Start by marking “The Best of Daughters” as Want to Read:
The Best of Daughters

The Best of Daughters

3.99  ·  Rating Details  ·  132 Ratings  ·  23 Reviews
Despite her privileged upbringing, Daisy Lennox has always longed to make something of her life.

She is drawn to the suffragette movement, but when her father faces ruin they are forced to move to the country and Daisy’s first duty is to her family.

Here she becomes engaged to her childhood friend – a union both families have dreamed of.

But, on the eve of their wedding, war
Published November 1st 2012 by Cornerstone Digital

To ask other readers questions about The Best of Daughters, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Best of Daughters

Tara Chevrestt
I'm not fond of Lady Mary. I think she's uptight and makes choices for the wrong reasons, but that doesn't deter me from watching and thoroughly enjoying Downton Abbey. Just like my unsure feelings of this heroine, Daisy, didn't deter me from enjoying this novel.

It's the eve of WWI and Daisy, the daughter of wealthy parents fallen on hard times, is trying to decide just who she is. The world is changing. She must change with it.

There's only one servant throughout the story, really, so the novel
writer...
Published: March 18.13
Pages: 448
Publisher: RandomHouse UK-North America

Posting the 2nd book review in this March series for
Women's History Month -
For this story, we enter the era leading up to,
then WWI itself. Author Dilly Court paints main character,
Daisy Lennox, as a strong willed young woman unwilling to settle for the status quo. Her interest in the suffragettes is just the first of
unusual involvements Daisy pursues. Her sense of justice
informs her life decisions and path she chooses. Well
Marlene
Sep 03, 2013 Marlene rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Originally published at Reading Reality

The Best of Daughters reminded me strongly of four different works: Upstairs, Downstairs, The Ashford Affair by Lauren Willig, Charles Todd’s Bess Crawford series, and the very long shadow cast by Downton Abbey.

The World War I era has suddenly become very popular, thanks to Downton Abbey, but Upstairs, Downstairs, definitely the precursor for Downton Abbey, was also set in that same period of social upheaval. Great change makes for great drama.

The Best of D
Nancy
Feb 19, 2014 Nancy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A Wealthy Family Faces Tragedy in the WWI Era

On the eve of her twenty-first birthday, Daisy Lennox is caught up in the suffragette movement. In her wealthy family, this is a scandal. Daisy doesn't want to cause her parents pain, but she also wants to do what she believes is right. Her friend Ruby tempts her to come to one of their demonstrations. When Daisy sees Ruby being taken away by the police, she gets into the fray and ends up in custody herself.

The scandal of Daisy's arrest is overshadow
Gaele
Feb 15, 2014 Gaele rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: net-galley
My first introduction to Dilly Court, and I am thoroughly pleased to have the opportunity to read and review her work.

Set in the early 1900’s, just before the advent of WW1, this story manages to incorporate romance, hardship and scandal with a determined young woman at the center. Daisy is the eldest daughter in this well-to-do upper middle class family, with a mother who is decidedly difficult and spoiled, a brother that is heedless and snobbish at the best of times, and a younger sister. Whe
Ria
May 11, 2014 Ria rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A wonderful historical novel set in the Edwardian era.
Daisy Lennox is from a good family and has everything to look forward to in life and her rebellious spirit even leads her to get involved in the Suffrage movement against her family's wishes.
She is all but formally betrothed to her childhood friend and constant companion, Rupert Pendleton.
Then a disaster strikes the family when her father's business partner swindles him and the firm itself out of money so the Lennox family is essentially rui
Zara Pemberton
Dec 24, 2014 Zara Pemberton rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was given to me by my mother in law on the day of a operation. I have also had a tough two years. I was gripped by this book from page one. When they crashed and they said they couldn't get a doctor due to cost. I remembered this was based on a time before the NHS. l learnt that different classes couldn't court each other. I learnt that they earn 125 per year. I felt I was in this book and visualising the characters. When they questioned if war was going to be declared. It made me thin ...more
Joleen
Oct 24, 2014 Joleen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm going to do this review in sections. I'm 1/4 through it and, although I'm enjoying the author's writing, I'm frustrated with the main character, Daisy, and her choice of men. Rupert, her childhood friend, is handsome, a soldier, is very cool, knows her, and loves her. But the idiot is instead drawn to a cad who sleeps with women without regard to his seed, who declares he's like that because he thought he couldn't have her. She seems angry about his cavalier attitude, but still, Daisy finds ...more
Ruth
Oct 28, 2013 Ruth rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
As the eldest daughter and with a mama intent on improving her family's social position, Daisy knew what was expected of her, no matter how it chafed -- to behave as a lady ought, and to marry soon and above all, marry well. But in 1912 Daisy's world stands on the brink of profound change, and she cannot resist the siren call of the women's suffragette movement and its heady message of empowerment. Daisy believes that campaigning to see women granted the vote is a worthy passion, one that will a ...more
Patty
Sep 19, 2013 Patty rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's always a delight to be introduced to a new author and then to fall in love with the way that author writes. I knew nothing about Dilly Court before I accepted two of her novels for review but I now know that if any more come my way I won't be able to say yes fast enough. I had sworn off WWI and WWII novels for a bit - having read too many of them in a row - but I was sufficiently intrigued by the synopses to want to read The Best of Daughters. Hooray for breaking promises to oneself.

