Start by marking “Sex, Lies and Handlebar Tape: The Remarkable Life of Jacques Anquetil, the First Five-Times Winner of the Tour de France” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Sex, Lies and Handleba...

Paul Howard

Sex, Lies and Handlebar Tape is the astonishing biography of French cycling star Jacques Anquetil. For the first time since his death in 1987, it reveals the extraordinary truth behind the legend, the man and the cyclist.

His list of 'firsts' alone makes him worthy of a place in the cycling pantheon: the first man to win the Tour de France five times; the first man to win a
Published April 1st 2011 by Mainstream Digital (first published November 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Sex, Lies and Handlebar Tape, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sex, Lies and Handlebar Tape

Akin
Jun 28, 2016 Akin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sports, biography
Brisk, abbreviated and somewhat misleading biographer of professional cyclist and curmudgeon, Jacques Anquetil, the first TdF 'Fiver'. Misleading in the sense that only 2 chapters - about an 8th of the book - explore his highly unconventional private life. (In sum: he nicked his first wife from his doctor, bore a child with her daughter - his stepdaughter - because his wife had sterilised herself before they met, then formed a relationship with his stepson's ex-partner. Which is to say, his wife ...more
Nick Sweeney
Feb 18, 2013 Nick Sweeney rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Jacques Anquetil became a legend when he became the first rider to win the Tour de France five times. In doing so, he set a benchmark that was (to him) rather meaningless, just left it behind him as something for other cyclists to strive for. He could probably have won it six times, or even seven (as Lance Armstrong did, for a few years, anyhow). This book talks about the man and his considerable achievements on the bike, and the life he lived off it.

He was a paradox: he pushed himself hard, but
jon
Mar 14, 2013 jon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I so enjoyed this book, but I'm a rider and valued he history of the sport. Anquetil was an intriguing and unique character, not a model in many ways, but certainly interesting! Howard's treatment appears blanched, yet sympathetic. I think in the end Anquetil's physical and cycling achievements warrant the read and cover a multitude of sins; a very interesting read for fans and participants of the sport of cycling!
Tom
Feb 12, 2013 Tom rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fascinating subject, written eloquently. Who lives like this?! The story is outlandish, but apparently accurate. It appears to be well-researched. Accounts of racing were fun. While I respect the skill of the author, I found his style to present a rather laborious read. Like a flavourfull, if relatively tough steak. A pleasure to the taste, but difficult to digest.
James
May 17, 2012 James rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great book about one of the first "patrons" of the peloton from the golden age of cycling. This book is a must for Francophiles who are cycling fans. Anquetil was a true Gourmand who had the ability to convert cholesterol into the energy to win.
Mark Karnowski
Jan 05, 2017 Mark Karnowski rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Maybe it should have been titled Handlebar Tape, Lies and Sex, since it was more about racing and racing rivalries than anything else. If the author is correct, Poulidor and Anquetil became card playing buddies after Anquetil retired from racing. Who knew?
Harriet Dickerson
3.5 Stars: A well-written biography of a flawed hero

