Start by marking “Stoney Creek Woman: The Story of Mary John” as Want to Read:
Stoney Creek Woman: The Story of Mary John

Stoney Creek Woman: The Story of Mary John

The captivating story of Mary John (who passed away in 2004), a pioneering Carrier Native whose life on the Stoney Creek reserve in central BC is a capsule history of First Nations life from a unique woman's perspective. A mother of twelve, Mary endured much tragedy and heartbreak--the pangs of racism, poverty, and the deaths of six children--but lived her life with extrao
Published July 1st 2002 by Arsenal Pulp Press (first published January 1st 1988)

To ask other readers questions about Stoney Creek Woman, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Stoney Creek Woman

Andrea
Aug 27, 2015 Andrea rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The final book I have to read for my Canadian Literature course on Residential Schools starting in the Fall (2015). The last, but definitely not the least, as the saying goes.
I really enjoyed the differing perspectives and narrative styles throughout the course of the reading material. Each has brought it's own unique style and take on a tragic and senseless part of Canadian history. What I liked most about Stoney Creek Woman was that only the beginning was really about Mary John's time in resi
tamarack
Enjoyable and easy to read -- which was great, because I was terrified to find out this was only a *part* of my week's history readings! Brutal.

This autobiography-as-told-to is insightful and gave a good concrete herstory of the Carrier nation near Vanderhoof, BC. I am left with the impression that, in some ways, Mary John was one of the fortunates of this time: She was not killed by tuberculosis like so many in her village, she was "favoured" at the residential school she attended, and her fami
Lisa
Apr 26, 2013 Lisa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A simple, easy-to-read book about the life of a string Native woman in central BC from the 1950s-1980s. The first person accounts of racism then was very informative. I can't even imagine what it would feel like to be denied entrance to a cafe. It a good account of daily remote reservation survival.
Margaret
I love stories of strong women who have worked hard to overcome unfortunate circumstances - I find them inspiring and this looks like it will fit that bill.

Interesting reading - really kind of a tough life basically living off the land. You can't help but admire the wonderful spirit of this woman.
Marie
Oct 02, 2016 Marie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Read for Grade 8 years ago but have just re-read it for an Aboriginal Studies class. A very easy and enjoyable book to read. The story that it tells is a very powerful one.
Linda
Feb 21, 2013 Linda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the story of a strong, beautiful, amazing woman. I don't think I can ever read enough of these books. Lovely!
Janine
Jan 04, 2013 Janine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
First read this book for a history class, but have re-read it several times. A very interesting book about the life of Mary John, a Carrier native woman living in northern British Columbia.
Kayatchi
Kayatchi rated it it was ok
Jun 21, 2011
Marni
Apr 15, 2017 Marni rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A simple story about life as a First Nations woman in interior BC. She was born in 1913 and lived until 2004. She saw and experienced many changes and it is sobering as a privileged white person to read about her life.
Jeannine
Jeannine rated it really liked it
Jul 12, 2014
Karl
Karl rated it it was amazing
Jan 28, 2011
Pam
Pam rated it really liked it
Oct 13, 2016
Maria Zuppardi
The ending was a bit sad. But definitely useful for my essay now!
Fiona
Fiona rated it it was amazing
Sep 18, 2015
Sonja Babovic
Sonja Babovic rated it really liked it
Feb 21, 2013
Elissa Aikema
Elissa Aikema rated it it was amazing
Feb 06, 2017
Shea
Shea rated it really liked it
Jun 26, 2012
Roy Vickers
Roy Vickers rated it really liked it
Oct 20, 2013
Daniel Baylis
Daniel Baylis rated it really liked it
Feb 23, 2013
Priscilla Ferrara
Priscilla Ferrara rated it really liked it
Apr 04, 2012
Katherine Carlson
Katherine Carlson rated it really liked it
Jul 23, 2012
Deb
Deb rated it really liked it
May 06, 2009
Alysa
Alysa rated it really liked it
Aug 16, 2014
Meaghan
Meaghan rated it liked it
Dec 29, 2015
Paul Burry
Paul Burry rated it liked it
May 20, 2009
Savannah Mckenzie
Savannah Mckenzie rated it really liked it
Nov 23, 2014
Anthony Bigornia
Anthony Bigornia rated it liked it
Feb 13, 2011
Kevin
Kevin rated it really liked it
Jun 08, 2012
David
David rated it really liked it
Mar 20, 2012
Patrick van Loosen
Patrick van Loosen rated it really liked it
Sep 26, 2013