The Loss of a Pet

The Loss of a Pet

3.58 of 5 stars 3.58  ·  rating details  ·  67 ratings  ·  17 reviews
Understanding helps heal the hurt when you lose a pet
A cherished pet gives you boundless, unconditional love and occupies a special place in your routine, your home, and your heart. When your pet dies, that warm, special place becomes a sad, empty space. This book helps you understand:
* The grieving process, including typical stages of grief and techniques for coping
* Gr...more
Published September 2nd 2005 by Howell Books (first published January 1st 1993)

Kim
I really was completely lost when my dearest Hannah passed away last summer. She was 11 1/2 years old and we had been companions since she was 10 weeks old. For the whole of her life we had only been apart for maybe 2 weeks in total. My life, my habits were totally wrapped up in Hannah - for good and for bad. When she succumbed to congestive heart failure much sooner than I thought she would leave me, I was devastated emotionally and spiritually. I didn't just lose a pet - I lost my whole way of...more
Dawn
This book has been a huge help to me as I mourn the loss of my cat due to cancer. It helped me to understand the grieving process and the stages of grief and loss. I have been having a particularly hard time dealing with the guilt of not catching her illness sooner, and this book has a chapter on guilt that helped me a lot. The author is a pet bereavement counselor. I recommend it for anyone who is dealing with the loss of a pet, or for anyone who has pets. I think reading it before illness occu...more
Melanie
I'm actually reading this now for a second time, after recently losing my cat to cancer. I've felt blindsided by the overwhelming flood of emotions I've been experiencing, and the wisdom in this book has helped me deal with the terrible feelings of loss, grief, and depression.
Ian Carpenter
I am super grateful for this book and want to take nothing from it's great usefulness of anyone grieving a pet. My partner and I needed this deeply. Just be warned it is endlessly, relentlessly repetitious. Sife himself practically points that out in his repeated "As I've said before"'s that dot every chapter for material that he's repeated mere paragraphs before.

The section on Religion and the Death of Pets is exceptional.

I'd recommend Going Home: Finding Peace when Pets Die by Jon Katz. But i...more
Julie
This is my second time reading this book, and as I read, I remembered how unhelpful it was for me in 2004. Nine years later, I'll modify that opinion by saying that chapter 17, "Some Practical Suggestions in Review", was helpful, although perhaps not worth the price of the book. Specifically, suggestion 2 got me choked up:

"2. Write a letter or will from your pet to yourself. Keep this as a permanent memory. You may be amazed at how much this reveals to you about yourself. Years later this will b...more
Lindsay
This little book was such a help to me. I feel comforted when I have the right words to express my feelings and that is what this book did for me; supplied me with the vocabulary to understand what I'm going through. I lost my Q two weeks ago and I still miss her terribly. He discusses how to deal with children in these circumstances and specifically addresses euthanasia. It's only 160 pages and he uses specific case studies to illustrate his points. I hope he can help you in your time of grievi...more
Cyndie
A thorough book on many elements of the grieving process for pets. It normalizes what you are feeling and gives advice on how to best handle the grieving process. The book even has sections on how to talk with children about the loss of a pet, and grieving when a pet is stolen or runs away. Also recommends reliable resources for those who can benefit from additional support.
Kate
Comforting reading about the stages of grief as they relate to pet bereavement. Oddly sweet photos of pet memorials of various kinds scattered through the text. Neither overly glurgey nor clinical, and religiously neutral without being dismissive of religion.
Kristin
Really hope he gets to the point -- dealing with loss of a pet-- soon. So far it's all platitudes and really rather patronizing.

I had to finally stop reading. There should be a better resource for people facing the death of a pet than this. Disappointed.
Susie
Didn't change my perspective on the grief I am experiencing, but it did reinforce the validity of some of the choices I've made since (ie, to take time off work) which is helpful.

Not sure much can help when you miss someone this much.
Briony
This was a very objective book. It would probably work great for someone who is researching the loss of a pet, especially if your looking for a case studies. But for those who have lost a pet, it just does not really connect.
Addicted2Jeter
Aug 26, 2009 Addicted2Jeter is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Note: Trying to read this book before my dog dies but it's hard to get through so I'll read a very little at a time at random times whenever I can.
Regan
Pretty clinical book that basically says you need to feel what you're feeling through the grief of losing a pet.
Sharyn L.
Very clinical.... It was okay, but I felt that I needed to read something else.
I recommend reading this before the inevitable. It was very informative.
Jenn
This book really helped me deal with the loss of my cat. Loved it.
Anna
May 18, 2013 Anna marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: loss-grieving, adults
Read someday to see if should be on "recommended" list.
Laura marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2014
Sheri
Sheri marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2014
Katie
Katie added it
Jun 14, 2014
Michele
Michele is currently reading it
May 12, 2014
Rebecca
Rebecca marked it as to-read
May 08, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
The Loss of a Pet: A Guide to Coping with the Grieving Process When a Pet Dies After Stroke: Enhancing Quality Of Life