Start by marking “Romance (87th Precinct, #47)” as Want to Read:
Romance (87th Precinct, #47)

Romance (87th Precinct #47)

It's not a mystery, it's a story of survival and triumph. That's what some people say about Romance, a would-be hit play about an actress pursued by a knife-wielding stalker. But isn't it romantic! Before the show can open, the leading lady is really attacked, outside the theater. And before the detectives of the 87th can solve that crime, the same actress is stabbed again ...more
Published April 14th 1995 by Grand Central Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Romance, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Romance

James Thane
The 47th entry in the 87th Precinct series begins with Detective Bert Kling standing at a phone kiosk in the pouring rain, getting soaking wet making a call that he didn't want to make from the station house. He's calling a woman to ask her for a date and doesn't want to make the call in front of any of his colleagues, especially if the woman turns him down. He'd be nervous enough as it is, but the woman he's calling, Sharyn Cooke, is also a cop. And she outranks him. And she's black. Kling is a ...more
Tony Gleeson
Aug 07, 2009 Tony Gleeson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Okay, let me get this straight. This novel is called "Romance." It's about a redheaded actress being stalked by a killer. It's also about a play called "Romance" that's about a redheaded actress being stalked by a killer. The play within the book is also about a play... called "Romance".... which stars the actress who is played by the actress being stalked by a killer in the book. I hope everybody is following that. McBain obviously had a great time messing with the reader's mind. There are some ...more
Skip
May 17, 2014 Skip rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime-detective
Not one of his better ones. A play called Romance is being produced in which a character is pursued by a knife-wielding stranger, and then the actress is stabbed in an alley. Attack or publicity stunt? Then she is actually killed. The 87th Precinct gets to work, with the help of Fat Ollie Weeks. Meanwhile, Bert Kling continues to pursue Sharyn Cooke, a black cop-surgeon, with both wondering about the consequences of dating across races. More romance.
Marti
Sep 18, 2009 Marti rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
after evan hunter, otherwise known as ed mcbain, died, i decided to start collecting all of his books that i could, since i enjoy them so well. in this particular book we learn how bert kling, a white detective, first meets deputy chief surgeon sharyn cooke, a black woman. there are also several murders involving some cast members from a play in isola, the city patterned after manhattan.

good fun, and reading which moves you right along.
Susan Mangigian
Aug 16, 2008 Susan Mangigian rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love all of the books from the 87th precinct! I've read a lot of them and can't remember the titles, so I may be forced to read them all again. They are quirky and humorous and often very touching.
LaBibliodeCaro
« C’est plutôt la vie qui imite l’art, non ? » fait observer la costumière à l’inspecteur Kling.

Et de fait, Steve Carella et ses collègues du 87e District peuvent se poser la question quand la vedette d’une pièce de théâtre intitulée Romance se fait poignarder à la sortie du théâtre, exactement comme le personnage qu’elle incarne sur scène.

Coup du pub ou véritable agression ? Carella s’interroge encore quand se produit… un coup de théâtre ! A peine sortie de l’hôpital, la comédienne est retrouvé
Matt
May 29, 2014 Matt rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Somehow for however mystery novels I read, I've somehow managed to miss reading some of the major authors of the modern manifestation of the form. So I found this one at a used bookstore and thought this was my chance.

And it was okay-- it did feel a lot like an episode of Law and Order, especially from the early years with Lenny, in the way it has a constant view of NYers as being kind of crazy, but crazy lovable. And like an episode of Law and Order, the narrative mostly lacks the sense of mome
Jerry
Nov 09, 2012 Jerry rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
We decided to try one more McBain after a disappointing first reading of his 45th novel in the 87th Precinct stories, “Mischief.” We likened that story to pulp fiction mysteries of 50 years ago, but wondered if “Romance”, 47th in the 55-book set, might be different. Alas, we still failed to find much intrigue or entertainment in the story, although a budding bi-racial romance between the leading detective (Kling) and another cop/surgeon provided some interesting (though dated, circa 1995) discus ...more
LJ
ROMANCE - Okay
McBain, Ed - 47th in the 87th Precinct series

