Start by marking “My Turn: An Autobiography” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
My Turn: An Autobiography

Norman Wisdom

My Turn: An Autobiography

Norman Wisdom's early years could easily have come straight from the pages of a Dickens novel. Left by their frightened mother, ill-treated by a brutal father, Norman and his brother were forced to fend for themselves, sleeping rough in London and stealing food to survive. This is a rags to riches tale of the man Charlie Chaplin said would take his mantle and who went on t ...more
Published March 31st 2011 by Cornerstone Digital (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about My Turn, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about My Turn

Amy
Apr 26, 2013 Amy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this book in one day, being only 224 pages long. Funny story actually, I'm currently reading the fourth Game of Thrones book "A Feast of Crows", but I do enjoy a good non-fiction. After visiting a friend that had been away for six months working on the cruise ships I got a taxi home. We got talking about books, as you so often do... and he recommended this book to me once I told him of my previous reads. Now, for someone who had never heard of Norman Wisdom before that date, it was pretty ...more
Jack Gibson
May 01, 2013 Jack Gibson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biographical
Very funny, engaging and really interesting. Norman had a very hard upbringing, with an alcoholic and violent father, which drew his mum to run away and secretly see Norman and his brother when they were at school.
Great stories about childhood, the army in India and then his climb to fame.
And, thinking about the man, what a great title for this book. Norman is possibly the only person who makes me laugh just by seeing him doing nothing. It really feels like you are sat with Norman telling you a
Jon Honer
I loved Wisdoms films but not so much this book. Very funny and amazing at the beginning I got fed up when all he did was moan about the way people are today yet had said what a scamp he was in his past. Quite 2 faced
Simon Evans
Mar 06, 2016 Simon Evans rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If there is a textbook definition of the hackneyed, well-worn phrase "rags-to-riches" then this memoir is it.

Wisdom started from the absolute bottom, a street urchin with a loving mother and an abusive father. From this unpromising position Norman worked and cajoled his way to the very top. Yes, there is some luck involved but if anything shines through it is his irrepressible nature and his no-nonsense approach to hard graft.

It is easy to forget how phenomenally popular he was in his 50s-60s he
jazz-ee2
May 23, 2011 jazz-ee2 is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bookcrossing
I can't believe how long we have had this book and not got round to reading it, embarrassingly it's four years almost to the day since I first picked it up. I say 'we', as Mr Jazz is just as guilty, and has promised to make it the next book he reads. He's away this week, so I've got a few days to get it read and keep ahead of the game...!

This is a BookCrossing book, if you would like to have it next just let me know:
www.bookcrossing.com/journal/5037377
Ian Hallam
Jan 17, 2014 Ian Hallam rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes interesting autobiographies
Shelves: favorites, owned
A very interesting read from Norman's earliest memories of life at home, then living rough, joining the merchant navy then the army (twice) before embarking on his long showbiz career. I really enjoyed this book and was prompted to read it after seeing a TV program about him recently.
It's sad the way he ended his years abandonded by his family in a care home after all he had already been through.
Joolz
Jul 28, 2011 Joolz rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful story of a British Gentleman, that makes me proud to be British. I actually read this a few years ago now, and I was so proud of this man, his humour, his commitment to his work and yet at the same time his family, that I wrote to him tell him so, and he returned with a signed photograph for me. Ill treasure it always.
Gary
Sep 21, 2014 Gary rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I grew up watching Norman Wisdom films and after watching a television program of his life decided I wanted to read more about his life story. The book is full of the usual name dropping anecdotes but it also tells the story of a troubled life and an unbelievable desire to succeed. A quick read that I read in one sitting and found it to be fascinating.
Vaughan Anscombe
I grew up watching my mum laugh at norman, and have carried on that tradition. for such a funny man he had a hard life, I suppose it's in the comic genes.
but I read this through, and had to force my self to pace so I could lengthen the enjoyment.
brilliant book.
brilliant man.
Christian
Oct 29, 2015 Christian rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book, a great comedian that still makes everyone laugh, every time they show his work on TV.
Cheri Smallwood-ellerker
Such a great story , He had some hardships but he definitely came through them.
Peter
Jan 14, 2012 Peter rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm biased because I always liked Norman Wisdom.
Linda
May 10, 2009 Linda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

really enjoyed this book
Rachel Woodward
Aug 04, 2012 Rachel Woodward rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Makes you laugh,makes you cry!..a very good read from the king of comedy!...a book I found hard to put down.
Wendy Hamnett
Jul 29, 2011 Wendy Hamnett rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
this is a rag to riches story by the best and most love british comedian ever, it fantastic and well worth the a read
Tannia
Aug 27, 2013 Tannia rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Always loved his movies, not so much the book.
Carole
Sep 13, 2012 Carole rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This made me laugh and cry love this guy since I was a kid so to read about his life was wonderful
Sally Daffarn
Oct 13, 2012 Sally Daffarn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audible
Seeing I can't stand his humour I was amazed with this book. It is so insightful of why he is like he is and why he does what he does. His life was hard indeed.
N.Haseldine
N.Haseldine rated it it was amazing
May 05, 2016
Andy
Andy rated it really liked it
Aug 22, 2016
Jairus Barclay
Jairus Barclay rated it liked it
Sep 13, 2012
Matthew Standrin
Matthew Standrin rated it liked it
Jan 03, 2016
Pam
Pam rated it really liked it
Dec 09, 2014
mrs Lesley Campbell
mrs Lesley Campbell rated it it was amazing
Mar 15, 2016
Daniel Morgan
Daniel Morgan rated it it was amazing
Jan 06, 2017
Yvonne Ruston
Yvonne Ruston rated it it was amazing
Jun 06, 2016
Lee Langford
Lee Langford rated it really liked it
Feb 04, 2016
The Dude
The Dude rated it it was amazing
Nov 11, 2009
Emma Brock
Emma Brock rated it it was amazing
Mar 02, 2012
Connor
Connor rated it it was amazing
May 28, 2013