about the history of the present-day conflict.
When I told a local high school teacher that I was about to launch an expedition on the Israeli-Palestinian conflict with my middle school students, she immediately said, "If you're going to teach anything about the I-P conflict, you have to read Moghrabi's Olives first." So I promptly headed to the bookstore and purchased a copy. This narrative offers a Palestinian perspective about one family's experience living in historical Palestine from the last years of the Ottoman Empire and its defeat i ...more
Kim
Family biography in fictional form....Palestine 1900-1948....History of Palestine as told through the eyes of the Arabic Moghrabi family in Galilee. Still so very relevant to today's troubles. This book will stay with me.
Maria Mendoza
Es una novela que cuenta el conflicto de Palestina desde el dominio Otomano, Inglés y luego la invasión judía y como se apropiaron a la fuerza del territorio, a través de la vida de una familia adinerada que terminó siendo muy pobre a causa de las guerras y el abuso. Probablemente sea la traducción pero me pareció un tanto literal del inglés, está bien escrito, tiene frases conmovedoras aunque el tono de la escritora es más periodístico que de novela.
Sakura Yue Michaelis
3 and a half.

It is a really good book, but towards the end I felt it dragged a little bit.

Nevertheless, I was pretty much ignorant about Palestine's history, so it was nice to learn more about the country and how the Palestinians lost their land in the hands of the Jews.

Recommended, it was easy to read and very interesting.

I am not in the mood to write a review now, so I'll probably do it in the future. Maybe.
Karla Castillo
Terminé de leerlo en una semana. Es un excelente libro, te lleva de la mano a través de la historia palestina y al menos en mi caso me hizo entender muchas cosas en las que yo me declaraba ignorante. Si te interesa saber de donde proviene el famoso conflicto entre palestinos e israelíes este es un libro que debes de leer para que después puedas profundizar más en el tema.
Ana María
Apasionante libro de la vida real que ayuda entender el conflicto palestino - judío desde la perspectiva de una familia adinerada que sufre todas las situaciones de pobreza y sufrimiento las cuales logra sobrellevar con amor y perseverancia. Inspirador!
Beatriz Palacio
Excelente libro para entender de una manera cercana los orígenes y consecuencias del conflicto árabe-israelí. La historia habla desde el punto de vista palestino pero es muy exacto en sus alusiones históricas. Un drama familiar que retrata claramente las inclemencias de la guerra.
Muy recomendado
Jeanne
Another book that I am re-reading for my "reading for peace" book club. This book was an eye-opener in terms of presenting a Palestinian narrative of the history of the region from the Turkish empire to present day. I've met the author who lives right here in Denver.
Maryte
This was a riveting read, especially towards the end when I couldn't put it down. A fictional biographical account of the history Palestine as told by a member of the Mograbhi family ; a sweet love story. Provided me with the other side of the story. I learned a lot.
Celeste Archer
This book changed my life and helped me find my passion. Highly recommend - read this version rather than the newer one. There are quotes missing from the beginning of each chapter that add such history to the story.
Jill
Wonderful book that offers a compelling viewpoint that we don't often hear. This book really made me think. It showed both the best of humanity and the worst.
Angela
I learned so much from this book regarding the Israeli conflicts & gained a better understanding of the situation thru this lovely story!
Beatrice
Excellent historical research, very real and sad. The main characters kind of got on my nerves though.
Lolyna
I love the way that the author describes the palestian conflict in a really realistic way.
Yanela
Una forma accesible de entender el conflicto Palestino. Una gran novela
Myriam
Una historia impresionante contada de manera impecable y atrapadora
Michelle Abadi
Michelle Abadi marked it as to-read
May 30, 2015
D Sitt
D Sitt marked it as to-read
May 28, 2015
Angel Eads
Angel Eads marked it as to-read
May 26, 2015
Tarique
Tarique marked it as to-read
May 15, 2015
نورة
نورة marked it as to-read
May 13, 2015
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
May 10, 2015