Start by marking “Jack and Jill” as Want to Read:
Jack and Jill

Louisa May Alcott

Jack and Jill

3.75 of 5 stars 3.75  ·  rating details  ·  2,393 ratings  ·  99 reviews
When Jack and Jill tumble off of their sled their injuries cause them to be bedridden for many months. Their parents fill their days with the joys of Christmas preparations, a theatrical production and many other imaginative events.
Hardcover
Published 1972 by Nelson Doubleday, Inc. (first published 1880)

To ask other readers questions about Jack and Jill, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Jack and Jill

Valerie
Rereading books you loved as a child can make you see both; all of the wonderful things in them, and all of the flaws. I think the parts about Temperance passed me by as a kid, maybe I didn't realize the secret society was about forbearing to drink.

And no one ever accused Louisa of being light handed with the morals. But the strange thing is, her sense of right and wrong is not far off the mark. We would be better people if we learned to protect and care for those around us, if our mother's pri
Carly
Aug 05, 2011 Carly marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: wishlist
What is up with people criticizing the morals that Louisa May Alcott had in her books, saying it's a good story "except" for the moral talk? Louisa May Alcott was a Christian! Morals are a GOOD thing (gasp) for humans to learn, whatever religion or creed, and I wish there were more authors like her today.

I read books by women like Louisa May Alcott because I wish the world were more like the way she painted it, not this depraved rock we currently live on. I'm putting this one on my to-read list
Sara
Old-fashioned? Sure. Out of date? Not at all. Despite being written more than a century ago, this charming and sweet book has some very important themes and messages for today. In classic LMA fashion, this book is meant to be morally inspiring for Tweens and teens who already accept the moral premise of classic conservative Christian values. To evaluate a LMA book outside of that bent is to essentially judge a fish's ability to climb a tree. In my opinion, this book is highly entertaining and in ...more
Laura Peters
When I was thirteen years old, and read and reread this book a hundred times, I'd have given it five stars. The fact that it remains a three star book into adulthood is no small accomplishment for an author from another age.

Louisa May Alcott's style is very openly didactic and so grates a little on modern ears. We're used to having our literary sermons served up in more sneaky ways.

The story presented characters that quickly became real and multifaceted to me. I sympathized with their plights a
Jenne
I just read an article about this novel ("Missionary Positions: Taming the Savage Girl in Louisa May Alcott's Jack and Jill" by M. Hines), so I wanted to reread the book.

It was definitely more full of those glurgey Victorianisms (wholesome and pure!) than I remember, but when I was younger I just read these books pretty much at face value and didn't really think about the imperialist subtext and what have you.

I still can't quite tell if she's being serious with some of the moralizing. I want to
Violet
February 2010 review:

Jack and Jill are two friends who are always together, hence the nicknames Jack and Jill. Jack and Jill really do fall down a hill, but not from fetching a pail of water. They are on a sledding expedition with lots of other children. Jill persuades Jack to go down a steep and dangerous part of the hill, because a boy called Joe told her she couldn't do it. Jack consents reluctantly to go down three times with her. The first two go well enough, but the third has disastrous e
Summer
Allot of people said that this book was a little bit 'old fashion', WELL DUH! This book was written along time ago, and takes place a long time ago!!! I would like to add this, which is a book review that I am working on:Jack and Jill went up a hill
To coast with fun and laughter;
Jack fell down and broke his crown
And Jill came tumbling after.
Jack and Jill is a fiction book written by Louisa May Alcott. Jill is considered a wild child, but by the end of the book she is more of a proper lady, Jack
Lisa
I read this when I was 12 or 13 and loved it, though it was quite old-fashion by my friends' reading standards. But I was an old-fashion girl with whom the modern mores never set quite easily.
Laura V.
No me gusta calificar libros "viejos" porque la mayoría han sido escritos respondiendo al contexto de su época, pero en este caso es especial, porque el libro me hizo sudar lágrimas de sangre.
Todo lo que contaba la historia me sonaba a sermón.
Y todo lo que pasaba de malo a Jill debía de servirle de lección y aprender de sus errores, y ser mejor persona; Y que sus esfuerzos se vería recompensados con bondad..
y tantas, tantas lecciones de conducta..
Que las niñas debía de ocuparse de la casa, de ma
Josiah
When reading the books of Louisa May Alcott, one must remember that her career was at its zenith a fair while ago. Her creative merits should be viewed in the context of contemporary literature for young readers as it stood when she was active, and that puts a different slant on how her works are to be regarded nowadays. Viewed through that prism, I think that Jack and Jill is a remarkably progressive novel, one that likely stood head and shoulders over nearly any other juvenile stories offered ...more
Catherine
Jack and Jill is a charming, lesser-known story by Louisa May Alcott, and it is absolutely full of her wisdom and philosophies about education, parenting, and character. After good-natured Jack and spirited Jill are injured in a sledding accident, their devoted mothers and schoolmates come up with gentle, creative, wonderful ways to keep the two involved and engaged while they are bedridden.

