Start by marking “Fully Alive: Lighten Up and Live - A Journey That Will Change Your Life” as Want to Read:
Fully Alive: Lighten Up and Live - A Journey That Will Change Your Life

Fully Alive: Lighten Up and Live - A Journey That Will Change Your Life

4.17 of 5 stars 4.17  ·  rating details  ·  143 ratings  ·  29 reviews
The glory of God is man fully alive.
- St Irenaeus
That s exactly how you were wired to live. Yet sadness, depression, and feelings of apathy and helplessness often characterize your life. You survive but not thrive. This book is a treasure map that leads from monotony to adventure, from boring mediocrity to thrilling risk. Here are detailed directions to take hold of the
Published July 1st 2012 by Thomas Nelson (first published 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Fully Alive, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fully Alive

Cheryl
This book gave me mixed emotions in more than one way.

Overall, Fully Alive made me both cry and laugh out loud. I appreciate both reactions and felt especially pleased when I reminded myself that, laughter truly is good medicine.

Another reason I had mixed emotions was because for quite a while as I read through this book I thought I had been tricked or deceived into what it was all about—what the topic or category of book this was. All the summaries that I had read from the publisher about this
James
I’ve been a fan of Ken Davis for a while. I don’t mean I have really followed his career or anything, but years ago I picked up a cassette tape (remember those?) of a message he gave off the bargain rack at my local Christian bookstore. The message was called Super Sheep and despite not having heard it in years I remember the things Ken said, his depth and his humor. Okay, so I got one of those minds that actually remembers sermons (I’m a freak of nature) but you can ask my wife, she’s heard the ...more
Gea
Davis, Ken, “Fully Alive: a Journey that will Change Your Life”. Thomas Nelson, 2012.

Exciting book of a life fully transformed both physically and spiritually. Full of humorous anecdotes which makes it a fast read and a joyful delight. Ken shares his journey from the “NOOOOO manatee” photo to a svelte 65 yr old man who shed over 80 lbs as well as found his spiritual life re-energized as well. It is a fast read and the laughter you erupt with as you read is truly a prescriptive medicine from whic
Pilar
I admit, I didn't know who Ken Davis was before reading Fully Alive. So, it was especially sweet getting to know him by reading his story.

Ken Davis shares his struggles and triumphs in his life's journey. He doesn't hide anything. He is candid and open in relaying details of his life.

Have you felt depressed or unmotivated lately? Have you been thinking about getting back in shape, but think it's impossible? Do you feel old and listless? Are you just going through the motions in life? Have you t
Paul Armstrong
Helpful and mostly Inspiring.

I listened to this as an audiobook which is narrated by the author. This is doubly useful as the author is also an accomplished speaker and given the subject and desire to inspire it gives it authenticity.
Authenticity is still a wee challenge as the delivery is "American" (An odd adjative to Americans I accept, but to non Americans, like me, I am sure it translates). But I got over myself here and listened to Ken's messages. And they are good.

As a confirmed atheis
Loraine Alcorn
I was able to read Fully Alive by Ken Davis through book sneeze. I thought this book to be a high value Christ centered motivational book . This book takes you through all the many reasons why Ken Davis felt improvements were needed in his life so that he could live Fully Alive. I thought the book really great for motivating anyone who is unsatisfied with the're lives they way they are going and it shows us step by step how to regain what we lost.
Each chapter is great and you will learn a new st
Virginia
“Ohhhh. Your friend here is only mostly dead. There’s a big difference between mostly dead and all dead…Mostly dead is slightly alive. With all dead there is usually only one thing you can do. Go through his clothes and look for loose change.” ~Miracle Max

“Bible belt folks think living is a sin, so they are started dying from the day their born-again.” ~Steve Taylor.

“I have come that you might have life and have it to the full!” ~Jesus Christ.

The book by comedian Ken Davis, Fully Alive, A Journe
Dana Rongione
A man lies in a bed in the ICU of the local hospital. Tubes and wires protrude from his feeble body and wind their way to massive machines on either side of the bed. The lights on the machine and the bouncing bubble that displays the heartbeat give evidence to the fact that this man is indeed alive. But is he living?

A Christian trudges through life doing what must be done to get by. Upon examining his actions, one of two conclusions can be reached: (1) He has arrived at where he wants to be in l
Carla Bruns
This is the story of Ken Davis's move from just being to beingFully Alive.Ken walks you through some life experiences he's had that made him reevaluate how he was living. Changing his physical appearance and becoming more active was not only a physical change but also the start of a spiritual awakening.

This book was not what I expected at all, it wasentirelydifferent. Based on the jacket information, I was surprised to see how much time he spent talking about his weight loss. However, once you g
Cindy Navarro
This book came along just when I needed it. It is filled with encouraging stories, practical ideas, and humor. Throughout the book, Ken tells the reader that there is so much more to life than just existing until death. Age, poor health, obesity, depression, retirement: whether you are facing all, some, or even a different set of obstacles, there is hope to LIVE as long as you breathe. Actually, Ken encourages you to breathe hard as you give all you have in life. When circumstances are crushing ...more
Brent Soderstrum
My men's Bible study group just got done reading this book. We also had the DVD series that went along with it. Davis uses comedy to bring out the theme of the book which is we shouldn't just shut down our life as we get older. We need to live "fully alive" physically, mentally and spiritually.

