Start by marking “Emma and I” as Want to Read:
Emma and I

Sheila Hocken

Emma and I

4.09 of 5 stars 4.09  ·  rating details  ·  197 ratings  ·  31 reviews
As a girl, Sheila never let her gradual descent into blindness prevent her from trying to do everything a sighted person could do. Then at 17, unable to see to find her way around the house she grew up in, she found herself dreading her future in an 'ever darkening vacuum'.

But then the remarkable Emma enters her life, and Sheila begins a journey that brings her the indepen
Published November 10th 2011 by Ebury Digital (first published 1978)

To ask other readers questions about Emma and I, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Emma and I

Andrea
Emma and I is a touching story by Sheila Hocken; indeed it is an autobiographical tale of her fight for sight and her relationship with her 'eyes', Emma, a beautiful chocolate Labrador: her guide dog.

This memoir is an inspirational story of how Sheila refused to accept her blindness; she found independence through her pairing with Emma, love through her other senses (her hearing and the radio, no less) and finally she rediscovered the world anew after fighting for pioneering treatent to restore
Read Kirklees
I first read this book as a child. I was the kind of kid that roams your bookshelves and picks whatever she fancies; I came across my mum’s copies of Sheila Hocken’s autobiographies on a random shelf one summer and read through the whole five-part series in a greedy daze. I imagine my parents were pleased to have a short break from me clamouring for more reading material.

Sheila’s story (first published 1978) is tremendously uplifting to read, as a child or as an adult. You’re taken through her e
The Cats Mother
Lovely memoir about a woman who gradually loses her sight through her childhood, and is eventually provided with a chocolate lab called Emma to be her guide dog, opening up the possibility of a normal life. It was written in the early 70s when treatments for blindness were not so developed and therefore many more people were affected. Sheila bonds immediately with her clever dog and describes in some detail how Emma helps her day to day. It was moving and quite funny, as well as a good insight i ...more
Natasha
Unbelievably hard to put down. Whenever I was away from its pages I found my mind wandering back to them anyways.
Mrs Hocken is truly inspirational, but she would not be if she didn't have Emma. Together, they are heroic and a force to look up too. It's incredible the bond that can be forged between two , the trust that can be built and the the sense of individuality that being together can give.
Suzy
This is a beautiful, easy-to-read story about love, patience and miracles. Not only does it tell a wonderful story about the work of assistance dogs, but it also tells a story about the life of an unsighted person, and the challenges and triumphs that they face every day.

If you love this book, you should also read Thunder Dog by Michael Hingson. You won't be disappointed.
Andi
Az alapja jó, Emma egy tündér, bár nem rajongok a kutyákért…ez van, macska párti vagyok, de tagadhatatlan, hogy egy macska nem lenne képes arra, amire Emma.
A Láthatatlan kiállításon szerzett tapasztalataim szerint amit írt az írónő, én azt az élményt átültetve szinte vele együtt éltem meg, így ez nagyon sokban segített megérteni őt. Én amit akkor éreztem, az a színtiszta pánik volt, félelem a sötéttől, a balesettől, konkrétan mindentől. Életem legrosszabb élménye volt ott lenni a sötétben, boto
Chloe Smith
This is an amazing and touching book. As a blind person myself, I can only feel lucky that I haven't experienced half of the problems that Sheila did. The reason I gave 4 stars and not 5 however, is because I take some of the contents of the book with a pinch of salt. Some things are exaggerated and portray blind people in a bad light. It isn't as depressing as she makes out and blind people shouldn't be pittied for it.
Emma
A love great memoir that has a dog named Emma (like my name) and passionate young woman named Sheila that never let anything get in her way despite her blindness amazing
Lucy Ellen
Her writing was a little hard to keep me reading, but the story is beautiful and I'm making sure when I'm older my kids read it!
Trish Wade
Interesting story. Easy reading.
Julie Haigh
Jan 04, 2014 Julie Haigh rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone, fans of true life stories
Recommended to Julie by: saw Sheila Hocken on TV years ago promoting her book
A beautiful story.

I read this book many years ago but it's one that has stayed in my mind, it made quite an impression on me. I've actually read it twice as I enjoyed it so much. It is about a woman who has a hereditary sight problem and eventually her sight gets so bad that she needs to get a guide dog. This is a marvellous book about Sheila's early years then about her meeting Emma her guide dog, training together, their life together and eventually meeting her husband. There are many lovely p
Dianeparente62gmail.com
A delightful little book detailing the trials of a blind person in a seeing world and the dramatic change made by a Guide Dog named Emma. The book then moves into the third stage of the author's life where a happy ending is revealed. The author has the ability to pull the reader into her world with facts and observations in a matter of fact, this is how it is style
Maggie White
Lovely book about the relationship between Shiela and her guide dog Emma.
Made me think about the world in a different way and be aware of the things I take for granted. The gift of sight is so important in our day to day lives that I cannot contemplate life without it. This book humbled me.
Jemma
I am only 10 but I absolutely LOVE the Sheila Hocken books. I have just read Emma and Company for the second time. it makes me cry every time! it is most touching when you read this book Emma and I and then Emma VIP, Emma and Company ect
I rate it 5. (1000000000 if I could)
READ IT!!
Janine Skevington
An amazing touching story of Sheila Hocken who was blind and the relationship she had with her guide dog Emma. Emma was not only her 'eyes' but became her best friend and later was part of her family.
Courte
This book shows what a wonderful bond a dog and their human can share. Emma is such a smart dog and continued to amaze me throughout the book. And Sheila is an inspiration. This is a great read.
Cindy
A wonderful story of a blind woman and her guide dog. I enjoyed reading about the amazing capabilities of the dog and how she enabled the woman to live a normal life. Definitely recommend this book.
Kellie Marie
I loved this book from beginning to end. It shows a great journey of how some people with certain disabilities copy in life and continue to live their lives like any other person.
Sally
First-hand account of coping with blindness, and the difference a seeing-eye dog makes; suitable for kids 12 and up too.
Sandy
Love this book! The things this lady achieved without sight is amazing!! Some I can't achieve with sight!!
Kate (Trojanhorse)
A very engaging read. Emma's abilities are amazing and it makes you realise just how intelligent dogs can be.
Clemma Waddell
Beautiful, tear-jerker, inspiring, makes me love my dog more and more and be grateful for what I have.
Ashie Hettige Ranathunga
Its perfect.... Want to read the other books too.... Its a must read for all dog lovers.. !!
Melinda Worfolk
I read this book when I was a kid and absolutely loved it. Highly recommended for animal lovers.
Michelle
exciting, fascinating story of guide dog and transition from blindness to sight
Nadia
A really moving true story about a blind girl and her amazing guide dog
Linda
A really touching true story about a blind woman and her guide dog, Emma.
Rachel
My favorite book along with 100 years of solitude... So great!
Lee Savino
Nice little read about a lady and her guide dog.
Pauline
One of my favourite books ever
  • Every Night, Josephine!
  • My Father's Fortune
  • Diana's Story
  • How Shall I Tell The Dog?: Last Laughs From The Master
  • Adopting the Racing Greyhound
  • Just One More Day: A Memoir
  • I Married Adventure: The Lives of Martin and Osa Johnson (Kodansha Globe)
  • Promises, Promises
  • The Lassa Ward: One Man's Fight Against One of the World's Deadliest Diseases
  • Little Men / Little Women Boxed Set
  • Sick Notes: A Doctor's Tale From The Front Lines Of Medicine
  • Not for Ourselves Alone: The Story of Elizabeth Cady Stanton and Susan B. Anthony
  • Helen Keller