Start by marking “Overcoming Overload” as Want to Read:
Overcoming Overload

Overcoming Overload

There is no more room in our lives. Yet every new day brings more commitments demanding to be squeezed in. Overcoming Overload helps frenzied men and women weed out wrong ideas about life and rediscover God’s essential principles of balanced living, including:

• You Need a Sabbath

• You Need Sustenance

• You Need to Simplify

• You Need a Sanctuary

This biblical way of life
Published June 3rd 2004 by Multnomah (first published March 27th 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Overcoming Overload, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Overcoming Overload

Nikki
May 29, 2013 Nikki rated it it was amazing
One of the best non-fiction books I have ever read. The last two chapters were especially meaningful. Steve Farrar is an excellent teacher and author - if you feel you need some peace and rest in your busy life, you will definitely want to read this book. It brings everything into perspective, and helps you to prioritize.

Excerpt from Chapter 8:
"God enables us to go through suffering for a purpose.
This is the hope for the believer. Sometimes He wants to teach us about ourselves. Sometimes He wan
Robert Michael
Sep 18, 2012 Robert Michael rated it it was amazing
I needed this book. It has equal doses of wisdom, humor, and encouragement. They tell the plain truth about how we replace God in our lives and how that leads to overload. Best, though, is they tell how to overcome it with practical steps.

The chapter on the "Two Feet of Bark" was my favorite, and the chapter "You Need A Sanctuary" was a chapter to which I could really relate. I even taught a Sunday Evening Bible class on it back in April. Steve and Mary's simple and Godly message told with confi
Donna
Jan 08, 2010 Donna rated it it was amazing
If life seems to be going by so quickly that you can't seem to keep pace, then this book might be the thing for you. This book gave me a much healhier perspective to life by helping me recognize three big lies that had guided my life decisions in a negative way:

Lie Number One: "You can have it all."
Lie Number Two: "You can do it all."
Lie Number Three: "You deserve it all."

As great as these three statements are, the reality is that they are not true and living life as though they were puts a pers
Mary
Sep 01, 2011 Mary rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It took me a long time to get around to reading this because...you guessed it, I'm in overload. I thought it might be another book about how to purge your stuff, but it talks about your inner life and how to recognize what is important. I have several take-aways to work on.
Kelli
Jun 20, 2012 Kelli rated it liked it
Small group book. I liked some things and thought other things were fairly mundane. I do think that I took away some things that can help when I feel overwhelmed.
Seth
Dec 30, 2009 Seth rated it it was amazing
Another GREAT book by Steve Farrar. For the ladies, his wife wrote a book called "Choices" that is a great companion.
Jerry-Mac
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
Aug 03, 2008 Laura rated it it was amazing
We recently did this book in our ladies group. It is excellent. The chapters on sanctuary and the Sabbath are the best.
Noah W
Dec 01, 2013 Noah W rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2013
Addresses the importance of the Sabbath, resting, and making sure that you have a good reason for being busy.
Jeffrey L Flowers
Jeffrey L Flowers rated it really liked it
Mar 03, 2016
Brianna
Brianna rated it liked it
Sep 08, 2012
Deb
Deb rated it really liked it
Feb 06, 2014
Sarellyn Lee Hamatani
Sarellyn Lee Hamatani rated it really liked it
Mar 16, 2017
Glenn
Glenn rated it really liked it
Aug 09, 2013
Kemuel Travis
Kemuel Travis rated it really liked it
Jul 31, 2013
Derek Johnson
Derek Johnson rated it it was amazing
Feb 02, 2011
Jill
Jill rated it really liked it
Dec 02, 2013
April
April rated it it was ok
Apr 26, 2010
John R.
John R. rated it really liked it
Aug 25, 2016
Alane Gray
Alane Gray rated it liked it
Feb 25, 2015
Hannah
Hannah rated it really liked it
Nov 07, 2015
Randy Stone
Randy Stone rated it it was amazing
Mar 28, 2014
Jason
Jason rated it really liked it
Feb 10, 2016
Glenn Stern
Glenn Stern rated it really liked it
Feb 18, 2012
Brian
Brian rated it really liked it
Jan 18, 2011
Jen Krausz
Jen Krausz rated it really liked it
Jul 07, 2008
Sharon Heck
Sharon Heck rated it it was amazing
Mar 22, 2017
Todd Harrison
Todd Harrison rated it liked it
Mar 03, 2016
Eric Cochling
Eric Cochling rated it liked it
Dec 21, 2012
Randy Treit
Randy Treit rated it liked it
Feb 04, 2016
Steve Farrar is the founder of Men’s Leadership Ministries. He holds a Master’s degree from Western Seminary, and an earned doctorate from Dallas Theological Seminary. Steve is the author of the best-selling book, Point Man: How a Man Can Lead His Family, God Built, Battle Ready, and True Courage. Steve Farrar resides in Texas with his family.
More about Steve Farrar...

“What are we saying to our children when we forsake church week after week so they can play soccer, baseball, or football? Why would we forsake worship of the living God to embrace kicking a ball? Why not forsake soccer to let our children know who and what is most important in our lives? There is nothing wrong with sports. But when sport is valued over the worship of God, something is seriously wrong. All that we have comes from His hand. He deserves” 0 likes
“Epicureanism says, “Be sensuous; enjoy yourself.” Education says, “Be resourceful; expand yourself.” Materialism says, “Be satisfied; please yourself.” Psychology says, “Be confident; fulfill yourself.” Pride says, “Be superior; promote yourself” Humanism says, “Be capable; believe in yourself.” But God says to us, “Be wise; humble yourself.” The” 0 likes