Start by marking “Die Vier Edlen Wahrheiten. Die Grundlage Buddhistischer Praxis” as Want to Read:
Die Vier Edlen Wahrheiten. Die Grundlage Buddhistischer Praxis

Die Vier Edlen Wahrheiten. Die Grundlage Buddhistischer Praxis

In his first sermon at Deer Park, the historical Buddha spoke of the Four Noble Truths of sentient existence:

1. The existence of suffering, or dukkha

2. The cause of suffering (karma)

3. The cessation of suffering

4. The Path that leads to the cessation of suffering

This set of four videos collects a series of lectures on the Four Noble Truths given by His Holiness t

Published (first published 1997)

Be the first to ask a question about Die Vier Edlen Wahrheiten. Die Grundlage Buddhistischer Praxis

Joey
Feb 28, 2016 Joey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Four Noble Truths is a philosophical Buddhist novel written by His Holiness the Dalai Lama (I will call him the Dalai Lama because I am unaware of a better term of respect for this man).
Allow me to explain 4 reasons why I found this novel of particular interest and why you may as well:
1. It was surprisingly in line with philosophical studies
I found what I've spent years to build up and understand was easily referenced by the Dalai Lama. He referenced how everything had a cause and everythin
Mckinley
Very good introduction starting with the 2 basic principles of 1. Interdependent nature of reality and 2. non-violence. Followed by taking refuge and generating bodhichitta. Brief explanations of dependent origination and the 2 truths. All that to set the grounds for understanding the 4 noble truths.

One of the best introductions I have read. Would recommend it as a starter and for ongoing contemplation. The rest is just as good. Clear, concise, shows where to focus attention.

One of my top 10 Bud
Ero
Oct 06, 2010 Ero rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Clearly written and wonderful.

However: why is it that even the most clear, down-to-earth, I-speak-to-you-without-jargon, books on Buddhism, veer directly into lists of rules, concepts-within-concepts, etc?

I'd love to see a beginner's-mind approach, a Buddhism-for-dummies. Maybe there are lots of these, but I've never really seen one. One that starts with the basic ideas...

(life is suffering, attachments cause illusions, illusions are what we build our lives around --> cessation of suffering
Kris Stark
Dec 19, 2013 Kris Stark rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
His holiness is always fun to listen to. This is a translated, edited, and organized account of a set of lectures done by the Dalai Lama in London in... '96 I believe? I'm too lazy to grab the book or Google it, so sorry if that's inaccurate. While his holiness is sometimes difficult to follow for some, this is absolutely a great place to start if one desires a playful yet thorough and concise introduction to Buddhism as-the-Dalai-Lama sees it. Selfless compassion is the name of his game, and he ...more
Dan Geddes
Nov 06, 2013 Dan Geddes rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
For the Dalai Lama the two basic principles of Buddhism are the interdependent nature of reality, and the principle of non-violence. The interdependence of things is a tenet from which many other Buddhist constructs (including the Four Noble Truths) can be derived.

The Dalai Lama introduces each of the Four Noble Truths, drawing on examples both from Buddhist scripture and ordinary experience to support the accuracy of Buddhist philosphy. Buddhism is presented as an antidote to the surfeit of ill
Wewewe
Nov 28, 2015 Wewewe rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not really my cup of tea. Neviem, či je to tým, že to bolo preložené do češtiny, ale dve tretiny knihy som skôr trpela ako čokoľvek iné. Neviem, či tento dalajlama nevie prednášať alebo mal len nedostatok času, no celá prednáška bola chaotická a povedala/vysvetlila veľmi málo. (Myslím, že problém bol skôr časový, pretože druhá prednáška, ktorá bola priložená ako príloha, bola výstižná, k veci a veľmi pekná - preto tri hviezdičky namiesto dvoch.)
Jen3n
Aug 14, 2008 Jen3n rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, religion
Clear, and understandable. Short and to the point. A very useful and enlightening book.

I really don't know what else to say about this. It is what it is. It doean't really need a review: if you know what it is, you don't need me to tell you. If you DON'T know what it is then it probably doesn't matter what I write.

Recommended. If you're into that sort of thing.
Will
Jan 23, 2008 Will marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
bought in SF jan 08
Jeff Song
Clear, concise, compassionate teaching on the Four Noble Truths.
I think this is out of print, but worth picking up if you find it in a used book store.
Ian Patrick
Feb 11, 2015 Ian Patrick rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The only book I will have come the zombie invasion ;)
Daryll Dorman
Jan 07, 2012 Daryll Dorman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012-read
Wow, this book really got me thinking differently. It is a great introduction to a completely different way of thinking about life, pain, death, and how I live. Thanks to a friend for recommending!
Hadji VanderVeer
Jan 17, 2015 Hadji VanderVeer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

I liked how it shows the reader the basis or the path to start Buddhism or whatever religion you choose
Quandingo
Jun 18, 2009 Quandingo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
love so much
Randy Kono
Mar 20, 2008 Randy Kono rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
truth.
Lubomir
Contains great tales to demonstrate the subject but there are also parts that are hard to comprehend for a Westerner.
Siena
Feb 20, 2016 Laura B rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book!
Glenn Brown
Jun 27, 2008 Glenn Brown is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
This is an excellent, elegant, succinct summary of the basic tenets of Buddhism--straight from the mouth of someone who ought to know.
Yolanda Morros
The basics of Buddhism.
Margo
Margo rated it really liked it
Jun 28, 2013
Cookie King
Cookie King rated it really liked it
Dec 21, 2014
Sharon
Sharon rated it it was amazing
May 25, 2014
Tara Mahady-coltey
Tara Mahady-coltey rated it it was amazing
Jun 17, 2012
Nathaniel
Nathaniel rated it really liked it
Feb 05, 2013
Glorian Publishing
Glorian Publishing rated it it was amazing
Mar 29, 2013
Tyghe
Tyghe rated it liked it
Sep 22, 2012
Jake Hendershott
Jake Hendershott rated it it was amazing
Apr 18, 2013
Justin Kear
Justin Kear rated it really liked it
Jun 29, 2015
Will Peck
Will Peck rated it it was amazing
Aug 08, 2014
Peggie
Peggie rated it it was amazing
Jan 08, 2016
  • Touching Peace: Practicing the Art of Mindful Living (Being Peace, #2)
  • Introduction to Tibetan Buddhism
  • Meditation in Action
  • Good Life, Good Death
  • Twenty Jataka Tales
  • The Art of Forgiveness, Lovingkindness, and Peace
  • Bodhisattva Mind: Teachings to Cultivate Courage and Awareness in the Midst of Suffering
Jetsun Jamphel Ngawang Lobsang Yeshe Tenzin Gyatso (born Lhamo Döndrub), the 14th Dalai Lama, is a practicing member of the Gelug School of Tibetan Buddhism and is influential as a Nobel Peace Prize laureate, the world's most famous Buddhist monk, and the leader of the exiled Tibetan government in India.

Tenzin Gyatso was the fifth of sixteen children born to a farming family. He was proclaimed the
More about Dalai Lama XIV...