Doyle Brunson's Super System

Doyle Brunson's Super System

3.92 of 5 stars 3.92  ·  rating details  ·  1,188 ratings  ·  59 reviews
A course in power poker from one of the greatest players ever.
Published December 31st 2002 by Cardoza (first published 1979)

To ask other readers questions about Doyle Brunson's Super System, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Doyle Brunson's Super System

Tim S.
Although severely outdated in many sections, to the point of being basically useless (the Limit Hold 'Em section for example described a single blind variation of the game no longer spread) this still contains one of the better introductions to NLHE strategy written by Brunson as well as a decent Seven Card Stud primer by Chip Reese. It's also, to my knowledge, the only book containing strategy on Draw, a game very rarely played in casinos but now available on several internet poker sites at low...more
Bradford
This is considered necessary reading if you plan on playing poker professionally. But you will never play poker professionally. Yes, you, reading this review, you won't ever be a professional. You've got about as much chance earning a living playing poker as you do becoming a professional spy. Actually less of a chance, as there are more professional spies in the world. But the book will give you the illusion you might be able to. Let me crush that illusion one more time: You won't.
Jak
I read the NL TH section when I first got into the game. It's alright but not half as good as some other poker books I've read.
Justin Yeary
Although the strategy is a bit outdated given the book was writen in the 1970s, I think it's still worth picking up and reading. It covers basic poker strategy applicable to all games, in addition to specific strategies for all kinds of games ranging from 7 Card Stud to Razz to both Limit and No-Limit Texas Hold'Em. A lot of the games mentioned here aren't that popular anymore, but I think the book is worth it for the general strategy & NLHE sections alone.

In terms of Doyle's specific advice...more
Some
If you are interested in learning or mastering poker, look elsewhere. If you're looking here you're in a SuperHero Cult and taking advise you realistically cannot ply effectively unless you are born with super gifts in reading people and guesstimating their responses to basically errant moves in the game. Doyle is a SuperHero and precious few play his way and actually win money.

Take care of your family and friends, spend this money on a random act of kindness for them instead of purchasing this...more
Stephen
Read the introductory sections and the sections on Texas Hold'em, during a (brief) spurt of interest in poker. Which lasted long enough to teach me I would never be more than a casual player (:>P). I think Brunson's highly aggressive style of play is a sure route to the poorhouse for anyone who is not highly skilled in reading tells and having an intuitive feel for position. Which personally I lack the interest to put in the hard work necessary to obtain. Nevertheless, a must read for even a...more
George
Feb 07, 2008 George rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone who is serious about poker
For the person just starting to learn about poker, people consider this to be the "Bible" of poker. Kind of true, it is a classic, though with today's leading books on tournament poker, you could consider this the "Old Testament" of poker. Still read and revered with lessons that can be learned today.

The games taught:
Draw Poker by Mike Caro
7-Card Stud by Chip Reese
Lowball poker (Ace-5 and 2-7 draw, and 7-card Razz) by Doyle Brunson and Joey Hawthorne
High-Low Split declare by David Sklansky
Limit...more
Michael Lawrence
Jul 09, 2008 Michael Lawrence rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: all poker players
Recommended to Michael by: Eric Fiorentino
Shelves: gambling
This book is huge! But a very very good book on Hold em and poker in general. Doyle is a legend on the tables but also on my book shelf. I learned as much from reading his books as I have from playing the great game of poker.

I would not say I have read this book because I haven't/ I have read a lot of it in many different sittings but it is more of a reference book for me than a typical book. Especially in the way I have read it over the years.

If you love to play poker. Then read this.
Dan
Hold em is THE game now but when Doyle wrote this beauty several different types of poker were played and the World Series was in its infancy. This is a complete book covering all variations but I was focused on the hold em section. Doyle's philosophy unlike any other I've read. He's far more focused on position, feel, and potential than stats and mathematics. That suits my game so I really enjoyed reading this book.
Jeremy
Jan 16, 2008 Jeremy rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: someone new to Poker
At my current poker level, I consider this book to be not that great. It talks a lot about Doyle's gut feeling and much of the strategy that he gives is based on semi-reason. For that reason, I don't look back on it favorably. However, for those new to the game it's probably good.

I more highly recommend any book by David Sklansky, especially "Theory of Poker". However, that may be above newbies...
Joe
Definitely the best book for a beginning who's trying to learn some of the finer points of poker. Problem is that all the beginners who are trying to learn the finer points of poker read this book, so they all play the same way. So then you've gotta use a little critical thinking and figure out how to play against that style. Still a really well-written intro to a few different poker games.
Kingsley
First poker book I've ever read. The NL section is very thorough and I still peruse it from time to time when I get the chance. I highly recommend this to novice players who want to donk off their chips but look good doing it. The other poker games are often overlooked so definitely read those sections as well if you want to hold your own when the Hold 'em game turns into Razz.
Anthony
Jan 07, 2008 Anthony rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: poker players
First book I read about no limit poker and a must read for anyone who is beginning to play. He preaches to play power poker where if you have chips in the middle of the pot you have to apply pressure and try to win the hand. He talks about bluffs, semi bluffs, hand analysis, and much more. Excellent book for any poker player.
Cyberpope
The best poker tutorial you'll ever read!

