Go to the Room of the Eyes

Go to the Room of the Eyes

4.18 of 5 stars 4.18  ·  rating details  ·  33 ratings  ·  8 reviews
A family moves into a big Victorian house and discovers clues to a treasure hunt.
Hardcover
Published 1969 by Little Brown & Co.

To ask other readers questions about Go to the Room of the Eyes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Go to the Room of the Eyes

Emily of New Moon by L.M. MontgomeryGone-Away Lake by Elizabeth EnrightThe Wolves of Willoughby Chase by Joan AikenBallet Shoes by Noel StreatfeildA Girl of the Limberlost by Gene Stratton-Porter
Forgotten Kids Books of Quality
147th out of 296 books — 110 voters
Georgie and the Robbers by Robert BrightPennington's Last Term, by K.M. PeytonVeronica Ganz by Marilyn SachsEdith and Little Bear Lend a Hand by Dare WrightMatthew Looney's Voyage to the Earth by Jerome Beatty Jr.
Really Underrated Children's Books
53rd out of 781 books — 171 voters

More lists with this book...

Melody
Jan 28, 2013 Melody rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Melody by: Wendy Burton
This book made me late to ALA Midwinter. Where they give away lots and lots of free books.

I loved the Capitol Hill setting, especially because I was in Capitol Hill while I was reading it. I didn't find the house which is perhaps lucky because I would have felt compelled to ring the doorbell and demand that the current residents read this. I would possibly have demanded a tour as well.

The plot follows a satisfying arc as a large family of interesting kids moves into an old house and finds a tra...more
Susann
Aug 13, 2008 Susann rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Susann by: Laurie A-B
Laurie lent this to me, in preparation for my trip to Seattle. The book is good and odd. It's told in the first person plural, to represent the six kids in the family. There's a mystery to be solved, but the story is really about heterogenous city-living. These 1969 suburban kids move to Seattle and almost casually encounter school integration, stolen bikes, gangs in the Park, a home intruder and a somewhat shell-shocked Vietnam vet. The undercover cop disguised as a female nurse was a favorite...more
Bhan13
I loved this book as a child, even more since I knew the area. Reading it aloud as an adult so many bits seemed true to real life, especially at that time. Some things are discussed in a way that they would not be if written about now, but the story is just as strong as ever, a real-life adventure that kids still love.
We wished the author had written more books like this, but apparently she was busy with her six children and big old house (just like in the book) and her job as a physician (!).
Wendy
Spooky, clever, funny, and surreal. Contains some interesting views of politics of the late 1960s (discusses desegregation, gentrification, Vietnam PTSD). Intriguingly different, yet comfortably familiar.
Laurie
Mar 10, 2008 Laurie added it
Elizabeth Kuzina mentioned this book on maud-l, and when I looked into it further I discovered the setting was right down my street. Wendy and I found the house where the book takes place (former home of the author) and I was able to meet the author's daughter, who still lives in Seattle (Dinky in the book).
Oh, it's a good book, too.
Christiane
A mystery/adventure story set in Seattle. Written in 1969 some of it is pretty dated (the parts about the African-American girl bused into the kids school are cringe-worthy today) and parts of it are pretty unbelievable, but I really liked the Seattle location and it was a nice slice-of-life book from 40 years ago.
Lizz
Has a very modern feel and some great messages about urban renewal and multiculturalism despite being over forty years old. HIghly recommended. The kids are real, the mystery is fun, and Seattle is the scene.
Melissa Costa
One of my first mysteries as a child and one I still adore! So wonderful.
Hannah Marie
Hannah Marie marked it as to-read
Sep 02, 2014
Aubrey Clifton
Aubrey Clifton marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2014
Danielle
Danielle marked it as to-read
Mar 26, 2014
Michael Fitzgerald
Michael Fitzgerald marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2014
Chris James
Chris James marked it as to-read
Oct 06, 2013
Tess
Tess marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2013
Dichotomy Girl
Dichotomy Girl marked it as to-read
Aug 01, 2013
Courtney
Courtney marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2013
Laima
Laima marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2013
Aida
Aida marked it as to-read
May 01, 2014
Josephine
Josephine marked it as to-read
May 03, 2013
Sarah added it
Apr 28, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
620046
Betty Erwin successfully combined the careers of author, physician and housewife. A graduate of the medical school of the University of Wisconsin, she practiced anesthesiology, first in Wisconsin and then in Seattle when her husband got a job as a mathemetician at the Boeing Company. The Erwins and their six children lived in a large house in an older section of Seattle.
More about Betty K. Erwin...
Who is Victoria? The Summer Sleigh Ride Where's Aggie? (Aggie, Maggie and Tish, #2) Aggie, Maggie and Tish Behind The Magic Line

“It was one of those years when there was no summer. There was no winter either. It was just November all year that year.” 1 likes