Start by marking “The Intelligent Gardener: Growing Nutrient Dense Food” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
The Intelligent Garden...
Steve Solomon

The Intelligent Gardener: Growing Nutrient Dense Food

Vegetables, fruits, and grains are a major source of vital nutrients, but centuries of intensive agriculture have depleted our soils to historic lows. As a result, the broccoli you consume today may have less than half of the vitamins and minerals that the equivalent serving would have contained a hundred years ago. This is a matter for serious concern, since poor nutritio ...more
Published December 4th 2012 by New Society Publishers (first published November 13th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Intelligent Gardener, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Intelligent Gardener

Reading the other (glowing) reviews, I wonder what I'm missing here. I did not love this book. The author actually implies that the AMA blatantly disregards knowledge of poor soil fertility leading to human disease to further it's own monetary interests in treating those diseases. Um, no. I can get behind assuring our soil is appropriately mineralized to grow nutrient rich food - I'm going to test the soil of our veggie plot and amend the beds appropriately. I can even believe fertilizer manufac ...more
Jan 23, 2013 Randy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Near the end of his new book, The Intelligent Gardener, long-time garden guru Steve Solomon makes a significant point: “There is no place on this planet that remains free of toxic residues.” He then suggests we would be far better off if we quit worrying so much about toxicity and, instead, concentrated on growing and eating nutrient dense food.

I’ve been able to follow, and participate to a degree, in Mr. Solomon’s metamorphosis from expert “organic” gardener to expert “nutrient dense” gardener.
Jan 20, 2013 Anna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
First of all, the subtitle is a bit misleading. You won't get information on many aspects of growing nutrient-dense food, like variety selection and time of harvest, out of this book. What The Intelligent Gardener does provide, though, is well worth the price.

I've been nibbling around the edges of learning about soil testing for the last couple of years, but this book turned my understanding into a full (and nutrient-dense) meal. Solomon's work is based largely on Albrecht's studies of the optim
Jul 29, 2013 Ben rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Intelligent Gardener lays out the practical science for growing the best garden possible. Solomon goes beyond simply giving practical, common sense advice and looks to the science behind plant growth to give the whys and wherefores along with the hows. He has made be a believer in the soil test and, mea culpa, I will get one before next Spring.

Though he can be preachy and at times acerbic, Solomon writes a good gardening book. Thankfully his tone has mellowed over the past decade. While I a
Dec 09, 2015 Sébastien rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: get
"Le Batterie de Cuisine"! Really? Batterie is a feminine noun so it requires a "la" not a "le". People use French just to make it seem more sophisticated. Nothing sounds worse than mixing the masculine and feminine. This coming from an author who proudly names his book the "Intelligent Gardener". In other words, he's saying "organic gardeners" are stupid. Well, this author belly-flopped right after self-declaring his high intelligence - and that even before page number one!

Aside from this blunde
Mitch Allen
Apr 06, 2014 Mitch Allen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Steve Solomon is a master. His clear, unvarnished explanations will help anyone succeed with their vegetable garden, particularly in the Northwest, and his latest book takes on the controversial topic of nutrient density. For some time the food industry has focused on yield and shelf life while consumers are concerned about food safety, and we've sacrificed the nutrition in our food to the detriment of our health. I've read everything that I can find on this topic and this is by far the best, mo ...more
Leah Walker
Jun 19, 2013 Leah Walker rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fascinating analysis of soil remineralization to produce nutrient dense food. Solomon presents arguments that counter the current trends in organic gardening. His tone is often derisive of the reader and modern culture, but I have started using his basic principles combined with the "back to eden" techniques. I am excited to see the results. This is not a fast read and at times a degree in chemistry would be helpful.
Sim Hanscamp
May 30, 2015 Sim Hanscamp rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you think plants are about more than NPK. This is for you.

Best gardening book that is 'intelligent' that i know. Probably gotta be into the science of making compost and a bit more serious than your average (1-2season gardener hobby idealist).

Seriously important if you're an avid grower to read.
Brad Belschner
Apr 18, 2014 Brad Belschner rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: agriculture, health
Excellent book, mostly on soil mineral balancing. Good for increasing yields, decreasing problems with pests and diseases, and above all increasing the nutrient density of the resulting food. Written from a gardener's perspective, for beginners who've never done soil testing before. Should be very helpful for its intended audience.
Tad Hussey
Dec 30, 2013 Tad Hussey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My only complaint is that he downplays the significance of the soil food web and nutrient cycling in the rhizosphere in my opinion. Excellent read though and the best bridge between the mineral folks and the soil food web guys I've read to date.
Michel Vaillancourt
Ultimately worth the effort and money. Lots of great information, even if at times some of the anecdotal or personal philosophy is a bit much.

