Start by marking “Doyle Brunson's Super System” as Want to Read:
Doyle Brunson's Super System

Doyle Brunson's Super System

3.92  ·  Rating Details ·  1,739 Ratings  ·  72 Reviews
Twice-world champion and Hall of Famer Doyle Brunson and five leading experts in their various specialties tell you when to raise, call, bet, and fold at hold 'em (limit and no-limit), 7-stud (high and low), draw poker, and lowball.

Collaborators David "Chip" Reese, Mike Caro, David Sklansky, Joey Hawthorne, and former world champion Bobby Baldwin. This treatise on professi
Paperback, Third Edition, 605 pages
Published December 31st 2002 by Cardoza (first published 1979)

To ask other readers questions about Doyle Brunson's Super System, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Doyle Brunson's Super System

Bradford
Nov 23, 2008 Bradford rated it did not like it
This is considered necessary reading if you plan on playing poker professionally. But you will never play poker professionally. Yes, you, reading this review, you won't ever be a professional. You've got about as much chance earning a living playing poker as you do becoming a professional spy. Actually less of a chance, as there are more professional spies in the world. But the book will give you the illusion you might be able to. Let me crush that illusion one more time: You won't.
MadMaxx
Jul 29, 2015 MadMaxx rated it it was amazing
This is basically like the bible to poker right here.
Preston Jr.
Mar 22, 2017 Preston Jr. rated it it was amazing
Great to learn Poker from a world class player. Brunson says in his final words that the reader should now know just as much as he does about poker. I guess the difference is that the reader hasn't necessarily executed it yet. It also does not help that this book might be a tad outdated.
Jordan Lewis
Oct 13, 2015 Jordan Lewis rated it really liked it
I can tell why this is the book on poker. It explains, in a conversational tone, why there is much more to the game than probability and luck. Doyle likes to establish a 'table image', usually of an aggressive player. If you play cards seemingly at random, it will be hard to distinguish between a bluff and a solid hand. Conversely, if you only play the best cards, you may be playing optimally in a vacuum, but good players will recognize this, rarely join you, and if they do, easily predict your ...more
Okmanek
Jan 04, 2015 Okmanek rated it liked it
Shelves: poker
Doyle Brunson, Godfather of Poker, the Legend.

Klasyk wśród literatury pokerowej. Swoją pozycję zawdzięcza w dużej mierze dacie wydania. Wtedy wiedza zawarta w niej pewnie wystarczała by osiągnąć wysoki poziom. W międzyczasie poker wyewoluował.

Doyle bardzo dużo czasu poświęca zagadnieniom typu: ile możliwych stritów (w tym nutsowych) można mieć z takiej ręki? Jest smutny gdy ma 89 przy flopie TJQ (bo przecież AK to taka overplayed ręka). Pisze o graniu 5 rodzajów rąk: AA, KK, AK, QQ, JJ-22 - nazy
Tim S.
Jan 31, 2009 Tim S. rated it liked it
Shelves: instructional
Although severely outdated in many sections, to the point of being basically useless (the Limit Hold 'Em section for example described a single blind variation of the game no longer spread) this still contains one of the better introductions to NLHE strategy written by Brunson as well as a decent Seven Card Stud primer by Chip Reese. It's also, to my knowledge, the only book containing strategy on Draw, a game very rarely played in casinos but now available on several internet poker sites at low ...more
Jeff Anderson
Jun 21, 2015 Jeff Anderson rated it it was amazing
The classic book on poker by Doyle Brunson. Doyle is to poker what Jeff Cooper is to guns: a larger than life figure who inserts colorful storytelling into his books.
This book will not suffice to teach a person to play poker well, but any serious poker player will read this at some point to learn mindsets of the champions, strategy, and poker history.
A must read for poker enthusiasts.
Richard
Feb 06, 2015 Richard rated it really liked it
While certainly a five star guide to playing Poker when it first came out, now it is more of a history lesson than helpful guide to modern Poker. Styles have changed so much since the creation of this book, that if you're looking for your first guide, you might want to examine a more recent book.
Arpit Garg
Nov 15, 2015 Arpit Garg rated it really liked it
It's the poker 101. A must read.
John
Oct 18, 2015 John rated it liked it
Strictly a view into the past. Don't read it for the quality of the strategy. In fact, I've heard people seriously question whether the no-limit advice might've been propaganda in it's own day.
Frank
Dec 17, 2015 Frank rated it it was amazing
The definitive "Bible" on poker, it covers all poker games you would ever find yourself playing, and every aspect you could possible learn from a book.
Jak
Aug 19, 2009 Jak rated it it was ok
I read the NL TH section when I first got into the game. It's alright but not half as good as some other poker books I've read.
Kurtzprzezce
Sep 17, 2014 Kurtzprzezce rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, poker
Na wstępie: przeczytałem tylko sekcję poświęconą grze No-Limit Hold'em napisaną przez Doyle'a Brunsona, co stanowi pewnie ok. 25% całej książki. Nigdy wcześniej nie czytałem niczego o pokerze, więc sporo rzeczy było dla mnie nowych i pouczających. Książka nie jest jednak bez wad. Po pierwsze - wiele rad adresowanych jest do bardzo dobrych graczy, grających z innymi graczami na ich poziomie. Mało kto jest w stanie w ogóle je wykorzystać. Po drugie: nie zawsze wszystko jest opisane do końca jasno. ...more
Justin Yeary
Apr 11, 2012 Justin Yeary rated it liked it
Shelves: poker
Although the strategy is a bit outdated given the book was writen in the 1970s, I think it's still worth picking up and reading. It covers basic poker strategy applicable to all games, in addition to specific strategies for all kinds of games ranging from 7 Card Stud to Razz to both Limit and No-Limit Texas Hold'Em. A lot of the games mentioned here aren't that popular anymore, but I think the book is worth it for the general strategy & NLHE sections alone.

