What's Up, Duck?: A Book of Opposites

What's Up, Duck?: A Book of Opposites (Duck & Goose)

4.04 of 5 stars 4.04  ·  rating details  ·  237 ratings  ·  35 reviews
Little siblings of Duck and Goose fans rejoice! The stars of the bestselling Duck & Goose and Duck, Duck, Goose return in this board book for preschoolers, this time, to introduce basic opposites. In this ALA-ALSC Notable Children's Book, Goose carries an oh-so-heavy log, while duck easily balances a light-as-a-feather feather. Thistle is one fast bird, but Goose is sl...more
Board Book, 22 pages
Published January 8th 2008 by Schwartz & Wade

To ask other readers questions about What's Up, Duck?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about What's Up, Duck?

Goodnight Moon by Margaret Wise BrownThe Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric CarleGreen Eggs and Ham by Dr. SeussMoo, Baa, La La La! by Sandra BoyntonLittle Blue Truck by Alice Schertle
Books for two-year-old children
43rd out of 158 books — 143 voters
We're Going on a Bear Hunt by Michael RosenThe Gruffalo by Julia DonaldsonIf You Give a Mouse a Cookie by Laura Joffe NumeroffThe Little Engine That Could by Watty PiperMoo, Baa, La La La! by Sandra Boynton
Tyler's Summer Reading List
25th out of 50 books — 3 voters

More lists with this book...

Karen
I LOVE the original Duck and Goose book. The only reason I haven't yet bought it is because it is still a little long and a bit advanced for a two-(and-a-half)-year-old. So when I saw this book on the South Carolina Libraries 100 Picture Books for Preschool Children list, I thought it would make a great little board book to put in my son's Easter basket.

Before I bought the book, I did read some buyer's reviews about it and not all were positive. This is a book about opposites, so it is a concept...more
Jen B
"What's Up Duck?" is by far the favorite in my two-year-old son's already vast book collection. This one has been solidly in the bedtime story rotation for a couple of months now. It's the perfect book for us to read together because my little guy can "read" it to me - he names the different opposites on each page and then proceeds to act them out for me; and, judging by the giggles it always elicits, he has a great time. We've moved on to some of the other books in the series as well (I think t...more
Rachel
Not a bad book for active reading with little ones.
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Me for Kids @ TeensReadToo.com

As a huge fan of Tad Hills and his Duck and Goose characters, WHAT'S UP, DUCK? was an absolute delight!

At only twenty-two sturdy board pages, this is a perfect first reader, but it's also a great book to read with your toddler.

Along with the typical opposites of up, down and slow, fast, there are also my favorites -- clean, dirty and heavy, light.

The illustrations are what make this book a winner, and the absolute perfection of Duck and Goose are not...more
Lindsey
Tad Hills' illustrations absolutely raise this book beyond the typical opposites book. There's no story here, although there is plenty of description to work with in the pictures themselves. Duck & Goose demonstrate opposites in pairs on opposing pages.

