Start by marking “A Journey Round My Skull” as Want to Read:
A Journey Round My Skull

A Journey Round My Skull

3.97 of 5 stars 3.97  ·  rating details  ·  381 ratings  ·  28 reviews
The distinguished Hungarian author Frigyes Karinthy was sitting in a Budapest café, wondering whether to write a long-planned monograph on modern man or a new play, when he was disturbed by the roaring—so loud as to drown out all other noises—of a passing train. Soon it was gone, only to be succeeded by another. And another. Strange, Karinthy thought, it had been years sin ...more
Published March 11th 2008 by NYRB Classics (first published 1936)

To ask other readers questions about A Journey Round My Skull, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Journey Round My Skull

Embers by Sándor MáraiFatelessness by Imre KertészThe Paul Street Boys by Ferenc MolnárThe Door by Magda SzabóSkylark by Dezső Kosztolányi
20th Century Hungarian Literature
7th out of 117 books — 86 voters
Stoner by John WilliamsChess Story by Stefan ZweigA High Wind in Jamaica by Richard HughesThe Summer Book by Tove JanssonThe Invention of Morel by Adolfo Bioy Casares
New York Review Books - Classics
141st out of 374 books — 344 voters

More lists with this book...

William
Who did the photo editing for this particular New York Review Book? My God, it's dreadful, and by far the most off-putting aspect of the book. The book itself is a fascinating autobiographical account by a well-known member of Hungary's pre-WW II literati who discovers that he has a brain tumor. The text itself is an interesting blend of travel writing, medical memoir, cultural observation, and philosophical inquiry. Karinthy is interested in the effect of his tumor on everything, not just himse ...more
Meaghan
People interested in medicine and the history of medicine will enjoy this memoir by a middle-aged man who had a benign brain tumor removed in 1936. Karinthy, a Hungarian writer and journalist, was a bit of a celebrity in his native country and it was thanks to his social connections that he was able to be operated on by one of the best brain surgeons in the world. But the operation and Karinthy's recovery are only a small part of the book; he also covers in detail the months leading up to the op ...more
Kathrina
I'll first list some interesting things I've learned about Karinthy:
--He was the first to posit the idea that any two people on earth are joined by six degrees of separation, an idea that seems almost ludicrous before the computer age.
--The cafe in which he performed most of his writing, including Journey, is called the Central Cafe, and still functions as it always has. I'm making a point to visit it on our trip to Budapest.
--In Journey, Karinthy makes a seemingly off-hand allusion to his firs
Leniw
4 or 5 stars? I am not sure yet.

This was a very powerful read. True to its title, it was a journey inside a skull and mind. Having lost a relative from brain cancer, I found this quite difficult to read at some points. Apart from that it was really interesting. The writing style was excellent.

In the end I felt that I truly knew this person. I love it when a book has this effect on me. It makes a connection, a real bond.
Catherine
In his introduction to Karinthy's work, Oliver Sacks states that this is "the first autobiographical description of a journey inside the brain" - and while there are surely qualifiers to attach (in Western literature; in Western form) Karinthy's work does stand as a remarkable look at neurological illness, brain surgery, and treatment in early twentieth century Europe. The book is a muddle of styles - flamboyant description; stripped-bare medical detail; camp gossip - but within that muddle lies ...more
Nathaniel
In recognition of its thoroughness and accuracy, book store franchises shelve this memoir in the medical section, though it reads like literature. Frigyes Karinthy was a well known and much respected writer and humorist in Budapest in the 1930s when he began to suffer from intensifying auditory hallucinations. These disturbances initiate his progression through the medical establishments of Budapest, Vienna and Stockholm. In parallel, his symptoms accumulate, prompt various misdiagnoses (such as ...more
Jim
A fascinating book by a Hungarian author describing the onset of a brain tumor in Budapest in the 1930s, and how his case came to be properly diagnosed after visiting many physicians there and in Vienna. Finally, when the diagnosis of a tumor in the cerebellum is made, he is sent to Dr. Olivecrona in Stockholm, Sweden, to actually perform the surgery. He recovered completely -- a real raity in those days -- only to die two years later of a stroke while stooping down to tie his shoelaces.

Karinth
Julia Boechat Machado
É estranho ler as memórias de um homem contando como um tumor cerebral afetou sua vida – especialmente quando sabemos que esse tumor acabou por matá-lo. Mais estranho é que isso é não só interessante, mas divertido, graças à escrita de Karinthy.
Patrick
Karinthy was a journalist/essayist, and this book does a good job of getting at the experience of what it's like to have a brain tumor, as well as the denial, misdiagnosis, fear, and lack of human concern that individuals with a serious illness face. The author is not a great stylist, and seems more intent on amusing himself than addressing his emotions directly; as such, this account is not compelling, but it's still worth a look.
Mark
Mar 31, 2008 Mark marked it as to-read
While sitting in a Budapest café, writer Frigyes Karinthy (1887–1938) suddenly heard the roaring of a train, without there being a train station nearby. The roaring noise he heard over and over again turned out to be an auditory hallucination, and the writer’s calvary began.

