Romance

Romance (87th Precinct #47)

3.69 of 5 stars 3.69  ·  rating details  ·  382 ratings  ·  21 reviews
It's not a mystery, it's a story of survival and triumph. That's what some people say about Romance, a would-be hit play about an actress pursued by a knife-wielding stalker. But isn't it romantic! Before the show can open, the leading lady is really attacked, outside the theater. And before the detectives of the 87th can solve that crime, the same actress is stabbed again...more
Published April 14th 1995 by Grand Central Publishing (first published 1995)

Tony Gleeson
Okay, let me get this straight. This novel is called "Romance." It's about a redheaded actress being stalked by a killer. It's also about a play called "Romance" that's about a redheaded actress being stalked by a killer. The play within the book is also about a play... called "Romance".... which stars the actress who is played by the actress being stalked by a killer in the book. I hope everybody is following that. McBain obviously had a great time messing with the reader's mind. There are some...more
Skip
Not one of his better ones. A play called Romance is being produced in which a character is pursued by a knife-wielding stranger, and then the actress is stabbed in an alley. Attack or publicity stunt? Then she is actually killed. The 87th Precinct gets to work, with the help of Fat Ollie Weeks. Meanwhile, Bert Kling continues to pursue Sharyn Cooke, a black cop-surgeon, with both wondering about the consequences of dating across races. More romance.
Matt
Somehow for however mystery novels I read, I've somehow managed to miss reading some of the major authors of the modern manifestation of the form. So I found this one at a used bookstore and thought this was my chance.

And it was okay-- it did feel a lot like an episode of Law and Order, especially from the early years with Lenny, in the way it has a constant view of NYers as being kind of crazy, but crazy lovable. And like an episode of Law and Order, the narrative mostly lacks the sense of mome...more
Marti
after evan hunter, otherwise known as ed mcbain, died, i decided to start collecting all of his books that i could, since i enjoy them so well. in this particular book we learn how bert kling, a white detective, first meets deputy chief surgeon sharyn cooke, a black woman. there are also several murders involving some cast members from a play in isola, the city patterned after manhattan.

good fun, and reading which moves you right along.
Alberto
3,5 stars. Not one of the best 87th precinct novels. I was more interested in the Detective Bert Kling's love affair side story than in the crime plot. Anyway, there were some brilliant dialogues as usual.
Susan Mangigian
I love all of the books from the 87th precinct! I've read a lot of them and can't remember the titles, so I may be forced to read them all again. They are quirky and humorous and often very touching.
Jerry
We decided to try one more McBain after a disappointing first reading of his 45th novel in the 87th Precinct stories, “Mischief.” We likened that story to pulp fiction mysteries of 50 years ago, but wondered if “Romance”, 47th in the 55-book set, might be different. Alas, we still failed to find much intrigue or entertainment in the story, although a budding bi-racial romance between the leading detective (Kling) and another cop/surgeon provided some interesting (though dated, circa 1995) discus...more
LJ
ROMANCE - Okay
McBain, Ed - 47th in the 87th Precinct series

An actress in a play about an actress who gets stabbed is stabbed. Her superficial wound draws little blood but enough media attention, perhaps, to save the drama from the opening-night closing its director expects. The play is titled Romance, a subject very much the focus of Kling's personal life as he doggedly pursues another cop-black surgeon, Sharyn Cooke. Next, a cast member is fatally stabbed and another member of the company dies...more
Andy
I love Ed McBain's mysteries and this one doesn't disappoint. It is about a play about a murder mystery and true life events start to mimic the play. It is different from McBain's other books and I enjoyed it. I agree with other reviewer's it is hard to keep all the other titles of this author's books straight but they are timeless and always interesting in portraying a fictional police detective squad that is really close to real life it seems.
Cathy
Another good one in Ed McBain's 87th precinct series. This one has some "play within a play" aspects dealing with the cast and crew of a very bad play called "Romance". In addition to the crimes being investigated, we see Detective Bert Kling's new relationship move along. Bert's one of my favorites and has had very bad luck in the past, so this was a good storyline. If you like the series, you'll like this one.
Lindsay
Well, Grace was definitely correct on Ed McBain books. If you like a straight-forward cop/crime story, these books are for you. If you like a bit of intrigue or mystery, you should continue looking in the bookstore because these books will not provide you with either of those. It was OK, but I certainly wouldn't list it among books I recommend to others.
Lynette Barfield
Another enjoyable 87th precinct adventure. An actress gets stabbed just like the script calls for and a detective starts a relationship. Just a really good book for a change of pace.
Rebekkila
Nov 22, 2011 Rebekkila marked it as to-read
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
Teresa
Ed McBain is the best writer of dialogue for my taste. I feel like I am listening to real people as he proceeds with the story.
Joan
I enjoyed this book more as a writer than as a reader. McBain's writing style is fascinating to me. This plot is very unusual.
Rose
If you want to read a very, very unconvincing sex scene between two guys...what can I say? This book is for you.
Joyce
Not one of my favorites, still interesting, just not a page turner adventure.
Randy
An actress' life is threatened.
Patricia
Patricia is currently reading it
Jul 20, 2014
Tim Devaney
Tim Devaney marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2014
Scott Simpson
Scott Simpson marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2014
Shane Dougall
Shane Dougall marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2014
  • Candyland
  • The Importance of Being Ernestine (Ellie Haskell Mystery, #11)
  • McNally's Alibi
  • Suspicion of Betrayal (Gail Connor and Anthony Quintana #4)
  • Fugitive Colors (Sigrid Harald Mysteries #8)
  • Even the Wicked (Matthew Scudder #13)
  • McNally's Trial
  • Apaches: A Novel of Suspense
  • The Golden Orange
  • The Bishop in the West Wing (Blackie Ryan, #14)
  • Abnormal Psychology
  • Both Ends of the Night (Sharon McCone, #18)
  • The Road to San Giovanni
  • Śrī Īśopaniṣad
  • The Experiment
  • Yankee Doodle Dead (Death on Demand, #10)
Ed McBain is a pseudonym of Evan Hunter, who was born and raised as Salvatore Lombino in New York City, living in East Harlem until the age of 12, at which point his family moved to the Bronx. He attended Olinville Junior High School, then Evander Childs High School, before winning an Art Students League scholarship. Later, he was admitted as an art student at Cooper Union.

Hunter served in the Nav...more
More about Ed McBain...
Cop Hater (87th Precinct #1) Ice (87th Precinct, #36) The Mugger (87th Precinct #2) Let's Hear It For The Deaf Man (87th Precinct, #27) Lady Killer (87th Precinct #8)