The group was split on this one. About half really enjoyed it. I was in the other half that thought it was just ok. I did enjoy some of his stories from his life. Losing his granddaughter in the woods, re
Janna
I first heard of Ken Davis at a Speaker's Conference and was delighted to find my favorite story of his, "Law of the Pendulum," included in this inspirational book.

Davis tells of a "life awakening" - body, mind, and spirit - in the golden years of life after other things like a thriving speaking career and private plane have left him empty.

I appreciated the health chapters but most enjoyed the grace references (life in Christ) and agree with Davis that a total awakening is the only one that trul
Rick Drury
My wife brought this book home fron a Women of Faith Conference in Minniapolis. Within 15 minutes of starting the book I told her I was not going to finish it. The story of his grand daughter broke my heart and I didn't want to see how it ended. Having heard the story she encouraged me to read on.
Throughout the book I laughed and I cried. This was a big step in me getting back on track spititually, emotionally and physically. Having told her bits and pieces, now my wife wants to read it.
Highly
Jo
I loved this book... It was read by the author - and it is based on several books that I've read and enjoyed... It's the authors version of how to live fully engaged... Which I'm a huge believer in this concept... He talks of the physical, the social, and the spiritual aspects of our journey... It was a great book to listen to as I commuted during the Holiday season!
Dustin
I enjoyed Ken's humor and the stories he tells to reinforce his perspective on living fully alive. This book wasn't short of entertaining too. I actually laughed out loud while listening to the audiobook!
Terry
Ken Davis is inspirational, funny and insightful in this book. His Christian perspective is refreshing. This is his story about recovering life from the temptation to drift. He has a real knack at whipsawing your emotions while inspiring you.

It is an easy read and definitely recommended.
Carol Dittoe
No one can read this book and not be changed. Ken Davis has the perfect mix of humor, seriousness, and religion to make every reader stop and evaluate his or her live. Are we living fully alive? Read this book and you you have no choice but to live "Fully Alive!" Thanks Ken for a masterpiece!
Marcus Lynn
Davis is one of the funniest Christian speakers I've heard. There's still humor in this book but it doesn't translate as well as it does live and his topic is a little more serious. If you're looking to make some changes to your physical and spiritual life, then pick this one up.
Myrna Parks
I ordered this book from the author's page and I love it! I consider this a marker (or stake) in my spiritual journey. It is just what I need to spur me to press on during these painful trials, called life. From one perfectionist to another--thank you, Ken!
BJ Mcmillen
So far I am enjoying this book. I almost put it down because I thought it was focusing to much on the healthy lifestyle (exercise) in the first half. But I am really enjoying the direction of taking chances and living Fully Alive.
Jeffry
A lot to consider. While simply written - with nice anecdotes - it challenges you to explore own decisions. Really drives home the idea that all of our decisions have consequences - so chose wisely.
Ellien
I opened this book to the chapter on building relationships, then eagerly read the whole book in two nights. Funny, inspirational, and poignant! A must read, even IF you think you are "fully alive".
Deena Shoemaker
Ken Davis is a funny guy. His book made me laugh, it made me cry, but it offered me nothing I hadn't heard before outside of his own personal stories.
Katie Axelson
I was really excited about Fully Alive. Maybe that excitement led to my let-down. Maybe it's the stage of life I'm in right now but I wanted more meat
Amy
It was okay. I've heard Ken speak in the past, and he was hilarious. Honestly, I was expecting more out of this book, I'm a little disappointed.
Mary
fluff, get in shape book, not my favorite
ok if you're looking for inspiration to get moving in all areas of life.
Michelle Bodle
Part of the book I really enjoyed and felt fresh and insightful, the other half not so much.
Sheila Mcadams grimm
Ken Davis leave you with some very compelling statements and motivates us to keep moving.
Josh Ryder
Great, easy read for life inspiration.
Shaunna
Shaunna is currently reading it
Dec 11, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Idol Lies: Facing the Truth About Our Deepest Desires
  • Soul Revolution: How Imperfect People Become All God Intended
  • Life's Healing Choices: Freedom from Your Hurts, Hang-ups, and Habits
  • Undaunted: Daring to Do What God Calls You to Do
  • Unfinished: Believing Is Only the Beginning
  • Lord, Is It Warfare? Teach Me to Stand: A Devotional Study on Spiritual Victory
  • Boundaries with Teens: When to Say Yes, How to Say No
  • Every Bitter Thing Is Sweet: Tasting the Goodness of God in All Things
  • The Holy Wild: Trusting in the Character of God
  • An Unhurried Life: Following Jesus' Rhythms of Work and Rest
  • Your Beautiful Purpose: Discovering and Enjoying What God Can Do Through You
Where the Dead Talk How to Speak to Youth . . . and Keep Them Awake at the Same Time: A Step-By-Step Guide for Improving Your Talks Sheep Tales: The Bible According to the Animals Who Were There Secrets of Dynamic Communications: Prepare with Focus, Deliver with Clarity, Speak with Power Secrets of Dynamic Communication: Preparing and Delivering Powerful Speeches