Start by marking “The Half-Stitched Amish Quilting Club” as Want to Read:
The Half-Stitched Amish Quilting Club

The Half-Stitched Amish Quilting Club (The Half-Stitched Amish Quilting Club #1)

3.85  ·  Rating Details ·  1,744 Ratings  ·  312 Reviews
Stitch by stitch, six unlikely lives are transformed with a little help from an Amish widow's quilting classes. . .and the healing hand of God.
Published April 1st 2012 by Barbour Publishing (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Half-Stitched Amish Quilting Club, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Half-Stitched Amish Quilting Club

Loretta
Aug 01, 2012 Loretta rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I avoid Amish fiction, and yet I let myself get sucked into checking this one out because the cover intrigued me. An Amish fiction book that does not feature a young, pretty Amish girl gazing plaintively across rolling fields? Do tell.

Well, Half-stitched is certainly an appropriate description for the book and it reminded me of one of the biggest reasons I avoid Amish fiction...the writers often coast on the popularity of the genre rather than actually doing the crazy task of writing a good book
April Wood
Aug 27, 2013 April Wood rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Six loose threads and an Amish widow come together when a woman loses her husband and decides to teach a quilting class to make a little extra money as to not feel like a burden to her family. The group of people couldn't possibly be anymore opposite... but does God have a greater purpose for this group other than to learn how to quilt?

There is Star, birth name Beatrice, she hides behind a black hoodie and dreams of one day being a star. Star's life at home is rough, and she is mistrustful of me
Leslie
Jul 22, 2012 Leslie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I wanted to like this book - I really did. I love the premise, and thought that it would be like my beloved Yada Yada Prayer Group series. Alas, it wasn't. The writing was stilted, and the author seemed out of touch with how young people speak. I finally set it aside without finishing it after reading about Pam bemoaning her "spoiled blouse". No thirty-something housewife I know talks like that. I couldn't suspend disbelief any longer & couldn't justify the time spent reading it.

I will confe
Melissa
Jun 19, 2012 Melissa rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: book-club-picks
The only reason I finished this book is because we will be discussing it for book club and I wanted to give it a full chance to redeem itself.
There was zero character depth. They all bled together into the author's voice rather than having their own language and personality. (Honestly, what dark and very angry teenage girl calls her father a "mangy cur" and is extremely polite to others?) It was unbelievably ridiculous.
And the extent of the Amish perspective of the book was limited to things lik
Melissa
I checked this out because it looked like it might be a good book with a humorous twist. It wasn't really very humorous but it was an ok book.

There are several characters and you get to read parts of each chapter from each of the characters veiwpoint. Even with knowing there viewpoints, none of the characters really struck home with me, they just all came off as complainers.

Emma is the Amish widow who starts a weekly quilting class to raise money so she won't be a burdon on her family. She is a
Calisto
The first "Christian Fiction" book I read was by mistake. Once I realized what I had, my expectations (unfairly) lowered. Now, even though that book didn't work for me in terms of editing (unnecessarily choppy), I was blown away by the intensity and overall storytelling. Which led me to request another Barbour book. This time, I knew exactly what I was getting into and my expectations were very high.

The cover won me over. I'm not a fan of Amish books or quilting, but I love the idea of misfits t
Florence Millo
May 25, 2013 Florence Millo rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I just couldn't finish this book. The characters were stereotypes and the plot was contrived and unbelievable.
LORI CASWELL
Jan 16, 2016 LORI CASWELL rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2012
After the death of her husband Amish widow, Emma Yoder has become quite dependent on her family to help make ends meet financially. To ease some of that burden she decides to start teaching a quilting class. She posts notices and puts an ad in the local newspaper. She is very surprised as the students show up for their first class.

A young widower with his infant daughter is hoping to find someone to finish a quilt his wife started for their daughter before she died.

A couple in marriage counselin
Julie Barrett
Jan 14, 2012 Julie Barrett rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Half-Stitched Amish Quilting Club by Wanda E. Brunstetter
Emma hopes to share her love of quilting as she teaches strangers how to quilt.
Since her husband had passed away over a year ago, her daughter and all the
children had sent money back home to help with the finances. Emma hoped to supplement
the income by selling her quilting items. She placed an ad around town and got
one that wanted to learn. She outlined what she'd need to teach them.
The way the author introduces the people who will be
Jodie
Emma comes up with a plan to host a six week quilting class in order to help supplement her income. When her students show up to the first class, she begins to wonder what she got herself in to. A unhappily married couple, an out of jail biker, a widowed father, a pastor's wife, and a very troubled young lady make for a very unusual quilting class.

