Start by marking “Die Vier Edlen Wahrheiten. Die Grundlage Buddhistischer Praxis” as Want to Read:
Die Vier Edlen Wahrheiten. Die Grundlage Buddhistischer Praxis

Die Vier Edlen Wahrheiten. Die Grundlage Buddhistischer Praxis

4.23 of 5 stars 4.23  ·  rating details  ·  436 ratings  ·  19 reviews
In his first sermon at Deer Park, the historical Buddha spoke of the Four Noble Truths of sentient existence:

1. The existence of suffering, or dukkha

2. The cause of suffering (karma)

3. The cessation of suffering

4. The Path that leads to the cessation of suffering

This set of four videos collects a series of lectures on the Four Noble Truths given by His Holiness t

Published (first published 1997)

Be the first to ask a question about Die Vier Edlen Wahrheiten. Die Grundlage Buddhistischer Praxis

Mckinley
Very good introduction starting with the 2 basic principles of 1. Interdependent nature of reality and 2. non-violence. Followed by taking refuge and generating bodhichitta. Brief explanations of dependent origination and the 2 truths. All that to set the grounds for understanding the 4 noble truths.

One of the best introductions I have read. Would recommend it as a starter and for ongoing contemplation. The rest is just as good. Clear, concise, shows where to focus attention.

One of my top 10 Bud
Ero
Clearly written and wonderful.

However: why is it that even the most clear, down-to-earth, I-speak-to-you-without-jargon, books on Buddhism, veer directly into lists of rules, concepts-within-concepts, etc?

I'd love to see a beginner's-mind approach, a Buddhism-for-dummies. Maybe there are lots of these, but I've never really seen one. One that starts with the basic ideas...

(life is suffering, attachments cause illusions, illusions are what we build our lives around --> cessation of suffering
Kris Stark
His holiness is always fun to listen to. This is a translated, edited, and organized account of a set of lectures done by the Dalai Lama in London in... '96 I believe? I'm too lazy to grab the book or Google it, so sorry if that's inaccurate. While his holiness is sometimes difficult to follow for some, this is absolutely a great place to start if one desires a playful yet thorough and concise introduction to Buddhism as-the-Dalai-Lama sees it. Selfless compassion is the name of his game, and he ...more
Dan Geddes
For the Dalai Lama the two basic principles of Buddhism are the interdependent nature of reality, and the principle of non-violence. The interdependence of things is a tenet from which many other Buddhist constructs (including the Four Noble Truths) can be derived.

The Dalai Lama introduces each of the Four Noble Truths, drawing on examples both from Buddhist scripture and ordinary experience to support the accuracy of Buddhist philosphy. Buddhism is presented as an antidote to the surfeit of ill
Ian Patrick
The only book I will have come the zombie invasion ;)
Jen3n
Clear, and understandable. Short and to the point. A very useful and enlightening book.

I really don't know what else to say about this. It is what it is. It doean't really need a review: if you know what it is, you don't need me to tell you. If you DON'T know what it is then it probably doesn't matter what I write.

Recommended. If you're into that sort of thing.
Hadji VanderVeer

I liked how it shows the reader the basis or the path to start Buddhism or whatever religion you choose
Daryll Dorman
Wow, this book really got me thinking differently. It is a great introduction to a completely different way of thinking about life, pain, death, and how I live. Thanks to a friend for recommending!
Jeff Song
Clear, concise, compassionate teaching on the Four Noble Truths.
I think this is out of print, but worth picking up if you find it in a used book store.
Glenn Brown
Jun 27, 2008 Glenn Brown is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
This is an excellent, elegant, succinct summary of the basic tenets of Buddhism--straight from the mouth of someone who ought to know.
Lubomir
Contains great tales to demonstrate the subject but there are also parts that are hard to comprehend for a Westerner.
Thapelo Motlogeloa
Love it. It is what it is....if you don't get it well....
Eline Kaufman
The basics of Buddhism - simple and to the point.
Siena
Absolutely lovely :)
Will
Jan 23, 2008 Will marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
bought in SF jan 08
Michelle Everhart
Michelle Everhart marked it as to-read
Jun 01, 2015
Saqib
Saqib is currently reading it
May 30, 2015
Nicole
Nicole marked it as to-read
May 27, 2015
Ryan Strittmatter
Ryan Strittmatter marked it as to-read
May 25, 2015
Janasbooklook
Janasbooklook marked it as to-read
May 19, 2015
DHEERAJ
DHEERAJ marked it as to-read
May 14, 2015
Nicole
Nicole marked it as to-read
May 14, 2015
Wendy
Wendy is currently reading it
May 13, 2015
Courtney
Courtney marked it as to-read
May 13, 2015
  • Good Life, Good Death
  • The Fundamental Wisdom of the Middle Way: Nāgārjuna's Mūlamadhyamakakārikā
  • Buddhism Is Not What You Think: Finding Freedom Beyond Beliefs
  • Buddha Standard Time: Awakening to the Infinite Possibilities of Now
Jetsun Jamphel Ngawang Lobsang Yeshe Tenzin Gyatso (born Lhamo Döndrub), the 14th Dalai Lama, is a practicing member of the Gelug School of Tibetan Buddhism and is influential as a Nobel Peace Prize laureate, the world's most famous Buddhist monk, and the leader of the exiled Tibetan government in India.

Tenzin Gyatso was the fifth of sixteen children born to a farming family. He was proclaimed the
More about Dalai Lama XIV...
The Art of Happiness An Open Heart: Practicing Compassion in Everyday Life The Universe in a Single Atom: The Convergence of Science and Spirituality How to Practice: The Way to a Meaningful Life Freedom in Exile: The Autobiography of the Dalai Lama