Start by marking “Rocks and Minerals (Field Guide and Introduction to the Geology and Chemistry of)” as Want to Read:

3.86 of 5 stars 3.86  ·  rating details  ·  210 ratings  ·  23 reviews
An illustrated field guide to rocks and minerals.
Published June 1st 1973 by Golden (first published 1957)

To ask other readers questions about Rocks and Minerals, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rocks and Minerals

Lisa Vegan
I adored this book as a kid, and continually read and viewed it. I did collect rocks, as well as shells. I remember even buying some particularly pretty rocks with my allowance, the kinds I never would have found in my searches. I do own this book, but given the state of my real world shelves, I’ll have to hunt it down. I’d love to take a look at this again. I have many fond memories of time spent with it. I’m rating based on the enjoyment I got pouring over this book when I was young; I haven’t ...more
Lobstergirl
I used to spend hours poring over this book when I was little, drawn to the awesome cover - that big ole pickaxe and the chunks of sparkly rocks. Thank you, Golden Nature Guides!

The later covers just don't have the same magic.
Micah
This book started my fascination with minerals and chemistry. I spent many hours reading this book in my room waiting to go collect rocks as a kid.

My dad bought me this book on a vacation and it might have boon the best investment in my future that he ever made.

The information in the book is dated but the drawings and pictures helped me have a better understanding and appreciation for mineralogy and gemology.
Brenyn.g
This book was fun when i was younger and i decided to give it a look a few days ago and read through it but now i just thought it was boring
Rebecca
This is a great book a child who is interested in rocks and minerals. It covers the basics and has lots of interesting illustrations. A classic that has stood the test of time!
Michaelcandido
I like the facts and diagrams
Betsy
Nov 05, 2012 Betsy added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone with a casual to hearty interest in Rocks, Gems and Minerals
Recommended to Betsy by: saw in Uppercase magazine
These books are beautifully vintage now and a pleasure to read! The information is quite concise and written for a wide audience of lay persons...which includes me :-)
I have unearthed a trove of my old "Golden Nature Guides"- of which there are many -and am enjoying not only the information which I can understand w/o falling asleep, but the entire vintage format and illustrations throughout.
What a find! Snap them up now before people catch on to their vintage value!
Berk
Totally Useful for field trips (approved) and very clear to understand!
Dad
This is an excellent Golden Guide book but it has not been used as much as many of the others perhaps because I am not as interested in rocks as the life science side of things.
CJ
It was very informational, but dated, given how old it is. Particularly on the uses of different minerals, such as Asbestos.
Foxtower
Very basic, and not nearly as helpful as more complex and comprehensive guideboooks, but a fun little book for a quick reference.
Fredrick Danysh
Zim classifies rocks and minerals in an easy to understand book that is intended for the layman.
Shane
A classic version of this book. I remember reading this as a kid when my dad owned it.
Cb
I have a VERY old edition of this book from when I used to collect rocks as a kid!
Saleris
It's a nice little book that I've had since a little girl. Lovely life drawings.
Benjamin Plume
I had these as a younger teen, and they are really packed with information.
Jacob Van
most amazing rocks and minerals book I have ever read in my life
Edithl6
I really did not like it because you learn from it :-/
Sara
One of my all time favorite books as a kid.
Free5ammar
very important and useful book
Allison
Grade: 3-5
Topic: Rocks and minerals
Rose
Rose marked it as to-read
Mar 17, 2015
Jason Broander
Jason Broander marked it as to-read
Mar 15, 2015
Harry Siame
Harry Siame marked it as to-read
Mar 13, 2015
  • Birds of North America: A Guide to Field Identification
  • National Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Rocks and Minerals
  • A Field Guide to Reptiles and Amphibians: Eastern and Central North America
  • A Field Guide to Insects: America North of Mexico
  • National Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Trees: Eastern Region
  • National Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Birds: Western Region (National Audubon Society Field Guide)
  • A Field Guide to the Birds of Eastern and Central North America
  • Stalking the Healthful Herbs
  • The World Treasury of Physics, Astronomy & Mathematics from Albert Einstein to Stephen W. Hawking & from Annie Dillard to John Updike
  • World of Ideas
  • The Stars: A New Way to See Them
  • A Field Guide to Stars and Planets (Peterson Field Guides)
  • The Earth After Us: What Legacy Will Humans Leave in the Rocks?
  • National Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Reptiles and Amphibians
  • Humanism: A Very Short Introduction
  • An Autobiographical Study
  • The Merriam-Webster Thesaurus
  • Typographie =: Typography
Birds: A Guide to Familiar American Birds Stars: A Guide to the Constellations, Sun, Moon, Planets, and Other Features of the Heavens Insects: A Guide to Familiar American Insects Trees: A Guide to Familiar American Trees Mammals: A Guide to North American Species