Start by marking “Sweetness” as Want to Read:
Sweetness

Torgny Lindgren

Sweetness

3.79 of 5 stars 3.79  ·  rating details  ·  244 ratings  ·  18 reviews
No doubt about it, Lindgren has joined the ranks of the greatest writers" Michel Crepu, La Croix

The woman had come from a city in the south to lecture in a small village amid the snowbound forests of northern Sweden. She was a writer. After the lecture in the village hall an old man who had been sleeping at the back introduced himself, as she was to be his guest for the ni
Published May 25th 2011 by Vintage Digital (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Sweetness, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sweetness

karen
Trav'ling lady, stay awhile
until the night is over.
I'm just a station on your way,
I know I'm not your lover.
Well I lived with a child of snow
when I was a soldier,
and I fought every man for her
until the nights grew colder.

She used to wear her hair like you
except when she was sleeping,
and then she'd weave it on a loom
of smoke and gold and breathing.

And why are you so quiet now
standing there in the doorway?
You chose your journey long before
you came upon this highway.

Trav'ling lady stay awhile
until
Joey
I picked this book up randomly from a mall kiosk selling used books. Definitely one of my better impulse buys. I found that this book almost had a fable-type aspect to it and I enjoyed that part of it very much. It is about two estranged brothers, both sick, but with polar opposite symptoms. The main character is a female lecturer trapped because of a snowstorm. She visits both brothers and they each tell their own version of their feud and the story of the woman that they both loved. I don't no ...more
Kim
Imaginative and interesting as a concept, yet I ended up feeling like it went on for far too long (and it was only 160-something pages!). Maybe this is due to the fact that the characters never become more human, only more and more like grotesque legends. The salt brother and the sweet brother, after a life spent to try and spite the other, are now both dying but struggling to outlive the other. Their albino woman who gets taken by the sun, the grandfather collecting honey, the ditch/wall they w ...more
Marco Kaye
Desolate and precisely told. Works like a fairy tale in that nothing feels out of place. Michael Haneke movie vibes. Story is about a lady writer who comes to deliver a lecture in a tiny tiny town in northern Sweden, and ends up living with a man who gives her lodging for the night, Hadar, in the last stages of cancer. Nearby lives Hadar’s brother, also dying but of heart disease. Therein lies the Lindgren, everyone is suffering.

The recipe, it seems, for a Lindgren novel is 1) Two ill men. 2) O
Adam
This deserves 3.5 stars. Sweetness is a good novel but ranks half a notch below other Lindgren books I've read. Here, Lindgren touches more on the grotesque than he usually does, and his fans will find it a must-read. However, I wouldn't recommend it as someone's first Lindgren book. Much better to start with Hash or the Merab's Beauty story collection.
Lena
Stranger than strange. Someone told me he was thinking of the Berlin Wall writing it. Love his way to make Sweden a strange and exotic place. I listen to his books, he reads them himself in swedish, and he is so so good.
Marco Freccero
Era un paesaggio in cui la luce del mattino disponeva di tutto lo spazio necessario.

Torgny Lindgren non è molto popolare nel nostro Paese, che ha scoperto la letteratura del nord Europa solo di recente.

Ma “Miele”, è un altro piccolo gioiello di questo autore.

Una scrittrice, di cui non si saprà mai né nome, né sembianze, gira la Svezia per tenere conferenze sulle vite dei santi. Nel suo girovagare, finisce in uno sperduto villaggio nel nord di quel Paese, e un vecchio si offre di ospitarla in cas
annik
И тут у нее между ног в дом проскользнула кошка:
— Значит, у тебя все-таки есть кошка, — сказала она.
— Она у меня всегда была, — отозвался он. — Ее зовут Минна. Она обычно спит у меня на коленях. А писает в меховую шапку за дверью. Я, пожалуй, ее убью.

Зима, горы, хутор на два дома. Два брата. У одного — рак, у другого — больное сердце. Оба при смерти, держатся только чтобы посмотреть как первым умрет другой, питаясь взаимной неприязнью. Между ними — южанка-писательница Катарина, застрявшая на ху
Lorenzo Berardi
One of the most original things I've ever read, though Hummelhonung (Honey) is disturbing and difficult in its own way. There's a dangerous lack of human beings in the counterposition of two twin brothers in a remote corner of Sweden.

Like salt and sugar the two old brothers are impossibile to mix together and the only thing that keeps them alive is their reciprocal hate. Each of them has a lethargic, selfish and out of time life just aiming to survive to the long wished death of his twin.

Torgny
Carina Svensson
Blod, var, äckliga dofter och annat snusk. Mustigt norrländskt och effektfullt uppläst av författaren själv. Mycket bra!
Emma Eronson
Udda historia om en kvinna som så att säga fastnar i ett hus på landet med en bitter gammal man som ligger i fejd med sin bror som bor i grannhuset.
Ffiamma
un angolo sperduto di svezia, il rapporto di amore/odio tra due fratelli uno grasso e uno magro - entrambi malati, una scrittrice che capita all'improvviso riportando equilibrio. il dolore, la malattia, il dolce e il salato, le vite dei santi, la morte e la storia che pian piano si ricompone. il grottesco esagerato che sazia subito, come un eccesso di miele.
Ruth Bonetti
Lindgren writes well, with evocative descriptions but about rather gruesome characters. Two brothers are holding out on death to outstay each other. A female lecturer is trapped by a snowstorm and during her stay hears both sides of a story which shows the bond of mutual loathing between brothers.
Arja
En lärorik historia om hur meningslöst hatet är och hur den äter upp en och tar över hela livet.-----
Jessica
have read most of this short novel but am not moved to finish it.
John
Lindgren is different but in a nice change sort of way.
Bettie☯
Missing from the library description box above is the name of the translator, who is Tom Geddes.

Opening paragraph: After the lecture she was going to stay at a little guest-house, and would be moving on the next day. She had her clothes in the big bag with the shoulder strap, and all her personal effects in her briefcase; books, writing pad and pens.
Etna
что-то в этом есть...
Tamhas
Tamhas marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2015
Moira Mcglynn
Moira Mcglynn marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2015
Tytti
Tytti added it
May 28, 2015
  • A Burnt Child
  • Underdog
  • God's Mercy (The Wolfskin Trilogy, #1)
  • Hemsöborna
  • Captain Nemo's Library
  • The Dwarf
  • Aniara: An Epic Science Fiction Poem
  • All Shot Up (Harlem Cycle, #5)
  • Den allvarsamma leken
  • April Witch
  • Korparna
  • The Great Enigma: New Collected Poems
  • Gösta Berling's Saga
  • Horrific Sufferings of the Mind-Reading Monster Hercules Barefoot: His Wonderful Love and His Terrible Hatred
  • The Death of a Beekeeper
Gustav Torgny Lindgren is a Swedish writer.
Lindgren is the son of Andreas Lindgren and Helga Björk. He studied in Umeå to become a teacher and worked as a teacher until the middle of the 1970s. He was for several years active as a local politician for the Swedish Social Democratic Party. In the 1980s he converted to the Catholic faith.
Lindgren began as a poet in 1965 but had to wait until 1982 for
More about Torgny Lindgren...
The Way of a Serpent Hash Norrlands Akvavit Dorés bibel Minnen