While the pictures are great for younger toddlers, this is a concept better suited for older toddlers and preschoolers, who might have fun demonstrating some of the opposites themselves!
jacky
A nice book of opposites with cute bird characters. Natalie asked to read it a few times by saying "duck book." She knows a few of the opposites pairs already from her Bert and Ernie opposites book, but some of the others were new, which I really liked. The set up was one word per page with the opposite on the facing page. I liked this simple presentations (as opposed to books with multiple opposite pairs on one page or a page spread).
Julie
My little son loves this book. He brings it home from the library every time.
Saralyn
I love, love, love the Duck books. The illustrations are so cute and the books are really engaging for little kids. Loved it!
Sonya Feher
What's Up, Duck? illustrates the concept of near and far, slow and fast, and all the standard opposites with evocative illustrations of cartoon ducks, goose, and a bluebird. We owned and enjoyed this book before we found Duck and Goose or Duck, Duck, Goose?. Now that we've read those and gotten to know the characters, this book of opposites is even more fun.
Amanda Kerfeld
What's Up Duck? is a book all about opposites. There is one word per page for example, clean and then the next page says dirty. It is a great book to teach students what opposite means and showing examples of that. This book would be really beneficial for younger students when they are learning about opposites or just learning how to read.
Roxanne Hsu Feldman
Even though this is a simple concept book, there are quite a few unusual concepts presented, effectively, using a 2-dimensional, silent medium: Loud and Quiet; slow and fast; heavy and light. My favorite pairs due to their perfection in illustrations are front/back, near/far, heavy/light and awake/asleep.
Asho
This is a simple little opposites concept book. My toddler loves ducks so I wasn't at all surprised when he picked this one out at the library. He has asked for it every night since bringing it home by pulling it out of the bin and shrieking "DUCK!" The illustrations are adorable.
Barbara
I love Tad Hills books and this is no exception. This little board book is a great addition to family or pre-school shelves. It will definitely inspire parents and caretakers to have their little ones act out all the pictures in the book. Lots of fun!
Molly
For a book of opposites this is fabulous. It is simple there is not too much on the page, nothing to confuse a young child who is looking for the opposite. Tad Hill has a great skill for being able to capture expression in her characters. Birth+
Cheryl
My son just turned 2 & he loves this book. There is just one word per page, and it teaches opposites such as front/back, clean/dirty, etc. There are nine pairs of opposites in all. My son's favorite is the clean/dirty page!
Caralyn
its so long!!! (lol) literally, there's a word on each page!and there are about 6 pages. lol. well, i guess that is what you should expect out of a pre-school book!! but i absolutly love duck and goose!!! <3333
Kristin Hamrock
This is a simple book that is great for teaching opposites. It has simple pictures that illustrate the opposites, and very young children will appreciate it very much.
Elizabeth
Jul 08, 2008 Elizabeth rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Parents of toddlers
Shelves: baby-toddler
A fun book for toddlers learning opposites. I was amazed when I read this book for only the second time and Catherine would yell out the opposite.
Stephanie
We read this at story time at the library. Great book and super cute illustrations. I am a sucker for cute ducks, though.
Erika
Oh the ducks! Gillian really loved the page where they all stand on top of each other to paint the sun and sky. Cute.
A Duck & Goose book of opposites; the illustrations are just so sweet. Poor little sad Goose. Love it!
Ubalstecha
Whimsical, bright illustrations illustrate the opposites in this book, My one year old loves it.
Inspired Kathy
Great board book to teach opposites. I love Duck & Goose books and this one is another great one!
Megan B
Baby board book. Good for toddlers too, opposites. Up, down, near, far, loud, quiet, etc.
Heather
Wonderful pictures, simple stories, this book helped my oldest learn opposites quickly.
Rob
The illustrations are great. But I wish there was a little more to it. Like sentences.
Michelle Brandstetter
SL Skills - Print motivation, print awareness, & phonological awareness.
Jenny
Adorable pictures, cute story. I really fell in love with this book.
Courtney Mekkes
Meant to read to infants... or developmentally delayed students.
Susan
Cute book but Alex isn't ready for opposites. Nice illustrations.
  • Gossie
  • How Do Dinosaurs Learn Their Colors?
  • Flip, Flap, Fly!: A Book for Babies Everywhere
  • On the Farm
  • The Wheels on the Bus
  • Creature ABC
  • Llama Llama Zippity-Zoom
“Whenever I picture myself [as a child],” says Tad Hills, “I am doing art. I spent a lot of time on my own making things, drawing, and painting.” Hills was not consciously trying to become an artist, rather his motives were innocent and pure. “I liked making things,” he says.

As a graduate of Skidmore College in New York with a degree in art, Hills describes himself as the ultimate freelancer. He’s...more
More about Tad Hills...
How Rocket Learned to Read Rocket Writes a Story Duck & Goose Duck & Goose Find A Pumpkin Duck, Duck, Goose