Once Jack and Jill are recovered enough, they spend a summer full of quiet play and wild adventures at th
Anna
Jul 14, 2012 Anna rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Anna by: Emma Marx
LOVED!! It was one of those books that you don't want to put down!! I was a little dull at times, but overall a great children's book.

Jack and Jill is about two children that have an accident on a sled and their recovery. It is not what it seems, only very loosely based on the nursery rhyme and not in the LEAST childish.

Jill is an impulsive, tom-boy like girl who sleds down a hill on a dare, with her friend Jack. In the process they both fall off and Jack "breaks his crown" and Jill gets an in
Jasonlylescampbell
In her title Jack and Jill, Louisa May Alcott describes it as a "village story." This is what this book felt like. It is written for kids between 12-18 and it ultimately is a very sweet story. My friend who gave me this book told me that this was one of the books that if she were to die early in life she would want her kids to have these to read them when they reach the right ages.

It did feel like a story that showed how it was possible to speak kindly and to love one another and through the co
Sue
A nice enough story about some teenagers in the USA, written 130 years ago and, given its age, surprisingly up-to-date in some ways. Jack and Jill are close friends despite vastly different social circumstances, and early in the book have a nasty accident while sledging. The book follows them and their friends over the next year, as they convalesce.

Subtitled 'a village story', it's mostly gentle, with a fair amount of authorial intrusion, some of it rather preachy, at least to modern ears, and
Caroline
Two friends have an accident which causes them both to endure a long recovery, during which time they grow in character—this is Louisa May Alcott, after all, and there are passages like this:
Jill's Speller...was seldom looked at, and Jack shirked his Latin shamefully...both were rather the worse for so much idleness, since daily duties and studies are the wholesome bread which feeds the mind better than the dyspeptic plum-cake of sensational reading, or the unsubstantial bon-bons of frivolous a
Genie
I will love this children's classic for absolutely ever. It is one of my all-time favorite children's books which I thoroughly enjoyed re-reading recently as an adult. You will laugh, you will cry, and you will always ALWAYS identify with these characters even though they are from a much different time period. The bonds of childhood friendship are precious but very strong. It's a shame people today still don't hold to this code of ethics. :(
Kathie
I missed this book as a child. It is, of course, a little old fashioned but a nice story of young people developing personality and morals.
Kat
I read this quite a few times when I was younger and enjoyed it, but this is one of those books that unfortunately does not quite hold up when read again as an adult. The characters are still mostly fun, but the morals are very heavy-handed.

I purchased the Kessinger Publishing print because it was what Borders had and I had a Borders gift card to spend, but it is so full of misprints (whole sections and paragraphs are repeated) and typos that I frankly can't understand how a publisher could char
Sunny Suarez Evans
Big fan of Louisa May Alcott!!!
Lize
One of Ms Alcott's lesser-known books from the 1880's read again since childhood. I enjoyed it as a child--the descriptions of the sledding accident and the telegraph the two main characters rig up afterwards fascinated me. As an adult, though, it's very "Pilgrim's Progress" preachy, and doesn't hold up as well as her "Little Women".

