Start by marking “Satan Speaks!” as Want to Read:
Satan Speaks!

Satan Speaks!

3.98  ·  Rating Details  ·  672 Ratings  ·  24 Reviews
Anton Szandor LaVey, notorious founder of the Church of Satan, died on October 29, 1997, days after completing his final contribution to "Satan Speaks!"

"Satan Speaks!" collects together sixty unorthodox, paradoxical and humorous essays by the most misunderstood man in America.

Marilyn Manson pays tribute to Anton LaVey in his forward, and Blanche Barton, mother of Xerxes Sa
Published September 1st 1998 by Feral House

To ask other readers questions about Satan Speaks!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Satan Speaks!

John
Jun 18, 2007 John rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone with a philosophical/religious interest
Essays on religion, modern life, commercialism, and the exquisite gratification attainable from a well-placed sneeze. Reading this, i was quite often scared by the frequency with which i'd be nodding along with agreement only to suddenly realized that what Lavey was saying--and what to which i was agreeing--ran counter to oh, pretty much everything i believe. It's a bit of Nietzsche, a bit of Milton, and, for those uninterested in high literature, lines that could easily slip into a South Park d ...more
Mack
Sep 30, 2013 Mack rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This volume of collected writings and musings by the founder and head "song and dance man" of the church of satan is a nice continuation from "the devil's notebooks". While I don't agree with all of his opinions, it's pretty damn clear that he did require agreement.
What you find in these pages is more of the man behind the smoke and mirrors. I get the sense he still played the false fronts to the end even in some of these writings. Even so, anton the cornball, anton the joker, anton the dirty o
Grigori Cross
Jul 20, 2016 Grigori Cross rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I started reading this book equipped only with the knowledge that it was the last of LaVey's published works, and the impression that it was probably a good companion piece to "The Devil's Notebook." I was right, and I was wrong.

Where "The Devil's Notebook" may be described as loosely-structured, "Satan Speaks!" reads like the declassified journal entries of Satan after having gone into seclusion for years. I got the distinct impression while reading this that the outside world kept creeping in,
Justin Day
Sep 04, 2012 Justin Day rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This collection of enlightening essays cover many different subjects, and while I may not always agree with LaVey's opinion, I think I definitely get something out of reading it. I think some people would be put off by the title or the the look of the cover, and that's a sad thing, as it has very little to do with what you would think by looking at it.
Tasha Thibodeau
Aug 20, 2016 Tasha Thibodeau rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a fun book. Anton LaVey should be taken with a grain of salt in my opinion. I think that some of these articles were a little bit ridiculous such as the article on everyone being in wheelchairs in the future and not walking, like okay... or the article about artificial total environments. I think this must have been written with LaVey was getting a little bit on the eccentric side, but this is still a great read. There were more essays where I found myself agreeing with LaVey or having ...more
Billy Thorton
This book contains a forward by Marlin Manson and an introduction by Blanch Barton. This book contains essays on such things as the God of Assholes and the Third Side: the Uncomfortable Alternative. This book was completed just before LaVeys' death and is a good read for anyone interested in satanic thought.
Shea Mastison
Jan 28, 2014 Shea Mastison rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Anton LaVey displays his great wit and unorthodox mind in Satan Speaks! A collection of 60 essays, covering everything from the fetish of selective incontinence to the intentionally homogenizing effects of globalism.

If you're looking for a book on Satanic theology (two words that seem almost dissonant placed together); then you should check out the Satanic Bible. However, if you appreciate a third-side perspective on an eclectic series of topics--this is for you.
Marc D
Jul 12, 2012 Marc D rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Whatever notions you have about his Church of Satan and his original "Satanic Bible" LaVey is a great writer. He offers some interesting views of the world which for the most part are not wrong at all. One piece of advice that stuck with me in the collection was too take seriously the things that other people poke fun at and degrade. That has stuck with me for years and has changed how I view people for better and worse.
Jaybird Rex
Oct 12, 2011 Jaybird Rex rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I got into LaVey's writings waaaay back in high school, and they've been an entirely positive influence on me. This book's been a long time coming and I'm thoroughly satisfied with the selection of essays, particularly the bits on sorcery, invisibility and humourlessness. LaVey would have been a great guy to have a conversation with.
Sep 04, 2009 Sarah rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
leftover work thrown together by his wife after he died (i believe). a few decent essays and a few funny ones but if he did publish it himself it was clearly just to make a buck. Seems like a bunch of random stuff he never finished.
Rachel Raven
Dec 01, 2009 Rachel Raven rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent. LaVey was one of the great thinkers of our time and it is a shame that he will never be recognized for it. If you are at all interested in a less common view of the world I highly recommend this book.
Jhef
Jun 10, 2010 Jhef rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An amusing collection of short essays written by the Man Himself. Works well as a coffee-table book. Sheds some light on LaVey's thoughts on social taboos and other topics you won't see elsewhere.
Jade
Oct 14, 2013 Jade rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting ideas and perspectives. I love looking into someone else's head and seeing their wheels turn and their clocks tick. This is an amusing light read. I enjoyed it.
Marylin
I've never read anything Anton Levay before this. He seems like a really smart man who found a good way to stick it to Christian Zombism... pretty harmless.
Hayley Smith-Kirkham
I read this when I was 13, I don't remember much of anything from it but remembering it made me laugh so I had to find it.
Jenna
Jul 30, 2011 Jenna rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very interesting and insightful. In this collection of short essays, we are able to venture further into the mind of a genius.
Richard
Jan 21, 2013 Richard rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: EVERYONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Recommended to Richard by: Champion
...FUCKING AWESOME!!!!! Even his wise ass comments through out are filled with intellect and wit. Anton is hilarious.
Josh
Sep 15, 2008 Josh rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
great collection of essays and a must read for those who enjoyed the devil's notebook.
Onyx
Aug 05, 2013 Onyx rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Not the best of his writings, but even good authors have their off days.
May 14, 2008 Sarah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really good book of very intelligent essays. may be offensive to some i guess
Dustin Reade
If it wasn't supposed to be funny, I didn't get it.
Jesper Sorensen
Aug 03, 2011 Jesper Sorensen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: satan