Start by marking “Homer Price” as Want to Read:
Homer Price

Homer Price (Homer Price #1)

4.07 of 5 stars 4.07  ·  rating details  ·  12,074 ratings  ·  309 reviews
Six episodes in the life of Homer Price including one in which he and his pet skunk capture four bandits and another about a donut machine on the rampage.
Published June 28th 1987 by Scholastic (first published 1943)

To ask other readers questions about Homer Price, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Homer Price

Katharyn
The very first time I read this book, I was breaking the rules. It was naptime at daycare and like a good little tot, I was supposed to be getting some rest. But my cot was right next to a bookshelf and whenever the coast was clear and the others around me had fallen asleep, I would surreptitiously sneak books off the shelf to read. Homer caught my eye because of the doughnuts- and ever since then I can't eat a doughnut without thinking of him and my stolen book moments.
Ebookwormy
Stories extolling midwestern America are about as rare as songs for brown eyed girls. Both of which are so ubiquitous we often fail to notice their charm. But just like Van Morrison's hit, "Brown-Eyed Girl," Robert McCloskey takes the common place and makes it interesting, prized, and beloved.

It's a tribute to his keen cultural eye that an author known for writing compellingly about Boston (Make way for Ducklings!) and Maine (One Morning in Maine), would also have the skill to draw the particula
Ken
I wanted to live in Centerburg when I read this book. I wanted a donut machine. I wanted the book to have more pages. I read it in in a quiet corner of the old Irvington Public Library, curled up in an old, fat leather chair that was hidden from everything else in the world by a wall of books.
Jeremy
Robert McCloskey made such great books for kids. They looked good, they read good. They even smelled good. The majority of McCloskey's books are written with very young children in mind, and they're all classics, deservedly so. "Homer Price" was one of the first books I read that was longer than 15-20 pages and didn't feature paintings of enormous caterpillars committing acts of meta vandalism throughout, and it's both an ideal stepping stone and a fun read no matter how long you've been reading ...more
Michele
I saw a doughnut machine at The City Museum in Saint Louis this spring that instantly whisked me into warm memories of this book--memories that belong to childhood, crisp as the donuts bubbling and swirling in the small vat, sweet as the powdered sugar, creamy on my tongue. Who wouldn't want to bestow this memory on their child? Who wouldn't want to return to it in adulthood? That's the test of a good book.
Katrina Burchett
The author of Homer Price, Robert McCloskey, has written six tales for readers to enjoy:

THE CASE OF THE SENSATIONAL SCENT: Homer catches a group of robbers with the help of his pet skunk, Aroma.
THE CASE OF THE COSMIC COMIC: Homer's friend, Freddy, learns what Homer already knows about comic book characters.
THE DOUGHNUTS: Homer can't stop his Uncle Ulysses doughnut machine! Now there are way too many doughnuts, and a lost bracelet cooked inside one of them. Let the eating begin!
MYSTERY YARN:
Eyehavenofilter
I don't know of many people who have actually had a pet skunk but my brother was one if them..Euphemism was her name....she was de-stunk.. If you will... So this story was especially personal to me. Homer and his little pal, his pet skunk solve crimes and run amok up in his small home town in six short stories... What a fun time... This book was for me to read!
Suzanne
The best thing about this book is the strangeness! On the surface, this appears to be tales of a boy growing up in a small town, but every chapter has something a little weird going on, in a wholesome, aboveboard, "what do you mean, something is strange?" kind of way. As a young reader, I loved catching onto ideas not explicitly stated.
Orinoco Womble (tidy bag and all)
The three stars is from the adult me. The child me read this book several times, chiefly for the donut-maker story. I found the silly sheriff with his constant spoonerisms annoying even at age 8, but I loved the illustrations.