An actress in a play about an actress who gets stabbed is stabbed. Her superficial wound draws little blood but enough media attention, perhaps, to save the drama from the opening-night closing its director expects. The play is titled Romance, a subject very much the focus of Kling's personal life as he doggedly pursues another cop-black surgeon, Sharyn Cooke. Next, a cast member is fatally stabbed and another member of the company dies
Cathy
Oct 25, 2012 Cathy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, series, police
Another good one in Ed McBain's 87th precinct series. This one has some "play within a play" aspects dealing with the cast and crew of a very bad play called "Romance". In addition to the crimes being investigated, we see Detective Bert Kling's new relationship move along. Bert's one of my favorites and has had very bad luck in the past, so this was a good storyline. If you like the series, you'll like this one.
Andy Dale
Nov 17, 2013 Andy Dale rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love Ed McBain's mysteries and this one doesn't disappoint. It is about a play about a murder mystery and true life events start to mimic the play. It is different from McBain's other books and I enjoyed it. I agree with other reviewer's it is hard to keep all the other titles of this author's books straight but they are timeless and always interesting in portraying a fictional police detective squad that is really close to real life it seems.
Benjamin Elliott
This book had the regular cop drama in it, but all of the side stories seemed to be very reactionary. The racial tensions drawn from what was going on in the news at the time he was writing this novel. Then there's the playwright, who has to be based upon either the author's own experience or someone he was made aware of.
Neither of those two aspects made the main story any better, but it was alright.
Lindsay
Mar 31, 2008 Lindsay rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Well, Grace was definitely correct on Ed McBain books. If you like a straight-forward cop/crime story, these books are for you. If you like a bit of intrigue or mystery, you should continue looking in the bookstore because these books will not provide you with either of those. It was OK, but I certainly wouldn't list it among books I recommend to others.
Pamela
Aug 25, 2015 Pamela rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book for those loving shows like Hill Street Blues. We get police procedure along with the personal lives of the detectives involved. This one is about a play called "Romance" in which, the actors start sharing the same fates as the characters of the play. That is they start ending up dead. It's a good book with a certain amount of humor.
suzybel57hotmail.ca
I really like all of the 87th Precinct novels. This one I found a bit confusing, but still appreciate the banter and humour. I also thought the end a bit abrupt. I hope to read all of Ed McBain's novels.
Kathy Davie
Aug 31, 2013 Jim Moffett rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
11-99
K
Jan 18, 2015 K rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Classic McBain-- great police dialog and plot, combined with memorable characters.
Joan
Jun 27, 2010 Joan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book more as a writer than as a reader. McBain's writing style is fascinating to me. This plot is very unusual.
Lynette Barfield
Apr 15, 2013 Lynette Barfield rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another enjoyable 87th precinct adventure. An actress gets stabbed just like the script calls for and a detective starts a relationship. Just a really good book for a change of pace.
LInda L
Apr 04, 2013 LInda L rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great 87th precinct book -- story not geared to any detective in particular, but does go into the romance between Sharyn and Bert Kling. Good story.
Brenda
May 30, 2016 Brenda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
No surprise

Ed McBain never fails to totally please my reading of his 87th Precinct novels. Will definitely read another book very soon
Shirley Alvarez
Jan 17, 2016 Shirley Alvarez rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
ROMANCE

Another great book but where is 45 and46? I have searched Amazon. I read in order. These are so good I don't want to miss any.
Rebekkila
Nov 22, 2011 Rebekkila marked it as to-read
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
Sheldon Lehman
Feb 08, 2011 Sheldon Lehman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pretty good
Teresa
Jul 25, 2013 Teresa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery-thriller
Ed McBain is the best writer of dialogue for my taste. I feel like I am listening to real people as he proceeds with the story.
Rose
If you want to read a very, very unconvincing sex scene between two guys...what can I say? This book is for you.
Joyce
Jul 31, 2013 Joyce rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not one of my favorites, still interesting, just not a page turner adventure.
Maynard
Feb 23, 2014 Maynard rated it liked it
Shelves: murder-mystery
I need a guilty pleasure and a quick read occasionally, and Ed McBain (Evan Hunter) has been my go-to author for 40 years.
Raymond
Raymond rated it liked it
Aug 13, 2013
  • Candyland
  • Suspicion of Betrayal (Gail Connor and Anthony Quintana #4)
  • A Dismal Thing to Do
  • An Imperfect Spy (A Kate Fansler Mystery #11)
  • The Importance of Being Ernestine (Ellie Haskell Mystery, #10)
  • Multicultural Education in a Pluralistic Society
  • Fugitive Colors (Sigrid Harald, #8)
  • Poetry, Tales and Selected Essays
  • Adolescence
  • A Student's Introduction to English Grammar
  • The Golden Orange
  • The Bishop in the West Wing (Blackie Ryan, #14)
  • Apaches
  • McNally's Alibi (Archy McNally, #11)
  • To Understand: New Horizons in Reading Comprehension
  • The Sexual Life of Savages
  • The American Heritage Dictionary of Indo-European Roots
  • Best European Fiction 2012
"Ed McBain" is one of the pen names of American author and screenwriter Salvatore Albert Lombino (1926 – 2005), who legally adopted the name Evan Hunter in 1952. While successful and well known as Evan Hunter, he was even better known as Ed McBain, a name he used for most of his crime fiction, beginning in 1956.

He also used the pen names John Abbott, Curt Cannon, Hunt Collins, Ezra Hannon, Dean Hu
More about Ed McBain...

87th Precinct (1 - 10 of 55 books)
  • Cop Hater (87th Precinct, #1)
  • The Mugger (87th Precinct, #2)
  • The Pusher (87th Precinct, #3)
  • The Con Man (87th Precinct, #4)
  • Killer's Choice (87th Precinct, #5)
  • Killer's Payoff (87th Precinct, #6)
  • Killer's Wedge (87th Precinct, #7)
  • Lady Killer (87th Precinct, #8)
  • 'Til Death (87th Precinct, #9)
  • King's Ransom (87th Precinct, #10)