In terms of Doyle's specific advice
Danm
May 12, 2016 Danm rated it really liked it
Shelves: poker
This is known as the bible of poker, and I can understand why. There is a lot of in-depth information. Everything Doyle writes seems to be on the money, but there's one catch.

This system worked well back in the 1970s, and probably the 1980s and 1990s, but once Chris Moneymaker won the World Series of Poker and so many people flooded the poker market, it led to a great deal of passion for the game, and those who were most passionate educated themselves as much as possible -- including Super Syst
Some
Apr 12, 2008 Some rated it did not like it
If you are interested in learning or mastering poker, look elsewhere. If you're looking here you're in a SuperHero Cult and taking advise you realistically cannot ply effectively unless you are born with super gifts in reading people and guesstimating their responses to basically errant moves in the game. Doyle is a SuperHero and precious few play his way and actually win money.

Take care of your family and friends, spend this money on a random act of kindness for them instead of purchasing this
George
Feb 07, 2008 George rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone who is serious about poker
For the person just starting to learn about poker, people consider this to be the "Bible" of poker. Kind of true, it is a classic, though with today's leading books on tournament poker, you could consider this the "Old Testament" of poker. Still read and revered with lessons that can be learned today.

The games taught:
Draw Poker by Mike Caro
7-Card Stud by Chip Reese
Lowball poker (Ace-5 and 2-7 draw, and 7-card Razz) by Doyle Brunson and Joey Hawthorne
High-Low Split declare by David Sklansky
Limit
Stephen
Aug 17, 2012 Stephen rated it really liked it
Read the introductory sections and the sections on Texas Hold'em, during a (brief) spurt of interest in poker. Which lasted long enough to teach me I would never be more than a casual player (:>P). I think Brunson's highly aggressive style of play is a sure route to the poorhouse for anyone who is not highly skilled in reading tells and having an intuitive feel for position. Which personally I lack the interest to put in the hard work necessary to obtain. Nevertheless, a must read for even a ...more
Michael Lawrence
Jul 08, 2008 Michael Lawrence rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: all poker players
Recommended to Michael by: Eric Fiorentino
Shelves: gambling
This book is huge! But a very very good book on Hold em and poker in general. Doyle is a legend on the tables but also on my book shelf. I learned as much from reading his books as I have from playing the great game of poker.

I would not say I have read this book because I haven't/ I have read a lot of it in many different sittings but it is more of a reference book for me than a typical book. Especially in the way I have read it over the years.

If you love to play poker. Then read this.
Jeremy
Jan 16, 2008 Jeremy rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: someone new to Poker
At my current poker level, I consider this book to be not that great. It talks a lot about Doyle's gut feeling and much of the strategy that he gives is based on semi-reason. For that reason, I don't look back on it favorably. However, for those new to the game it's probably good.

