Start by marking “A Bright Room Called Day” as Want to Read:
A Bright Room Called Day

A Bright Room Called Day

3.97 of 5 stars 3.97  ·  rating details  ·  390 ratings  ·  21 reviews
From the Pulitzer Prize-winning author of "Angels in America" comes this powerful portrayal of individual dissolution and resolution in the face of political catastrophe.
"It's brash, audacious and...intoxicatingly visionary."--Sid Smith, "Chicago Tribune"
Published May 1st 1994 by Theatre Communications Group

To ask other readers questions about A Bright Room Called Day, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Bright Room Called Day

Carac Allison

I used to have a rule when I argued with my political friends. It was simple enough: the first person to make a comparison to the Nazis generally or Hitler specifically lost the argument.
I refer to it as a "rule". I had no clout to enforce it. But you get the idea. People are so quick to make those comparisons and they are almost always ridiculous.

In "A Bright Room Called Day" Tony Kushner juxtaposes a group of friends living in Germany as the Weimar Republic falls with a Long Ilsander in the 80...more
Michael
I am a huge fan of Kushner's Angels in America, and I'm a gigantic nerd when it comes to the politics and culture of Weimar Era and World War II Era Germany. I can't get enough of it. The abrupt and bizarre shift from decadent liberalism to genocidal fascism, I find it all extremely fascinating. So needless to say when I picked up A Bright Room Called Day and read the back I was immediately interested to read it, something that brought Kushner and Hirschfeld's Berlin together.

I find A Bright Roo...more
Chelsea
It must be nice to be Tony Kushner and have something this amazing look kind of eh because you also wrote Angels in America.
Elliot
"FUCK REAGAN!!!" = subtext

A Bright Room Called Day is bold. If that's what you call a play that makes Wiemar Germany at the onset of the Nazi Regime an obvious (and childish) allegory for the growth of American conservatism and the election of Ronald Reagan.

Though much more juvenile than the insurmountable Angels in America, A Bright Room Called Day has many of Kushner's trademarks. Kushner, following Brecht, attempts to create theater which is both real and clearly theatrical. We see the tensio...more
McKenzie Lynn Tozan
I am super-madly-in-love with this play. Though I have read quite a few plays in my life, never once can I say that a play absolutely consumed me like a work of fiction or moved me like my favorite poetry. Tony Kushner is a new writer to my life, but “A Bright Room Called Day” will hardly be the last of his works that I will read (unless, of course, that means that I’ve read so many of his works and returned to this one, again, last and then suddenly died—then, yes, I suppose that would be a pos...more
Leigh
"I mean just because a certain ex-actor-turned-President who shall go nameless sat idly by and watched tens of thousands die of a plague and he couldn't even bother to say he felt bad about it, much less try to help, does this mean he merits comparison to a certain fascist-dictator anti-Semitic mass-murdering psychopath who shall also remain nameless? OF COURSE NOT!

[. . .]

Moral exuberance. Hallucination, revelation, gut-flutters in the night--the internal intestinal night bats, their panicky l...more
Morgan
It was interesting. I enjoyed the parallels between Zillah and Agnes and the really old lady, whatshername . . . anyway. Kushner really amazes me with his language, how he jumps from poetry to prose in dialogue, and can then throw in songs and other rhymes and children's poems. Unbelievable. And though I think it would've interested me more, storywise at any rate, I felt a little too distanced, as if the characters were little more than paper dolls. I would like to see this one performed, see it...more
Sam
"A Bright Room Called Day" is simply incredible. It relates the years just prior to World War II through the eyes of a group of artists, actors, and communists living in Berlin, with narration by a modern-day bohemian. It revolves around a main character, Agnes, who lives her life by avoiding conflict and hoping that things will get better without her interference. This passivity is not condemned, merely noted; we have the choice to realize the commentary. "A Bright Room Called Day" is startling...more
Kaysy
GREAT play. I really enjoyed the premise, the dialogue, and the obvious passion that was behind the words. My favorite parts were Zillah's interruptions. I didn't really know who she was but her words were sooo powerful and I liked the slow discovery of her character's place in the story.
p.s. my reviews are all very ambiguous. if you want to know the plot of a book I assume you can visit that book's page.
Brian
A great ensemble play filled with increasingly powerful ensemble themes. He is one of the few playwrights out there who blends realism with poetic lyricism in a way that I both buy and am moved buy.

Oh yeah, and he's a self-proclaimed immature person, for writing a play that attempts to parallel Reagon with Hitler... I love immature people.
Bronwyn (B1)
I am a huge theatre person and this is honestly the best play I have ever read. It made me cry, something no other play, book, or movie has ever done. After about a minute of just sinking in the brilliance that I had just read, I wanted to reread it again (and plan to do so soon).
Cecilia
This has a compelling depiction of the devil as evil personified, as a small, non-descript businessman. It's a fierce moral challenge to our complacency in the face of evil in our own times.
stephanie
my good friend's sister played zillah in an off broadway production.

brilliantly creepy play. i need to read it, and i want to read it, and that means something.
Asa Merritt
Weimar Republic. Inspiring. You can feel that this was the first major play that Kushner wrote. I mean that in a good sense.
kathryn
I would enjoy seeing this performed on stage, but it is easily visualized in reading only. Highly recommended
Mark Mezadourian
I directed this play in 1996. It is a deeply passionate and smart play, full of beautiful language.
Amanda
May 26, 2008 Amanda rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
ok so I know its a play but I LOVE this one. sharp political edgy and such intense charecters
Thorne Clark
Political fiction/theater is very, very rarely enjoyable for me. But this is gorgeous.
Katie
we are reading it in school and i love it!!!!!
Anna Cate
Poetry! This man is a genius.
Mary
Feb 18, 2012 Mary marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I need to reread this.
Vernard
Vernard marked it as to-read
Oct 22, 2014
Sydney Apel
Sydney Apel marked it as to-read
Oct 22, 2014
Jason Gilmore
Jason Gilmore marked it as to-read
Oct 17, 2014
  • Red Light Winter
  • Frost/Nixon
  • Company: A Musical Comedy
  • A Lie of the Mind
Tony Kushner is an award-winning American playwright most famous for his play Angels in America, for which he was awarded the Pulitzer Prize. He is also co-author, along with Eric Roth, of the screenplay of the 2005 film Munich, which was directed by Steven Spielberg and earned Kushner (along with Roth) an Academy Award nomination for Best Adapted Screenplay.
More about Tony Kushner...
Angels in America, Part Two: Perestroika Angels in America, Part One: Millennium Approaches Angels in America:  A Gay Fantasia on National Themes Homebody/Kabul Brundibar

“What makes the voice pathetic
is that it doesn't know
what kind of people it's reaching.
Us.
No one hears it, except us.
This Age wanted heroes.
It got us instead:
carefully constructed, but
immobile.
Subtle but,
unfit
to take up
the burden of the times.
It happens.
A whole generation of washouts.
History says stand up,
and we totter and collapse,
weeping, moved, but not
sufficient.”
12 likes
“Opium is the perfect drug for people who want to remain articulate while being completely trivial.” 5 likes