Simply Imperfect

Simply Imperfect

3.67 of 5 stars 3.67  ·  rating details  ·  48 ratings  ·  6 reviews
In 2004 "The Wabi-sabi House" helped popularize this ancient Japanese philosophy in North America. Far more than home decor, wabi-sabi is a state of mind: living modestly in the moment, stripping away the unnecessary, finding satisfaction in everyday things. "Simply Imperfect" is a fully revised edition of "The Wabi-Sabi House" -- it will help you celebrate the beauty in g...more
Published June 7th 2011 by New Society Publishers (first published May 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Simply Imperfect, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Simply Imperfect

Kathleen
This is a pretty great book. My favorite thing about it is that Lawrence focuses on really communicating the spirit of wabi-sabi. She doesn't make it seem like you have to go out and get a bunch of Japanese furniture to have a wabi-sabi house. Instead, she makes it clear that you have to adopt an attitude toward your possessions for a wabi-sabi house.
I am a huge fan of mid-century modern furniture, esp. the Eameses' work. I was so delighted to read about the Eames chairs and their wabi-sabi qual...more
Gwen
As I'm preparing (and panicking) to move, I'm interested in figuring out what my own living style is after a lifetime sharing quarters with family and roommates. I think the wabi-sabi style might be my thing: thoughtful, conscious, and loved, that something doesn't have to be new or perfect to be just right for you. This book does a solid job at explaining the basics of the wabi-sabi aesthetic, and I'm glad I picked it up on a whim at the library.

There's an awful lot about Japanese tea ceremoni...more
Alicia
I love the wabi sabi concept, and this book had a lot of great info (and a gorgeous cover). The audience for this book is definitely aimed for a somewhat affluent demographic. Nonetheless it was an interesting read that made me think about how I view my possessions and beauty itself. Good stuff.
Peg
This book I stumbled upon at the Friday Harbor Public Library was a quick and engaging read, and sent me on a great quest to learn more about Wabi Sabi. It's been a great eye opener.
Caren
Almost done. I love it. Especially the parts about creating a sacred place in your house!
Marianna
I kept putting the book down because I was inspired to clean up and de-clutter!
Bonnie Sabia
Bonnie Sabia marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2014
Steve Henry
Steve Henry marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2014
Leanne
Leanne marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2014
Kayleigh
Kayleigh marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2014
Mary Graves
Mary Graves is currently reading it
Mar 18, 2014
Marybeth Ingram
Marybeth Ingram marked it as to-read
Feb 08, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
The Wabi-Sabi House: The Japanese Art of Imperfect Beauty 7 Steps to a Safe, Nurturing Nursery