Start by marking “Go to the Room of the Eyes” as Want to Read:
Go to the Room of the Eyes

Go to the Room of the Eyes

4.19  ·  Rating Details  ·  36 Ratings  ·  7 Reviews
A family moves into a big Victorian house and discovers clues to a treasure hunt.
Hardcover
Published 1969 by Little Brown & Co.

To ask other readers questions about Go to the Room of the Eyes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Go to the Room of the Eyes

Emily of New Moon by L.M. MontgomeryGone-Away Lake by Elizabeth EnrightThe Wolves of Willoughby Chase by Joan AikenBallet Shoes by Noel StreatfeildA Girl of the Limberlost by Gene Stratton-Porter
Forgotten Kids Books of Quality
210th out of 415 books — 183 voters
Georgie and the Robbers by Robert BrightShort and Tall by Ellie B. MorrisDippy and the Crocuses by Ellie B. MorrisEdith and Little Bear Lend a Hand by Dare WrightThe Lonely Doll Learns a Lesson by Dare Wright
Really Underrated Children's Books
68th out of 848 books — 212 voters

More lists with this book...

Melody
Jan 28, 2013 Melody rated it really liked it
Recommended to Melody by: Wendy Burton
This book made me late to ALA Midwinter. Where they give away lots and lots of free books.

I loved the Capitol Hill setting, especially because I was in Capitol Hill while I was reading it. I didn't find the house which is perhaps lucky because I would have felt compelled to ring the doorbell and demand that the current residents read this. I would possibly have demanded a tour as well.

The plot follows a satisfying arc as a large family of interesting kids moves into an old house and finds a tra
Susann
Aug 13, 2008 Susann rated it really liked it
Recommended to Susann by: Laurie A-B
Laurie lent this to me, in preparation for my trip to Seattle. The book is good and odd. It's told in the first person plural, to represent the six kids in the family. There's a mystery to be solved, but the story is really about heterogenous city-living. These 1969 suburban kids move to Seattle and almost casually encounter school integration, stolen bikes, gangs in the Park, a home intruder and a somewhat shell-shocked Vietnam vet. The undercover cop disguised as a female nurse was a favorite ...more
Bhan13
Aug 19, 2012 Bhan13 rated it really liked it
Shelves: juvenile
I loved this book as a child, even more since I knew the area. Reading it aloud as an adult so many bits seemed true to real life, especially at that time. Some things are discussed in a way that they would not be if written about now, but the story is just as strong as ever, a real-life adventure that kids still love.
We wished the author had written more books like this, but apparently she was busy with her six children and big old house (just like in the book) and her job as a physician (!).
Wendy
Aug 30, 2009 Wendy rated it it was amazing
Spooky, clever, funny, and surreal. Contains some interesting views of politics of the late 1960s (discusses desegregation, gentrification, Vietnam PTSD). Intriguingly different, yet comfortably familiar.
Laurie
Mar 10, 2008 Laurie added it
Elizabeth Kuzina mentioned this book on maud-l, and when I looked into it further I discovered the setting was right down my street. Wendy and I found the house where the book takes place (former home of the author) and I was able to meet the author's daughter, who still lives in Seattle (Dinky in the book).
Oh, it's a good book, too.
Christiane
Jan 12, 2009 Christiane rated it it was ok
A mystery/adventure story set in Seattle. Written in 1969 some of it is pretty dated (the parts about the African-American girl bused into the kids school are cringe-worthy today) and parts of it are pretty unbelievable, but I really liked the Seattle location and it was a nice slice-of-life book from 40 years ago.
Melissa Costa
Nov 29, 2011 Melissa Costa rated it it was amazing
One of my first mysteries as a child and one I still adore! So wonderful.
Kristine Hansen
Kristine Hansen marked it as to-read
Jan 28, 2016
Valeta Drake
Valeta Drake marked it as to-read
Dec 31, 2015
Amina TheWriter
Amina TheWriter marked it as to-read
Nov 12, 2015
Annie
Annie marked it as to-read
Oct 20, 2015
Jess Heying
Jess Heying rated it really liked it
Oct 09, 2015
Maria
Maria marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2015
Peggy
Peggy rated it really liked it
Dec 07, 2015
Sandra Gabriel
Sandra Gabriel marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2015
Isee Warburton
Isee Warburton rated it it was amazing
Jul 06, 2015
Clara-Ellen
Clara-Ellen marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2015
Ellen
Ellen added it
Jun 08, 2015
Kali
Kali marked it as to-read
May 18, 2015
Julia H.
Julia H. marked it as to-read
May 11, 2015
Clarissa
Clarissa rated it really liked it
Apr 24, 2015
Andrea
Andrea marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2015
Zoeeloise
Zoeeloise marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2015
Krista
Krista added it
Jan 06, 2015
Sue
Sue marked it as to-read
Nov 21, 2014
Lori
Lori marked it as to-read
Sep 29, 2014
vetchling
vetchling marked it as to-read
Sep 24, 2014
Ashley
Ashley rated it liked it
Sep 09, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
620046
Betty Erwin successfully combined the careers of author, physician and housewife. A graduate of the medical school of the University of Wisconsin, she practiced anesthesiology, first in Wisconsin and then in Seattle when her husband got a job as a mathemetician at the Boeing Company. The Erwins and their six children lived in a large house in an older section of Seattle.
More about Betty K. Erwin...

“It was one of those years when there was no summer. There was no winter either. It was just November all year that year.” 1 likes