Start by marking “There Was A Little Girl (Matthew Hope, #11)” as Want to Read:
There Was A Little Girl (Matthew Hope, #11)

There Was A Little Girl (Matthew Hope #11)

Matthew Hope has been shot - taking two bullets outside a bar in Calusa's seediest neighborhood. With Matthew in a postsurgery semicoma, the men and women who know him best go to the places he went, talk to the people he talked to, and desperately try to find out who wanted Matthew Hope dead. The sexy, tough investigator called Toots Kiley, the world-weary cop named Morris ...more
Published October 1st 1995 by Grand Central Publishing (first published September 7th 1994)

To ask other readers questions about There Was A Little Girl, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about There Was A Little Girl

While Matthew is in a coma due to a shot gun, the police investigates an apparent suicide of a circus' artist.

4* The House That Jack Built (Matthew Hope, #8)
4* Mary, Mary (Matthew Hope, #10)
4* There Was A Little Girl (Matthew Hope, #11)
TR Goldilocks (Matthew Hope, #1)
TR Rumpelstiltskin (Matthew Hope, #2)
TR Beauty And The Beast (Matthew Hope, #3)
TR Jack And The Beanstalk (Matthew Hope, #4)
TR Snow White and Rose Red (Matthew Hope, #5)
TR Cinderella (Matthew Hope, #6)
TR Puss in Boots (Matthe
Marti
Sep 30, 2011 Marti rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Once again, this book is from the Matthew Hope series, which means that while it was written by Ed McBain, it isn't, in my estimation as good as the 87th Precinct series. Matthew Hope is in a coma--doesn't look good for him, so others have to pick up the clues as to what is going on in and out of the circus. Circuses tend to attract different, and sometimes weird characters. The question is: did Willa Winkie kill herself? and what happened to Peter Torrance? Morris Bloom and Warren Chambers look ...more
Mike
Feb 28, 2016 Mike rated it really liked it
For a book where the main character in present day is unconscious...this was a hell of a read. The "story" covers crimes over many decades, mostly tied to a circus but spreading into racial politics, land dealings, inheritance specifics and little people....with the best part being the titular girl wasn't even a girl. Lawyers, Drugs and Money indeed.

The story is pretty great, but one unique and real fun element was McBain's use of time in telling almost all elements - he would in mid-sentence fl
Steve
Apr 27, 2009 Steve rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well written, and non-pretensious detective novel. The plot is fairly interesting and the dialog is done well. I think this story is similar to what makes its way onto TV these days.