Set in smalltown USA during the war years, one thing that struck me is how very much things have changed. In Homer's world, school doesn't start until well into autumn (after the harvest, duh), TV is still a dream for small town people, and Homer builds radio sets for fun.
John
This charming book was one of my favorites as a young boy.
Abigail Larsen
If you haven’t met Homer Price, you’re missing out on some quality, good-ole-days story telling. Homer is the optimistic young citizen of Centerburg, a quaint town bustling with entertaining adventures, all of which Homer seems to end up in the middle of. Whether it’s trying to get his uncle’s automatic donut machine to stop cranking out donuts, or tracking down the criminals who stole a suitcase full of aftershave lotion, Homer has plenty to keep him busy. Through Robert McCloskey’s droll voice ...more
Nicola Mansfield
This is an episodic children's book, typical of the time period in which it was written. There is no plot running through the story but instead each chapter (there are 6) describes an adventure of Homer's. Homer's life in the 1940s is one of freedom and childhood naivete. His escapades border on the outlandish and that makes them all that much more fun, but a little less believable. I've read this book three times now and I never get tired of it. I love the episode where the suburb is built with ...more
Scott
I read this over and over when I was just a wee bairn. Now, about 40 years later, I picked it up again. The stories are still delightful and funny, told in an engaging, childlike manner. They are everything I remember.

But wait, there's more. Where did all that social satire come from? I don't remember that being there when I was nine. "The Case of the Cosmic Comic" is dark, showing the shattering of a young boy's dream of his hero. "Wheels of Progress" is still as pointed a commentary on the dem
Mary Lou
As a child, mY brother brought this home from the library and I could hardly wait to get my hands on it. It was every bit the adventure I had hoped it would be. I wanted to live in Henry's world. Great read for all ages!
Edel
This was a delightful story about Homer Price and his town of Centerburg . I had never heard about this book before over on my side of the pond, but a friend suggested this to me thinking it would be my type of book , and Lesley you were right!
Homer is a young boy who likes to make radios ,he is also very inquisitive ,and likes to know what is going on in his small town, and for a small town there is quite a bit of interesting things happening there. From bandits to pet skunks ,and a few too man
Paul
Thanks to Tom Nash for reminding me of the book that I loved as a child - the story about the doughnut machine has stuck with me all of these decades.
Ingrid
This book was written in 1943 and chronicles the adventures of Homer, a young boy living in a small town. In one chapter, Homer helps to arrest some thieves with the help of his pet skunk. My favorite chapter involves a doughnut machine that won't stop making doughnuts. This is a very sweet book that made me think of the Andy Griffith show. Life seemed to be so much simpler back in those days.
Alison
My dad used to read this book growing up as a boy in the 1950's. He read a chapter one day to my son, and we were instantly hooked. Good old-fashioned boy fun and adventures. They don't make books like this any more. Each chapter was so much fun to read with my boys!
Anjanette Barr
Just finished reading this aloud to my 4 year old. He loved it even though much of the nuances were over his head. He asked tons of questions and definitely got the gist and silliness of each story. We read it in 4 days!! I think I'll read it again in 2 or 3 years when it's more developmentally appropriate.
Lora
Loved it when I was a kid, loved it with my kids. Delightful stories and illustrations by Robert McCloskey, it is a priceless bit of Americana for me.
Allyson
This was one of three or four books that were lying around in my grandmother's house when I moved in with her as a child. The pile of books had been abandoned by her grown stepchildren. This one was the first one I read because it was such an intriguing cover (not the one pictured here). it showed the titular Homer admiring his job of defacing a marble bust of the Greek poet by the same name; he had written "Price" below the engraved name. It intrigued me because of the name being so old. I reme ...more
Dario Salcedo
Nov 26, 2013 Dario Salcedo rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: my friends
Robert McCloskey made an excellent job,because Homer when he doesn't go to class or playing with other boys he works in building radios,it's hobby, he has a workshop in a corner of his room.
when it's so very late he drinks milk and eat cookies, he lives in Centerburg, where you can win a $100 dollars by eating the doughnuts you want,i wish Centerburg exists, because they have doughnuts and i love doughnuts, in the book apears a picture of homer in a statue from Homer,the god too many years ago,
babyhippoface
Some books are decades old but still feel fresh; Charlotte's Web, for the most part, qualifies. And some books are decades old and they definitely feel decades old. That's Homer Price. It's not necessarily a bad thing, but I think it does limit the interest of today's young readers.

