Start by marking “Paradise Tales: And Other Stories” as Want to Read:
Blank-133x176
Paradise Tales: And Ot...

Geoff Ryman

Paradise Tales: And Other Stories

3.53 of 5 stars 3.53  ·  rating details  ·  53 ratings  ·  12 reviews
Geoff Ryman writes about the other and leaves us dissected in the process. His stories are set in recognizable places--London, Cambodia, tomorrow--and feature men and women caught in recognizable situations (or technologies) and not sure which way to turn. They, we, should obviously choose what's right. But what if that's difficult? What will we do? What we should, or . . ...more
Published July 26th 2011 by Small Beer Press (first published November 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Paradise Tales, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Paradise Tales

martha
The first Ryman book I read was his novel The Child Garden, which was quite a mashup of fascinating ideas and bits that were quite difficult to follow. This book is similar, though the two are generally segregated into different stories. It did well at making me Feel Feelings and Think Thoughts about the worldbuilding, which is my favorite kind of scifi.

The things I loved the most in this collection: the exploration of age and aging in the future; the intersection of aging with technology; inter
Rrain
I fought long and hard with myself about what to rate this one, because the ones I loved I really loved (like "Pol Pot's Beautiful Daughter", which I'd read before), but the ones that didn't work as well for me I tended to forget almost immediately. So really, I settled in the middle. (Though if there was ever a time for a rating between three and four, this is it.)
Christina
An excellent compilation of Ryman's short-form writing. He's primarily a fantasy and science-fiction writer who writes in a wide variety of styles - you wouldn't necessarily guess that the same author wrote any of these. I happened to like every story in this book, personally, but with the variety that's included, even if one story doesn't work for a particular reader, there are others that will.
This is a mixed collection of primarily science fiction, fantasy,ghost stories with one exception, "K is for Kosovo." I found the Cambodia stories to be the best of the bunch, especially Pol Pot's Beautiful daughter. The writing style is engaging but some of the stories, Omnisexual for example, were weak and seemed contrived; however, the strong stories compensate enough to make this book worth reading.
Kayla Manuel
I didn't care for most of the stories in "Paradise Tales." There were a couple that were quite nice ("Pol Pot's Beautiful Daughter" and "Days of Wonder", to name a few), but unfortunately the mediocre outweighs the good in this collection.
Corinne
Like any book of short stories, this book has its highs and lows. Among the highs is the beautifully evocative ghost story "Pol Pot's Daughter". I only found one of the stories unreadable - "Days of Wonder" which I think had more to do with my aversion to tales narrated by animals - or in this case animal/human hybrids. Overall not one of my favorites, but "Pol Pot's Daughter" is definitely worth a look.
Michael O'Donnell
Writing style was fine. The diversity of the stories kept me going. Birthdays and Omnisexual were pretty week. Pol Pots Beautiful Daughter was the standout. K is for Kosovo I did not like. I could not see the sense in its creation. Too many weak stories for me to rate it any higher.
Shan
While a few of these stories get bogged down in the details of their worlds, I enjoyed the collection as a whole. Ryman's stories are imaginative, creepy, and often bittersweet. The ghost story "Pol Pot's Beautiful Daughter" is worth the price of admission on its own.
Mike
Sorry, but I can't finish this one. It is just too weird, strange and generally not fun to read.
Shannon Appelcline
I only read a handful of stories in this book. Pol Pot's Beautiful Daughter is great, but nothing else was good enough for me to want to keep reading.
Bob Mcconnaughey
A very mixed collection. Giving 4 stars on the basis of the last two "Cambodia" tales which were terrific, esp. Pol Pot's Beautiful Daughter.
Derek Allard
Just not my cup o'tea. Writing is very flat and none of the stories grabbed me.
Addicted to Books
Addicted to Books marked it as to-read
Jan 29, 2015
Meagan Proctor Kavouras
Meagan Proctor Kavouras marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2015
Kevin
Kevin is currently reading it
Dec 24, 2014
Stacey
Stacey is currently reading it
Sep 23, 2014
Arjun Kanjiya
Arjun Kanjiya marked it as to-read
Sep 20, 2014
Terence
Terence marked it as to-read
Sep 04, 2014
Andrew
Andrew marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2014
Hope Dee
Hope Dee marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2014
Shane Dougall
Shane Dougall marked it as to-read
May 27, 2014
Aarti
Aarti marked it as to-read
May 12, 2014
Hikmet Badrkhan
Hikmet Badrkhan marked it as to-read
May 08, 2014
Coralie
Coralie marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Geoffrey Charles Ryman (born 1951) is a writer of science fiction, fantasy and slipstream fiction. He was born in Canada, and has lived most of his life in England.

His science fiction and fantasy works include The Warrior Who Carried Life (1985), the novella The Unconquered Country (1986) (winner of the British Science Fiction Award and the World Fantasy Award), and The Child Garden (1989) (winner
More about Geoff Ryman...
Air Was The Child Garden 253 The King's Last Song

“In a sense who you are has always been a story that you told to yourself. Now your self is a story that you tell to others.” 9 likes
“I'm in the back of a limousine with Charlie Chaplin and it’s 1928. Charlie is beautiful; his body language seems to skip, and reel and rhyme, heartbreaking and witty at the same time. It seems to promise a better world.” 5 likes