Start by marking “Emma and I” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Emma and I
Sheila Hocken

Emma and I

As a girl, Sheila never let her gradual descent into blindness prevent her from trying to do everything a sighted person could do. Then at 17, unable to see to find her way around the house she grew up in, she found herself dreading her future in an 'ever darkening vacuum'.

But then the remarkable Emma enters her life, and Sheila begins a journey that brings her the indepen
Published November 10th 2011 by Ebury Digital (first published 1978)

To ask other readers questions about Emma and I, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Emma and I

Oct 09, 2012 Grammar*Kitten rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Emma and I is a touching story by Sheila Hocken; indeed it is an autobiographical tale of her fight for sight and her relationship with her 'eyes', Emma, a beautiful chocolate Labrador: her guide dog.

This memoir is an inspirational story of how Sheila refused to accept her blindness; she found independence through her pairing with Emma, love through her other senses (her hearing and the radio, no less) and finally she rediscovered the world anew after fighting for pioneering treatent to restore
Read Kirklees
I first read this book as a child. I was the kind of kid that roams your bookshelves and picks whatever she fancies; I came across my mum’s copies of Sheila Hocken’s autobiographies on a random shelf one summer and read through the whole five-part series in a greedy daze. I imagine my parents were pleased to have a short break from me clamouring for more reading material.

Sheila’s story (first published 1978) is tremendously uplifting to read, as a child or as an adult. You’re taken through her e
The Cats Mother
Lovely memoir about a woman who gradually loses her sight through her childhood, and is eventually provided with a chocolate lab called Emma to be her guide dog, opening up the possibility of a normal life. It was written in the early 70s when treatments for blindness were not so developed and therefore many more people were affected. Sheila bonds immediately with her clever dog and describes in some detail how Emma helps her day to day. It was moving and quite funny, as well as a good insight i ...more
Chloe Smith
Sep 15, 2014 Chloe Smith rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is an amazing and touching book. As a blind person myself, I can only feel lucky that I haven't experienced half of the problems that Sheila did. The reason I gave 4 stars and not 5 however, is because I take some of the contents of the book with a pinch of salt. Some things are exaggerated and portray blind people in a bad light. It isn't as depressing as she makes out and blind people shouldn't be pittied for it.
Sep 25, 2013 Natasha rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Unbelievably hard to put down. Whenever I was away from its pages I found my mind wandering back to them anyways.
Mrs Hocken is truly inspirational, but she would not be if she didn't have Emma. Together, they are heroic and a force to look up too. It's incredible the bond that can be forged between two , the trust that can be built and the the sense of individuality that being together can give.
Feb 21, 2013 Suzy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dog-books
This is a beautiful, easy-to-read story about love, patience and miracles. Not only does it tell a wonderful story about the work of assistance dogs, but it also tells a story about the life of an unsighted person, and the challenges and triumphs that they face every day.

If you love this book, you should also read Thunder Dog by Michael Hingson. You won't be disappointed.
Nov 28, 2015 Hikari rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Úgy gondolom, hogy ezek a csodálatos szeretetet bombák - de a segítőkutyák különösen - mindannyian angyalok. Ahogy olvastam a könyvet, arra jutottam, hogy ők jól tudják, hogy örömet okoznak nekünk azzal, ha követik a parancsainkat, és mint tudjuk, a kutyák akkor a legboldogabbak, ha boldognak látják a gazdáikat. Ezeknek a csodálatos állatoknak csakis az a fontos, hogy nekünk örömet okozzanak.
Mindenképp az a véleményem, hogy elgondolkodtató és maradandó könyv lett. Akit érdekel a vakok élete, hog
Aug 06, 2016 Amanda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This takes you on an emotional journey where a young girl finds herself going blind. That doesn't stop her from being as independent as possible and trying to be like others her age. There are times of frustration and anger, sadness and a feeling of wanting to give up, yet she keeps moving forward with the help of others.
When the darkness becomes total just before she reaches 18, her feqr nearly overwhelms her as reality becomes known. It is when the guide dog Emma is given to her that a sense o
Sep 09, 2013 Andi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Az alapja jó, Emma egy tündér, bár nem rajongok a kutyákért…ez van, macska párti vagyok, de tagadhatatlan, hogy egy macska nem lenne képes arra, amire Emma.
A Láthatatlan kiállításon szerzett tapasztalataim szerint amit írt az írónő, én azt az élményt átültetve szinte vele együtt éltem meg, így ez nagyon sokban segített megérteni őt. Én amit akkor éreztem, az a színtiszta pánik volt, félelem a sötéttől, a balesettől, konkrétan mindentől. Életem legrosszabb élménye volt ott lenni a sötétben, boto
Sep 02, 2014 EL rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A love great memoir that has a dog named Emma (like my name) and passionate young woman named Sheila that never let anything get in her way despite her blindness amazing
Mar 01, 2015 Bella rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I first read this book as a teenager in school and it completely mesmerized me. Looking forward to reading it again. Such joy.
Lucy Ellen
Her writing was a little hard to keep me reading, but the story is beautiful and I'm making sure when I'm older my kids read it!
Delia Gersh
Oct 05, 2016 Delia Gersh rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
you can tell the book was published decades ago...but still good
Lee Yahnker
Oct 12, 2015 Lee Yahnker rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
True story of a young woman who gets a guide dog and how it changed her life.
Trish Wade
Interesting story. Easy reading.
Julie Haigh
Nov 17, 2015 Julie Haigh rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone, fans of true life stories
Recommended to Julie by: saw Sheila Hocken on TV years ago promoting her book
A beautiful story.

