Start by marking “A Dancer in Wartime: One girl's journey from the Blitz to Sadler's Wells” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
A Dancer in Wartime: O...

Gillian Lynne
Preview

A Dancer in Wartime: One girl's journey from the Blitz to Sadler's Wells

3.51 of 5 stars 3.51  ·  rating details  ·  51 ratings  ·  7 reviews
London during the Blitz was a time of hardship, heroism and hope.

For Gillian Lynne – a budding ballerina – it was also a time of great change as she was evacuated from war-torn London to a crumbling mansion, where dance classes took place in the faded ballroom.

Life was hard, but her talent and dedication shone through and an astonishing journey ensued, which saw Gillian da
Published November 3rd 2011 by Vintage Digital

To ask other readers questions about A Dancer in Wartime, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Dancer in Wartime

Meggie
"A dancer in a wartime" was a nice surprise for me. I wasn't expecting it to be truly interesting and i certainly haven't thought i could identify myself with Mrs Lynne. However, to my great surprise, it turned out I did. I'm not saying content of this book will satisfy everyone. I'm sure people who are or had ever been 'on a stage' or have been performing as an artist / performer ( no matter if as a dancer, musician, actor, etc.). These people should at least give it a go. Mrs Gillienne uses ba ...more
Fluffychick
Gillian Lynne (for me at least) is famous for her choreography of ALW musicals, particularly Phantom of the Opera (as my all time favourite musical!!) but I was pretty ignorant about her background and early dancing career. This autobiography charts her childhood and early ballet career at Sadler's Well through the war, taking in the tragic death of her mother, the trials of London in wartime and her nomadic existence between loving relatives and ballet schools.
I loved this book,it was a enthus
Penny
I'd been looking forward to reading this but it was a big disappointment. Superficial, twee and irritating in its sugariness, I abandoned it after a few chapters. Life's too short and there are many other far, far superior memoirs of this period.
Zoe James-williams
great biography of a dancer through the second world war and the emergence on The Royal Ballet
Ruth

I wanted to like this book but found the pace too slow and the details too abundant. It read a bit more like a diary than a story.
Shannon Purcell-underwood
An semi interesting read if you are a dancer or dance enthusiast. Very superficial character development and not very engaging.
Aisha
LOVED THIS BOOK! I could barely put it down. The style which it is written in is so nice to read.
Diana
Diana marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2015
Jill
Jill marked it as to-read
Feb 28, 2015
Bethany Baird
Bethany Baird is currently reading it
Jan 23, 2015
Rebekah
Rebekah marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2015
Natasha Lloyd
Natasha Lloyd marked it as to-read
Jan 04, 2015
Teodora Grigorie
Teodora Grigorie marked it as to-read
Sep 20, 2014
Allie
Allie added it
Aug 29, 2014
Natalie Rowe
Natalie Rowe marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2014
Melanie
Melanie marked it as to-read
Aug 04, 2014
Sonya Heaney
Sonya Heaney marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2014
Kim
Kim marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2014
Slowreader
Slowreader marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2014