Start by marking “The Confession of Fitzwilliam Darcy” as Want to Read:

3.68  ·  Rating Details ·  2,064 Ratings  ·  237 Reviews
Pride and Prejudice told from a delightfully different point of view. "The Holy Grail of P&P sequels." (Austenblog)

Originally published in the U.K., Mary Street's ingenious retelling of Jane Austen's classic story now makes its U.S. debut-to the delight of the fans of Austen's comic masterpiece of divine romance. In Fitzwilliam Darcy, Austen created the ultimate roman
Published March 4th 2008 by Berkley (first published April 30th 1999)

To ask other readers questions about The Confession of Fitzwilliam Darcy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Confession of Fitzwilliam Darcy

Chelsea
Jul 24, 2008 Chelsea rated it really liked it
One of the better "Pride and Prejudice from Darcy's perspective" novels I've read (and I can't seem to help myself when it comes to them). Georgiana and Fitzwilliam were both given more screen time than in the original, and the Bingleys were perfectly in character.

Street did a much better job looking at Darcy's motivations than some other writers, and the change in him was quite clear - if a bit sudden, happening very quickly after a certain proposal scene.

In a book like this, so closely tied to
Ann Smith
Dec 31, 2015 Ann Smith rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: jaff, reviewed
I enjoyed this very much. It is really no more than Pride & Prejudice told through Darcy's eyes, but it is well done and, unlike others I have read, fairly convincing. The only slight issue I would take with the storyline is that Darcy really does seem as arrogant and unpleasant as Elizabeth first believes him to, up to the point of the proposal at Hunsford when he begins to mend his ways. In the original, the interlude with the housekeeper at Pemberley makes it fairly clear that was not rea ...more
Melanie
Mar 03, 2011 Melanie rated it liked it
Shelves: chick-books
So far so good ... but what is the deal with this: on page 101 Georgiana "practised till her fingers bled." Um, what? I have practiced piano for 6 hours straight and ... I'm sorry ... but those milky smooth keys just don't make fingers bleed. Maybe she could have practiced till her back ached? Or till her rear end started going numb? Or till she was practically falling asleep right there on the bench? Those things are more likely.
On second thought, perhaps if she was doing hours and hours worth
Nov 16, 2008 Sarah rated it liked it
Don't be turned off by my 3-star rating. I have realized that I've been too generous in past reviews, and rather than go back and change them all, I'll just institute my new standards now.
I really enjoyed this book! It was so much fun to have a classic revisited with a fresh perspective and from Mr. Darcy's side. This was recommended, along with Darcy's Story - and I think the two just don't compare. Confession was creative, true to the story but failed to regurgitate all of the original Pride
Carol Perrin
Nov 24, 2014 Carol Perrin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Confession of Fitzwilliam Darcy

Enjoyed this book. It followed Austen's Pride and Prejudice, but much was added during his realization why Elizabeth refused his offer of marriage at Hunsford. Soul searching more in depth with Darcy realizing just how badly he's acted in the past with Elizabeth. His Aunt Catherine's tirade after confronting Elizabeth again gave him the push that he needed to go back to Meryton. Same misunderstandings throughout this story, but I think Fitzwilliam's soul search
Kylara Jensen
Mar 11, 2013 Kylara Jensen rated it really liked it
This book was amazing! It is quite my favorite of the Darcy's pov books I have read. The tone was very Jane Austen and the language was relatable and yet still old-fashioned at the same time. The characters were all spot on. Darcy remained a gentleman and his thoughts and actions made very much sense.

I found that the pacing was very good and nothing was repeated from P&P in a way that would make it annoying. I liked the way everything was portrayed and how some things were skipped because Da
Kelly
I think I am turning into a total Jane Austen geek-this book gave me goosebumps!