Homer is pretty much an average boy growing up in a average town. He's honest, smart, and a good kid. He likes to go fishing, build transistor radios, and help out at his uncle's donut shop.

The six short stories in t
Anna
The story of Homer Price and the donut machine is a classic that will be remembered by people of my generation forever. I love these old-fashioned stories of what childhood used to be like before computers, TVs, cell phones, and electronic games. I feel so sorry for the children of today who haven't experienced the rich life of the imagination and the extreme fun that the children of yesteryear created for themselves.
Jason
Homer Price is a kid that solves mysteries. I liked this book because I like mystery books. When I looked at the cover of the book I thought it was about doughnuts but really it's a mystery book. I liked how in every chapter something has to go wrong or someone is wrong. Like in chapter three how Homer puts doughnut batter in the doughnut machnie, but it wouldn't stop making doughnuts. Like in chapter five the sheriff thought that the person who came to town in an old car with a huge tarp over t ...more
Paige
Dec 21, 2012 Paige rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Children
Although this book was a children's classic, it is a good book to read when you are bored. Along with humor, the author, McCloskey, introduces a character named Homer, who resembles many other children. Quick- thinking and funny, Homer Price is just an ordinary kid who has a hobby of making radios! One of his adventures are of when he meets a skunk, which he treats like a puppy of his own. He names it Aroma (What a wierd name for a skunk!). The skunk is the reasons some theives were caught. He h ...more
Mommooshka
While the short stories in this volume are dated, it provided insight into another time and era of middle American life.

Gentle narration entertains while also enlightening readers. Probably best for early school age kids (Grad 1-3).

As long as the reader is forewarned that this is a story about how things used to be, it has value both as entertainment and education.
Jon
Somehow I missed this as a kid but have decided to read everything on Jack's reading and this was first up. It's a perfect book for boys. Not edgy, doesn't have a deep plot, just a fun book. Plus, it's a nice little cultural time capsule of early 1940's America. The inner 10yr old within me was happy that I'd finally taken the time to read this one.
nicole
Pretty much everything I remember about this book happens in Chapter 3: The Doughnuts. There's something so satisfying about it. About the machine, the word gadget, the customers filling paper sacks, the illustrations of the donuts forming towers all along the luncheonette counter, drawing the same round shape over and over again... ahh! after rereading it this morning, I thought I would die if I didn't have a donut. So I had a donut.

Homer pushed the button marked "Stop" and there was a little c
Kate
Published in the 1943, this reads like the narrator's lines in some 1960s sit-coms (the first episode of 'Bewitched' comes to my mind). The different writing style threw me at first, but as I became accustomed to it I found myself enjoying the exploits of Homer and the members of his small town.

There are lots of inferences. In particular, how a certain character wins a string-ball contest is not explained. The answer is in the story, but it requires a careful read. Background knowledge in Americ
Miss Terwilliger's cleverness 2 25 Jul 30, 2013 10:09AM
  • The Year of Miss Agnes
  • Little Pear
  • Mountain Born
  • Henry Reed, Inc.
  • Detectives in Togas
  • Greek Myths for Young Children
  • Henry Huggins (Henry Huggins, #1)
  • Usborne Time Traveler
  • Favorite Poems of Childhood
  • Archaeologists Dig for Clues
  • Castle Diary: The Journal of Tobias Burgess
  • Tut's Mummy: Lost...and Found
  • Red Sails to Capri
  • Understood Betsy
  • A Grain of Rice
  • George Muller: The Guardian of Bristol's Orphans (Christian Heroes: Then & Now)
  • Child's History of the World
John Robert McCloskey (September 15, 1914 – June 30, 2003) was an American writer and illustrator of children's books. He both wrote and illustrated eight picture books and won two Caldecott Medals from the American Library Association recognizing the year's best-illustrated picture book. Four of those eight books were set in Maine: Blueberries for Sal, One Morning in Maine, Time of Wonder, and Bu ...more
More about Robert McCloskey...
Make Way for Ducklings Blueberries for Sal One Morning in Maine Lentil Time of Wonder