Start by marking “Domain” as Want to Read:
Domain

Domain (Rats #3)

3.92 of 5 stars 3.92  ·  rating details  ·  2,983 ratings  ·  82 reviews
The long-dreaded nuclear conflict. The city torn apart, shattered, its people destroyed or mutilated beyond hope. For just a few, survival is possible only beneath the wrecked streets - if there is time to avoid the slow-descending poisonous ashes. But below, the rats, demonic offspring of their irradiated forebears, are waiting. They know that Man is weakened, become frai ...more
Published May 1st 2011 by Pan MacMillan (first published 1983)

To ask other readers questions about Domain, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Domain

Harry Kane
There is a whole bunch of Brit horror authors, who are more than equal to their more famous American cousins. Ramsey Campbell is like Peter Straub on ketamine, Graham Masterton is the snappier version of ole King, Barker is…Barker, Brian Lumley is Robert Howard meets Lovecraft meet Clancy, Shaun Hutson is like a better-paced John Saul, and James Herbert… James Herbert learned to write like Dean Koontz a decade before Dean Koontz learned to write like Dean Koontz, only James Herbert’s structure o ...more
Dreadlocksmile
First published back in 1984, James Herbert’s novel ‘Domain’ formed the third and final full length novel to his classic ‘rats’ trilogy (although a graphic novel entitled ‘The City’ was later released in 1993 which followed on with the storyline).

Incorporating a formula that should have guaranteed to produce nothing short of a classic splatterpunk novel from the godfather of the subgenre; not only was Herbert laying down the long-awaited third part to his hugely successful ‘Rats’ series, but he
Carl Timms
Jul 16, 2012 Carl Timms rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of great post-apocalyptic stories and creature horror
Recommended to Carl by: My wife
A brilliant final part and a real twist in terms of setting. London is hit by a nuclear strike wiping out most of the characters it introduces in the first 20 or so pages. Its an audacious leap from The Rats and Lair to say the least. We then get a combination of terrific post-nuclear apocalypse story with all the usual tropes; underground government bunkers, irradiated "mutants", the military, groups of disparate survivors trying to make their way underground and into shelter. Then the rats arr ...more
Tony Talbot
I have to say DOMAIN is the only book that made me physically ill while I was dipping into it - I've never found the nerve to read it all the way through yet.

Not because of the rats (or The Rats?) but because of the nuclear war premise.

I was a teenager of the Cold War, and expected never to make it to 1990 without going up in nuclear ash. Programmes like THREADS by the BBC and my research into fallout and the effects of nuclear war still tell me the best way to go would be quickly {shudder}.

Whi
Jesse L.
I used to be able to say I had never read a horror novel that made me want to stop reading because it was so dark until I read this novel. James Herbert is, quite simply, the most effective horror author to ever come down the pike and "Domain" is the grimmest arrow in his quiver. Describing the book to a friend, I told them: "Well, it starts off with World War III, and then things get worse from there." Radiation poisoning? Check. Burn victims? Check. Suicide and despair? Double check. Flesh-eat ...more
Dan Ashley
What's worse than a nuclear strike on one of the most densely populated cities in the world? What's worse than one of the most densely populated cities in the world being terrorised by mutant man eating black rats?

How's about one of the most densely populated cities in the world being terrorised by mutant man eating giant black rats after a nuclear strike?!!

Herbert ended a great trilogy in one of the most devastating horror novels I have ever read, combining two nightmares to create one in which
Graham King
I think James Herbert did well with his third 'Rats' story to avoid making it feel like simply more of the same, which Lair (while enjoyable) kind of did. The nuclear war setting added an effective new dimension to it all, with the book feeling as much about the characters' attempts to survive in the immediate aftermath of a nuclear attack as it was about great bug mutant man-eating rats - but there was plenty of that too!

I think my one criticism would be that it did feel really quite long in pl
Keita-Eiri Uesugi
So, I seem to make a massive mistake when it comes to James Herbert books, specifically ones to do with his "The Rats" trilogy...
Me being the stupid idiot I am, took "Domain" with me to London and read it on the train. No, not a good idea. I don't know if anyone remembers the incident of me reading "The Rats" on the way to London before but, lets just say there was a bit in the tube and then rats happened and in real life with me, the tube actually stopped in the tunnel and I genuinely freaked o
Sam
This is the final installment of the Rats trilogy (the others of which I haven't actually read) and finds London being destroyed in a nuclear attack, resulting in destruction, carnage and a race for any below ground structure that may offer shelter. As such those who survived the initial blasts were then terrorised by the black furred terrors that live below ground, away from the glare of the sun. As the rats find themselves in the majority and find food to be suddenly abundant they become more ...more
Dark-Draco
This is billed as the third in the Rats trilogy, but for once, the giant, flesh-eating mutants take second stage to a much more horrific event - nuclear warheads detonated over London - yes, five of them, just to make sure! The first few chapters detail the struggle to understand what is going on, the race to get underground, the wishes and frustrations of a handful of 'normal' people. But to add that sinister twist, once the survivors pour in to the underground, they are met by another group of ...more
Vix
as nuclear bombs drop on London James Herbert does his usual amazing moments of action with brief looks deep into ppls lives; so detailed you "know" them in moments.
I was unsure of some of the emotions JH was trying to evoke with the Kliptons; how selfish of them regarding their dog - actually just made me whoop when their bloody demise came!
The action never rests for a moment in this final installment of the Rats series, JH throws horror after horror at you.
Many years ago (25+) when I first re
Rick Gomes
wow, this really headed in a direction I was never expecting and made it the best book of the series, although not good enough to make me add another Herbert book to my reading list.
Equal parts battle with rats and battle for (or with) humanity it looked forward to finding out what would happen next.
I did think the end got a be lame with what was found in the lair but still, overall an enjoyable read.
Andres Prieto
Monster rat movies were some of my favs as a kid. A few that stand out, Deadly Eyes (duh), Ben, Willard, Graveyard Shift. There was one Italian rat movie that was kind of crappy but had an awesome ending, The Night of the Rats. Set in a post-apocalyptic future (Nukes. In the 80's it always was.) a small band of survivors try to fend off these killer rats while hiding in a bunker. While reading Domain it felt like I was reading a vastly superior novelization of that movie and in doing so inadvert ...more
Roy Bright
The final in the 'Rats' saga sees James Herbert explore the effects that nuclear war would have on a popoulation already previously plagued by giant mutant, human-eating rats.
Some of the ideas on offer are a little bit 'out there' but is'nt that what makes a good horror fiction book? The ability to dream and fantasise right out of the box.
Franki
Post-apocalyptic fiction is one of my favourite genres.
The Rats series by James Herbert is one of my favourite series.
Put them both together and what do you get? A freaking good read, that's what!

