Blank-133x176
Granta 120: Medicine

Granta: The Magazine of New...

Granta 120: Medicine (Granta #120)

3.85 of 5 stars 3.85  ·  rating details  ·  94 ratings  ·  20 reviews
Clinicians have spent centuries perfecting the art of tending broken bodies. What happens when their medicine fails us? Where do we turn for healing of the body and the mind? In this wide-ranging collection of essays, memoir, poetry and photography, Granta magazine explores the mind of the physician, the plight of the patient and the maladies that bring us together. From a...more
Published August 1st 2012 by Granta Magazine

Insoo
This is the first time I felt compelled to finish the whole Granta volume. I can't really explain why but from the first story that I picked up, I knew I would enjoy the language and the writing in this particular volume. Again, this hasn't happened to me before (and I have about 5 tomes of the Granta lying around). I can't say if there is anything truly extraordinary about it or if it just happens to appeal to me personally, but I loved how unifying and powerful the theme of medicine...more
Catherine
A mixed bag, as usual, but that's part of the appeal.

I smiled at the return of Robert Merrivale, and am looking forward to Rose Tremain's new novel, but on the whole it was the non-fiction which appealed most.Particularly moving were Linda H Davies' Randy and Mummy at the Drawbridge and M J Hyland's Hardy Animal. I was impressed by the practising doctors' writing: (for which read jealous of such polymaths!) Ike Anya's People Don’t Get Depressed in Nigeria and Terrence Holt's The Perfect Code. O...more
Jamie
I received this subscription again from a friend for my birthday and this was the first edition. Oof. An entire analysis of "Medicine" also means an entire analysis of death and mortality. While it might be cliche to say this, it was pretty depressing. The story on the woman struggling with acceptance of her MS was powerful but achingly sad. The poems, while lovely, were dark. Even the first story, which was excellently crafted, seemed tinged with sadness. At many instances, I had to put it down...more
Karan
A melange of essays and fictional pieces centered around everything medical: diseases, death, patients and clinicians that I found to be continuously surprising. While they are punctuated by (almost) incomprehensible but curious little poems and evocative artwork, one's bound to find wrapped up in atleast one of the many longfiction/non-fiction accounts here.

For me the beginning piece by Chris Adrian titled Grand Rounds was the best. Written like a lecture from a dais by a voluble, jet-lagged h...more
Kirsten
I've long been a fan of the idea of Granta, but have not until now found an issue that really spoke to me. As soon as I saw that this was the theme of the issue, I knew I was going to love it, and I had the pleasure of being right. The first story was pitch perfect, and it set the stage beautifully for what followed. Really wonderful.
Andy
This is my second volume of Granta, especially close to my heart this time. A somewhat mixed bag, though the best stories are very good.

I personally liked Hardy Animal (as a personal account of living with MS), The Cutting (for a sense of the macabre), and Night (for the atmosphere and strangeness). It was the last two stories that really had power though, for the fiction of Philanthropy and the emotion of Randy and Mummy at the Drawbridge (probably my favourite in the collection).

The only dud...more
Kenny
First introductions to:

1. Chris Adrian (one slight mention of a boyfriend, and my head was sent into a tailspin....the rest of the story is a bit off-kilter too, moreso as it describes a moment when one cannot be, giving a pubic presentation....then narrator can't seem to focus well enough due to the trauma that had just happened....the story continues to reel out of control by the end)

2. Gish Jen (intrigued by two Asian-American brothers, intergenerational themes, the mother clutching at her pu...more
Victoria Grigg
There were several startlingly good stories/extracts in this anthology. M. J. Hyland's memoir about her multiple sclerosis was outstanding.
Susan Emmet
Another sterling copy of Granta, this time dedicated to medicine. Viewpoints include those of doctor, patient, other sorts of healers, set in a host of places - Nigeria, New York, England.
Was especially struck by Chris Adrian's "Grand Rounds," MJ Hyland's "Hardy Animal," and the collection of Victorian and modern photographs from Brad Feuerhelm's work/archive.
So many sights trained on the what works - and fails miserably - in modern medicine and other parts of life.
Lane Anderson
Medicine was one of my least favourite Grantas so far. That's not to say it wasn't good, but it didn't measure up to the standard of greatness I have come to expect with every issue.

Usually the stories and poems are related to the theme in more creative and subtle ways. But in this issue, nearly every piece is about disease. The lack of diversity in subject matter made it a sludgy read for me. Needless to say, it's still worth picking up; it's Granta.
Christianne Hedtke
Favourites from this issue: Chris Adrian's "Grand Rounds" (very funny / effed up) and Suzanne Rivecca's "Philanthropy" was amazing. There are also a few great first-person essays about dealing with heart attacks, MS, and Linda H. Davis's very straightforward account of dying of non-Hotchkin's lymphoma while worrying about her special-needs son's future. ("Randy and Mummy at the Drawbridge."
Chris

I liked Semezdin Mehmedinović's contemplation of the mundane and his mortality. Suzanne Rivecca's amazing piece that captures the gulf between the social worker and the do-gooder socialite, and the unpredictable measure of that gulf. And James Lasdun's Blueberries presented to us as we end our blueberry season here. These stood out for me.
Every story took me places where I rarely go.
Lawrence
Good issue that offers perspectives about medicine and illness from physicians and patients alike. From Chris Adrian's story of a physician falling apart under a lecture to Linda Davis' expression of her fears and hopes for her autistic son as she considers her own mortality, I was caught up in the narratives, sometimes uncomfortably, but always compelled to read on.
Phil
Fiction and non-fiction stories/poems - physical ailments, mental ailments. For this layperson, I found this to be an enjoyable read (except for the first story, which I couldn't get into).
Amy
A thoughtfully curated collection of writing around the theme 'medicine' including short stories, moving essays and a fascinating collection of photographs. Not a dud piece in there.
Mr. Davies
Definitely a couple of standout stories -- I especially liked the non-fiction entries by Hyland and Medmedinovic.
Madhusree
A rag bag collection but all of it worth a read-so far-my favorite is People don't get depressed in Nigeria
Sarah westcott
This is a corker. The human condition writ large from many perspectives. I loved it
Lera
Great writing throughout this one
Mediocre, disappointing.
Lee
Lee marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2014
Chrisanthi
Chrisanthi marked it as to-read
May 21, 2014
NancyHelen
NancyHelen marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Granta magazine was founded in 1889 by students at Cambridge University as The Granta, a periodical of student politics, student badinage and student literary enterprise, named after the river that runs through the town. In this original incarnation it had a long and distinguished history, publishing the early work of many writers who later became well known, including A. A. Milne, Michael Frayn,...more
More about Granta: The Magazine of New Writing...
Granta 117 Granta 112: Pakistan Granta 123: The Best of Young British Novelists 4 Granta 115: The F Word Granta 97: Best of Young American Novelists 2