Start by marking “In the Earth Abides the Flame (Fire of Heaven, #2)” as Want to Read:
In the Earth Abides the Flame (Fire of Heaven, #2)

In the Earth Abides the Flame (Fire of Heaven #2)

Battered and bruised, suffering grievous loss, the company enters the great city of Instruere. They have to warn the Council of Faltha of the Destroyer's threat, and have no idea of the depth of treachery that awaits them.
Published December 1st 2006 by Orbit (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about In the Earth Abides the Flame, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about In the Earth Abides the Flame

Brian Hagedorn
Feb 05, 2014 Brian Hagedorn rated it it was ok
Just like the first book, the maps are incredible. Unfortunately, the rest of book isn't--just like the first book.

Much of this story is like the garbled mess of a first draft or something crunched out during NaNoWriMo. The book can never decide whether it should be omniscient or limited omniscient in its viewpoint, bouncing between the two for no reason whatsoever. More annoyingly, the characters act in a very decidedly melodramatic fashion, and often bouncing from one emotion to the next. The
Attila
Nov 04, 2016 Attila rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
The travelling party arrives at the capital city to tell the Council about the Bhrudwan invasion, but the Destroyer's minions have already infiltrated the capital, so the warnings are not heeded. Some of the good guys decide to travel to a remote location to recover the Arrow of Flame, an old relic that may aid them against the enemy.

I found this more original and intense than the first book, and I can say I liked it. The final scenes and revelations were great.
Ruth
Jul 23, 2011 Ruth rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
c2004. Second in the Fire of Heavens trilogy. The second book did not disappoint but ended somewhat abruptly for my taste. I know that the third book is out but if it had not been, I would have felt really cheated. It always seems to me to be publishers greed that breaks up these books sometimes or the editors of said publishing houses encouraging the authors to adopt this behaviour. Having finished the rant, the Company's next set of travails were just as good as in the first although I felt if ...more
Douglas
Apr 15, 2014 Douglas rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who read the first or are just in a hurry and skipped the first, arrow enthusiasts
The second book of this series continues in about the same vein of the first, but at least they are out of medieval Canada now. This being a trilogy, our protagonists' long struggles and hardships are meet with even more struggles and hardships as they come to terms with what is happening to the world and what they are called to do.

Perhaps the strongest parts of this part of the story, at least for me, is the growing realization of who the Most High is and what he requires of the travelers and h
Peter Smith
Jul 27, 2011 Peter Smith rated it liked it
This is the 2nd book in this series, and picks up immediately after the 1st left off. The group is divided and the main character sets off to recover an artifact with which to .... well we actually don't know what purpose it will serve yet, be it talisman of power, or just a rallying point.

