Start by marking “What's Up, Duck?: A Book of Opposites” as Want to Read:
What's Up, Duck?: A Book of Opposites

What's Up, Duck?: A Book of Opposites (Duck & Goose)

A quacktastic springtime read! The stars of the bestselling Duck & Goose and Duck, Duck, Goose return in this board book for preschoolers, this time, to introduce basic opposites.

In this ALA-ALSC Notable Children's Book, Goose carries an oh-so-heavy log, while duck easily balances a light-as-a-feather feather. Thistle is one fast bird, but Goose is slooo-w. And when Du
Board book, 22 pages
Published January 8th 2008 by Schwartz & Wade

To ask other readers questions about What's Up, Duck?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about What's Up, Duck?

Mandy Jensen
Jun 04, 2017 Mandy Jensen rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture
two ducks who do the complete opposite of each other. One duck in clean one duck is dirty.
Kathryn
This is a book with pictures of opposites. I'd have to see a physical book to see if the illustration (which show the contraries) are large enough for a storytime.
Karen
Jul 24, 2013 Karen rated it it was amazing
I LOVE the original Duck and Goose book. The only reason I haven't yet bought it is because it is still a little long and a bit advanced for a two-(and-a-half)-year-old. So when I saw this book on the South Carolina Libraries 100 Picture Books for Preschool Children list, I thought it would make a great little board book to put in my son's Easter basket.

Before I bought the book, I did read some buyer's reviews about it and not all were positive. This is a book about opposites, so it is a concept
Jen B
Sep 10, 2008 Jen B rated it it was amazing
"What's Up Duck?" is by far the favorite in my two-year-old son's already vast book collection. This one has been solidly in the bedtime story rotation for a couple of months now. It's the perfect book for us to read together because my little guy can "read" it to me - he names the different opposites on each page and then proceeds to act them out for me; and, judging by the giggles it always elicits, he has a great time. We've moved on to some of the other books in the series as well (I think t ...more
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Me for Kids @ TeensReadToo.com

As a huge fan of Tad Hills and his Duck and Goose characters, WHAT'S UP, DUCK? was an absolute delight!

At only twenty-two sturdy board pages, this is a perfect first reader, but it's also a great book to read with your toddler.

Along with the typical opposites of up, down and slow, fast, there are also my favorites -- clean, dirty and heavy, light.

The illustrations are what make this book a winner, and the absolute perfection of Duck and Goose are not
Ms. Kelly
Feb 02, 2015 Ms. Kelly rated it it was amazing
This board book about opposites is illustrated in the classic Tad Hills style, which means I find it absolutely adorable. The small animals are identifiable and relatable for small children.

There is minimal text. The left spread will say and illustrate one word while the right will say and illustrate its opposite. The minimalist nature of those words combined with the expressiveness and surprising depth of the illustrations allows the reader (and the non-reading viewer) to make up their own stor
Lindsey
Oct 05, 2012 Lindsey rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books, baby
Tad Hills' illustrations absolutely raise this book beyond the typical opposites book. There's no story here, although there is plenty of description to work with in the pictures themselves. Duck & Goose demonstrate opposites in pairs on opposing pages.