I enjoyed reading this story again from Mr. Darcy's perspective. I have to confess, that when I read P & P, I never gave much thought as to what Mr. Darcy was going through after his failed proposal. It never occurred to me that he might see the error of his ways and set about changing the way he acted or thought of others. Reading the story from his perspective makes it much more interesting!
Jenny
Jul 15, 2016 Jenny rated it did not like it
No man thinks in those long sighing moments where everything is wonderful and she's beautiful and we're going to get married and life is great. Men just don't think like that. Instead they're thinking about that horse they got outbid on which is probably why he's gruff and NOT thinking the entire time about her. They like good food, good horses, good sport, and sometimes a pair of pretty eyes. Most of the time none of that is even worth writing down. Especially not to their much younger sister i ...more
Marie
Apr 25, 2008 Marie rated it did not like it
I actually only read about 50 pages of this book, and got so annoyed with it that I just skimmed the read of the book. The writing is pretty poor. I thought that it was a cute idea for a book, but the author just wasn't able to pull it off, and it was really annoying to read a book that pretty much just says the same thing as the original without bringing much of anything new to it. Very disappointing because I read some good reviews of it.
Mariella
Apr 27, 2014 Mariella rated it really liked it
Better than pretty much all the other books trying to do the same thing; accomplished in one slim volume what Pamela Aidan failed to do in three more lengthy novels. Reading this book, the tone and conversation felt believable and true to the source material without becoming boring. Worth the read for fans of Pride & Prejudice, for sure!
Emy
Aug 30, 2008 Emy rated it liked it
Can you tell that I've been obsessing over Pride & Prejudice lately? I thought this book had a very realistic take on what Darcy's thoughts might have been, but it wasn't written as nicely as "An Assembly Such As This".
Candise wilde
May 25, 2009 Candise wilde rated it it was amazing
The greatest book ever! Even the die-hard (as I am) Jane Austen fans will approve and fall in love with Mr. Darcy all over again after reading the story from his point of view. YES! YES! YES! I could hardly stop to breathe while reading this I loved every second of it.
Kellie
Sep 18, 2009 Kellie rated it it was amazing
This was an interesting twist to Pride and Prejudice coming from Mr. Darcy's point of view. It really helps you understand why Mr. Darcy acts the way that he does. Must read for all of you Pride and Prejudice lovers.
Laurie
Dec 24, 2007 Laurie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: austenesque
actually fairly well-written, which is more than i can say for most of these.
Kirsten
Aug 01, 2008 Kirsten rated it really liked it
A very enjoyable read for die hard P&P fans. Not as good as Pamela Aidan's trilogy, but I was extremely diverted while reading it. I especially liked the ending.
Becky Anderson
Oct 15, 2014 Becky Anderson rated it really liked it
This was a yummy little indulgence.
Amanda Knight
Jan 02, 2013 Amanda Knight rated it it was amazing
If you love Pride an Prejudice but always wondered what our taciturn hero was going through, then this is the book for you. I've read it several times and still absolutely love it.
Liz Tailor
Jun 08, 2017 Liz Tailor rated it really liked it
Shelves: austen
I love this take on Pride and Prejudice. We get to see the entire series of events from Fitzwilliam Darcy's perspective. From when he first meets Elizabeth to when he professes his love and is rejected to when he forces Wickham to do right by Lydia and in turn saves the reputation of his beloved Elizabeth to when he waits with anticipation for her to soften to him in the end.

Fans of Jane Austen will appreciate this one sided retelling!
Darlene
Jun 24, 2017 Darlene rated it liked it
Reading the equivalent of "Pride and Prejudice" from Darcy's point of view was an entertaining exercise as he shucks disdain and insolence and self-importance and becomes a clumsy suitor for Elizabeth's hand.
Tory Ferrera
Mar 01, 2017 Tory Ferrera rated it liked it
Sweet and fun. It's a tall order to fill, presenting a beloved character's inner thoughts, but I think the author did pretty well.
Sheila Majczan
Feb 23, 2015 Sheila Majczan rated it really liked it
I bought this book on January 15, 2008 and just finished reading it for, at least, the third time. In owning over 100 JAFF in paperback and on kindle, it is very difficult to remember what each is about. Some do stand out. With this one I remember finding it began and ended with amusing lines. First, Darcy is fuming that Elizabeth "contrived to bring herself so much to my notice throughout the course of that evening." And, last, he is admonished to remember "You cannot expect to excel if you do ...more
Meredith (Austenesque Reviews)
Many Austen fans say that Mr.Darcy is one of their favorite Austen heroes. And why wouldn't he be? He is tall, dark, handsome, passionate, and does everything in his power to win a woman. It is not surprising that many have attempted to portray his feelings and thoughts during Pride and Prejudice. It is something every Darcy fan wants to know. When did he fall in love with her? What did he feel after her rejection? What did he do during the time in London? This attempt to retell Pride and Prejud ...more
Bry
For all the hype this book has within the Austen community I was a bit dissapointed. And I'm not even sure why it annoyed me so much!

1. Normally I hate when P & P retellings just repeat whole passages from the original book - mostly during dialoge heavy scenes - to help readers along within the plot, know where they are within the story. This book did NOT do that, instead it practically glazed over some of the best scenes from the novel in less than a page which annoyed the hell out of me.