All in all the story is good, and there is a revelation, of sorts, at the end as to what the quest is. Oddly though, after 600+ paperback pages, I really can't see what took so many to accomplish, except as in
Rachel
Jul 28, 2014 Rachel rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I suspect that I am never going to be a fan of Mr Kirkpatrick's so-called "epic" trilogy, mostly down to the fact that, for a doorstop of a book, it's very low on plot and characterization, concentrating instead on ramming huge amounts of preaching and religious fervour down the reader's throat. The Hermit, in particular, seems to have no other purpose other than to be held up as an example of how Hal's preaching is right, whereas everybody else is wrong.
Characterization is also not a strong su
Kevin
Aug 23, 2008 Kevin rated it it was ok
Kirkpatrick totally drops the ball in the transition from the first book. What started out as a promising, and perhaps great, reinvention of the classic pseudo-medieval fantasy bildungsroman turns into a hodge-podge of squirrely plot threads and tepid pacing. Combined with a startlingly ham-fisted shoehorning of bad theology into the middle part of the book, the overall effect reads like it was written by the bastard love-child of Terry Goodkind and Lee Strobel. Barely good enough to finish, and ...more
Mick
Nov 26, 2011 Mick rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
This is book two of the Fire of Heaven series by Russell Kirkpatrick and continues the wonderful tale. This time around the battle is no longer against the elements but now it mostly against evil rot by other characters. For this reason it is also darker than book one. The pacing is quicker and more interesting characters are brought into the mix. My one complaint is a minor one. There is no natural end like in the first book, here the ending is a cliff-hanger. Make sure you have book 3 on hand. ...more
Felicity
May 11, 2012 Felicity rated it it was ok
My mother gave me this series of books to read. There are a lot of descriptive battle scenes and an underlying religious message. Most books take me about a 3 days (if not busy) to a week to read. Each one of these took me a month. It was good enough to keep reading but it didn't hold my attention for long periods of time. I like to be swept away by fiction. Unfortunately that did not happen with these books.
Jeff
Apr 24, 2008 Jeff rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
It took me 2 times to make it through this book, but in the end i turned out to enjoy it. Yeah, it has all the familiar fantasy elements, and at times the characterizations could be better. But, the world is deep and well thought-out. If you want sorta a throwback quest fantasy and mindless fun, you would probably enjoy this book. more thoughts here
Aisha Mahmoud
May 09, 2013 Aisha Mahmoud rated it it was amazing
Sue
Mar 10, 2009 Sue rated it liked it
It was better than the first one. I usually get all three books of a trilogy at the same time (even though I get burned sometimes), and I was glad that this book was better than the first. I'm just starting the third book now, and I'll weigh in on the entire trilogy there. Oh, and I wouldn't put this series on the same level as LOTR.
Daniel G. Taylor
Feb 19, 2011 Daniel G. Taylor rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
I fell in love with the characters and the stories in the first book of this trilogy, but then the poor author got caught on the publisher production line and had to produce this sequel in twelve months. He lacked the chance to develop as an author and refine the manuscript to the same standard as the first, flawless, book.
Shay
Sep 04, 2010 Shay rated it did not like it
The religious overtones make the book seem familiar though not quite predictable. The plot is paced better than the first in the series, but still drags at times. And the ending was utterly random, as if Kilpatrick decided to just stop writing to save something for the trilogy.
Connor Ferguson
This book does a great job of continuing the adventure, as well as introducing new allies and adversaries. This also puts a great interpretation on religion and colonialism, which is saying a lot from me, since I'm generally unwilling to accept God in any form.
Lbd
Aug 02, 2008 Lbd rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
book 2 of a trilogy. good character development and scene setting. A real page turner if you like suspense built into the story that really isn't a suspense-type story. reads right up there with Feist, Eddings and Goodkind
Greg
Dec 08, 2010 Greg rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, epic-fantasy
Builds on the previous book well, developing the story and fleshing out the characters and plot. I like that the characters seem not quite stereotypical in that they are morphing in ways you might not expect...
John
Jan 20, 2015 John rated it really liked it
Incredible epic fantasy that will make you feel like your on the journey. The story plot was very intriguing, the twists and turns took time to develop, however, your perseverance will reward you greatly.
Maria
Feb 12, 2009 Maria rated it liked it
He is getting better. The character development certainly helped. The story is intriguing, and the character react very honestly to the fantastical situuations they are faced with. I like it!
Dani
Apr 10, 2012 Dani marked it as to-read
Guess it's about time I picked up this book again. Discovered I only made it 5 pages in as well. Oh goody have to read it right from the beginning.
Fred
Aug 02, 2011 Fred rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Amazing classic fantasy. Follows the stereotypical formula for success in the fantasy genre so if you aren't in the mood for that beware . . .
Nathan
A good sequel to a pretty good epic fantasy. Not as good as the first, but good for a "split the party up and transition to the third book" second book in a trilogy.
Andy Angel
Jan 16, 2011 Andy Angel rated it liked it
Finished this book in 2008, not as. strong as the first book. Typical of a 'middle book' in a series.
Brian
Aug 18, 2011 Brian rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very fun read. the author has created a very real feeling world. The landscapes are wonderfully detailed.
Matthew
Matthew rated it liked it
Jun 29, 2009
John Harris
John Harris rated it it was amazing
Mar 25, 2013
Kaleigh
Kaleigh rated it really liked it
Apr 06, 2010
Steve
Steve rated it liked it
Mar 06, 2009
Ethan
Ethan rated it really liked it
Jul 12, 2011
Julian Saheed
Julian Saheed rated it liked it
Jun 09, 2013
  • The Fate of the Fallen (The Song of the Tears, #1)
  • The Firebird's Vengeance (Isavalta, #3)
  • Legends of the Dragonrealm, Vol. I
  • The Uncrowned King (King Rolen's Kin, #2)
  • Orcs: Army of Shadows (Orcs Bad Blood #2)
  • Stolen Crown (Mithgar, #6)
  • The Bastard King (Scepter of Mercy #1)
  • Witches Incorporated (Rogue Agent, #2)
  • Tymon's Flight (Chronicles of the Tree, #1)
  • The Map of All Things (Terra Incognita, #2)
  • Clan Daughter (Queen of the Orcs, #2)
  • The Hidden Stars (Rune of Unmaking #1)
  • The Novels of Tiger and Del, Volume I
  • The Ragged Man (Twilight Reign, #4)
  • Full Circle (Castings, #3)
Russell Kirkpatrick was born in 1961 in Christchurch, New Zealand, where he lived until 2000. He is a geography PhD graduate of the University of Canterbury, and currently lectures at the University of Waikato in Hamilton. During the 1990s he was fortunate enough to work on two major atlas projects, as Deputy Editor of the New Zealand Historical Atlas (Readers Choice winner, Montana Book Awards, ...more
More about Russell Kirkpatrick...

Fire of Heaven (3 books)
  • Across the Face of the World (Fire of Heaven, #1)
  • The Right Hand of God (Fire of Heaven, #3)