Start by marking “There Was A Little Girl (Matthew Hope, #11)” as Want to Read:
There Was A Little Girl (Matthew Hope, #11)

There Was A Little Girl (Matthew Hope #11)

3.69 of 5 stars 3.69  ·  rating details  ·  376 ratings  ·  18 reviews
Matthew Hope has been shot - taking two bullets outside a bar in Calusa's seediest neighborhood. With Matthew in a postsurgery semicoma, the men and women who know him best go to the places he went, talk to the people he talked to, and desperately try to find out who wanted Matthew Hope dead. The sexy, tough investigator called Toots Kiley, the world-weary cop named Morris ...more
Published October 1st 1995 by Grand Central Publishing (first published September 7th 1994)

To ask other readers questions about There Was A Little Girl, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about There Was A Little Girl

Marti
Once again, this book is from the Matthew Hope series, which means that while it was written by Ed McBain, it isn't, in my estimation as good as the 87th Precinct series. Matthew Hope is in a coma--doesn't look good for him, so others have to pick up the clues as to what is going on in and out of the circus. Circuses tend to attract different, and sometimes weird characters. The question is: did Willa Winkie kill herself? and what happened to Peter Torrance? Morris Bloom and Warren Chambers look ...more
Steve
Well written, and non-pretensious detective novel. The plot is fairly interesting and the dialog is done well. I think this story is similar to what makes its way onto TV these days.

The story is told almost passively from the eyes of the primary character (who is in a coma) and the eyes of several detectives trying to figure out how he got that way.
Sylvia
I love it! I've read plenty 87th precinct novels with Steve Carella.so i was a bit reluctant to read something different.it was refreshing...Ed's a master!he does this with so much ease! But i love happy endings so the open end just depressed me..
Cashmrock
Long time reader of Ed McBain and this was an interesting story with multiple characters well described. Plot was developed well and kept my interest. Will look out for more "Matthew Hope" novels.
Jeff Dickison
Good Matthew Hope tale. Matthew is shot outside a bar in the bad part of town and is in a coma. His friends and co-workers try to solve the case for him. A very good plot with quite a few surprises make this interesting. However, the main point of the story is unresolved at the end, presumably to be taken up in the next entry to the series. Well done. Recommended.
Kim Dempsey
This was a good fast read although I found it rather hard to follow. There were so many characters to follow. It was reminding me a little of Water for Elephants with the circus plot involved.
Rita
I love the idea of this book! The story is very involved or maybe it should have been more involved? There's a lot given that was 'draggy', words of description, mind rambling, etc that just was not needed. It took away from the path of the story. There were events that were presented that should have been better explained. I hated the ending. It felt like it had no ending.
Ed
This book has a nice mix of two mysteries to solve, an old case and a new one. Both were interesting enough and of course they end up tying in together. Lots of different threads and aspects to consider with there being no obvious solutions to the puzzle. A few nice subtle clues to the mystery that I appreciated.
David
There Was A Little Girl (Matthew Hope #11) by Ed McBain (Warner Books 1994) (Fiction - Mystery). Attorney Matthew Hope is in a coma after being shot in the chest. It's up to his friends to figure out why. Snore. DNF. MY rating: 2/10, finished 2004.
Athena
I think I mostly liked this book for the circus folk. I've tried to read McBain since then and couldn't get into it.
Lénia
A história vale 4 estrelas, mas esta edição está cheia de erros de tradução e gramática, daí as 3 estralas atribuídas.
Hendo
Carnies and drugs. What more could you ask for?
Chioma Uzoma
Different but nice...enjoyed it!
Chioma Uzoma
Good detective novel....enjoyed it!
Babete
( Era Uma Vez Uma Rapariga )
Herb Hastings
Herb Hastings is currently reading it
Sep 02, 2015
Lynnea added it
Jun 11, 2015
  • Candyland
  • Some Must Watch
  • Motor City Blue (Amos Walker, #1)
  • Fear of the Dark (Fearless Jones, #3)
  • The Case of the Silent Partner
  • Condition Black
  • The Best American Mystery Stories 2002
  • Joshua's Hammer
  • Tampa Burn
  • Little Wars
  • The Murderer Vine (Hard Case Crime #43)
  • Queer Eye for the Straight Guy : The Fab 5's Guide to Looking Better, Cooking Better, Dressing Better, Behaving Better, and Living Better
  • The Old Farmer's Almanac 2014
  • Backstabber (Hitchcock Sewell Mysteries, #5)
  • Private Sector (Sean Drummond, #4)
  • Karen's Home Run (Baby-Sitters Little Sister, #18)
  • The Death of an Irish Lover (Peter McGarr, #14)
  • The Spiral Labyrinth: A Tale Of Henghis Hapthorn (Book 2)
Ed McBain is a pseudonym of Evan Hunter, who was born and raised as Salvatore Lombino in New York City, living in East Harlem until the age of 12, at which point his family moved to the Bronx. He attended Olinville Junior High School, then Evander Childs High School, before winning an Art Students League scholarship. Later, he was admitted as an art student at Cooper Union.

Hunter served in the Nav
More about Ed McBain...

Matthew Hope (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • Goldilocks (Matthew Hope, #1)
  • Rumpelstiltskin (Matthew Hope, #2)
  • Beauty And The Beast (Matthew Hope, #3)
  • Jack And The Beanstalk (Matthew Hope, #4)
  • Snow White and Rose Red
  • Cinderella (Matthew Hope, #6)
  • Puss in Boots
  • The House That Jack Built (Matthew Hope, #8)
  • Three Blind Mice
  • Mary, Mary
Cop Hater (87th Precinct #1) Ice (87th Precinct, #36) The Mugger (87th Precinct #2) Let's Hear It For The Deaf Man (87th Precinct, #27) Lady Killer (87th Precinct #8)

“lot of money over” 0 likes