Ella
Nov 03, 2013 Ella rated it did not like it
I picked up a book a long time ago and I'm pretty sure it was this one, so correct me if I really have got the wrong book.
I remember getting really excited, everyone was saying how good and realistic it was so I was super pumped. I searched the internet forever for a way to download or read it online. In the end I gave up and went to my local library which was a fair bit away.
I looked for the book and thankfully it was in an another branch so all I had to do was wait a couple days for it to arri
Marie
Feb 17, 2017 Marie rated it really liked it
quite diverting! the best, or at least my favorite, of any p&p "sequels" I've ever read. faithful to austen's characters, close enough to her style, and a pleasurable use of time.
Jess Swann
Mar 15, 2013 Jess Swann rated it it was amazing
J’ai adoré ce bouquin ! Cette fois, Darcy ne nous livre pas ses remarques dans un journal mais on vit l’histoire en même temps que lui ! Son point de vue ne manque pas de piquant et je trouve que cette version est plus fidèle au personnage que celle d’Amanda Grange. Par exemple, les relations qu’il entretient avec sa sœur, notamment au moment de l’histoire avec Wickman sont beaucoup moins teintées rose bonbon. Il y a des cris, il y a un Darcy sévère mais agissant dans l’intérêt de sa sœur. Leur ...more
Megan
Aug 29, 2012 Megan rated it liked it
Shelves: own
I began this book expecting to fully enjoy it. It has good reviews and it's a retelling of Pride and Prejudice from Mr. Darcy's POV, what's not to love? Alas, I am beginning to realize I don't really want to hear Darcy's inner-most thoughts. I think that is what I like about Jane Austen's telling of the story. She gives us wonderful characters and a captivating story, without forcing us to sit through a tedious diary-like-self-analysis of those characters. Plus, if I read about Darcy's POV I hav ...more
Carla
May 17, 2009 Carla rated it really liked it
Shelves: jane-austen, romance
This is "Pride and Prejudice" through the eyes of Mr. Darcy. Told in first person narrative, we not only see the other events taking place away from Longbourn and Elizabeth Bennet but also hear his most intimate thoughts about their interactions and conversations. From his first nervousness through his journey to reconcile his head and heart in his ardent admiration of Ms Bennet.

*******************************************
I love Pride and Prejudice, so i wasn't sure how I would like this book. I
Meghan
Mar 31, 2008 Meghan rated it really liked it
This was an easy read for me and pretty fast-paced. I enjoyed reading it, as I truly love anything related to Pride and Prejudice and more particularly, Mr. Darcy. I really liked the idea of reading Pride and Prejudice from Darcy's point of view - especially to see the relationship between Georgianna and him. There were a few things that bothered me about the book though: I did not like the image that it gave of Mr. Bingley and the fact that the MOST important part of the story, in my opinion, w ...more
Beth Anne
Apr 28, 2011 Beth Anne rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2011
This book is a first-persona narrative of the events in Pride and Prejudice as told by Mr Darcy. The dialogue and the comments about situations and people were verbatim from the original. Most interesting was the way that Mr Darcy settled the matter between Wickham and Lydia, as well as the role Darcy played in getting Bingley back to Netherfield. Pride and Prejudice is a great story, and this author clearly has a love for the book and Jane Austin's style of writing...she did an excellent job ke ...more
A Million More Pages: The Confession of Fitzwilliam Darcy: Apr 8 56 25 Apr 15, 2015 08:37AM
  • Darcy and Anne
  • A Match For Mary Bennet: Can A Serious Young Lady Ever Find Her Way To Love?
  • Mr. Darcy Presents His Bride: A Sequel to Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice
  • Mr. Darcy and the Secret of Becoming a Gentleman
  • Pemberley Shades: A Lightly Gothic Tale of Mr. and Mrs. Darcy
  • Old Friends and New Fancies: An Imaginary Sequel to the Novels of Jane Austen
  • Mr. Darcy's Secret
  • The Darcy Connection
  • Edmund Bertram's Diary (Jane Austen Heroes, #4)
  • And This Our Life (Chronicles of the Darcy Family #1)
  • From Lambton to Longbourn
  • First Impressions: A Tale of Less Pride & Prejudice
  • Mr. Darcy's Decision: A Sequel to Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice
  • More Letters from Pemberley: 1814-1819: A Further Continuation of Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice
  • The Darcy Cousins
  • Only Mr. Darcy Will Do
  • The Perfect Bride for Mr. Darcy
  • Darcy's Temptation: A Sequel to Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice

“When left alone with her, I ignored her and kept my eyes on my book, though I confess I turned over more pages than I read.” 7 likes
“Elizabeth’s tears had wrung my heart: I longed to enfold her in my arms, to comfort her, but I knew
it would be infamous indeed to take such advantage of her distress.”
3 likes