Even though he fainted on several occasions and his eyesight deteriorated severely, first neither he nor his doctors suspected serious illness. But as his symptoms became more and more severe, he arrived at the conclusion tha
John
very interesting first-hand perspective read from someone who survived early modern brain surgery. karinthy's story traces his early symptoms through to the actual surgery. his metaphors and descriptions of the hallucinations, pains and general experiences are enlightening and relevant. he considers the scientific without getting away from the human. it bogs a bit in the middle when he's finally worried some about the surgery, but otherwise the flow is good and the story + his thought processes ...more
Dave
A neat book--Karinthy was a Hungarian humorist/journalist/etc., so the book about his brain tumor and operation reads a little like James Thurber. A closer comparison might be Joseph Heller/Speed Vogel's "No Laughing Matter," but with fantasy sequences and creative descriptions, this is a much more interesting book (though I wouldn't call it funny--the humor is dated and James Thurber is better). The later chapters--when he gets a little less goofy and a little more scared--are actually better, ...more
Barbara
Extremely entertaining, clever...
Valerie Osbourn
This book was good, in a medical way. Maybe it was the translation but the writing was at once dry and flowery. I could have skipped the first 3/4 of the book, as it did not add much. The operation itself, as told from the patient was fascinating. Apart from that it was a bit...bland.
Joana
On Crusoe's island (...) I see now that there is little point in crying out against injustice of man or the cruelty of fate, for, if my friend betrays and my brother in arms deceive me, a foreigner whom I never knew comes forward and saves my life.
Emese
Karinthy, always.

Too bad the world won't know his genious for the lack of translations and the impossible task of translating the full depth of his writing.

He is Vonegut and Huxley and Defoe and so much more than all of them combined.
Pete
This book is great, the author writes about his experience living through (though eventually dying from) a brain tumor. Amazing descriptions of brain surgery while conscious. Read this one while my dog was dying of a brain tumor, sad, strange...
Ffiamma
racconto lucido, drammatico e ironico di una malattia e della conseguente operazione. qualche volo pindarico, ma un libro impressionante, letterario, intelligente. piccolo classico della letteratura ungherese anni 30.
(grazie andrea!)
Luke
This book is very interesting. It was a first hand account of a brain tumor surgery. It can be very wordy at some times. I would recommend this book to someone that doesn't know what book to read next.
Maree Kimberley
incredible to read a book about a person's experience of a brain tumour, written back in the 1930s almost 30 years before the word "neuroscience" was first used.
Eve
One of the best books that exist in hungarian language but also one of the hardest to read, the low stars I gave is because the book itself is too cryptic.
Niko
Interesting book, at moments a bit hard to follow author's train of thought. Took me a while to read it, but was well worth the effort.
eleni
Dec 28, 2008 eleni added it
Recommends it for: Laura, Jason
Added to list after reading Oliver Sacks' article in the NY Review of Books. http://www.nybooks.com/articles/21159
Whitaker
A really great book shows us how everything is great and worth to die for
Mona Harrison
Intriguing, insightful, ultimately unsettling.
Valentina
Very cleverly done.
Mary
Oct 18, 2010 Mary marked it as to-read
do ILL
Vare
Vare is currently reading it
Dec 19, 2014
Patti Weissler
Patti Weissler marked it as to-read
Dec 17, 2014
NYRB Classics: A Journey Round My Skull, by Frigyes Karinthy 1 4 Oct 23, 2013 11:39PM
  • Sunflower
  • Pages from the Goncourt Journals
  • Piszkos Fred, a kapitány [Albatrosz könyvek]
  • My Fantoms
  • Metropole
Frigyes Karinthy (25 June 1887 in Budapest – 29 August 1938 in Siófok) was a Hungarian author, playwright, poet, journalist, and translator. He was the first proponent of the six degrees of separation concept, in his 1929 short story, Chains (Láncszemek). Karinthy remains one of the most popular Hungarian writers. He was the father of poet Gábor Karinthy and writer Ferenc Karinthy.
Among the Englis
More about Frigyes Karinthy...
Please Sir! Így írtok ti Tanár úr kérem The Circus / Der Zirkus Voyage to Faremido / Capillaria

“My head ached. I was thinking of the pain, and wondering how it was possible for physical agony to be so intense. I had never imagined that such a torture could be endured. Yet here was I, both conscious and able to think clearly. And not only to think, but to observe the process and make calculations about it. The steel circle round my skull was closing in with faint cracking noises. How much farther could it shrink? I counted the cracking sounds. Since I took the triple dose of pain-killer, there had been two more. …I took out my watch and laid it on the table.

“Give me morphia,” I said in a calm, hostile, icy tone.

“You mustn’t take morphia! You know perfectly well. The very idea! And what are you doing with that watch?”

“You will give me morphia within three minutes.”

They looked me uneasily up and down. No one moved. Three minutes went by. Then ten more. I slipped the watch calmly into my pocket and rose unsteadily to my feet.

“Then take me to the Fiakker Bar. They say it’s a good show, and to-night I want to enjoy myself.”

The others jumped up with a feeling of relief.

I never confessed the secret to anyone, either then or afterwards. I had made up my mind at the end of those three minutes — for the first and last time in my life — that if my headache had not stopped within the next ten I should throw myself under the nearest tram.

It never came out whether I should have kept to my resolve, for the pain left with the suddenness of lighting.”
12 likes