While the pictures are great for younger toddlers, this is a concept better suited for older toddlers and preschoolers, who might have fun demonstrating some of the opposites themselves!
jacky
Aug 24, 2011 jacky rated it liked it
Shelves: lib-lew, board-books
A nice book of opposites with cute bird characters. Natalie asked to read it a few times by saying "duck book." She knows a few of the opposites pairs already from her Bert and Ernie opposites book, but some of the others were new, which I really liked. The set up was one word per page with the opposite on the facing page. I liked this simple presentations (as opposed to books with multiple opposite pairs on one page or a page spread).
Sonya Feher
What's Up, Duck? illustrates the concept of near and far, slow and fast, and all the standard opposites with evocative illustrations of cartoon ducks, goose, and a bluebird. We owned and enjoyed this book before we found Duck and Goose or Duck, Duck, Goose?. Now that we've read those and gotten to know the characters, this book of opposites is even more fun.
Roxanne Hsu Feldman
Apr 26, 2008 Roxanne Hsu Feldman rated it really liked it
Even though this is a simple concept book, there are quite a few unusual concepts presented, effectively, using a 2-dimensional, silent medium: Loud and Quiet; slow and fast; heavy and light. My favorite pairs due to their perfection in illustrations are front/back, near/far, heavy/light and awake/asleep.
Amanda Kerfeld
What's Up Duck? is a book all about opposites. There is one word per page for example, clean and then the next page says dirty. It is a great book to teach students what opposite means and showing examples of that. This book would be really beneficial for younger students when they are learning about opposites or just learning how to read.
Molly
Jan 14, 2009 Molly rated it it was amazing
For a book of opposites this is fabulous. It is simple there is not too much on the page, nothing to confuse a young child who is looking for the opposite. Tad Hill has a great skill for being able to capture expression in her characters. Birth+
Caralyn
Oct 09, 2010 Caralyn rated it it was amazing
its so long!!! (lol) literally, there's a word on each page!and there are about 6 pages. lol. well, i guess that is what you should expect out of a pre-school book!! but i absolutly love duck and goose!!! <3333
Asho
This is a simple little opposites concept book. My toddler loves ducks so I wasn't at all surprised when he picked this one out at the library. He has asked for it every night since bringing it home by pulling it out of the bin and shrieking "DUCK!" The illustrations are adorable.
Cheryl
Nov 02, 2009 Cheryl rated it it was amazing
My son just turned 2 & he loves this book. There is just one word per page, and it teaches opposites such as front/back, clean/dirty, etc. There are nine pairs of opposites in all. My son's favorite is the clean/dirty page!
Barbara
May 16, 2013 Barbara rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
I love Tad Hills books and this is no exception. This little board book is a great addition to family or pre-school shelves. It will definitely inspire parents and caretakers to have their little ones act out all the pictures in the book. Lots of fun!
Kristin Hamrock
This is a simple book that is great for teaching opposites. It has simple pictures that illustrate the opposites, and very young children will appreciate it very much.
Courtney Mekkes
Sep 04, 2012 Courtney Mekkes rated it it was ok
Shelves: silly-animal
Meant to read to infants... or developmentally delayed students.
Heather
Mar 05, 2013 Heather rated it really liked it
Wonderful pictures, simple stories, this book helped my oldest learn opposites quickly.
Jenny
Apr 29, 2009 Jenny rated it it was amazing
Shelves: board-books
Adorable pictures, cute story. I really fell in love with this book.
Saralyn
Jan 16, 2014 Saralyn rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
I love, love, love the Duck books. The illustrations are so cute and the books are really engaging for little kids. Loved it!
Ubalstecha
Jul 27, 2011 Ubalstecha rated it really liked it
Whimsical, bright illustrations illustrate the opposites in this book, My one year old loves it.
Megan B
Baby board book. Good for toddlers too, opposites. Up, down, near, far, loud, quiet, etc.
Michelle Brandstetter
Jan 26, 2013 Michelle Brandstetter rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-book
SL Skills - Print motivation, print awareness, & phonological awareness.
Mrs.Capuano
Nov 20, 2015 Mrs.Capuano rated it it was amazing
This is a short board book that shows duck exploring a bunch of opposite words. To the point, and very sweet.
Kathy
Apr 13, 2009 Kathy rated it it was amazing
Great board book to teach opposites. I love Duck & Goose books and this one is another great one!
Julie
Feb 11, 2014 Julie rated it liked it
My little son loves this book. He brings it home from the library every time.
Elizabeth
Jul 08, 2008 Elizabeth rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Parents of toddlers
Shelves: baby-toddler
A fun book for toddlers learning opposites. I was amazed when I read this book for only the second time and Catherine would yell out the opposite.
Mary
Jul 19, 2011 Mary rated it it was ok
Shelves: childrens-books
cute.
Michelle
Mar 12, 2010 Michelle rated it liked it
Shelves: children-books
Excellent illistrations
  • How Do Dinosaurs Learn Their Colors?
  • That's Not My Teddy
  • The I LOVE YOU Book
  • Cat's Colors
  • Ten Tiny Babies
  • Creature ABC
“Whenever I picture myself [as a child],” says Tad Hills, “I am doing art. I spent a lot of time on my own making things, drawing, and painting.” Hills was not consciously trying to become an artist, rather his motives were innocent and pure. “I liked making things,” he says.

As a graduate of Skidmore College in New York with a degree in art, Hills describes himself as the ultimate freelancer. He’s
More about Tad Hills...

Duck & Goose (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • Duck & Goose
  • Duck, Duck, Goose
  • Duck & Goose Find A Pumpkin
  • Duck & Goose, How Are You Feeling?
  • Duck & Goose, It's Time For Christmas!
  • Duck & Goose, 1, 2, 3
  • Duck & Goose, Here Comes the Easter Bunny!
  • Duck & Goose, Goose Needs a Hug