Enquiring minds want to know…what happened to Mr. Minot? Janey's father died in Canada, but the Minots seem set for life, with no mention of a father.
Kristy Powers
Another gem by Louisa May Alcott that fewer people have heard of. I had not read it until this year. I don't think I would put it quite in the category with Eight Cousins, Rose in Bloom, and An Old-Fashioned Girl, but it was such a nice read and I can't wait to read it to my children. Raises lots of interesting parenting and even homeschooling issues. And, like all LMA books, this one contains inspiring passages about children striving for self-improvement in their own particular circumstances.
Trace
I love that LMA wrote about children and young adults who strive to be the very best they can be. I realize that this is the very thing that causes her to be accused of always writing "sermons"... but as a mom, I appreciate her inspirational stories wholeheartedly and wish that I could find more such wholesome examples that I could pass along to my son to read.

This book actually gave me a few things to think about in terms of the home education that my son is receiving.
Kristi Thompson
Jessica Howard
One of the lesser known Alcotts, but one of the ones I liked a lot as a kid. Jack and Jill are best friends for years, inseparable in every way, until a terrible tragedy happens to Jill, and they both deal with the consequences. Jack's family is rich, Jill's is poor, and there is some inevitable moralizing, it is an Alcott after all, but overall the story of their enduring friendship makes up for the occasionally schmaltzy moments.
Deena
I just reread this the other day and it is rather proscriptive, as much of Alcott's work is - but it's a lovely little story anyway! It is not without a certain tension of proto-feminism and apologism for patriarchy (again, as most of Alcott's work is) - BUT, I dropped the English component of my double major because I do hate over-analyzing literature!! It's meant as a nice story, and that's exactly what it is. Period.
Lillie
I read this via email from DailyLit. It's an easy way to read the classics in a few minutes a day. I enjoyed this sweet story. Kids who read this certainly get a good dose of moral instruction. One thing that amused me a little was the mother taking the children out of school for a year so they could spend more time outside playing and getting exercise so they wouldn't suffer from using their brains too much.
Serena
Aug 26, 2008 Serena rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone who believes life should kinder, sweeter and filled with good old fashioned joy!
Recommended to Serena by: My dad, since it came out of his library.
I started reading this book as a youth and never finished it. Throughout the years the joy and sweetness I recieved through the chapters I read lingered. Now I've tracked the cherished book down in dad's library and have brought it to my home to enjoy with leasure. And I have enjoyed! What a dream it would be to write with the grace and inspiration of Louisa May Alcott.
Risa (a.k.a Saari)
My rating here is in memory of what I thought of this book as a child. I loved it and read it through about two or three times. Looking back now, I'm not sure I would give it a four-star rating...I might. It was a slow moving book, detailing the life of a little girl called Jill. It's very much along the lines of Little Women, but a lot more domesticated.
Pam
I loved this book!!! The morals made it a better book!! I loved how the children got in trouble, bickered, sometimes unkind to each other but still remain friends. Being over sensitive was out of the question bring teased was life and you learned let it roll off your back and stay friends. Also kindness and integrity was so refreshing. Great book!!!
  • Clover (Carr Family, #4)
  • Carney's House Party (Deep Valley, #1)
  • Mother
  • Heidi's Children
  • Theater Shoes (Shoes, #4)
  • The Wouldbegoods (Bastable Children, #2)
  • The School at the Chalet (The Chalet School, #1)
  • A School of Her Own
  • Beric the Briton
  • The Lost Prince
  • Pollyanna Grows Up (Pollyanna #2)
  • The Substitute Guest
As A. M. Barnard:
Behind a Mask, or a Woman's Power (1866)
The Abbot's Ghost, or Maurice Treherne's Temptation (1867)
A Long Fatal Love Chase (1866 – first published 1995)
First published anonymously:
A Modern Mephistopheles (1877)

Louisa May Alcott was born in Germantown, Pennsylvania on November 29, 1832. She and her three sisters, Anna, Elizabeth and May were educated by their father, philosopher/ t
More about Louisa May Alcott...
Little Women (Little Women, #1) Little Men (Little Women #2) Eight Cousins Jo's Boys (Little Women, #3) Rose in Bloom (Eight Cousins #2)

“Our actions are in our own hands, but the consequences of them are not. Remember that, my dear, and think twice before you do anything.” 19 likes
“One of the sweet things about pain and sorrow is that they show us how well we are loved, how much kindness there is in the world, and how easily we can make others happy in the same way when they need help and sympathy.” 14 likes