The Weight of Numbers

The Weight of Numbers

3.06 of 5 stars 3.06  ·  rating details  ·  146 ratings  ·  26 reviews
"The Weight of Numbers" describes the metamorphosis of three people: Anthony Burden, a mathematical genius destroyed by the beauty of numbers; Saul Cogan, transformed from prankster idealist to trafficker in the poor and dispossessed; and Stacey Chavez, ex-teenage celebrity and mediocre performance artist, hungry for fame and starved of love. All are haunted by Nick Jinks,...more
Published December 1st 2007 by Grove Press (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about The Weight of Numbers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Weight of Numbers

Andrew
I can definitely understand why a lot of people disliked this book. The blurb describing it's synopsis makes it sound like a mystery-esque thriller with a simple plot and a clear antagonist. Thats what I thought when I picked it up.
Upon finishing it, however, I realized that the theme and message of the book go much deeper than they are made to sound on the back, and that many people who are looking for simpler, more topical reads may be put off by the story for either lack of understanding or...more
Liviu
The Weight of Numbers is a wonderful tapestry novel that works unexpectedly well. Not really sf as it takes place from the 1930's to the 00's and from England, to Mozambique to the Apollo missions, though infused with sfnal musings.

Following a diverse cast of characters who are related sometimes in obvious, sometimes in strange ways, Weight of Numbers is threaded together by the author into a coherent whole that is very satisfying.

The novel moves non-linearly in time, space and character arcs s...more
Adam
Events counterpoised with the moon landing are a central set piece of this novel, which is appropriate since every scene in this novel is as pitiless and barren as the face of the moon. This bleakness permeates whether appropriate or not as Ings twists and turns through events and characters spread over the last half of the 20th century. The right tone for Mozambique in the grips of the genocidal civil war between FRELIMO and the South Africa (and Rhodesia) supported contras RENAMO or London dur...more
Jerico
This book is rough. Not unpolished (the prose is quite smooth, as if worn but quite a few revisions) but hard to finish. It reminds me a little of something by Pynchon: its scientific in elements of narration and description, its networked and scattered and very post modern (blah, blah, blah). Its a lot colder than Pynchon and stays far away from resolution. I thought it might be a message novel at first, something oblique on its moral but I think this might be the bleakest book I've read in a w...more
Michel
Sep 09, 2008 Michel rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Boomers and 68ers
Recommended to Michel by: Bbc
Shelves: lit, eleole
While the style is smooth and polished, the plot is rough, ambiguous and unfinished, or so it seems. Not to be recommended for amateurs of mystery and suspense —well, not quite true, I am an amateur of mystery and suspense— let's just say it isn't at all what you'd expect from the blurb.
This a cold, deliberate, unemotional vivisection of the 60s, when the counter-culture was the culture; when we rejected the mechanical morality of the past —Good was obeying the Law (and Traditions and Customs),...more
Lucy Furr
So, I initially picked up The Weight of Numbers from the used bookstore because I liked the cover. Seriously, that's the reason. Sometimes I have good luck with that sort of thing, sometimes I don't. I'd say that this time was a pretty good success.

Quite honestly, I was expecting something a bit different based on the blurb on the inside, but I have to say, I think it turned out much better than what I was expecting. This book moves sporadically through time (the last 60 or so years) and (outer...more
Hugo Filipe
I read to page 100, and I gave up.
It doesn't matter how good Simon writes, I don't care at all about this book, the characters or the story.. He just keeps rambling on, with nothing to say.
Stephen
I don't know what to make of this book. It was lovely to read and I really wanted to learn about the stories of all the characters. But after reading through nearly three quarters of the book I was still being introduced to new characters and the plot was not yet linking up in any meaningful way. So I quit. But I still kind of wonder how it ended and it it all came together at the last minute? Each chapter seemed to start to new storyline, but the previous chapters remained unresolved. I underst...more
severyn
Not so great a novel. I think he was trying to write something epic about the way people became more and more connected by technology and history and thought during the 20th century, but the language isn't quite up to it and the book ends up sounding overwritten and implausible.
Mixing the characters up with the moon landings and the atrocities of post-colonial Mozambique comes across as a slightly clumsy trick, rather than the serious framing that I think it was intended to be.
The last 100 or so...more
jenn
okay so, i put this book down. i read maybe 200 pages of it and absolutely hated it. it's a great concept- all of these people in different times and different places are connected to one man.

