Start by marking “Perseverance” as Want to Read:
Perseverance

Margaret J. Wheatley

Perseverance

4.08 of 5 stars 4.08  ·  rating details  ·  88 ratings  ·  13 reviews
In this inspiring and beautifully illustrated book, bestselling author Margaret Wheatley offers guidance to people everywhere for how to persevere through challenges in their personal lives, families, workplaces, communities, and causes. She provides hope, wisdom, and perspective for learning the discipline of perseverance.
ebook
Published September 27th 2010 by Berrett-Koehler Publishers (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Perseverance, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Perseverance

Angela
Perseverance is a very thoughtful book, not in the sense of it being considerate, but in regards to being full of stories, quotes, and stories that really make you think. It's an exceptionally fast read, as it's comprised of short quotes and single page narrative.

Margaret (Meg) Wheatley is known for her insight into the human spirit. Her ability to see pass the surface facade and be able to delve into the deeper meanings and structures that we all tend to hide from others. Many of the 'chapters'
Stuart Haden
This is a short ��pocket book�� designed to be read and the dipped into for inspiration as and when. It certainly achieves those aims. You will find quotes on one side of the page and on the other a short piece on competencies/concepts. Even thought it�s only 150 pages long you will probably find lots of these subject areas that resonate with you, e.g. success, stuck, loneliness, failure, self deception and choosing.

The book is arranged around 5 sections â-� here is a river, let go of the shor
Coryke
This was an ok book. It caused me to think a bit, but there was too much "zen" philosophy in it for my taste. Don't strive. Don't try. Just be. Well... I get that we might "try too hard" in Western culture sometimes, but I'm not sure I buy the whole relax and it'll be all right philosophy as an answer to everything. Maybe I'm over-playing this emphasis in the book, but by about halfway through the book, this seemed to be the dominant message and I couldn't get away from it.
Pollyanna
I borrowed this book from the library and renewed it twice! It's a small book, but it holds a lot of sage advice and wise observations taken from many aspects of spirituality and the world that contains us.

Margaret Wheatley does not preach, in fact, she doesn't even seem to set out to teach; she simply shares what she has learned.

This is a book to buy, to read again, to cherish and to share.
Naomi
Wheatley shares spirited reflections on feelings and challenges in life, like a meditation manual. Fine for individual reflection, these would also spark interesting dialogue in small groups, particularly coupled with members sharing their own stories, prayers, and meditations around the challenges named.
Jane
While fully secular, this book serves as a devotional for those who are trying to make a difference in their lives. I read just two pages a day and plan to reread it soon at the same pace. Many amazing thoughts and quotes about how to stay motivated for good work when so little progress is being made.
Teri Bryant
ugggh

I really thought that once I started taking the main classes associated with my major, I'd be doing some interesting reading about, you know, helping other people. Except so far it's all stuff like THIS.
Rachel
It was okay. Lots of helpful insight onto moving ahead in life without bowing to distractions created in the mind. Read for a course I'm taking. Probably wouldn't have read otherwise.
Elizabeth
This is a really good pocket book to have with you at all times. Solid nuggets or wisdom that help through the difficult moments.
Mike
i honestly think everyone should have a copy of this profound little book. enjoyed every minute of it.
Heidi
valuable reminders - read a little bit each day...
Wonderful message of hope and encouragement!
Anssi K
Anssi K marked it as to-read
Dec 12, 2014
Elsy Mendoza
Elsy Mendoza marked it as to-read
Nov 09, 2014
Jill Frederickson
Jill Frederickson marked it as to-read
Oct 29, 2014
Snickerdoodle
Snickerdoodle marked it as to-read
Oct 28, 2014
Gretchen Harriman
Gretchen Harriman is currently reading it
Oct 14, 2014
Melanie
Melanie marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2014
Roberta Dombrowski
Roberta Dombrowski is currently reading it
Aug 31, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Theory U: Leading from the Future as it Emerges
  • Community: The Structure of Belonging
  • Power and Love: A Theory and Practice of Social Change
  • The Integral Vision: A Very Short Introduction to the Revolutionary Integral Approach to Life, God, the Universe, and Everything
  • Ten Poems to Change Your Life Again and Again
  • A Hidden Wholeness: The Journey Toward an Undivided Life
  • The Power of Kindness: The Unexpected Benefits of Leading a Compassionate Life
  • At the Root of This Longing: Reconciling a Spiritual Hunger and a Feminist Thirst
  • An Ethic of Excellence: Building a Culture of Craftsmanship with Students
  • The World Has Changed: Conversations with Alice Walker
  • Awakening Joy: 10 Steps That Will Put You on the Road to Real Happiness
  • Catching Up or Leading the Way: American Education in the Age of Globalization
  • Why School?: How Education Must Change When Learning and Information Are Everywhere
  • A Gradual Awakening
  • Buddha Standard Time: Awakening to the Infinite Possibilities of Now
  • Presence: An Exploration of Profound Change in People, Organizations, and Society
  • Untie the Strong Woman: Blessed Mother's Immaculate Love for the Wild Soul
  • Freeing Your Child from Anxiety
Leadership and the New Science: Discovering Order in a Chaotic World Turning to One Another: Simple Conversations to Restore Hope to the Future A Simpler Way Walk Out Walk On: A Learning Journey into Communities Daring to Live the Future Now Finding Our Way: Leadership for an Uncertain Time