Start by marking “Satan Speaks!” as Want to Read:
Satan Speaks!

Satan Speaks!

3.96 of 5 stars 3.96  ·  rating details  ·  578 ratings  ·  22 reviews
Anton Szandor LaVey, notorious founder of the Church of Satan, died on October 29, 1997, days after completing his final contribution to "Satan Speaks!"

"Satan Speaks!" collects together sixty unorthodox, paradoxical and humorous essays by the most misunderstood man in America.

Marilyn Manson pays tribute to Anton LaVey in his forward, and Blanche Barton, mother of Xerxes Sa
Published September 1st 1998 by Feral House (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Satan Speaks!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Satan Speaks!

John
Jun 18, 2007 John rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone with a philosophical/religious interest
Essays on religion, modern life, commercialism, and the exquisite gratification attainable from a well-placed sneeze. Reading this, i was quite often scared by the frequency with which i'd be nodding along with agreement only to suddenly realized that what Lavey was saying--and what to which i was agreeing--ran counter to oh, pretty much everything i believe. It's a bit of Nietzsche, a bit of Milton, and, for those uninterested in high literature, lines that could easily slip into a South Park d ...more
Mack
This volume of collected writings and musings by the founder and head "song and dance man" of the church of satan is a nice continuation from "the devil's notebooks". While I don't agree with all of his opinions, it's pretty damn clear that he did require agreement.
What you find in these pages is more of the man behind the smoke and mirrors. I get the sense he still played the false fronts to the end even in some of these writings. Even so, anton the cornball, anton the joker, anton the dirty o
Justin Day
This collection of enlightening essays cover many different subjects, and while I may not always agree with LaVey's opinion, I think I definitely get something out of reading it. I think some people would be put off by the title or the the look of the cover, and that's a sad thing, as it has very little to do with what you would think by looking at it.
Billy Thorton
This book contains a forward by Marlin Manson and an introduction by Blanch Barton. This book contains essays on such things as the God of Assholes and the Third Side: the Uncomfortable Alternative. This book was completed just before LaVeys' death and is a good read for anyone interested in satanic thought.
Shea Mastison
Anton LaVey displays his great wit and unorthodox mind in Satan Speaks! A collection of 60 essays, covering everything from the fetish of selective incontinence to the intentionally homogenizing effects of globalism.

If you're looking for a book on Satanic theology (two words that seem almost dissonant placed together); then you should check out the Satanic Bible. However, if you appreciate a third-side perspective on an eclectic series of topics--this is for you.
Marc D
Whatever notions you have about his Church of Satan and his original "Satanic Bible" LaVey is a great writer. He offers some interesting views of the world which for the most part are not wrong at all. One piece of advice that stuck with me in the collection was too take seriously the things that other people poke fun at and degrade. That has stuck with me for years and has changed how I view people for better and worse.
Jaybird Rex
I got into LaVey's writings waaaay back in high school, and they've been an entirely positive influence on me. This book's been a long time coming and I'm thoroughly satisfied with the selection of essays, particularly the bits on sorcery, invisibility and humourlessness. LaVey would have been a great guy to have a conversation with.
leftover work thrown together by his wife after he died (i believe). a few decent essays and a few funny ones but if he did publish it himself it was clearly just to make a buck. Seems like a bunch of random stuff he never finished.
Chel
Excellent. LaVey was one of the great thinkers of our time and it is a shame that he will never be recognized for it. If you are at all interested in a less common view of the world I highly recommend this book.
Jhef
An amusing collection of short essays written by the Man Himself. Works well as a coffee-table book. Sheds some light on LaVey's thoughts on social taboos and other topics you won't see elsewhere.
Jade
Interesting ideas and perspectives. I love looking into someone else's head and seeing their wheels turn and their clocks tick. This is an amusing light read. I enjoyed it.
Marylin
I've never read anything Anton Levay before this. He seems like a really smart man who found a good way to stick it to Christian Zombism... pretty harmless.
Hayley Smith-Kirkham
I read this when I was 13, I don't remember much of anything from it but remembering it made me laugh so I had to find it.
Jenna
Very interesting and insightful. In this collection of short essays, we are able to venture further into the mind of a genius.
Richard
Jan 21, 2013 Richard rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: EVERYONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Recommended to Richard by: Champion
...FUCKING AWESOME!!!!! Even his wise ass comments through out are filled with intellect and wit. Anton is hilarious.
Josh
great collection of essays and a must read for those who enjoyed the devil's notebook.
Onyx
Not the best of his writings, but even good authors have their off days.
Really good book of very intelligent essays. may be offensive to some i guess
Dustin Reade
If it wasn't supposed to be funny, I didn't get it.
Jesper Sorensen
more from the master of evil
Aaron
Hands down, this is one of the most intriguing books I've read. Filled with the last of Dr. LaVey's writings, we get one last opportunity to gain philisophical wisdom, insight to his passions, and further understanding for what this innovative individual and his legacy, The Church of Satan, stands for.
Lasagnemessiah
Lasagnemessiah marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2015
Mkenzy Bay
Mkenzy Bay marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2015
Ashley
Ashley marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2015
Ashley
Ashley marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2015
William Burns
William Burns marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2015
Ann
Ann marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2015
  • The Philosopher's Secret Fire: A History of the Imagination
  • The Bible Of The Adversary
  • The Book of the Law
  • Sinister Forces-The Nine: A Grimoire of American Political Witchcraft
  • Maths for Mystics: From the Fibonacci Sequence to Luna's Labyrinth to the Golden Section and Other Secrets of Sacred Geometry
  • Sex and Rockets: The Occult World of Jack Parsons
  • The Necronomicon
  • A Brief History of the Paradox: Philosophy and the Labyrinths of the Mind
  • The Illustrated Signs and Symbols Sourcebook
High Priest of the Church of Satan as well as a writer, occultist, musician, and actor.

He was the author of The Satanic Bible and the founder of LaVeyan Satanism, a synthesized system of his understanding of human nature and the insights of philosophers who advocated materialism and individualism, for which he claimed no "supernatural inspiration."

LaVey viewed "Satan" not as a literal deity or e
More about Anton Szandor LaVey...
The Satanic Bible The Satanic Witch The Devil's Notebook The Satanic Rituals Letters From The Devil