it has a slow start that never really picked up speed, in my opinion. i finally put it down because i found most of the content to be boring (at least to me) and some what filthy.

that said, maybe it's just not my style. simon ings has written a number of science fiction works, a few novels and one non-fic...more
Katherine
I wanted to like this book. I loved The Eye, a natural history so I thought I'd give his fiction a try. But, I just could not enjoy this one on any level. I found it confusing. I don't mean the multiple interconected characters and large philosphical underpinnings, I mean, I had to re-read sentences several times and still wasn't sure what the hell he was saying. I might have plowed on regardless had it not been so damn bleak. If I'm going to have my will to live sapped I'd like a little somethi...more
Kristie
While the characters seemed interesting and well-written, I was unable to keep track of time and the correlations between them all. I ultimately had to put this book down. I got about halfway through before I realized new characters were still being introduced, and I still couldn't keep track of the ones I'd already met. Well done, but not for me.
Beth
The weight of numbers starts off fairly slow and sort of confusing. Somewhere in the middle of the first chapter I was wondering if the entire novel was about a middle aged astronaut and his issues with his wife... But whoa... keep reading.
I really enjoyed the authors style and each chapter is exciting and well executed.
good book
Jill
This is one of those books that requires a reread. The first go was enjoyable, though a bit disjointed -- despite its length, it's something you need to read all at once. That, or keep a character map -- people keep showing up out of supposedly nowhere, but things do come together at the end.
Florita
Feb 04, 2008 Florita marked it as unfinished  ·  review of another edition
I'm a bit fed up with all these postmodern novels that take a disparate bunch of usually thoroughly unsympathetic characters and bring them all together over some random connection, like they are all distant cousins of Benny Hill or all use the same haemorrhoid ointment or something. So what?
Peter Gasston
Took me a second read to start seeing the connections between the time periods, which I didn't really get first time through. It's a clever book, an ambitious one, but not one that's easy to empathise with. I liked it, but I don't think it will be one I'll remember forever.
Mandy
this book made no sense. I was sick most of the time I was reading it, but I don't think it would have made much more sense if my head was clear. I feel like it would be better the 2nd time through, but there are too many other books I'd rather read than read this twice.
Sammy
Mar 17, 2008 Sammy marked it as given-up-on  ·  review of another edition
I'm not really that into this book, but I've only just started... I'm hoping I'll change my mind soon.

I have one serious gripe, but we'll see if it's still a big impasse as I get farther into reading...

I really wanted to like this book.
Deen Sharp
Almost every chapter starts with a definite time and place but this book still makes you lose your sense of time and space without losing the plot. Challenging but rewarding read.
Jessica
This book reads like a poor attempt to imitate Richard Powers. I won't be finishing it, and that almost never happens with me.
Jen
Picked at random from the library shelf because I liked the cover (different than the one shown here!)
Yana
A good friend gave me this book and thought I would enjoy it, but I just couldn't get into the plot.
Jan
Great book. Learned alot about Mozambique too :-)
Ginette
This was really bizarre and disjointed.
Jeffrey Quiambao
mish-mash and too incoherent
jeramy
so far so good...
Andrew Coats
Andrew Coats marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2014
Trev
Trev marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2014
I've published seven novels and one book of popular science.

I also edit Arc, a new magazine of futures and fiction developed by New Scientist magazine. Its inaugural issue was published in February 2012 with new work by Margaret Atwood, China Miéville and M John Harrison, among many others.

My latest novel, Dead Water, is set among the tramp lines and pirate syndicates operating on the Indian Ocea...more
More about Simon Ings...
A Natural History of Seeing: The Art and Science of Vision Wolves Hot-head Dead Water The Eye: A Natural History