A very satisfying ending to the Rats trilogy.
By now, you know what you're in for with one of James Herbert's books and he plays to fine form, once again delivering a chilling, could-be-happening storyline with memorable characters that you either love or loathe (and he isn't afraid of destroying them in
Rachel
The 3rd book in The Rats Trilogy is a whopper, not only in terms of size, but also in plot. Like the other two books, and a lot of James Herbert's good ones, this will make you squirm. The rats themselves take a backseat for a lot of this one, being overshadowed by the nuclear catastrophe that kicks off the novel, but when they do appear, they still manage to steal the show. Characterization isn't too unbearable (one of Herbert's failing points is that his characters are sometimes so bland that ...more
D.M. Kirtaime
During my Army days I snapped up Koontz, King and Herbert as soon as titles became available.
Tramac1964
This one scared the living daylights out of me. Loved it.
Billy Waggledagger
All three in this trilogy are brilliant. Loved every word if it.
Beautiful_Jade
Dark, bleak, depressing and engrossing.
Lydia Graham
A great follow up to The Rats & Lair
Mazel
L'apocalypse nucléaire.

Londres rasée, anéantie. Ses habitants carbonisés, irradiés, ensevelis sous les décombres.

Mais, pour une poignée d'entre eux, réfugiés dans les abris ou les couloirs du métro, la survie est peut-être encore possible. Ils ne se doutent pas que le pire est à venir.

Car, sous la surface de la ville, les rats les épient. Les rats qui ont compris que l'homme, affaibli, sans défense, est désormais leur proie.
Titus Hjelm
Abrigements should be illegal, but hey, couldn't resist for one quid. Anyway, solid Herbert, pushing up the stakes from the two previous ones with an apocalypse in the beginning. Obviously, the rats survive... The problem (and this is most likely because of the abridgement) is that the rats become sidekicks whereas in the previous ones their development was the creepy part. Good finale for the rat theme, but do read the full book.
Mark
this follows a similar template to the others in series, but is missing the sordid sexual history and perversions of characters who's only purpose is to have no interactions with main story and get killed, I did miss this some what. One enconter does get drag out a bit too long, but overall a good read.
Bobby
This was my first James Herbert read and have found a master of horror. This the third in a trilogy of "Rats" horror but I wasn't aware of that and it truly stands alone. An atomic war combined with a horde of mutant rats leads to a non-stop battle for survival in central London. Not for the squeamish by any means. Sort of a Clive Barker, Stephen King mix. I am looking forward to more of Herbert's novels.
Craig
Great sequel to The rats.
Ross Armstrong
This is the third book in the Rats trilogy from James Herbert and it by far the best of this trilogy. The book opens with a nuclear blast devastating London forcing the survivors underground where they are now at the mercy of the giant mutant rats which have returned to London.
Herbert's imagery remains horrifying and stays with you long after you have finished the book. One of his best books.
Gwendolyn Stangel
I grabbed this in the airport for a family trip in the 80's. I can't believe I read this as a youth. It's haunted me for decades. The fact that I can recall vivid parts of this book all these years later is a testament to the creep factor of the story! If you want to plant a seed deep into your animal brain of the fear of giant rats after a nuclear blast, this is the book for you!
Craig
I first read this in 1990 and was gripped. It's very gruesome and fast paced in places. This book ends the Rat trilogy (if you ignore Herbert's 'The City' comic) and is as strong as the other books. Worth reading and it still stands the test of time.
Not only do the characters have to withstand a nuclear attack but also thousands of rats the size of small dogs.
Mathew
Probably Herbet's best book and certainly it's my favorite Herbert story. The rats are pretty grotesque, but the mixture of nuclear destruction and the small group's survival through the various horrors keeps you reading. Both the two previous books The Rats and Lair are worth reading in their own right, but Domain is certainly the most involving and keeps you reading.
  • Slugs
  • Chasm
  • Night of the Crabs
  • Quake
  • Famine
  • Blood Crazy
  • Yesterday's Gone: Episode 3 (Yesterday's Gone, #3)
James Herbert was Britain's number one bestselling writer (a position he held ever since publication of his first novel) and one of the world's top writers of thriller/horror fiction.

He was one of our greatest popular novelists, whose books are sold in thirty-three other languages, including Russian and Chinese. Widely imitated and hugely influential, his nineteen novels have sold more than forty
More about James Herbert...

Rats (4 books)
  • The Rats (Rats, #1)
  • Lair (Rats, #2)
  • The City: Graphic novel (Rats, #4)
The Fog The Rats (Rats, #1) The Dark The Secret Of Crickley Hall Haunted (David Ash, #1)