Start by marking “Lynnee Breedlove's One Freak Show” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Lynnee Breedlove's One...

Lynn Breedlove

Lynnee Breedlove's One Freak Show

"""Breedlove has talent coming out of her ears."""--Dodie Bellamy, "San Francisco Chronicle"

"""Uninhibited humor lends tender insight and perspective to a gender politics debate that often takes place in a fiercely contentious atmosphere."""--Billy Tania, "The San Francisco Bay Times"

""."..Offers hilarious, gender-bending comedy that will spread much mirth among your LGBT
Published September 1st 2009 by Manic D Press

To ask other readers questions about Lynnee Breedlove's One Freak Show, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lynnee Breedlove's One Freak Show

Lisa M.
Jun 02, 2010 Lisa M. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: play
I had read about this book on Manic D Press's website but wasn't interested in it; I think I feared that it would lose a lot of value because it attempts to move a live show to the page. After Gottlieb mentioned him in an interview I bought the book, and became more happy to do so after he is mentioned in the afterward of Cunt.

I am so happy I bought this! This book is for people who already have basic knowledge about queer/trans issues, as Lynnee explores them in more depth than someone without
Ocean
May 17, 2010 Ocean rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
probably the only trans narrative i've ever read that's totally angst-free, which is an interesting perspective. plus, it's fuckin funny. i wish i could see this live.
The Velveteen
Sep 15, 2010 The Velveteen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This little book’s big impact will continue to grow, along with that of Lynn Breedlove’s previous novel Godspeed. Breedlove’s life is full of drama and scandal and vice and redemption, but what’s important about One Freak Show is the perspective.

Breedlove is the outsider’s outsider – both a beloved figure in several communities and a member of no community on Earth. Think you’ve felt alienated? Next to Lynn Breedlove, the rest of us self-defined weirdos are like lemmings. Try being an angry peac
M.F. Soriano
Basically, this is an attempt to put Breedlove's comedy show into book format, but it doesn't quite manage to totally bridge the gap between the live and printed forms. For example, the cover makes me think that Lynn's puppet skits--in which he uses stuffed animals to act out interactions between various identities within the queer community--are a highlight of the stand-up act, but they come across as one of the weakest parts of the book. There are a couple of songs in the book that come across ...more
Maximilian Wolf
Jul 29, 2010 Maximilian Wolf rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Funny, funny funny funny funny -- hilarious! This is an awesome read and I can tell that Breedlove has grown and learned in his/her journey from freak to freak. I mean, one kind of freak to becoming another kind, or maybe more than one other kind. Basically this is, as I understand it, a compilation of Breedlove's live show, "One Freak Show" and it is awesome. Read it, learn, laugh and think.
Kim
Dec 05, 2011 Kim rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no one
Shelves: gave-up-on
Stopped reading after a few pieces. All I saw was ignorance and arrogance. Gender stereotyping. Reclaiming slurs that aren't Lynn Breedlove's to reclaim. Appropriation. Aimless pieces that lack insight. I can hear this sort of thing for free in the local gay and trans communities, or read it on an endless stream of blogs. Save your money.
Leah Horlick
Sep 14, 2010 Leah Horlick rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: queer
I would love to see Breedlove's standup routine live; I think some of her lines lose their impact on the page. For me, the highlight of this book is the last chapter when she talks about the lives of Del Martin and Phyllis Lyon - a history lesson in American queer activism, delivered in Breedlove's signature heartbreaking and hilarious style.
Lee
Jul 10, 2013 Lee rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed the read, and I enjoyed looking through Lynn's perspective, but I think a lot of the things he was talking about went right over my head. That being said, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to someone. It was quite good.
Allison Floyd
Being Lynn Breedlove, there are of course sparks of brilliance that shine through here, but for the most part, this is clearly a performance piece and doesn't translate to the page. Still worth a gander.
Hannah
Jan 08, 2015 Hannah rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: queer, gender, borrowed
Some of this was kind of funny, and then a lot of it was transmisogynistic and femmephobic and also there was one rape-y skit. Then I looked up Lynn Breedlove and discovered that Tribe 8 plays MichFest, and he support Kael T. Block, known rapist of many femmes, and so yeah byyyyyye.
Kelly
Aug 25, 2010 Kelly rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: memoirs, glbtq
2 and a half stars. While it would probably be great as a performance, the rhythm was a bit off for me as a reader. Some hilarious bits, though.
Adam Hodgins
Jan 09, 2010 Adam Hodgins rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: queer
pretty funny stuff, don't know if I would have liked it as much if I hadn't seen her perform before reading it.
Christopher
Christopher rated it it was amazing
Jun 04, 2014
Zoen
Zoen rated it it was amazing
May 09, 2016
Susan
Susan rated it it was ok
Jan 15, 2017
Alexander
Alexander rated it really liked it
Aug 18, 2013
Andrea
Andrea rated it it was amazing
Mar 26, 2011
Samuel
Samuel rated it it was amazing
Jan 05, 2016
Leila Latex
Leila Latex rated it really liked it
Oct 27, 2009
Zeke
Zeke rated it it was ok
Nov 03, 2011
Tanya
Tanya rated it it was amazing
Apr 03, 2015
Angela
Oct 10, 2009 Angela rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
wanted more!
Megan Maggot
Megan Maggot rated it it was amazing
Sep 02, 2010
John
John rated it really liked it
Jul 24, 2015
Carrie
Carrie rated it liked it
Jul 05, 2012
kimberly
kimberly rated it it was amazing
Oct 22, 2011
Rachel
Rachel rated it liked it
Oct 30, 2011
Therese
Therese rated it really liked it
Oct 04, 2012
Erica
Erica rated it it was amazing
Sep 24, 2011
Tiffany Poremba
Tiffany Poremba rated it liked it
Oct 04, 2010