3.5 Stars. Not usually my kind of read, but I found myself drawn in to learn about the mettle & quirks that make up such a man. I would recommend this especially for cyclists or those interested in the history of cycling in Europe. There is less than I'd hoped about Anquetil's personal life and what led him to be the kind of man he was. However, I found the racing segments of his life (probably ~3/4 of the book) to be quite fascinating with
Ross
Jan 16, 2012 Ross rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This was more of a biography about the cyclist and what he accomplished than it was a story about the races and competition in the races. I like cycling stories that talk about the strategy within a race and how the racer felt as he was climbing the mountain or struggling to catch the group. Anquetil may have had a kind of messed up faimly life but it wasn't that fascinating.
A. J.
Apr 05, 2015 A. J. rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good read. I had no idea Anquetil lead such a sordid life. I would ideally not like to pass judgement but his 12 year affair with his hi step daughter condoned by his wife whom he left to marry his stepson's wife... The author does a nice job of mixing cycling (my interest) with the life choices of Anquetil. The writing got dry at times and I found my self hoping it would wrap up. 3.5 stars.
Daniel
Dec 29, 2011 Daniel rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I'm not sure how a story about one of the greatest cyclists of all time, with one of the most scandal filled personal lives, could come across as boring but credit to Paul Howard for making it so dull.
Jeff Rastatter
Jeff Rastatter rated it really liked it
Jan 06, 2013
Richard
Richard rated it liked it
Jan 28, 2015
Tombo
Tombo rated it it was ok
Dec 21, 2015
Trent
Trent rated it really liked it
Nov 16, 2016
Chris Dikes
Chris Dikes rated it it was amazing
Dec 26, 2014
Cb
Cb rated it did not like it
Nov 07, 2013
John MacLeod
John MacLeod rated it it was amazing
Feb 18, 2017
Carl
Carl rated it really liked it
Dec 03, 2014
Douglas L Patterson
Douglas L Patterson rated it liked it
Feb 10, 2017
Jon Skaftason
Jon Skaftason rated it it was amazing
Aug 20, 2016
Adam Wilson
Adam Wilson rated it really liked it
Jul 02, 2016
Sławek Karwasz
Sławek Karwasz rated it liked it
May 10, 2014
Stewart Kinnon
Stewart Kinnon rated it really liked it
Feb 11, 2017
Sam New
Sam New rated it liked it
Apr 29, 2016
Tim Stretton
Tim Stretton rated it it was amazing
Oct 03, 2012
Dr S.J.Culliford
Dr S.J.Culliford rated it really liked it
Jan 23, 2017
William Haynes
William Haynes rated it liked it
Sep 13, 2016
Kyle Boyle
Kyle Boyle rated it it was amazing
Sep 24, 2014
matt
matt rated it liked it
Oct 27, 2012
Ryan
Ryan rated it liked it
Apr 03, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • In Search of Robert Millar: Unravelling the Mystery Surrounding Britain's Most Successful Tour De France Cyclist
  • We Were Young and Carefree: The Autobiography of Laurent Fignon
  • The Death of Marco Pantani: A Biography
  • Put Me Back On My Bike: In Search of Tom Simpson
  • A Dog in a Hat: An American Bike Racer's Story of Mud, Drugs, Blood, Betrayal, and Beauty in Belgium
  • Boy Racer: My Journey to Tour de France Record-Breaker
  • Road to Valor: A True Story of WWII Italy, the Nazis, and the Cyclist Who Inspired a Nation
  • Flying Scotsman: Cycling to Triumph Through My Darkest Hours
  • Riis
  • 23 Days in July: Inside the Tour de France and Lance Armstrong's Record-Breaking Victory
  • Eddy Merckx: The Cannibal
  • From Lance to Landis: Inside the American Doping Controversy at the Tour de France
  • Racing Through the Dark
  • Domestique: The Real-life Ups and Downs of a Tour Pro
  • A Race for Madmen: The History of the Tour de France
  • Rough Ride: Behind the Wheel With a Pro Cyclist
  • Between the Lines: The Autobiography
  • Tour de Lance: The Extraordinary Story of Lance Armstrong's Fight to Reclaim the Tour de France
Paul Howard is a journalist with The Irish Times on Saturday.
Howard is best known as the author of the paper's Ross O'Carroll-Kelly columns and has written a series of books based on the the character of Ross.

Howard is the former chief sportswriter for the Sunday Tribune, and a former Irish Sports Journalist of the Year. He has written several nonfiction books, including The Joy, an account of lif
More about Paul Howard...

“Anquetil won the Grand Prix de Lugano seven times, I think,’ says Brunel. ‘After he’d won it six times, the organiser said to him it would be better if he didn’t come back next year, as he was finding it difficult to get sponsors because Anquetil kept winning. Then, in the winter, he changed his mind and said he could come after all, as he was a star, an important rider, but if he were to let Baldini win, it wouldn’t be a bad thing. “I’ve not got anything against you. It’s for the good of cycling,” the organiser explained. Anquetil said, “OK, but you have to pay me at the start. I don’t want to wait around after to be paid and have to face the journalists. And it’s double the normal rate. If not, I won’t come.” It was all agreed, but when he arrived he went to see Baldini and said, “Listen, don’t say anything to the organisers, but if you want, I’ll let you win today, but you must give me your appearance money.” Baldini agreed and gave him the money up front, so he took all three fees, and he went and won the race. Just for a laugh. It was just a game for him. He got on really well with Baldini. They were very good friends. In fact, Baldini is still a good friend of Jeanine. It wasn’t about the money for Anquetil. It was about having fun. He just wanted to have fun.” 0 likes