In this
Kathleen (Kat) Smith
While waiting on baited breath for Season 4 of Downton Abbey to begin, I was contacted with an opportunity to review a book that is a definite read for fans of the series. Best of Daughters by author Dilly Court takes readers into the look at the Lennox family living in Pimlico, London in 1912 just on the cusp of the future World War 1. As most aristocratic families of that time, the Lennox's hoped for a rich future through the marriage of their daughter Daisy and her childhood best friend Ruper ...more
Sep 08, 2013 Laura rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have found a new favorite author – Dilly Court. Dilly Court is an English novelist who writes wonderful romantic historic fiction. I read The Best of Daughters while we were camping over Labor Day weekend and I loved it!

If you are a fan of Downton Abbey, like me, you will appreciate the setting of The Best of Daughters. Daisy Lennox is the daughter of a well to do stock broker growing up in Edwardian England. She is rich, beautiful, and privileged, but she wants more out of life. She joins the
Audra (Unabridged Chick)
Opening in 1912, this novel follows Daisy Lennox, a grounded young woman from a wealthy family who chafes at her mother's Victorian sentiments and ceaseless criticisms. Newly involved in the suffrage movement, Daisy befriends a working class girl, Ruby, after clubbing a police officer with her parasol when Ruby is being beaten with a truncheon at a suffrage protest. What scandal comes of Daisy's action -- her assault is photographed and published in the newspaper -- is forgotten in light of a gr ...more
Muriel
Oct 21, 2015 Muriel rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good historical fiction, set in England just before and during WWI. I liked the heroine, a budding Suffragette who became a volunteer "nurse"/ambulance driver on the front lines.
Amy
Apr 28, 2014 Amy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Best of Daughters is a great and clean piece of historical fiction. I am so excited to have found a new author. Dilly Court definitely has a new fan. I just want to go and find everything she has written.
This story is set right at the beginning of World War I. It seems like this era gets forgotten at times. This novel is rich in historical detail and I found myself constantly the turning the pages. I can't believe it was 430+ pages long. It surely didn't feel like it.
If you love an English
Elaine Watson
A good story where in parts you totally lose yourself in the action and really need to know what happens next.
A Novel Idea
Requested by Sharon Govender
Andrea
Apr 16, 2014 Andrea rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another brilliant dilly court book this is a war story and love and family want to read more of her books.
Vicky Bell
Feb 04, 2015 Vicky Bell rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love Dilly Court.
Daisy
Jan 04, 2013 Daisy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good read with some strong characters. However I felt as though some of the main story lines were weak and if delved into more this would have given the book deeper and gripping feel.

I wanted to know more about the characters and more character interaction without the constant thought processes of the main characters.

Overall a decent read, but could have been better.
Isabella
Jul 30, 2013 Isabella rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have read a few of Dilly's books and this one was a bit different from the others. Although saying this, I thoroughly enjoyed reading it and felt that it was a good plot which was easily followed. I also liked how, as a reader, I got to see Daisy grow and mature from the girl at the beginning of the novel
Heather
Mar 07, 2013 Heather rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this and quite liked character of Daisy. I think it was nice to get the view of one of the nurses over in France during ww2, as many books from this period focus on rationing and bombing raids. This was a fresh perspective and another good read from d.c.
Lyndsey
Mar 13, 2013 Lyndsey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was the first time I have read one of her books and enjoued it a easy read. I will read more of hers
audrey snell
audrey snell rated it it was amazing
May 23, 2016
Jolene
Jolene marked it as to-read
May 22, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Mar 05, 2015 10:08AM
  • Soldier Girl
  • The Summer of the Barshinskeys
  • In Golden Splendor (Heirs of Ireland #2)
  • Christmas at Harmony Hill (Shaker, #5.5)
  • A Storm Hits Valparaiso
  • A Dream of Daring
  • Spitfire Girl
  • Hope Rising (Of Love and War, #2)
  • Only A Mother Knows (Article Row, #4)
  • Rosings (Pride & Prejudice Continues #2)
  • A Christmas Peril (The Teacup Novellas #5)
  • The Christmas Token
  • A Wartime Nurse
  • A Strange and Bitter Fruit
  • Jenny's War
  • The Lost Days of Summer
  • The Whiskey Tide
  • Pattern for Romance (Quilts of Love #8)
Dilly Court grew up in North-east London and began her career in television, writing scripts for commercials. She is married with two grown-up children and four grandchildren, and now lives in Dorset on the beautiful Jurassic Coast with her husband. She is the author of seventeen novels and also writes under the name of Lily Baxter.
More about Dilly Court...