I more highly recommend any book by David Sklansky, especially "Theory of Poker". However, that may be above newbies...
Dan
Apr 18, 2013 Dan rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Hold em is THE game now but when Doyle wrote this beauty several different types of poker were played and the World Series was in its infancy. This is a complete book covering all variations but I was focused on the hold em section. Doyle's philosophy unlike any other I've read. He's far more focused on position, feel, and potential than stats and mathematics. That suits my game so I really enjoyed reading this book.
Kingsley
May 27, 2009 Kingsley rated it it was amazing
First poker book I've ever read. The NL section is very thorough and I still peruse it from time to time when I get the chance. I highly recommend this to novice players who want to donk off their chips but look good doing it. The other poker games are often overlooked so definitely read those sections as well if you want to hold your own when the Hold 'em game turns into Razz.
Anthony
Jan 07, 2008 Anthony rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: poker players
First book I read about no limit poker and a must read for anyone who is beginning to play. He preaches to play power poker where if you have chips in the middle of the pot you have to apply pressure and try to win the hand. He talks about bluffs, semi bluffs, hand analysis, and much more. Excellent book for any poker player.
Cyberpope
Jun 02, 2013 Cyberpope rated it it was amazing
The best poker tutorial you'll ever read!

He invites various proven winners to give you tips on many types of poker games, from online to seedy smoke-filled cardrooms, from 5-card stud to Texas Holdem & dozens in between, you'll come away with a deeper appreciation of all the games, & new skills to win at all of them, too!
Ben Phillips
May 07, 2009 Ben Phillips rated it it was ok
Suffers from the same problems as Super System II and then some more since the structures of the games that it discusses are outdated. One minorly amusing fact is that the 0.10/0.20 5-card draw games on PokerStars are so weak that I could beat them easily using the tables from Caro's section on draw poker.
Joe
Jun 12, 2008 Joe rated it it was amazing
Definitely the best book for a beginning who's trying to learn some of the finer points of poker. Problem is that all the beginners who are trying to learn the finer points of poker read this book, so they all play the same way. So then you've gotta use a little critical thinking and figure out how to play against that style. Still a really well-written intro to a few different poker games.
Carmine
Nov 02, 2008 Carmine rated it really liked it
For anyone looking to jump into the poker world, and enter the mind of the most incredible man in poker, read this book.

Doyle Brunson offers an aggressive, logical, and brilliant style of poker.
Kevin
Aug 19, 2012 Kevin rated it it was ok
This book didn't make me rich or even an all around better poker player. Reading this did reassure me that poker is just about all luck.

Overall the read was ok, I invested in this book to help my poker game and I didn't see any kind of increase in my earnings.
Jinn
Jun 18, 2008 Jinn rated it it was amazing
Still stands as the godfather of all poker instructional manuals, even if a tiny bit outdated. The follow-up Super System 2 is the perfect first book for anyone desiring to develop a firm foundation in all the poker disciplines.
Devan
May 04, 2010 Devan is currently reading it
This book is great to learn to play poker! IT teaches you everything u need to know. How to find peoples tells, Why they use chips, History of poker, and just how to play. It is perfect for beginners or pros!
Goodreads Librari...: Please add details 3 82 Jun 14, 2016 08:20PM
  • Harrington on Hold 'em: Expert Strategy for No-Limit Tournaments, Volume II: The Endgame
  • Caro's Book of Poker Tells
  • The Theory of Poker
  • Small Stakes Hold 'em: Winning Big with Expert Play
  • Ace on the River: An Advanced Poker Guide
  • Every Hand Revealed
  • Phil Gordon's Little Green Book: Lessons and Teachings in No Limit Texas Hold'em
  • Phil Hellmuth Presents Read 'Em and Reap: A Career FBI Agent's Guide to Decoding Poker Tells
  • The Biggest Game in Town
  • The Professor, the Banker, and the Suicide King: Inside the Richest Poker Game of All Time
  • Zen and the Art of Poker: Timeless Secrets to Transform Your Game
  • Big Deal: One Year as a Professional Poker Player
  • One of a Kind: The Rise and Fall of Stuey, 'The Kid', Ungar, The World's Greatest Poker Player
  • The Psychology of Poker
  • Positively Fifth Street: Murderers, Cheetahs, and Binion's World Series of Poker
  • Poker Nation: A High-Stakes, Low-Life Adventure into the Heart of a Gambling Country
  • Pot-Limit Omaha Poker
  • The Mathematics of Poker
Doyle Brunson, nicknamed "Texas Dolly" is an American poker player, who won the World Series of Poker in 1976 and 1977.
More about Doyle Brunson...