Start by marking “Nieve” as Want to Read:
Nieve

Nieve

2.81 of 5 stars 2.81  ·  rating details  ·  59 ratings  ·  11 reviews
Strange things are happening in town, but only Nieve seems to notice that something is up. But when two strangers come to town, trailing night along behind them, and people, including Nieve's best friend Malcolm, begin to disappear, Nieve knows that she must do something. She must venture into the Black City to uncover the mystery and save her town.
Published April 14th 2010 by Biblioasis (first published April 30th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Nieve, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nieve

Shonna Froebel
Nieve lives with her parents in a small town near a larger city. Her parents are professional weepers, hired by those experiencing loss or sadness. Her grandmother follows the old ways and has taught them to Nieve. When some of the people in town disappear, including Nieve's best friend Malcolm, she gets worried. Nieve finds strange weeds that start to grow everywhere and a duo, Wormius and Ashe, who arrive in town trailing a cloud of darkness. The darkness spreads everywhere and more and more p ...more
Leanna
This book is a wonderful tale of dark and magical creatures! Nieve had a bit of a Coraline/Mirror Mask-ish vibe, with the Black City, full of weird beings. I love how the book starts off fairly normally, with just a few little hints of oddness, and then slowly things get creepier and creepier until they're fully scary.

The illustrations were perfect as well- so disturbing, but so good.

I really enjoyed this, and especially liked Nieve's voice as the narrator. She was honest, but also could be abs
Ella
Really good book. Keeps you in a kinda of mysterious setting where something could come out at you from any direction. Great book to give you the creeps! :P
Sam Musher
Mar 30, 2010 Sam Musher rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Sam by: review copy sent by publisher
Magic is most interesting when it works like a physical weapon: the character is given it (or learns she has it), and has to learn how to use it. It behaves according to rules, and she has to learn those rules in order to use it effectively. In a historical novel, you never see a character pick up a sword for the first time and “just know” exactly how to best the powerful enemy. So why does this happen so often with fantasy magic? (Full review at http://www.parenthetical.net/2010/03/30/nieve-by- ...more
melissa1lbr
This was a creepy fun story with lots and lots of crazy odd creatures. In fact, I felt there were a few too many with too few explanations. While I enjoyed the overall story and how it played out, I felt like I was in the dark (literally) about some of the fantasy elements. Definitely for those who prefer creepy stories. Full review at One Librarian's Book Reviews.
Polly
Good premise, but poorly explained and executed. I almost gave up halfway, but thought I'd might as well see if it got better, which it didn't. The illustrations are extremely cool and atmospheric, and a few are downright scary (which is why I call this book YA; the story isn't, but I've known a few 8 to 10-year-olds who would enthusiastically pick this up and then be terrified by some of the pictures).
Jessy
Not terrible, just not what I was expecting. Nieve is younger than the description and YALSA review led me to assume, and the feel of the book was much more Coraline and less, for example, Holly Black.
I may pick it back up later.
Dylan Dao
The darkness in this book is overwhelming, fascinating, and amazing all at the same time. Terry Griggs will suck you into this dark twisted world with his writing. One of the best books I've ever read.
Rachel Seigel
The story was original, and the writing was decent, but sometimes seemed a bit too descriptive. Overall a good read. Not stellar, but interesting enough to catch kids.
Hayden
Haunting, creepy, cool. Charactors weren't to good, but the book was overall pretty good.
Stacey Mclaren
Weird book but still wanted to keep reading.
Lys
Neve
Neve added it
May 15, 2014
Kristen
Kristen marked it as to-read
May 01, 2014
Alicia
Alicia marked it as to-read
Jan 20, 2014
Becca
Becca marked it as to-read
Jan 14, 2014
Lala
Lala marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Cat's Eye Corner (Cat's Eye Corner, #1) The Silver Door (Cat's Eye Corner, #2) Thought You Were Dead Invisible Ink (Cat's Eye Corner, #3) Rogues' Wedding