The story is told almost passively from the eyes of the primary character (who is in a coma) and the eyes of several detectives trying to figure out how he got that way.
Sylvia
Aug 14, 2011 Sylvia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love it! I've read plenty 87th precinct novels with Steve Carella.so i was a bit reluctant to read something different.it was refreshing...Ed's a master!he does this with so much ease! But i love happy endings so the open end just depressed me..
Cashmrock
Jan 08, 2014 Cashmrock rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Long time reader of Ed McBain and this was an interesting story with multiple characters well described. Plot was developed well and kept my interest. Will look out for more "Matthew Hope" novels.
Lee
Matthew Hope has been hired to prove that a death that was ruled a suicide three years previously was in reality a murder. Attorney Hope's research finds some very strange connections. He sets up a meeting with Jeannie Byrd, an acquaintance of the deceased. They were to meet at a local restaurant and with Ms Byrd extremely late for this meeting, Matthew goes outside to see if she's anywhere nearby. What he finds instead is someone trying to murder him and and very nearly succeeding. The story fo ...more
K
Dec 26, 2015 K rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ed McBain is a talented author and few do police/investigative dialogue better. That said, I have to say this was somewhat disappointing for me. The plot was fine, but I found the story disjointed and difficult to follow; I'd get into the "flow" and suddenly find myself confused about what/who was being featured as the story suddenly shifted.
The storyline is unique in that the protagonist (in theory, anyway) is in a semi-comatose state for the majority of the book, while others retrace his steps
Jeff Dickison
May 10, 2015 Jeff Dickison rated it really liked it
Good Matthew Hope tale. Matthew is shot outside a bar in the bad part of town and is in a coma. His friends and co-workers try to solve the case for him. A very good plot with quite a few surprises make this interesting. However, the main point of the story is unresolved at the end, presumably to be taken up in the next entry to the series. Well done. Recommended.
Phillip III
Dec 15, 2015 Phillip III rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read this a long time ago. Long before Goodreads. And wanted to add it to my "Read" collection. Best I recall -- Loved it!
Cathy Jarvis
Mar 17, 2016 Cathy Jarvis rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was not an 87th precinct novel - still an excellent book. I thoroughly enjoy McBain's writing.
Kim Dempsey
This was a good fast read although I found it rather hard to follow. There were so many characters to follow. It was reminding me a little of Water for Elephants with the circus plot involved.
Claudia Dettlinger
It was just suspenseful enough to keep me on the edge of my seat.
Rita
Aug 08, 2015 Rita rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love the idea of this book! The story is very involved or maybe it should have been more involved? There's a lot given that was 'draggy', words of description, mind rambling, etc that just was not needed. It took away from the path of the story. There were events that were presented that should have been better explained. I hated the ending. It felt like it had no ending.
Ed
Oct 20, 2013 Ed rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013
This book has a nice mix of two mysteries to solve, an old case and a new one. Both were interesting enough and of course they end up tying in together. Lots of different threads and aspects to consider with there being no obvious solutions to the puzzle. A few nice subtle clues to the mystery that I appreciated.
David Ward
Sep 20, 2015 David Ward rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mysteries, fiction
There Was A Little Girl (Matthew Hope #11) by Ed McBain (Warner Books 1994) (Fiction - Mystery). Attorney Matthew Hope is in a coma after being shot in the chest. It's up to his friends to figure out why. Snore. DNF. MY rating: 2/10, finished 2004.
Athena
Jul 28, 2010 Athena rated it liked it
I think I mostly liked this book for the circus folk. I've tried to read McBain since then and couldn't get into it.
Lénia
Oct 10, 2012 Lénia rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012
A história vale 4 estrelas, mas esta edição está cheia de erros de tradução e gramática, daí as 3 estralas atribuídas.
Hendo
Jan 26, 2008 Hendo rated it it was amazing
Carnies and drugs. What more could you ask for?
Kimmie
Mar 13, 2016 Kimmie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
They are predictable but enjoyable.
Chioma Uzoma
Aug 17, 2011 Chioma Uzoma rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Different but nice...enjoyed it!
Chioma Uzoma
Jun 16, 2011 Chioma Uzoma rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good detective novel....enjoyed it!
Jim Moffett
Aug 31, 2013 Jim Moffett rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
12-99
Peter Graham
Peter Graham rated it really liked it
Sep 28, 2016
Nicole
Nicole marked it as to-read
Sep 27, 2016
Judy
Judy rated it really liked it
Sep 21, 2016
Doreen
Doreen added it
Sep 19, 2016
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2016
  • Candyland
  • Motor City Blue (Amos Walker, #1)
  • Some Must Watch
  • The Price of Silence
  • The Case of the Silent Partner
  • The Man Who Could Work Miracles
  • Tampa Burn (Doc Ford Mystery, #11)
  • The Death of an Ardent Bibliophile (Peter McGarr, #11)
  • Bad Debts (Jack Irish, #1)
  • Fear of the Dark (Fearless Jones, #3)
  • Ties of Blood and Silver (Metsada Mercenary Corps, #1)
  • The Frost Fair (Christopher Redmayne, #4)
  • The Best American Mystery Stories 2002
  • Uncle John's Presents: The Book of the Dumb
  • Backstabber (Hitchcock Sewell Mysteries, #5)
  • Midnight Guardians (Max Freeman, #6)
  • The Rock Hole
  • Random Acts
Excerpted from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ed_McBain

"Ed McBain" (October 15, 1926 – July 6, 2005) is one of the pen names of an American author and screenwriter. Born Salvatore Albert Lombino, he legally adopted the name Evan Hunter in 1952. While successful and well known as Evan Hunter, he was even better known as Ed McBain, a name he used for most of his crime fiction, beginning in 1956. He a
More about Ed McBain...

Matthew Hope (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • Goldilocks (Matthew Hope, #1)
  • Rumpelstiltskin (Matthew Hope, #2)
  • Beauty And The Beast (Matthew Hope, #3)
  • Jack And The Beanstalk (Matthew Hope, #4)
  • Snow White and Rose Red
  • Cinderella (Matthew Hope, #6)
  • Puss in Boots
  • The House That Jack Built (Matthew Hope, #8)
  • Three Blind Mice