I read this book many years ago but it's one that has stayed in my mind, it made quite an impression on me. I've actually read it twice as I enjoyed it so much. It is about a woman who has a hereditary sight problem and eventually her sight gets so bad that she needs to get a guide dog. This is a marvellous book about Sheila's early years then about her meeting Emma her guide dog, training together, their life together and eventually meeting her husband. There are many lovely p
Jan 12, 2015 Leonie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Vedela som, že to bude dobrá kniha, ale netušila som, že bude absolútne P-E-R-F-E-K-T-N-Á! Zbožňujem ju
Apr 10, 2016 Jo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sheila Hocken's memoir was very moving and inspirational. It made me think about the world differently and pay attention to things I wouldn't normally. After having read this, I feel like as a sighted person, I miss many of the finer details around us, which Hocken has used in living her every day life.

I must say that as a labrador owner (though not nearly so well trained as Emma must have been) it was interesting to note much of my dog's behaviour is so similar to Emma's.

Sep 27, 2016 Joelle rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was fine--I am just not a big animal person so it's not my cup of tea.
A delightful little book detailing the trials of a blind person in a seeing world and the dramatic change made by a Guide Dog named Emma. The book then moves into the third stage of the author's life where a happy ending is revealed. The author has the ability to pull the reader into her world with facts and observations in a matter of fact, this is how it is style
Maggie White
Lovely book about the relationship between Shiela and her guide dog Emma.
Made me think about the world in a different way and be aware of the things I take for granted. The gift of sight is so important in our day to day lives that I cannot contemplate life without it. This book humbled me.
Jul 04, 2013 Jemma rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am only 10 but I absolutely LOVE the Sheila Hocken books. I have just read Emma and Company for the second time. it makes me cry every time! it is most touching when you read this book Emma and I and then Emma VIP, Emma and Company ect
I rate it 5. (1000000000 if I could)
Janine Skevington
An amazing touching story of Sheila Hocken who was blind and the relationship she had with her guide dog Emma. Emma was not only her 'eyes' but became her best friend and later was part of her family.
Jul 19, 2014 Courte rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library-book
This book shows what a wonderful bond a dog and their human can share. Emma is such a smart dog and continued to amaze me throughout the book. And Sheila is an inspiration. This is a great read.
Apr 15, 2011 Cindy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A wonderful story of a blind woman and her guide dog. I enjoyed reading about the amazing capabilities of the dog and how she enabled the woman to live a normal life. Definitely recommend this book.
Kellie Marie
Mar 06, 2013 Kellie Marie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book from beginning to end. It shows a great journey of how some people with certain disabilities copy in life and continue to live their lives like any other person.
First-hand account of coping with blindness, and the difference a seeing-eye dog makes; suitable for kids 12 and up too.
Jul 16, 2014 Sandy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love this book! The things this lady achieved without sight is amazing!! Some I can't achieve with sight!!
Kate (Trojanhorse)
A very engaging read. Emma's abilities are amazing and it makes you realise just how intelligent dogs can be.
  • Every Night, Josephine!
  • Taken on Trust: An Autobiography