I just love reading Wanda E. Brunstetter books. Whenever I begin one of her books, I just know it's going to be a sweet, easy read. And this one certa
Melinda
Jul 02, 2014 Melinda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It was so nice to finally read a book that doesn't talk about sex and every other word is cussing. I really enjoyed reading this book. The cover is what caught my eye. The story of an Amish woman Emma decides to make some extra money so she doesn't feel like a burden on her family since her husband Ivan passed away. She decides to give quilting classes. By doing so she comes across a diverse group of characters who are taking the class for various reasons. Star a young girl who was given classes ...more
Skari
Jul 28, 2012 Skari rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Well, this was a Godawful book. I was looking for an easy, cozy read, but not one whose plots made me want to throw the book into the nearest bonfire. The big reveal three-fourths into the book? Come on now, that's just lazy. Now, don't get me wrong, I like the occasional Hallmark movie that I know the plot of before I even turn the movie on, but the characters here were just insultingly stupid and Star and Jan, the most 'hardened' of the characters, rang so false it made my teeth hurt. There we ...more
Kathy
Honestly, I wouldn't have rated this one all that highly; the writing could have been a little better, etc., but the characters and their stories have stuck in my mind more completely than some better written works have done. When Emma Yoder decided to earn a little extra money by giving a quilting class, she never expected the motly crew that signed up for it. From the couple on the verge of divorce, to the rebellious teenager, to the tattooed biker, to the black preacher's wife, to the single ...more
Trudy E
Oct 03, 2012 Trudy E rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I am not a huge fan of alot of dialogue in the books I read, and this had more than I'd have liked to see. I found it interesting that the story took place in an area I became familiar with as my daughter attended college in Mishawaka. I wondered about some things that I found may not have been likely for Emma's character to know.... like how much light might be needed to take the "class photo". This is my first book for this author.
Arlene
Mar 26, 2015 Arlene rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: novels
I needed a soothing book after reading Lords of Discipline and this book fit the bill. There are three books in this series and I checked them all out from the library. A sweet story of an Amish widow who teaches a quilting class to an unlikely group of students.
Kathy
May 21, 2012 Kathy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
OK. I had trouble with the quilting class and all the needy people. Seemed unrealtistic. A little to sappy for me.
Susan
Mar 01, 2015 Susan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio-book
Loved this book, great series. I love stories of the Amish and the quilting part was great too. The characters were exceptional.
Nancy Replogle
Jun 19, 2015 Nancy Replogle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Inspiring

Loved it
A feel good story about how God can change our lives and how he works in mysterious ways.
Mary Lou
Nov 23, 2012 Mary Lou rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Somewhat dreadful, but I couldn't stop reading it. Morbid curiosity. This book is trying too hard to be relevant.
Linda Dudgeon
Sep 02, 2013 Linda Dudgeon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Although a bit "sugary", this book still dealt with real problems. The characters were interesting to follow. The book was a nice break from heavier reading.
Elaine
Sep 28, 2012 Elaine rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
OK. Predictable. Unbelievable. My eyes hurt from rolling back in my head. Maybe I live too close to Shipshewana where real people live. Sorry.
Marilyn
Didn't like the style of writing, but enjoyed the book. On to the second one in the series!
Kelley
Apr 23, 2012 Kelley rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012
This was extremely predictable. Not one of the author's best efforts.
Diane
Oct 30, 2012 Diane rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Okay, but predictable simplistic plot, characters somewhat trite.
Katherine
May 06, 2012 Katherine rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A very good story!
Cherry Griffith
Conversations between characters was horrible. (The biker talked just like the amish woman.)
Carol Stowe
Emma Yoder, an Amish widow for about 18 months, wants to be less dependent on her children so she plans to teach quilting. Her daughter Mary announces that Lamar Miller, a widower who has moved into the area, is sweet on her and she might consider another marriage, but Emma is determined to remain a widow.
The mixed group of would-be quilters all have issues as well: Jan Sweet, biker who lost his license for drinking and driving; Ruby Lee Williams, preacher’s wife whose husband is having trouble
Debbie
Nov 28, 2016 Debbie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
An Amish widow, Emma decides to teach quilting skills in her home. Her confidence is threatened when she meets the group: Star who is struggling to find herself; Paul, a widowed father raising a baby; Jan is a biker looking for a creative outlet; Ruby is a preacher's wife who is worried about the problems of their church; and lastly, a couple who are constantly arguing. The dialogue doesn't seem realistic -- too sweet. Sweeter than a Hallmark movie! Does contain information about quilts and a pa ...more
Lisa
Jan 09, 2017 Lisa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: completed
I was intrigued by the cover and title. The preview sounded good. The stories lines were interesting but I had trouble with the writing style of the author. I believe she was trying to write to the style of how she perceived her characters might speak but it made it very difficult to read the book as I did not like the style of writing. I enjoy reading Christian authors and reading about the Amish. I normally read a book in a week and this book took me six weeks to finish. I have started the nex ...more
Karen
Nov 15, 2016 Karen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
An Amish woman decides to teach "Englischers" how to quilt. With a wide array of characters and learning to quilt, this could've been an excellent topic. But somehow, each and every one, including the main character herself, has a case of the grumpies. Only because I wanted to know the outcome & normally enjoy this author, did I persevere to the end. I almost gave up a few times, but the end was worth it. Mostly. Well, kind of~ I don't really recommend this one, it was a bit disappointing.
  • Missing Your Smile (Fields Of Home, #1)
  • A Season of Love (Kauffman Amish Bakery #5)
  • The Scent of Cherry Blossoms (Apple Ridge #4)
  • The Heart's Frontier (The Amish of Apple Grove, #1)
  • An Amish Wedding
  • Treasuring Emma (Middlefield Family, #1)
  • An Uncommon Grace
  • An Amish Family Reunion (Miller Family, #4)
  • Hannah's Joy (Pleasant Valley, #6)
  • A Perfect Square (Shipshewana Amish Mystery #2)
  • The Amish Bride (Women of Lancaster County #3)
  • The Haven (Stoney Ridge Seasons #2)
  • Her Restless Heart (Stitches In Time Series #1)
  • Beyond Hope's Valley (The Big Sky Series, #3)
  • Spring's Renewal (Seasons of Sugarcreek, #2)
A nationally recognized authority on the Amish community, Wanda E. Brunstetter has sold more than seven million copies of her fiction and nonfiction books. Wanda enjoys an uncommon kinship with the Amish and continues to visit their communities throughout the country. Her books have won numerous awards and topped several bestselling charts.
More about Wanda E. Brunstetter...

The Half-Stitched Amish Quilting Club (3 books)
  • The Tattered Quilt  (The Half-Stitched Amish Quilting Club, #2)
  • The Healing Quilt (The Half-Stitched Amish Quilting Club, #3)