Start by marking “Cinderella (Matthew Hope, #6)” as Want to Read:
Cinderella (Matthew Hope, #6)

Cinderella (Matthew Hope #6)

Private detective Otto Samalson sees the tail—a black Toronado he can’t shake. One dark window rolls down, exposing the barrel of a gun, and the detective is dead.

Otto had already known his days were numbered and said as much to his friend, attorney Matthew Hope. Having hired Otto to watch a cheating husband for a client, Matthew is now left with only Otto’s tape recorder,

253 pages
Published by Droemer Knaur (first published January 1st 1986)

To ask other readers questions about Cinderella, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cinderella

Cathy DuPont
Nov 10, 2013 Cathy DuPont rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ahhh, Cinderella, another aptly named Matthew Hope series.

During the reading of this book, I've been occupied with other personal matters therefore don't feel like I devoted my entire attention to the book.

It was good as usual but my mind kept wandering and that certainly wasn't the book's fault.

For the sake of fairness then, I'm giving the book four stars when in my foggy mind it's a three. Benefit of the doubt, you know.

Not sure if it all wrapped up...all the loose ends that is, however that
Henrik
Jan 08, 2015 Henrik rated it liked it
Slow start but quite good the last third of the book. It was funny reading this again after, what?, 20 years?

Read the Danish translation.
Charles
Dec 28, 2008 Charles rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
It's not quite a 4 star but very close. The book started out kind of slow and was somewhat confusing, but it really got better toward the end of the first third and I ended up liking it a lot.
Lee
Number six in the fairy tale mysteries by Ed McBain carries three plot lines that tie together in the end. Interwoven in all is Matthew Hope who is rapidly becoming a criminal lawyer rather than dealing with civil matters. A private investigator and friend of Matthew has been hired to assist with one of Hope's cases and is murdered while working on this case. The death of Otto Samalson is now a very personal matter and Attorney Hope starts investigating on his own.
Carmen
Aug 08, 2010 Carmen rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A quick, easy read. Not terribly compelling, but I picked it up while on vacation and it was perfect for reading on the plane.

I found the chronology of events rather confusing. Even after re-reading several pages, I could never figure out a certain sequence of events but I didn't really care in the long run. The ending was rather weak, but again, this isn't Sherlock Holmes.
Hubjeanne
If this had been my first McBain novel, I don't know if I would have read the second one. Luckily, it was not my first so I will try again. There was nothing wrong with this one, it just didn't flow as smoothly or hold my interest like Three Blind Mice did. But I have faith in McBain and will move on to The Last Best Hope.
Fredrick Danysh
Aug 20, 2015 Fredrick Danysh rated it liked it
Matthew Hope is in the sack with his ex when he is notified that Otto Samalson has been murdered on Highway 41. Hope investigates as Otto had told him that he, Otto, feared that someone was out to get him. This is a complex novel.
Melody
Melody rated it really liked it
May 07, 2012
Paul Roper
Paul Roper rated it really liked it
Jun 07, 2013
Tom Snyder
Tom Snyder rated it liked it
Jan 08, 2011
Sep 07, 2009
Lisa
Lisa rated it liked it
Mar 02, 2012
Talliscat
Talliscat rated it really liked it
Mar 04, 2011
Quillracer
Quillracer rated it really liked it
Aug 25, 2012
Sylcaron
Sylcaron rated it really liked it
Mar 17, 2016
Sally Doermann
Sally Doermann rated it it was amazing
Apr 06, 2015
Neil Campbell
Neil Campbell rated it really liked it
Jul 23, 2015
Michael
Michael rated it it was ok
Nov 11, 2013
Bonnie
Bonnie rated it really liked it
Apr 27, 2013
Kelly
Kelly rated it liked it
Jan 02, 2012
Rasheil Stanger
Rasheil Stanger rated it really liked it
Mar 27, 2015
Timothy
Timothy rated it really liked it
Dec 28, 2014
Feb 16, 2014
Lauri
Lauri rated it liked it
Mar 01, 2011
Martin Sloane
Martin Sloane rated it really liked it
Sep 10, 2013
Feb 26, 2015
Ayres
Ayres rated it liked it
May 15, 2014
Bobbi
Bobbi rated it really liked it
Mar 19, 2012
Jana
Jana rated it it was amazing
May 01, 2012
Hanne Jespersen
Hanne Jespersen rated it liked it
Apr 21, 2013
  • Candyland
  • Sugartown (Amos Walker, #5)
  • Shadow Men (Max Freeman, #3)
  • Area of Suspicion
  • Cities of the Dead (Michael Spraugge Mystery #4)
  • The Fighting Man
  • The Volumetrics Eating Plan: Techniques and Recipes for Feeling Full on Fewer Calories
  • Assumed Identity
  • Breathing: The Master Key to Self Healing
  • The Book of Fires (The Sorrowful Mysteries of Brother Athelstan, #14)
  • Suspicion
  • Skull-Face
  • The Death of an Irish Sea Wolf (Peter McGarr, #12)
  • Never Pick up Hitch-hikers!
  • The Last Temple (The Destroyer, #27)
  • Maximum Security (Marty Nickerson, #3)
  • Silent Songs (Starbridge, #5)
  • Bluebottle (Lew Griffin, #5)
"Ed McBain" is one of the pen names of American author and screenwriter Salvatore Albert Lombino (1926 – 2005), who legally adopted the name Evan Hunter in 1952. While successful and well known as Evan Hunter, he was even better known as Ed McBain, a name he used for most of his crime fiction, beginning in 1956.

He also used the pen names John Abbott, Curt Cannon, Hunt Collins, Ezra Hannon, Dean Hu
More about Ed McBain...

Matthew Hope (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • Goldilocks (Matthew Hope, #1)
  • Rumpelstiltskin (Matthew Hope, #2)
  • Beauty And The Beast (Matthew Hope, #3)
  • Jack And The Beanstalk (Matthew Hope, #4)
  • Snow White and Rose Red
  • Puss in Boots
  • The House That Jack Built (Matthew Hope, #8)
  • Three Blind Mice
  • Mary, Mary
  • There Was A Little Girl (Matthew Hope, #11)