Start by marking “Spot Bakes a Cake” as Want to Read:
Spot Bakes a Cake
Preview

Spot Bakes a Cake (Spot the Dog)

3.68 of 5 stars 3.68  ·  rating details  ·  161 ratings  ·  19 reviews
Spot is planning a surprise for his dad's birthday -- he's going to bake a cake, with some help from his mom.Children will love lifting the flaps to see Spot create a very special birthday cake. A sure-fire hit with pre-schoolers. -- School Library Journal Eric Hills first book about Spot, Where's Spot?, was published in 1980. Since then, he has written over 40 books about ...more
Paperback
Published October 1st 1997 by Puffin (first published September 28th 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Spot Bakes a Cake, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Spot Bakes a Cake

Jack Kirby and the X-man
Another in the series of Spot books.

I borrowed the board book format from the library. While the pages may be more solid than the normal book, the flaps are the same flimsy construction. This meant that 3 out of the 10 flaps were missing – which does somewhat affect the plot (such that it is). X-man is now of an age that the flaps hold much interest – he spends his time lifting and closing the flap. The flimsy construction means that reading this book goes from being fun for all involved to a st
Allison Jenkinson
This is a great book. It has some funny parts as Spot bakes a cake for his dad's birthday with his friend a mouse helping. Easy to read. Great illustrations.
Bronwyn
As a child I loved these books, it gives me joy to read these to my son now. As Finn gets older it will be fun rediscovering old favorites through him.
Megan Sutherland
Spot wants to plan a special surprise for his dad's birthday. Spot works with his mother to make a very special birthday cake.
Tam
Meghan Douglas-Dowling
This Spot outing has none of the fun and whimsy of "Where's Spot?". It is a very literal examination of how to make a cake, with perfectly sensible and dull things lurking under the flaps. Perhaps an older child would appreciate the element of reality, but my fifteen month old son is simply bored by it. It seems like this was created merely to cash in on Spot's popularity and probably not inconsiderable ability to shift new merchandise. I'm glad I borrowed this from the library (for half a week) ...more
Lynley
One of the six-year-old's favourites. She's revisiting it now that she can read the words herself, and seems to be enjoying it as much as she did when she was three, if not more so. She was even inspired to make her own lift-the-flap book.

My only problem with it is that dogs can't eat chocolate, a fact I'm sure gets pointed out quite a lot.
Heidi
Simple story with the fun idea of the child making the cake. Nothing amazing or different, but kids will enjoy the simplicity. I always love Spot. Too cute of a dog and he reminds me of my little bro when he was a toddler. And this book is great for toddlers, especially in a lap-read. Too small and a bit young for a preschool storytime crowd, even though they would still enjoy a lap-read of this, too. Unless they are large books with large flaps, flap-books don't work well for me in storytime.
Simon
This book was a huge favourite of mine. I always wanted to eat sweet goods after it. I used to have ALL of these books and I read them a lot because I liked the pictures. When it became an animated thing, I loved it so much! I had the VHSs and watched them everyday. I don't know when I stopped or when I grew up from it, but this series has completely escaped my memory until just recently when I read the book: "1001 Children's Books you must read before you grow up".
Linda
The Fun with Spot series is about the daily activities of a puppy with all the characteristics of a preschool child. Little pop up features conceal the illustrations on each set of pages, adding to the fun, and the satisfactions inherent in accomplishing and giving are unspoken but evident.
jacky
Sadly, the copy we took out of the library had all the flaps torn out. It was still on okay read, but not as fun as it would have been. Natalie liked this because she has recently started to sing nursery rhymes about baking from story time as well as helping us cook.
Faz
My nephew loves spot! at the moment he is reading book after book. funny thing is hes always done by the time we get home from the library lol.
Betty Huber
An average book, but Spot is pretty cute (if not a little dim) and if you (mother) and son are baking a cake for son's father, it's right on point.
Anna
The dog is a very cute dog. Spot makes a cake for his dad. He and his mom make chocolate cake. It is very good. It's a very good book!
Deb
Brian Wagner thinks I haven't read this book. But I have.
Louis Cleary
it is quite good i like the food spot makes
Daniel
Cute and cuddly book that warms the heart.
Cameron Harris
my favourite book when I was young.
Trent Mayes
Best book ever :)
Teanna
Teanna added it
Apr 10, 2015
  • Ninjago, Vol. 4: Tomb of the Fangpyre
  • Big Sister Dora! (Dora the Explorer)
  • Amelia Bedelia's First Day of School
  • Hot Rod Hamster
  • Llama Llama Time to Share
  • Star Wars: What Is A Wookiee? (DK Readers)
  • Acorns Everywhere!
  • Bunnies on Ice
  • Shiver Me Letters: A Pirate ABC
  • Fly Guy and the Frankenfly (Fly Guy, #13)
  • Waking Dragons
  • Maisy Big, Maisy Small
  • Princess and the Frog (Disney Princess and the Frog: Limited Collector's Edition)
  • The Christmas Story
  • Aliens Love Underpants
  • The Berenstain Bears and the Big Road Race
  • Five Little Ducks
  • All the Awake Animals Are Almost Asleep
Eric Gordon Hill OBE was a popular author and illustrator of children's picture books, best known for his character Spot the Dog. His works have been widely praised for their contributions to child literacy. He was appointed Officer of the Order of the British Empire (OBE) in the 2008 New Year Honours.
More about Eric Hill...

Spot the Dog (1 - 10 of 162 books)
  • Where's Spot? (Picture Puffin - Lift-the-flap book)
  • Spot Goes to School (color)
  • Spot Goes On Holiday
  • Spot Visits His Grandparents
  • Spot Goes to the Farm
  • Spot Loves His Daddy
  • Spot's Birthday Party
  • Good Night Spot
  • Spot Goes to the Beach (color)
  • Spot Loves His Mum
Where's Spot? (Picture Puffin - Lift-the-flap book) Spot Goes to the Farm Spot Goes to School (color) Spot Loves His Daddy Spot's Birthday Party