He invites various proven winners to give you tips on many types of poker games, from online to seedy smoke-filled cardrooms, from 5-card stud to Texas Holdem & dozens in between, you'll come away with a deeper appreciation of all the games, & new skills to win at all of them, too!
Ben Phillips
Suffers from the same problems as Super System II and then some more since the structures of the games that it discusses are outdated. One minorly amusing fact is that the 0.10/0.20 5-card draw games on PokerStars are so weak that I could beat them easily using the tables from Caro's section on draw poker.
Kevin
This book didn't make me rich or even an all around better poker player. Reading this did reassure me that poker is just about all luck.

Overall the read was ok, I invested in this book to help my poker game and I didn't see any kind of increase in my earnings.
Dean
The first edition of the "poker bible", written by the godfather of Poker Doyle Brunson. This book opened my mind to the complexities of the game of poker, got me thinking strategically and sent me on way to becoming a better player.
Jinn
Still stands as the godfather of all poker instructional manuals, even if a tiny bit outdated. The follow-up Super System 2 is the perfect first book for anyone desiring to develop a firm foundation in all the poker disciplines.
Brandon Taylor
I read this for the first time almost 15 years ago and have read it several time since. It is a reference for poker basics to advanced and is on the bookshelf or in the library of every pro an aspiring armatures.
Carmine
For anyone looking to jump into the poker world, and enter the mind of the most incredible man in poker, read this book.

Doyle Brunson offers an aggressive, logical, and brilliant style of poker.
Devan
May 04, 2010 Devan is currently reading it
This book is great to learn to play poker! IT teaches you everything u need to know. How to find peoples tells, Why they use chips, History of poker, and just how to play. It is perfect for beginners or pros!
Joe Johnston
This is terribly written but it doesn't pretend to be anything other than what it is: a terrifically useful book on how to play poker very, very well. A must-read for serious poker players.
Tony
Dec 24, 2009 Tony added it
Shelves: poker
A little dated, especially the Hold'em section, which is why I picked up the book. But, like most good poker books, it emphasizes the importance of aggression.
Kenny Tang
It book relates to you more as you play the game more. New players can read it for some insight but experienced players will get a lot more out of it.
Greg Earnest
This is the bible of Hold'em Poker, and if you don't read the section on Hold'em and sit down at a table of sharks, they will eat you alive.
John Reeves
Super System is the book on playing aggressive poker. A must read for anyone wanting to play competitive poker.
Ross
If you want to know anything about virtually any form of poker, this is the book to show you how to play them
Jerrod Stephan
Apr 05, 2007 Jerrod Stephan rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: People who like playing poker
Shelves: pokerbooks
It is a BIG book that takes a while to get through, but it has some great stories from Doyle Brunson and his buddies.
Darrel Owen
A very thorough guide in all aspects of poker. Excellent book. Indispensable to your poker library.
Alfredo
This book goes into VERY good detail on how to win at poker, what to do and how to do it. VERY nice...
  • Caro's Book of Poker Tells
  • Harrington on Hold 'em: Expert Strategy for No-Limit Tournaments; Volume II: The Endgame
  • The Theory of Poker
  • Small Stakes Hold 'em: Winning Big with Expert Play
  • Ace on the River: An Advanced Poker Guide
  • Every Hand Revealed
  • Phil Gordon's Little Green Book: Lessons and Teachings in No Limit Texas Hold'em
  • The Professor, the Banker, and the Suicide King: Inside the Richest Poker Game of All Time
  • The Biggest Game in Town
  • One of a Kind: The Rise and Fall of Stuey ',The Kid', Ungar, The World's Greatest Poker Player
  • Positively Fifth Street: Murderers, Cheetahs, and Binion's World Series of Poker
  • Poker Nation: A High-Stakes, Low-Life Adventure into the Heart of a Gambling Country
  • Play Poker Like the Pros: The greatest poker player in the world today reveals his million-dollar-winning strategies to the most popular tournament, home and online games
  • For Richer, For Poorer: A Love Affair with Poker
  • A Force More Powerful: A Century of Non-Violent Conflict
  • The Partnership: The Making of Goldman Sachs
  • The Haçienda: How Not to Run a Club
  • From Here to Infinity
Doyle Brunson, nicknamed "Texas Dolly" is an American poker player, who won the World Series of Poker in 1976 and 1977.
More about Doyle Brunson...
Doyle Brunson's Super System II Poker Wisdom of a Champion The Godfather of Poker: The Doyle Brunson Story My 50 Most Memorable Hands According to Doyle