As circumstance permits I will be putting the information here to use in our own garden. That will be the real test of what this book is really worth
Jan 12, 2013 Betsy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: garden, x2013
How to bring your soil to its maximum potential for growing nutrient dense food. Depends heavily on a knowledge of chemistry so the book is slow reading but otherwise good advice. Some of it is counter-intuitive, like additions of compost and manure should be limited.
Feb 10, 2014 Kathely rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Too complicated. Let me boil it down: Your garden soil need more than just carbon and manure. Get a soil test. There. I just saved you a couple hundred pages of complicated soil chemistry.
Charlie Kester
Sep 17, 2013 Charlie Kester rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
After reading this book, I will definitely be doing a soil test before I plant my garden next spring.
One of the best non-fiction attempts I've treated myself in a while. Great information and steps to create a successful environment.
Jul 06, 2014 Megan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gardening-books
I am trying some soil amendment experiments in my garden this season after reading this book. He has a persuasive argument for trying to grow nutrient dense food.
Tron Tarkington
Tron Tarkington rated it it was amazing
Jan 20, 2015
Mark rated it it was ok
Jun 02, 2014
Matthew DeRose
Matthew DeRose rated it really liked it
Nov 23, 2015
Paul rated it really liked it
Apr 28, 2015
Steve Richards
Makes a good case for the importance of good mineral balance in soils
Gregj rated it really liked it
Nov 14, 2014
Sara Joehnk
Sara Joehnk rated it really liked it
Aug 01, 2015
Christopher Saxon
Christopher Saxon rated it really liked it
May 24, 2016
Anne Taylor
Anne Taylor rated it it was amazing
Dec 17, 2015
Laura Lynch-miller
Laura Lynch-miller rated it really liked it
Mar 09, 2015
Evelyn Wool
Evelyn Wool rated it it was amazing
Feb 08, 2016
Jim Karnowski
Jim Karnowski rated it it was amazing
Aug 05, 2014
Tim rated it liked it
May 25, 2013
Julie  Webb
Julie Webb rated it it was amazing
Nov 19, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Tree Crops: A Permanent Agriculture
  • The Holistic Orchard: Tree Fruits and Berries the Biological Way
  • Teaming with Microbes: A Gardener's Guide to the Soil Food Web
  • Paradise Lot: Two Plant Geeks, One-Tenth of an Acre, and the Making of an Edible Garden Oasis in the City
  • The Market Gardener: A Handbook for Successful Small-Scale Organic Farming
  • The Resilient Gardener: Food Production and Self-Reliance in Uncertain Times
  • The Resilient Homestead: Innovative Permaculture Systems for the Home and Farm--Based on Research and Development in Earthworks, Perennial Crops, Cold-Climate Rice Production, and Nutrient-Dense Food/Medicine from the Whole Systems Research Farm
  • Sepp Holzer's Permaculture: A Practical Guide to Small-Scale, Integrative Farming and Gardening
  • Small Scale Grain Raising: An Organic Guide to Growing, Processing, and Using Nutritious Whole Grains, for Home Gardeners and Local Farmers
  • Edible Forest Gardens, Volume 1: Ecological Vision and Theory for Temperate Climate Permaculture
  • Homegrown Whole Grains: Grow, Harvest, and Cook Wheat, Barley, Oats, Rice, Corn and More
  • Dirt: The Ecstatic Skin of the Earth
  • Restoration Agriculture
  • Natural Way of Farming: The Theory and Practice of Green Philosophy
  • Eliot Coleman's Winter Harvest Handbook: Four Season Vegetable Production for the 21st Century
  • Botany for Gardeners
  • The Humanure Handbook: A Guide to Composting Human Manure
  • Forest Gardening: Cultivating an Edible Landscape
Steve Solomon is the founder of the Territorial Seed Company. He has been growing most of his family's food for over 35 years, and is the author of several landmark gardening books. A lifelong evangelist for the value of self-sufficiency, his writing, lectures and classes are focused on helping people become financially independent through producing their own necessities. He currently homesteads i ...more
More about Steve Solomon...

“It doesn’t matter how the harvest will come out”, says Masanobu Fukuoka. “Just sow seeds and care tenderly for the plants and soil. You have joy. The ultimate goal of farming is not the growing of crops but the cultivation and perfection of human beings.” 0 likes